My Thoughts After Running Through 07/29/2012 10:29 AM CDT
Some thoughts of mine after having run this event. There was much that I liked but also some areas I thought could be improved.

Overall, I had a very fun time with it. It was challenging enough in some areas. The area seemed well thought out and so did the story behind it.

Pros:

Scaling creatures to player levels was a great idea
Tying the historical aspect into a previous event was also a great idea
The puzzle concept was fantastic
Creatures were tied in very well
Treasure was just about right

Cons:
The biggest for me was a shifting maze that also had very dangerous critters.
Critters that implode AND critters that disarm, together - especially in a pay event. Very, very bad idea in my opinion
Long roundtime for the visions in an area that also spawns extremely dangerous critters. Also a very, very bad idea in my opinion

Some things I would like to see in future events like this:

1) Keep doing them!!! :)

2) I like the idea someone had of being able to "clear out" certain areas of the maze. There were clues in the environment to help determine your location. However, being under constant pressure by extremely dangerous swarms ultimately made it pretty much impossible for us to puzzle it out. Add in the shifting and it really becomes impossible. Maybe breaks things up where there is an area that does not shift that cannot be made safe. The shifting areas however can be made critter free. A bit of both worlds that way. Could even tie it in to a puzzle there as well. Solve a puzzle and lock down 1/2 of the maze so it no longer shifts. Something like finding shields with crests. Put shields on the right statues. Turn the statues the right way to all face the center of the garden. Moonlight hits all statues and the maze locks into place. Suitably dungeon-crawler-esque.

3) Rooms with cases or other puzzle elements are either permanently critter-free or don't do anything that gives roundtime. You have no idea how much we were praying that we didn't get hit with roundtime as we walked into room full of historians.

4) The hints were good, but made that element a bit too easy. Maybe change it so the hints don't show up until halfway through. Or after someone has already searched an area.

5) More of an opportunity to enjoy the grounds. As it is, I couldn't tell you about much of them since it was spent with massive screen scroll from spawning a dozen critters to shifting rooms to visions scrolling by. Someone spent a lot of time on it and I'd like to have had a chance to appreciate it :)

6) More puzzles. Interactive puzzles. Things that require teamwork. The Treasure Room in River's Rest is a great example of this. Requires several people working in cooperation to solve. As does the Huntress Shrine there. That also requires slowing things down though. Safe areas where people can puzzle things out.

7) More NPCs and more NPC interaction

Like I said though - overall I liked it. It's just that it felt more like a fast paced hack and slash sprint than a puzzle with combat and since I prefer the latter that's what I'd like to see in future events like this.

Thanks for a wild night,

Balinworn