Prev_page Previous 1
Academy Quest(ions) 07/21/2012 01:02 PM CDT
<<With no large groups coming in>>

I've been wondering about this myself, so I'll use this as an opportunity to ask those of you who haven't signed up a few questions:

I know this is the first foray into the world of small, cooperative quests, but if you haven't signed up, what's making you think twice beforehand? We seem to be selling out of the custom-scheduled events, but the general admission ones are only getting two or three people to buy in. Are the times not convenient? Is the quest too long? Too expensive?

Let me know!

Solomon
Re: hints? 07/21/2012 03:07 PM CDT
<<With no large groups coming in>>

I've been wondering about this myself, so I'll use this as an opportunity to ask those of you who haven't signed up a few questions:

I know this is the first foray into the world of small, cooperative quests, but if you haven't signed up, what's making you think twice beforehand? We seem to be selling out of the custom-scheduled events, but the general admission ones are only getting two or three people to buy in. Are the times not convenient? Is the quest too long? Too expensive?

Let me know!

Hi Solomon,

I was in the second run and don't plan on signing up for another public run. The primary reasons, for me at least, being the inability to group up with like level characters or to group with a good character mix. Given these are both reasonably significant success factors in the event, and the lack of tools in place to assist in managing this, it makes sense that folks who can put together an appropriate group would do so through the custom-scheduled event, and those that can't will either take their chances or pass.

Additionally, I think there has been a lot of bad experiences and frustration voiced on the forums which would also discourage folks from signing up with a random group. I did not enjoy my first experience in the world of small, cooperative quests. The experience did not meet my expectations on many levels - I was expecting to be challenged by puzzles (either mental or mechanical) but really it was more of a search-a-thon. I was expecting combat to be a portion of the adventure, but our experience was more like that of a full on invasion for three hours. I'm sure there was a lot of interesting lore and history worked into the event, but with the number of folks in our group, the near constant combat, and all the moving about, I really wasn't able to take in or enjoy any of it as it was scrolling off my screen before I could even skim it.

At the start of the event, I expected a bit more direction, fanfare, something? but it felt more like we were just dumped into a room. Possibly we missed some of the intro by wandering down a path at the wrong time. I was glad to see the coach collect me at start but was rather surprised (and annoyed) when I had to find my own way back to Teras at the conclusion. At the end I was pretty much glad it was over vs. excited that we had taken part in some great event.

Prior to my run, I committed to going on a private run for characters in their mid 50s (and in fact was trying to organize such a run). I'm hopeful that some of the changes that have been made will make for a better 2nd experience. Note that while I hope we "win" this time around, I don't believe this is a necessary requirement for having a good experience. I'm still having second thoughts on going though given how significant a role perception plays in this event. The character I wanted to bring, a paladin, isn't trained in perception so my feeling is that he may be more of a hinderance to the group than a bonus.

-- Robert
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/21/2012 06:25 PM CDT
For me, this quest just doesn't interest me. I don't really enjoy hunting much to begin with and the prizes overall just aren't things I want.

Diana

Can't...stop...collecting...fluff...
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/21/2012 06:33 PM CDT
I was on the fence about joining mostly because I'm only a level 16 Sorcerer and I'd just be a drag on the higher level groups. I had talked to a few people in game around my level about joining one of the under 20 groups that starts at today at 8:00 PM, but when I went to look at the roster I saw that a level 50 had signed up so that wasn't gonna work. The other under 20 group is tomorrow but its too early for me as it would be starting at 6 in the morning. Figure most people in the game have higher level characters so I'm probably not the audience that this event is made for.

I had been in a similar quest around Halloween '97 called Black Swan, it was a small group and we had to cooperate with each other to figure out the puzzles of the castle. I don't remember if there was level restrictions for different groups, but at that time there was no shortage of low levels to join up with.
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/21/2012 06:47 PM CDT
<<the prizes overall just aren't things I want.>>

Can you give a few examples of things that are missing?

Solomon
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/21/2012 06:47 PM CDT
Definitely appreciating everyone's input!

Solomon
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/21/2012 06:50 PM CDT
>I know this is the first foray into the world of small, cooperative quests, but if you haven't signed up, what's making you think twice beforehand? We seem to be selling out of the custom-scheduled events, but the general admission ones are only getting two or three people to buy in. Are the times not convenient? Is the quest too long? Too expensive?

The way that the event has been described both prior to and by those who have run it is that for the best setup you need to be near in level range and have certain classes with you in order to have the best shot at winning. Since it does cost money to run it I would want to have as good of a chance at winning as possible in order to feel like what I paid was worth it. Unfortunately I haven't seen a public group forming up with those classes and in my level range.

Also, the first set of prizes didn't have anything that I really wanted in them. The newer items are a bit more interesting to me, but I do still have some reservations regarding them. I understand that the enhancives are a lot better than what we normally see and that is why they aren't rechargeable, but I'd personally rather have a lesser version that I could recharge and keep using.
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/21/2012 07:17 PM CDT
I haven't run it yet, but will next weekend. That said, I thin the biggest knock on it is in the level range disparity. You need to figure out how to get people grouped within level ranges. Alternatively, you can figure out how to make level not matter in the quest, but in my experience, most of those solutions are a lot less fun.

Kerl
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/21/2012 07:31 PM CDT
Grimswarm warcamp mechanics work nicely for most involved, even those significantly lower in level. As I understand it, the capped grims don't target the lower leveled characters, only the grims that gen at their level do. Either that or the Drakes manage to kill them so fast it doesn't matter. If there are so many undead that it doesn't compare well to a warcamp, then perhaps it needs to be toned down a bit.

I could see where it would be hard to search and/or see room messaging similar to a loresong if you are being repeatedly inundated with undead. I thought that was addressed, though.

~Galenok
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/21/2012 08:20 PM CDT
For my part, I just can't stay up as late as I used to. I plan to attend, but either a custom scheduled one or a weekend run.

Godefroy

Morvule hisses, "Ssssally ssssellssss sssseashellssss by the sssseasssshore."
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/21/2012 09:02 PM CDT
As much as it was fun to do the Night at the Academy I honestly would not pay extra to play it. I think being that it has so many undead it would be a great addition as a quest at EG. The prizes/drops might be okay for some of the lower level peeps but I can get a 4x item have it altered to what I want easily enough. I thought the topiaries’ where great with the gems. I did not find it stimulating enough to bother signing up for another run. To be truthful "I thought it was" kind of boring. I am not trying to dump water on any that are going to run the maze, I realize that I was looking for it to be as exciting as DMC or even hunting the graveyard in previous EG's and in that I was disappointed.

If I am to be completely honest spending 16 dollars for Night at the Academy and going to see a movie, I would have to pick the movie, there I can get a ticket, popcorn and even have change left over for 2 plus hours of enjoyment. In my opinion I would add it to EG as a quest and give us an additional dimension to running around to merchants and digging, it may even boost EG ticket sales to have a run of the Academy.

~Shi'larra
One bold fella breaks from the chain and climbs up on Brinret's chest, grabbing a hold of the tufts of hair on both sides of his head and holding him still! A fat, wet kiss is placed before the monkey disappears
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/21/2012 10:07 PM CDT
Too expensive. Puzzle is just search-a-thon, not really much puzzle involved. Implosion casting capped undead just suck, period. Grouping like level people is rough with random signups.

Definitely agree that it works better as an EG addition. Just not compelling enough as a stand-alone pay event.

Prizes are ridiculously limited too. Enhancives should have been pick a skill, and have relevant stats enhanced along with the skill you choose.

-Richard/Fjalar.
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/21/2012 10:38 PM CDT
<<For my part, I just can't stay up as late as I used to. I plan to attend, but either a custom scheduled one or a weekend run.>>

I will keep that in mind for the next set of quests I post and start some of the weekday quests earlier than 9PM Eastern.

Thanks for the continued input, ya'll!

Solomon
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/21/2012 10:45 PM CDT
There's nothing overly specific. I just liked the large prize pool from Droughtman's more.

Can't...stop...collecting...fluff...
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/22/2012 02:36 AM CDT
>> I know this is the first foray into the world of small, cooperative quests, but if you haven't signed up, what's making you think twice beforehand? We seem to be selling out of the custom-scheduled events, but the general admission ones are only getting two or three people to buy in. Are the times not convenient? Is the quest too long? Too expensive?

I ran in a group (that won), but am not likely to sign up for another public run so I'm going to answer anyhow.

[TL;DR version -> lack of knowing who you'll be grouped with is why I'm not likely to run in a public group again]

Time is a small factor (6:30PM [PST] when most of them were when I signed up is barely early enough to get home from work, let alone eat, see my wife, etc.), but more important is the complete lack of knowing who I'll be grouped with. (Obviously, more true the earlier you are in the signup process.)

When I sign up for something like this, I'm committing my money (less important) and my time (more important). I expect to walk away having had fun, but the prizes are certainly a nice bonus. (Nicer now that there's a bigger variety to chose from. For our run, there was only one - the orb - that I'd even consider.) For the design of this quest, "fun" is largely dependent on having the right group. In the public runs, this is a complete craps shoot.

Nothing in the signup process requires players to provide
(a) the character they'll actually be taking to the quest [which could lessen the next two to some extent]
(b) the character's correct class
(c) the character's correct level
When I was looking through the original groups, most players didn't provide level and I have no idea if any of the classes were actually accurate outside of our one run. (IIRC, someone actually brought a different character than they were signed up with). The lack of even know who is going to be in my group leaves me zero confidence in knowing that I'll have fun. I'd hate to be the level 20 in a group that is otherwise 80+ or the level 90 in a group that is otherwise under 20. In both scenarios, I'm not going to have much fun. In the first, I'll be just praying to stay alive. In the second, I'll have to mostly abandon the group hoping to keep them from running in to too many creatures I've caused to spawn. Neither sounds particularly intriguing when I'm signing up for a cooperative group event.

In a private run, the group may chose to risk not having a particular class or may chose to work with a large level range, but it isn't chance that makes that happen. (Assuming you known and trust the folks in your group, which I take as a given if I'm going to signup for a private run with them.) Unlike many (and perhaps because our group did complete it), I didn't think to quest was too hard or unbalanced. In fact, aside from the frustration of the maze and the long loresong RTs in hostile rooms (which has since been fixed), I thought it might've been too easy for a well balanced group. I am certain, though, that I would've had a better time in a more balanced group. (I'd gladly have the same players again, just a better balance of character levels.)
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/22/2012 08:16 AM CDT

I have several suggestions to improve this quest:

Offer SOLO runs instead of group runs with reduced artifacts.
Offer hints that increase in helpfulness the closer you get to the end of your time.

Get rid of implosion, get rid of disarm, get rid of anything that will cause item loss. This is supposed to be fun and losing your valuables is not fun, being prevented from using fun toys because of these outdated item loss mechanics is not fun either.

Instead of a shifting maze, a maze that shifts for each run. That way it's "fresh" for each run, but doesn't refresh while you're inside to avoid frustration, and to allow people to map the maze as
the creator suggested.

Remove the sanctuary stripping mechanics.

Instead of having to search every room, have certain small areas contain the artifacts so it's not all about searching every room and more about combating your way to the treasure rooms where you search for the artifact. You could have guards outside these artifact containing treasure rooms so there is something blocking the artifact, it would also indicate that an artifact may be found here.

When you arrive at the event, you're provided a "quest" kit to prepare you for the event.
- It has some goggles that provide 20-40 perception ranks for characters who have no perception training but still want to participate in the event.
- It has a blessing potion that blesses your primary weapon so you can combat the undead in the quest.
- It has a safety sphere that can be tossed to create an unbreakable sanctuary.
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/22/2012 09:12 AM CDT
Iferous has alot of good ideas there.

<<Get rid of implosion, get rid of disarm, get rid of anything that will cause item loss. This is supposed to be fun and losing your valuables is not fun, being prevented from using fun toys because of these outdated item loss mechanics is not fun either.

<<Instead of a shifting maze, a maze that shifts for each run. That way it's "fresh" for each run, but doesn't refresh while you're inside to avoid frustration, and to allow people to map the maze as the creator suggested.

My group (really unprepared and last minute) managed to get all the artifacts but because I died and had to go back to the beginning, they came back for me, and we were never able to find our way back in before the end because it had shifted while we were inside and had it all mapped out.

My one suggestion on top of all of this would be a list of what you are actually looking for. For the longest time I thought we only had 9 of the items. It took some research outside of the game (no bard in the group.) To figure out that one of the things I thought was just a gem was actually an artifact.
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/22/2012 11:29 AM CDT
>> Get rid of implosion, get rid of disarm, get rid of anything that will cause item loss.
>> I'm sorry but no event we pay for should have this potential outcome.

This. With about 100 !'s after it. There is no way losing something you very likely worked hard on, over a very long period of time, should get permanently taken away from you for an event you PAID ADDITIONAL money to attend. Particularly when, as Galenok pointed out, there was absolutely no mention of it by staff prior.

>> Remove the sanctuary stripping mechanics.

Seriously. My group had two empaths, one capped, one 51. Between the two of us most of our time was spent along the lines of: CAST 213 / dispel / CAST 213 / dispel / CAST 213 / dispel. Over and over and over into the realm of absurdity. Not just so we could search a room or read a description, but so we could get the 3-4 dead party members back on their feet. There's no reason to have this here, it's not helping. Given the time constraints and # of artifacts which need to be found it's not like we can just hide in a room with sanc on it and win the game. We're going to have to move around, but at least give a group the opportunity for a breather if they need it.

My two largest complaints about our run were the perpetual onslaught of undead, and the fact that the event had been marketed as "puzzles and quests" but in reality was, as Faulkil put it, a 3 hour long invasion. I have never in my life been bothered by any amount of screen scroll, but the scroll from that three hours gave me a borderline migraine which took until the next day to shake off. So here's some suggestions:

First off, the combat/scroll is a crime because it prevents players from actually absorbing or enjoying the detail that went into the event. Honestly, I couldn't have told you a single thing about the Academy after our run, about the lore songs, the storyline, nothing. Having gone back and read some of the logs I found that was a shame because there was a lot of very excellent detail there. I would suggest that you make the Academy safe. Leave the masses of undead in the maze, so players are going to have to put due diligence in to combat there to find the artifacts within and find the fracture, but give them the time within the walls of the Academy to READ. To puzzle, explore, and pass out from stress if necessary. Let the rogue sit in the hallway and pick locks if that's what they choose to do, let people wander around from room to room, search, regroup. If you wanted to have the orchard full of the undead, fine. But at least give us the opportunity enjoy the flavor of the work that went into this instead of fighting for 3 hours solid and needing a quart of Tylenol after.

Additionally, I would attempt to add more puzzle to the adventure. Instead of having an empty case with a plaque telling you "Here's what you need -- go find it!", spread clues out inside the building; in a portrait, a letter, someone's armoire or bookshelf. This exchanges the time spent endlessly slaughtering (or being slaughtered by) undead for actual puzzle solving, collaboration with other members of the party, and perhaps instilling more of a sense of the story behind it all.

The worst part of the event is clearly the level disparity. Since there are no mechanics in place to permit public signups based on level, then possibly y'all should just chalk this one up to private charter. Continue to advertise it, yes, but let folks sort out their own groups to prevent that lone 100 from killing, and having their own time, killed by disparity. If you want to provide a means for single players to be able to sign up, maybe create some additional threads on the forums per level grouping where they can find others and figure out a well-balanced group.

~Niadja
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/22/2012 11:47 AM CDT
P.S.

Amidst all the grumbling and rumbling, I do want to put out huge kudos to Alyias, for listening and really going all-out to make adjustments to the event as needed. Loads of respect to you for jumping in with sleeves rolled up and keeping an objective ear tuned -- it's huge.

~Niadja
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/22/2012 11:53 AM CDT

I think what I am reading is that the mechanics over-roode the story. Or perhaps the story was missed altogether by those who signed up. I went into this event thinking that some big bad nasties had stolen some stuff, and in order to make everything right in the world we would have to fight them, find the items and replace them. Having completed this quest in the first run before it was nerfed, I came out of this event with those expectations met.

The things I knew, going into this, was that with our group ranging from 14, to cap, was that it wasn't going to be a cakewalk. I understood that the bad guys were going to gen against the cap characters present. Having fought undead for years, I had a pretty good idea that any sanctuary cast would have a chance of being dropped.

Things I did not know, but made sense for the story being told were that there is no safe spot once the quest begins, and that sometimes bad guys cast voids. They also cast major ewave, which IMO, is a helluva lot worse than a void, beside the point.

The only thing I have heard that made me go hmm, was the diarming tactics. It did not happen to anyone in my group, but I can't say it wasn't attempted either.

We found every artifact, we placed every artifact, we kicked the bad guys in the butt, we saved the world.

Without gen rates lowered, without messaging guiding us (aside from the announcer giving us time/total updates), without areas made safe, with the maze shifting, and with capped creatures at every turn.

I feel like everything was exactly as I expected it to be.

The only drawback or downside that saw or feel someway about was the deathsting, but that was my choice, and it's already gone.. no potion use either. The other thing I feel slighted about was that I feel we likely left millions of silvers worth of treasure behind, that stings more than anything else.

An RPA at the end, completed quest or not, would be a nice boon. If it's there already, well then good show!

~
From behind the cell door, a giantman's gruff voice shouts, "You should have killed me when you could have!"
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/22/2012 12:16 PM CDT
From my experience beta testing in Plat the creatures were very infrequent and very weak for a capped group. Alyias had told us he was going to rectify that but, from what I've read, he went WAY overboard. My experience was more of a search and find quest with occational fighting. Which was what I expected. I didn't find it very exciting but I enjoyed digging gems out of the maze, looking at the items, having a bard loresing (before we all got the song btw) and getting bits of history. Overall it sounds like the creature gen went from snooze fest to invasion and it needs a happy medium. The maze shifting was an annoyance in our run as well but we managed.

Overall I think this has potential but even polished to a sheen it isn't going to be worth what they're charging for it with the current prize structure. As others have pointed out this price point competes with an evening at the movies for me (and my wife even, yay small town cinema). If I get 16 bucks spare to drop on entertainment there's just no contest between Night at the Academy and any decent movie. I don't even have to "win" the movie to get the small popcorn and soda I can afford with that!

Keith/Brinret

Five Jewish men who influenced the history of Wester Civilization:
Moses said the law is everything.
Jesus said love is everything.
Marx said capital is everything.
Freud said sex is everything.
Einstein said everything is relative.
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/22/2012 04:54 PM CDT

Reasons for my not signing up currently.
1. The level disparity, those folks I'd like to go with and trust to be good teammates all have characters that vary in level from my own. I'd really want a solid core in my run so I'm not just gambling on the skill/attitudes/attention of 2-9 other players. If you could find a way to equalize everyone's level that would make signups a bit easier. I realize balance would suffer as people that are higher then the assumed eqalized level would have more skills/spells/cmans than that level would normally provide.
2. Item loss. When someone commented that they experienced a disarm during their run when this wasn't indicated before tickets went on sale I was rather upset. I realize this information is now in the QUEST verb, but item loss should never be a part of a pay quest or even a storyline for that matter. If disarm was in play, how paranoid should I be if I was to sign up? Do I need to double bag everything in case ithzir are included on the run?
3. I'm not sure about the death's sting, I think it would be a medium deterrent to myself or at least it might keep me from signing up on my bard as I'm currently a bit more eager to level him than my other guys.

Suggestions
1. Perhaps tie the amount of swarming to the number of artifacts left to be found. When all 10 are still hidden things can start off crazy (this is also at the very beginning before fatigue might set in)
Every artifact you find or perhaps place in proper location turn off 1 creature generator. As the night progresses you should get more efficient both due to mechanics (less creatures), experience, and a system of exploration (player mapping or whatever system players choose to cover the most area in their searches).
2. Not sure if this one is currently in place, but I really want to be able to enjoy the loresongs assigned to the artifacts. If i'm racing against the clock and miss it when the item is placed let me have a way to enjoy it later.
3. For the items that aren't previously known, the scripts/verb traps being announced would make them far more appealing all around. I personally couldn't justify a 4x scripted weapon being a prize I'd pick unless I saw the scripts. If one or more of them fit a character of mine superbly..it's value skyrockets. After all I'm going to pick something I want to put to use.
4. Make the enhancive items account bound. If I want to experience the quest on a specific character who would appreciate it more, or perhaps I have to bring a specific character due to profession or level...but we win and I get a prize, be nice if I could use it on whoever I want.

Compliments
1. Your frequent responses, hints, suggestions, and tweaks from player input is wonderful.
2. Letting lower characters participate even though they're naturally going to have low perception is good.
3. The room hints about being close/very close to an artifact sounds very appreciated.
4. Prizes have a nice variety and some are very sought after. I know some will switch in and out which is a neat setup.

Lochiven
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/22/2012 08:30 PM CDT
Things I did not know, but made sense for the story being told were that there is no safe spot once the quest begins, and that sometimes bad guys cast voids. They also cast major ewave, which IMO, is a helluva lot worse than a void, beside the point.>>

I was in run 7, so maybe this changed after you went, but there was at least 1 place in the maze where I was able to meditate (so I assume it is a node) and creatures did not bother me. They genned in the room, but they ran out without attacking.

everan
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/22/2012 10:51 PM CDT
there are two main points keeping me from signing up. One is a lack of groups in my training range. The second one is i'm still waiting for the bugs to be ironed out and for a good balance to be found. If those things can kind of get resolved, chances are i will sign up.
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/23/2012 01:04 AM CDT

Being someone who can't cast multiple opponent offensive spells I like the current creature gem rate. I thought it was perfect.

Gravely
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/23/2012 09:12 AM CDT
Since, with the way this event is built, there isn't an RP-centric reason to pay actual money (and not be concerned with a specific 'item' prize) I won't sign up because the prize is a temporary one. If this had some sort of character-defining consequence/reward that would carry over to the actual game world, I would consider it.

At least with paying cash for EG, I might not be guaranteed merchant work, but when I get it, 99.9% of the time it never disappears and I have the chance for multiple opportunities for work. 99.9% of the time it's also not attuned to one character either, regardless of how powerful the work I got.

-farmer
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/23/2012 09:49 AM CDT
I don't think the armor/runestaves etc are attuned or crumble. I also believe the crumbliness was removed for items so you still have it even if it doesn't enhance any longer.

Velvette...bowcrazy
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/23/2012 11:46 AM CDT
The cost versus reward. The rewards, while potentially worthwhile, are temporary. Not to say all are, but the only ones I value from the list. I much prefer more character defining prizes, too, and if those were offered I would be much more interested.. custom titles, signature stuff, ez scripts, loresongs, etc.
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/23/2012 05:21 PM CDT
>>Amidst all the grumbling and rumbling, I do want to put out huge kudos to Alyias, for listening and really going all-out to make adjustments to the event as needed. Loads of respect to you for jumping in with sleeves rolled up and keeping an objective ear tuned -- it's huge.

Thank you, I appreciate that. :-)

>>I don't think the armor/runestaves etc are attuned or crumble. I also believe the crumbliness was removed for items so you still have it even if it doesn't enhance any longer

The only prize items that are attuned are the enhancive items. No prize item is crumbly.

>>Since, with the way this event is built, there isn't an RP-centric reason to pay actual money (and not be concerned with a specific 'item' prize) I won't sign up because the prize is a temporary one.

Only the enhancive prizes and a few select other prizes are "temporary" in nature, insofar as however long it takes you to run through the charges. There are many prizes that are fluff and decked out armor and weapons that are quite permanent in nature.

>>The newest changes you made to this quest were definate game changers, Alyias. The new messaging to let you know you are close by to the artifacts works out great. Thank you for that change.

Yes, I think that does relieve alot of the frustration about finding artifacts. Again, you can't rush through and hope you see it...but even more so now, do a methodical search. You'll find them for sure.

>>The only minor complaint I have was that it was just too easy creature wise solo. Just having one spawn every few minutes just seemed like too much of a walk in the park, for me anyway. Of course it's not really designed to be done alone so I don't know if upping the gen rate would throw a monkey wrench into a ten person group or not.

The problem with that is it really depends on what profession a single runner is. The creature gens for a warrior will be easy. Those same gens for a wizard with not great mana might be another story.

-Alyias
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/23/2012 07:16 PM CDT
My experience with the Academy run in plat.

I signed up for the event the morning of my run in plat. There were two others signed up, a young warrior (13) and a wizard (18). I was heavily discouraged by this due to the negativity surrounding a level spread. Regardless, I signed up on my 46 rogues. In hope of some fun and promise of treasure.

46 Rogue, 13 warrior, 18 wizard entered the maze.
We split up because of the creature genning in hopes that my creatures wouldn't get them, and i'd clean mine up quickly.

I find an artifact within the first minute, creatures spawn on me.

You draw back the string on your blue-grey ruic longbow and a straight ruic arrow shimmers into view.
You fire a straight ruic arrow at a moaning scholar!
AS: +314 vs DS: +354 with AvD: +31 + d100 roll: +8 = -1
A clean miss.
The arrow splinters into tiny slivers.

Okay, so, I can't kill something spawned for me. Leave the room.
Catch up with my party, and I tell them what happened. I get my artifact and decide to place it in a disk for if I fall my teammates can pick it up and move on.

As you go to place a venerable crimson eahnor shield in the red Ivstinianvs disk, the discordant hum in the area rises to a screech! A violent arc of blue energy leaps from the Ivstinianvs disk and strikes you!
... 60 points of damage!
Electric shock causes a strong enough convulsion to snap your neck.

Reported, no response.
I was under the impression if you put it in the wrong case in the keep this would happen.

Death, Decay, no cleric or healer. I wait it out and recover.
45 Minutes later and multiple spawn cycles popping on the gate.
Other two teammates die from the same thing.

The guard at the gate doing his ambient actions of hearing a noise in the bush while 12 things are in the room moaning and groaning.

I pop out of the path, and so do my teammates to grab some herbs and come back. The path isn't there, report again.
Short while passes and a GM shows up trying to fix it, a second GM shows up trying to fix it.

I whisper the GM about the artifact in disk problem and got the following response,

player whispers, "Ah. I would suggest keeping the item on you then."

I was ready to just log out and walk away.

15-20 minutes pass and the path re-appears, we venture in.

We seperated and found all the artifacts within 30 minutes. We turned in all but a few. Put one in the wrong case and zap goes another player. Wait for her to recover, spell her up, make our way back through the maze and finished within 2 minutes of the allotted time.

We exit, treasure time!
I couldn't decide, so I took my time browsing the forums for more details.
I decided and went to pick something up and got a message along the lines of.
You can't pick that up, so you don't.

I put myself in an assist queue Friday, I played a handful of hours saturday and sunday. It is now monday at 5:15 PST.

This has been one of the most frustrating experiences i've had AND I had to pay for it.
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/23/2012 08:57 PM CDT
I just got finished with a GM helping me with my prize.
Thank you Valyrka!
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/23/2012 09:18 PM CDT
>>I don't think the armor/runestaves etc are attuned or crumble. I also believe the crumbliness was removed for items so you still have it even if it doesn't enhance any longer
Velvette

>The only prize items that are attuned are the enhancive items. No prize item is crumbly.
Alyias

>Only the enhancive prizes and a few select other prizes are "temporary" in nature, insofar as however long it takes you to run through the charges. There are many prizes that are fluff and decked out armor and weapons that are quite permanent in nature.
Alyias

I didn't mean crumbly, I meant it has a limited number of charges that will not be refilled, thus making it temporary, not "temporary". Once they charges are out, you get a nicely altered bit of character locked fluff. As for the rest of the prizes, they're (currently) not worth the cost of a ticket which makes the enhancives the prizes I'm more focused on.

-farmer
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/23/2012 09:39 PM CDT

I just got finished with a GM helping me with my prize.
Thank you Valyrka!

You are welcome!

Glad we could get you your prize!

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Forest Gnomes
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/23/2012 11:48 PM CDT

I liked the event, an even if your question was to those that didnt sign up, I still have a small bit of input.

The ability to choose prizes was great, personally ID like to have seen someting specificly archery related other then just stat enhansive clothing but I do really like the boots.

I really dont think many people understood how much experience you could learn from this quest even if you killed NOTHING..

Finally the ability to find your way through the maze and get out the other side is dumbfounding sometimes, a group of 5 all working together almost all capped, still could not find the way to the crevasse for almost 45 minutes.. an we had been there once. Perhaps even if the maze shifts, once you find it the first time some additional clue or sense as to how to return to it. Sending someone out to find one last item with 20 minutes left, is pointless if the maze shifts. They might find the last item, but odds are they will never find there way out of the maze again and as the creature pressure builds it just gets progressively harder then it was the first time to find the way out and if you have a full head who wants to risk that knowing you likely are going to die an loose the exp.
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/24/2012 09:56 AM CDT
I much prefer more character defining prizes, too, and if those were offered I would be much more interested.. custom titles, signature stuff, ez scripts, loresongs, etc.

I agree! I would definitely sign up with a few characters if I could get a custom title. Velvette really wants to be First Empath of Ta'Illistim LOL...my wizard did the original hunt for history and the second one and still wears the title of Historian instead of wizard. That was a fun event. Even though it was crazy it was fun.

Velvette...bowcrazy
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/24/2012 03:09 PM CDT
>>Catch up with my party, and I tell them what happened. I get my artifact and decide to place it in a disk for if I fall my teammates can pick it up and move on.

This oversight has been fixed (putting artifacts into disks).

-Alyias
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/27/2012 01:07 AM CDT
We had a great group, and I had a fun time on the quest. The new hint messaging was very helpful. It got a bit messy at the end, but it all worked out. Thanks for listening to our feedback!
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/27/2012 01:25 PM CDT
Has anyone selected the skirt? I'm curious if it's the same skirt as one I already own (just a different look), or if there's something else about it that makes it special and/or unique?

♫ Arpelli ♫
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/27/2012 06:14 PM CDT
This was my second run and I had a lot more fun!

We were still missing an artifact when we got the hint that one of them was still in the maze. By sheer luck one of our people got imploded and ended up back at the start so he was able to find the artifact and meet us back in the tower.

At the end, myself and a few others decided we would hole up at the top of the tower in the sanctuary case room with the last artifact. The rest broke off to try to take down some of the undead, only they couldn't find any swarms like the ones we'd been dodging. They searched the wall and up and down the tower and only found a few stragglers. Then we heard the thrumming and we knew why..

Peering east we saw a horde of about fifty undead trapping us in our corner, thirsting for our blood. We thought we were safe. We were wrong. The group that had broken off tried to make their way in or to lure the undead out in an effort to cull them but they weren't budging. Our cleric tried to move in and cast sanctuary, but oh no.. dispelled. So there we were, trapped in our corner sanctuary with a moaning, groaning flesh eating horde of undead academics closing in. They couldn't get to us because of the sanctuary, and we couldn't get out without massive death, so what do they do? They start casting void.

Soon almost all of our trapped group is a corpse, myself included, and I'm holding the last artifact. Knowing there was no way to stop them and it was only a matter of time before everyone was dead, our cleric quickly raised me and I slammed the last artifact into the case. We won and we got ported out to the prize table, corpses and all.

All in all, so much more fun this time, even if almost all of us died. A couple of notes: Being ported out of the quest while dead leads to not being able to claim a prize once alive. Reidyn was awesome and fixed our broken people though.

If you're disarmed, and your spirit servant picks up your weapon, you still lose it because the spirit servant doesn't follow you out. I also noticed in the previous run that my companion was "reset" after the run. I lost connection with her almost as if she had died (which she hadn't to my knowledge) and when I summoned her again I noticed she was wearing a different set of paw wraps. The ones she had been wearing the last time I sent her away to be exact. So I figured she got trapped in the quest similar to the spirit servants and when I summoned her it reverted to her last "save".

The hint we got about the artifact being in the maze was the difference between winning and failing in my opinion. Up until now I had incorrectly assumed that each quest run had five artifacts in the maze and five in the academy. So a big thank you to whoever gave us that hint.

Thanks for a great time to my group, to Alyias, and to Reidyn. I'm looking forward to another run.
Re: Academy Quest(ions) 07/27/2012 06:30 PM CDT
>By sheer luck one of our people got imploded

Frankly not often a set of phrases you often hear together in the same sentence - sheer luck and got imploded. Sorry, just passing through - LNN

-Anonymous
Prev_page Previous 1