Gemstone Population 06/08/2010 05:16 PM CDT
Since my return, I've noticed that the general population of gemstone seems to be lower than ever. I have all my characters in prime. With the free platinum trials and the shattered server, I'm wondering if it is such a good idea to spread out the player population.

I consdered joining plat and shattered, but it seems they would have a lower population which is definately not what I want. And also I would have to start from scratch. I really only have 2 characters I use, my ranger Ayamei and my rogue Liskey. I work a lot and I have a toddler as well and she takes up the majority of my time. I'm really not interested in starting over because it takes so long to level in gemstone, and I don't have that kind of time anymore. Plus I'm really attached to the identities I created with my 2 girls.

I can't find anyone to hunt with, sit with, or even talk to you very long on a regular basis. Is anyone else having trouble finding enough people? I remeber nights when there would be 1000+ players in prime, now I would just be happy with 400. Anyone have any suggestions for better places to be social, or anyone able to comment on the populations of shattered and plat?

~Lonely in Elanthia
Re: Gemstone Population 06/08/2010 05:38 PM CDT
I highly recommend looking into various CHE's for a sense of community in Prime. In my experiences, you can find whatever level of social experience you might want...from high-quality RP to whisper ooc group omg my day was awful, i need to vent. I rarely hunt anymore for a variety of reasons, so social time is pretty much my bread and butter...and Sylvanfair is certainly full of a great mix of people and personalities that have kept me well-roped into Elanthia. If you want people to hunt with, you'll find some. If you want people to do guild reps with (for Liskey, obviously), we've got enough rogues out the wazoo. If you want people to shoot the whispering winds with, you'll find them.

Obviously I'm biased towards one in particular, and I will try to lure you accordingly. You have been warned, and you know where to find us!

The L behind the Laphrael

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a shoe.
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Laphrael
Re: Gemstone Population 06/08/2010 05:40 PM CDT
>I can't find anyone to hunt with, sit with, or even talk to you very long on a regular basis. Is anyone else having trouble finding enough people? I remeber nights when there would be 1000+ players in prime, now I would just be happy with 400. Anyone have any suggestions for better places to be social, or anyone able to comment on the populations of shattered and plat?

Just by sheer coincidence, I happened to notice you showing up in Solhaven and dropping off a friend who was roleplaying being something of a bumpkin just the other night. There were two players engaged in pretty intense roleplay, but you dropped off your friend and left.

Now, I'm not saying that the population hasn't dropped, but roleplay is still strong in this game. You just have to keep your eyes open for it. Great places to be social include town centers, including Icemule's Town Center, Wehnimer's Landing's Town Square, Solhaven's North Market, etc.

Auchand

It's funnier in Enochian.
Re: Gemstone Population 06/08/2010 05:58 PM CDT
I know you said you weren't interested in Plat, but I can't help myself.

<<Anyone have any suggestions for better places to be social, or anyone able to comment on the populations of shattered and plat?>>

I'd played Plat about 5 years ago and recently came back, only to find myself thoroughly addicted to it. The population has declined somewhat, though not very sharply, since I last played, and many of the people I remember are still there.

I noticed in your post that you're having troubles finding people to talk to. I would suggest that the size of the population might not be as much of a factor if you find people you can interact with. In Prime, I spent a lot of time alone or with the same people. That actually changed with Plat, where the people there led me to get out and make new acquaintances. I'd venture to say that even though I know many people in Prime, I have more actual friends in Plat. I know people in far more depth here and the roleplay is much easier to come by, especially with portals to let me travel to any town and a global amulet to keep in constant contact.

Starting over is difficult, to be sure. Going from 90's in level to upper 20's when I returned in February required that I completely rethink how I played, even though the characters were extremely similar in concept and training. However, I should point out that there are far fewer people in Plat who are higher level. There's a far more even spread in levels and for many people here, level just doesn't seem to matter to RP. In fact, the GMs will create storylines and invasions with aspects that anyone can grab onto, regardless of level. With the trials, you'll have a lot of people of lower level and the players and GMs have made efforts specifically to welcome everyone and get them involved. Even without the trials, however, we do what we can to help you get started.

.... So, I'm babbling. I guess what I can say is that while the low population and starting over may not seem very appealing, they might not be so bad. I like the feeling of knowing everyone, and I look forward to meeting new people when they come around.

Gretchen

Meeting Nilandia: http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Nilandia
Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Gemstone Population 06/08/2010 06:02 PM CDT
Also, check your forwarding email address for your play dot net. I just tried to send you an email and it got sent right back to me. :(

The L behind the Laphrael

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a shoe.
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Laphrael
Re: Gemstone Population 06/09/2010 08:43 AM CDT
Laffie I'm always stalking you, it's a hobby of mine.

The other night in Solhaven, I was not really interested in staying in Solhaven at the moment, I didn't notice that I sorta barged in on 2 folks in deep discussion about something. I was just trying to help out that sorta lost sorta slow guy who was nice and only looking for trouble in the form of 3 omnious letters. See, missing moments is always so easy. I think my problem has been being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I need to get myself more involved in the community I suppose.

Im seriously considering joining plat, I want to stay in prime a little bit longer because I'm having too much fun with my regular two and I have plans, BIG plans with'em. Are there enough empaths in plat, or a serious lack of clerics? I think I would start a whole new class if I did join the plat server.

Oh, and my email, yeah I gotta get my coke bottle bottoms attached to wire arms hovering over my face up to date. Stupid typo, it's fixed now. If you see my girls moping around sad and lonely, bother them! They love it!

~Ayamei
Re: Gemstone Population 06/09/2010 09:34 AM CDT
<<Im seriously considering joining plat, I want to stay in prime a little bit longer because I'm having too much fun with my regular two and I have plans, BIG plans with'em. Are there enough empaths in plat, or a serious lack of clerics? I think I would start a whole new class if I did join the plat server.>>

There's an excellent starting guide and FAQ on GSGuide.net which I'll defer to in this:

"Pretty much anything is in high demand. We don't have locksmiths working in the east tower here, nor do we have empaths/clerics in any town center working around the clock! Spell ups and buffs aren't being solicited constantly, and imbedding services aren't something you'll find everyone doing. Outside the landing, most everything is nonexistent! Pick an area you enjoy doing and you will find your services will always in need. I would say the top three (3) professions that are always in need are: Healing Empaths, Raising Clerics and Loresinging Bards. Though do what suits you as a player, don't feel forced by reading this that to be accepted in Platinum you need to be a bard."

The Plat starting guide can be found at http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Platinum_Beginner%27s_Guide

The FAQ is at http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Platinum_FAQ

Gretchen

Meeting Nilandia: http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Nilandia
Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Gemstone Population 06/09/2010 12:27 PM CDT
<<Im seriously considering joining plat, I want to stay in prime a little bit longer because I'm having too much fun with my regular two and I have plans, BIG plans with'em. Are there enough empaths in plat, or a serious lack of clerics?

Sounds like you need to visit the Rest. ;) Come on down and stay through the weekend. It's like the Plat of Prime! :D

GM Scribes
Re: Gemstone Population 06/09/2010 02:00 PM CDT
>>I highly recommend looking into various CHE's for a sense of community in Prime. In my experiences, you can find whatever level of social experience you might want...from high-quality RP to whisper ooc group omg my day was awful, i need to vent.

Also look into the MHO's (previously Player-Run Organizations). When I was an officer in Paupers, I kept a public calendar of whatever CHE/MHO events I could get info on (usually from IG NEWS and postings here on the boards) that were open to the public, and it seems Thursdays were about the only day of the week that seldom had less than 2 or 3 events running SOMEWHERE. When I first started playing Traiva, who I wanted to be a very social character, I tried to attend as many of these types of events as I could with her, so she could meet people...and even though she only joined an MHO that sadly died out, there were still connections made.

And even though you didn't want to stay in Solhaven that night, it is worth heading down that way, as it's currently the base of operations for a storyline. Granted, what's shaking down may not be your cup of tea, but at least you can get to talking with people while you figure that out, right?

~the Muse behind Traiva...and others
Re: Gemstone Population 06/09/2010 02:05 PM CDT
As the Platinum Guru, I'll go ahead and pop in to say that you should definitely try out Platinum during the trials! I realize that low population is an issue for many, and I hear that reasoning time and time again. But as Gretchen indicated, the truth is that it isn't as much of an issue as it is perceived to be. If you think about it for a moment, how many people do you honestly socialize with and roleplay with in Prime at one time? The great thing about Platinum is that even though we have an active population of 30-50 during peak hours, and at most merchants or storyline events we average around 25 or so, you will always find roleplay. You can walk into the park and find one person there, but they will roleplay with you. You can get on the amunet and maybe only 10 other people are around at the time, but they will all talk to you!

Its refreshing to find that you are now part of a community where everyone knows your character's name, and they are all willing to interact and be a part of your character's life in some fashion. One of the other great things about Platinum, and its due to its low population and strong sense of community, is that storylines are wonderfully easy to find and get into. And even if your bag isn't a major storyline, and you prefer to just have every day experiences in roleplay, that is plentiful too. Your actions for your character can truly shape the world around you and that is the heart and soul of Platinum in my opinion.

Hope to see you!

~Naionna, Platinum player and Platinum guru

Not really an embassy, per se, but more like a "oh fine, let them sort it out, let's go have a doughnut" sort of deal. - Xynwen, on CHE annexes
Re: Gemstone Population 06/10/2010 09:14 AM CDT
One other great thing about Plat:

Merchants rarely spin or take just a couple people -- usually the whole room is looked after, and if not, the merchant often returns at a later date. It's also not uncommon for someone to pay for the entire run of services.

It's gotten to the point where my main has very little left to alter/lighten/deepen other than new items I might acquire. I've been actually trimming down the long/short descriptions of my gear to make him look less of a wall of text...

Feature alterations are fairly common, too. Several of my characters have completely customized looks.

If customizing gear and appearances is something you'd love to do, then by all means, come on over to Plat.
Re: Gemstone Population 06/10/2010 03:40 PM CDT
<wondering if this is the pro-plat folder>

As I've said elsewhere, the number of people really doesn't matter. Yes, at one point there was over 2k people in the game, but personally, I probably wouldn't have been interested in talking to most of them. I'd rather be around interesting characters that do more than swap backstories as their IC interaction (if they do that much at all).

The roleplay is definitely out there in PRIME, and yes you do have to dig a little more and perhaps even weed out some less than fun RP, but it's there.

~ The girl behind Debia

Contribute to the economy of Debia! You too can make a difference!
http://pshops.lichproject.org/shops/3792
Re: Gemstone Population 06/10/2010 04:02 PM CDT
I was pleased, but not entirely surprised, to be surrounded by fine roleplaying the moment I stepped into Solhaven, and it's been going pretty steadily so far. It's been great to meet the new people since I left.

Farn & Co.
AIM: LastMinutePrayer
E-mail: Play.net address
Re: Gemstone Population 06/10/2010 04:55 PM CDT
>>I was pleased, but not entirely surprised, to be surrounded by fine roleplaying the moment I stepped into Solhaven, and it's been going pretty steadily so far. It's been great to meet the new people since I left.

It helps that you create a lot of it yourself!

~Galenok
Re: Gemstone Population 06/11/2010 10:42 PM CDT
> <wondering if this is the pro-plat folder>

I'd say its more pro-gemstone. We all have something to contribute regarding what we love about the game, whether that's in Shattered, Platinum, Premium benefits or Prime in general. Nothing wrong with sharing it all!

~Naionna

Not really an embassy, per se, but more like a "oh fine, let them sort it out, let's go have a doughnut" sort of deal. - Xynwen, on CHE annexes
Re: Gemstone Population 06/13/2010 06:55 PM CDT
I still haven't joined plat, I think I may. However, this past week has been great, maybe it took me some time to get ito the swing of things, but I've been having tons of fun in prime. Now I'm involved in a few things that is gonna take up my time.

~Ayamei
Re: Gemstone Population 06/17/2010 10:48 PM CDT
Part of the problem/answer was the build up to shattered. We were doing over 400 on days then, but with shattereds opening, its pretty much took out about a third + prime seems like. Maybe once the novelty of shattered wears off that will bump back up again, but who knows now. On a side note welcome to the tree though, very glad to have you there.

Corlith and others.

“"Mayhem achieved, boredom relieved”"
Re: Gemstone Population 07/12/2010 05:50 PM CDT
<<I still haven't joined plat, I think I may. However, this past week has been great, maybe it took me some time to get ito the swing of things, but I've been having tons of fun in prime. Now I'm involved in a few things that is gonna take up my time.

Cooooome to Platinum! That is all.

I'm just perusing through.

~Raliel~
~Platinum Forum Moderator~
Re: Gemstone Population 06/28/2014 10:43 AM CDT

I feel your pain, as I started GS back in the Ice Age, until that player was suspiciously DD'd and then returned on the cusp with a new player that is still in game that has received so many re-rolls, and penalties for decaying back in the days when Tsorran was just beginning to map the lands. Anyway, I digress, as there are so many stories and issues and such that I could spend eons going on about. I remember when there were a few thousand players, and I mean quite literally players, not their alts/snerts, as we called them back in the day. now it seems with my two premium accounts active, and a third inactive... I would account for over one tenth of the population....lol Uhm, what was my point? Hmmmmmm, not really sure I was making one as much as commiserating, I guess...