A Likely Story... 07/29/2018 08:49 PM CDT

Wyil Rvaln of Solhaven is excited to announce a fantastic discovery! While digging around an old warehouse by the docks, he discovered a large cache of old books. He was quoted as saying, “It was delightful and satisfying to see all of the old titles and glance through some of the tales and stories.” He reported that he has begun to restore them to their former condition. In the interest of education and entertainment, he plans on releasing them for public purchase as they are ready. “It may mean only a few a month, but I am committed to making sure they are accessible to all,” he said. “I used the last silvers I had to commission a special wagon to house them. I plan on traveling the world to share them with everyone. I have been promised that the wagon will be completed by mid Phoenatos.” Look for announcements in the upcoming weeks!

In addition to the books he found, Wyil is hoping to find some new, talented authors.

If you think you have what it takes to be published, please follow the directions below!

Rules for submission

1. One submission per account (F2P may not participate).

2. All submissions may have up to 15 pages. Each page can have around 800 characters. Spaces ARE included in the character count. Double spaces are required between sentences. Also, if you are using formatting where you want a blank line between sections, that will take some space. The above are general rules for submission. Some pages may be able to go over 800 and some under due to your formatting. Some books may end up with more than 15 pages depending on how it formats as well.

3. All manuscripts must be fully IC and appropriate to the family environment of GemStone IV.

4. No game secrets may be revealed.

5. No manuscript may discuss other player characters by name in a negative or derogatory fashion. (these books will not be used to harass anyone.)

6. All manuscripts must be officially "authored" by one of the characters on your account, and the book will list its author upon publication. Also, the manuscript must be your original, personal work. No taking OOC songs/stories and adapting them for GS. If you violate this rule, your book will be pulled from sales and any associated accounts will not be allowed to submit another one.

7. Copies of all volumes will be available for purchase by anyone interested. You cannot prevent anyone from purchasing your book.

8. Collaborations are acceptable, so long as at least one of the authors has not submitted a separate solo manuscript. Make sure that the subject heading on the email has the account name of the author who has NOT submitted anything yet if one of you will be publishing a solo piece as well as a manuscript.

9. You may design the appearance of the outside of your book as well as what the page might look like, but they can be changed at the discretion of the merchant.

10. Master Wyil has the last say on every aspect of the book and will make all QC changes required.

11. All book submissions for the first publication group must be received by 9/1/2018. (this will be a first collection, if is it reasonable and goes well, I will announce more later when these have been created)

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Re: A Likely Story... 07/29/2018 10:05 PM CDT
This is awesome. I do not envy you the raft of edits you have ahead of you, and I hope you have some QC people well-bribed to help.

I am also cringing for those of us who may have been fortunate to be a part of the original Gloumerrick book wave back in the early aughts and who might see the garbage we submitted in our youthful, brainless excitement back in print without revisions. (I may just be cringing for me.)

---
Walsor Gryhm says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 16 silver coins for it."
You think to yourself, "This deal is getting worse all the time."
Re: A Likely Story... 07/30/2018 08:22 AM CDT

>I am also cringing for those of us who may have been fortunate to be a part of the original Gloumerrick book wave back in the early aughts and who might see the garbage we submitted in our youthful, brainless excitement back in print without revisions. (I may just be cringing for me.)

Fear not, you are not alone.

:D

Askip
Re: A Likely Story... 07/30/2018 08:50 AM CDT

Just as a clarification. I am going to make all the new books that qualify. They will not be mass released all at once, but a few a month like the old books will be. There is no way I am going to slam QC with EG around the corner. Think of it as a book of the month club! You will never know what is coming next, and everyone can be surprised!

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Re: A Likely Story... 07/30/2018 08:51 AM CDT
Valyrka,

I just wanted to thank you for taking this on, I'm sure it's going to be a lot of work on your behalf, and it's greatly appreciated! I am one of the authors of the old Gloumerrick books, and it is among my favorite experiences in the decades I have been playing. It is one of the offerings that sets Gemstone apart from anything else like it. Having an in-character representation of lore, poetry, stories, politics, theology- it makes for a creative, immersive environment.

That being said, I have the start of the fall semester going on here at work so I may be too busy to get a draft in this time! I sure hope it's popular and you plan more!

Many kudos :)

-GK!

Ysharra says, "One day, I'm going to have "What?" inscribed on your tombstone, with lots of helpful punctuation."
Re: A Likely Story... 07/30/2018 11:13 AM CDT
Been kicking myself for years that I didn't collect more of these when they first came out. Greatly looking forward to the re-release.

Avaia, player of
Re: A Likely Story... 07/31/2018 08:12 AM CDT
This has been a pretty big project that Valyrka has spearheaded for quite awhile now. It's pretty exciting.

Wyrom, PM
Re: A Likely Story... 08/24/2018 10:54 AM CDT
My manuscript is nearly completion, however I am at a complete loss as to where to send it. Both announcement posts don't seem to have an email. Help? Thanks!

"There is no sin in my body. I have not spoken that which is not true knowingly, nor have I done anything with a false heart."
Re: A Likely Story... 08/24/2018 10:55 AM CDT

Emails are the forum name at play.net. ie, SAMCLERIC@play.net
Re: A Likely Story... 08/24/2018 04:28 PM CDT

GS4-Valyrka@play.net

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Re: A Likely Story... 08/28/2018 03:57 PM CDT
Valyrka, do you want submissions in attachments or in the body of the email? Or doesn't it matter?
Re: A Likely Story... 08/28/2018 04:32 PM CDT
It does not matter, send it however!

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Re: A Likely Story... 08/31/2018 07:52 AM CDT
>>It does not matter, send it however!

Morse code it is. Thanks Valyrka!
Re: A Likely Story... 09/01/2018 12:08 AM CDT
Actually, I could read that..... Its been a while, but my hubby is a ham radio operator and we studied it together.

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Re: A Likely Story... 09/01/2018 03:57 AM CDT
Shoulda said you'd send it in binary....

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.