Shifting Perceived Values 03/10/2015 01:15 AM CDT
I responded to a thread talking about the F2P model we're about to start, and as I stepped away from the keyboard and considered what I wrote, I thought that I could come here and post a little more of what I meant, perhaps to spark some ideas amongst you folks smarter than me.

The recent thread on upward mobility sparks this concept, I should note, in fairness to the great ideas explored there.

Here's our scenario, GemStone folks.

With F2P, we are going to get an influx of new players. Some will be old players returning. Others will be brand new, deciding to give it a try, for whatever reason.

This is a niche game. It's a boutique game. There's a small enough group of players at this point, that we have this unique and remarkable ability to establish very clearly what is important, and the GM's have the ability to support the culture, if the movement is strong enough.

Now, ever since I started playing, there have always been two camps in GS, the RP'ers and the Levelers. I do not believe that these are mutually exclusive, for starters, nor do I believe that these focuses will ever go away. People game for different reasons, and I am not one to judge anyone's profoundly unique and individual psychology in such a thing.

Let's pretend for a minute that we all agree that Elanthia is a much better place to play if there aren't zombie MA scripting robots all over the place. Not because they're bad or evil. Why are they here? The secondary market of silvers and high level utility characters. Why are those things needed? Because the GM's create super duper awesome items and kill us with high level super duper evil creatures and we either need silvers or tough characters to have a chance at either. Let's ... get away, for a minute, from what is "right" or "wrong", if you don't mind. I applaud the resourcefulness and the ambition of those who can make a few bucks. I love capitalism.

However, for the purposes of this thread... what if those things were not THE MOST COVETED THINGS in Elanthia?

Can we have a meaningful conversation on what could or should be achieved by a character in Elanthia, that will be valuable, that cannot be achieved through scripting?

Do we value RP? Do we have a culture that values roleplay in this game? I think some of us do, yes. I think the epic storylines support that, yes.

Before I continue, let me tell you a quick story. As a reward for my participation in a big storyline years ago, I received a ShadowDeath dagger. Personalized, in a gorgeous case. I didn't spend a nickel for it. I was thrilled. It was my pride and joy. And then, mostly because I'm an idiot, but also because Turinrond was a hurler and those daggers can't be hurled without tremendous risk of loss, I ended up selling it for silvers so that I could get some enhancive armor (which ironically devalued 80% while I was away because of the introduction of fusion armors). So, now you know, that I'm a bloody stinkin' moron.

But this is my point. My actions reflected what seemed a completely reasonable move at the time. The economic value of the fancy gear was more valuable than the RP reward. And, you know what? If I script and power hunt and buy/sell/buy/sell, I can probably get that dagger back or something similar.

Truly, as it stands, anything of value in the game, the way that things are currently valued, can be gotten with enough silver, or by buying silver from someone. Etc.

What if this wasn't the case?

What if, for instance, Voln Armor, was no longer sold at merchant events? It was only given to Voln Masters who did some great feat on behalf of the Voln Monastery? And, yes, they could sell it, but that would require getting approval from the Voln Guru, and within that, it could only be sold to another worthy Voln Master.

You could never script that. You could certainly script through mastering Voln and killing undead. But gaining the attention and being "worthy" of T5 Voln Armor? Couldn't buy that. Couldn't sell that. Couldn't script that. You would have to play the game differently.

That thread on upward mobility? So many people want to RP a Palestra, something that's been suggested .. ain't gonna happen, officially. But, there could certainly be some "almost a Palestra" THINGY that could be given to those well played Faendryl, something that COULD NOT be bought or sold.

Speaking of Faendryl, what if .. being taught the rune to summon that one demon that always kills us all.. was a thing? (For some reason, I can't think of the stupid demon names right now).

Someone says, "Selling capped Faendryl sorceror", and the response is "Can they summon an Oculoth?" "Uh, no?" "Hahaha, loser sorc ain't worth nothing."

What if "level" and "utility" weren't the things that made a character awesome in Elanthia? What if the best things able to be owned in Elanthia were ONLY able to be obtained through good roleplay and being involved? And I don't mean hamming it up every time an NPC is around. I mean, the day to day interactions with friends, the staying alert at the keyboard, the staying in character, even when it's not the end of the world as we know it.

Well, high levels are always going to be important, huh? Then why are we limiting our RPA's? Someone new who does a spectacular RP job in whatever scenario, gets a special visit from an ambassador of their home town and they're granted 100k experience. Why not? There's a level cap, after all. If someone can cap in a year through scripting, then someone should be able to cap in a year through spectacular RP too.

We have the opportunity, right here and now, to shift the perceived values of the incoming population boost. They're going to get here, and what? OH YOU ARE TOO LOW LEVEL AND THAT IS BAD. OH YOU DON'T HAVE ANY SILVERS AND THAT IS BAD.

Are those things really THAT important? Are they your most memorable moments in GS? Do you remember that one time this or that happened, or do you fondly recall putting your first 10 mil in the bank? Yes, the player economic system isn't going away, and it's robust, and it's awesome. I love it (I have two playershops).

I think that anything that costs coins and requires "high level utility characters" to make valuable - COULD - also become a reward for participating in the Lands the way that the culture values it.

"Nice job defending the town tonight, Sir GoodieTwoShoes - the town mage is going to enchant your armor up +5 for a reduced fee." "Oh, I'm just a pauper, I can't afford that." "Well, we will put it on account for you, and you can pay back whenever - (however the armor is now attuned to you)."

A trinkety doodad that allows a non cleric to call their Arkati once or twice a year.

Titles and "upward mobility" is excellent and I very much want that. But, we can do more. IF AND ONLY IF.. the culture of the game supports that. If the playerbase, as a vast majority, says, "You know what, the best things in this game should be available to those who..." whatever.

Am I a lunatic loose from the asylum on this one? Or can you think of things that would make your character more valuable in Elanthia that could not be achieved through scripting or buying something from someone who did script? The reason people MA script for profit and gain is because it is entirely reasonable and profitable to do so. Are there enough folks who would be interested in discussing ways to shift that perception of value? Might be worth a shot to talk about it, before all these new folks enter the lands and they are influenced by the prevailing cultural values in Elanthia.

~ Bill, Coyote.

The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination.
~ Voltaire
Re: Shifting Perceived Values 03/10/2015 09:00 AM CDT

Count me in. To me the most valuable characters in Elanthia are the ones that make it more enjoyable for others to play. I truly value the interactions my character has with others, be they friendly or not so much. I hope others find interacting with my character enjoyable as well.
Re: Shifting Perceived Values 03/10/2015 09:18 AM CDT
>>There's a small enough group of players at this point, that we have this unique and remarkable ability to establish very clearly what is important, and the GM's have the ability to support the culture, if the movement is strong enough.

An exceptional post, Bill.

>>Am I a lunatic loose from the asylum on this one?

Not even remotely.

I am very willing to assist in this endeavor, but wonder if time remains to shift the culture dramatically before the announcement.

Doug
Re: Shifting Perceived Values 03/10/2015 11:37 AM CDT
Okay, before I fell asleep last night, this idea popped into my head.

Here's the problem with RPA's: They require roleplay to stop, and to be maximized, one must grind and focus on hunt/kill/rest/absorb. THE TOWN IS IN DANGER, OR A SMALL CHILD NEEDS ASSISTANCE. OH WAIT, I JUST GOT AN RPA, SCREW THAT, I GOTTA RUN TO THE RIFT, BECAUSE I NEED THIS NEXT RANK OF ARMOR TRAINING.

You can't get around that. And, we all know that there are people who don't participate in the quests or storylines up and until an NPC is around and then suddenly THEY ARE THE STAR OF THE SHOW, SENOR HAMMY MCHAMPANTS, and no one can get a word in edgewise, because they WANT THAT RPA FOR BEING OH SO CLEVER AND WITTY AND USING LOTS OF ACTS. And those same people, will cleverly WHISPER IN A ROOM WHERE THE NPC'S CAN HEAR EVERYTHING about how they didn't get an RPA, and what a bunch of crap, huh?! Why? Because, man, they want to go out and grind out some XP, and RPA'S are totally awesome.

* ahem *

Let me present to you a better way, since you appear to have the technology and coding skills to support this sorta thing...

RPSCRIP.

Defend your town during an invasion? Convincingly? RPA is nice, but pfft... RPSCRIP can be awarded to more people, because its value is subjective. No NPC's around, just having a healthy discussion in TSC, the Hanging Gardens, or Hearthstone Porch? Helping out a newb around IMT?

You have been awarded 100 RPSCRIP for being true to your character in Elanthia. Have a nice day!

Now you don't have to stop RP'ing. You don't have to do anything that you're not already doing.

And what do you DO with these RPSCRIP? Whatever you want. You can open up a portal to a shop that sells THE BEST THINGS IN ELANTHIA for 100/1000's of RPSCRIPS, you can set up a "Sadie Scroll System" for enchanting, ensorcelling, post titles, special messaging (ala the Spire, but NOT paid for with money, rather EARNED through RP excellence).

I do think, amongst the wares offered, should be giant XP boosts, because the problem with RPA's is that you have to stop RP'ing to use them. Heck, even a big fat silver award for a particularly good RP deed. You saved the town, captured a criminal - why isn't that worth 500k silvers? That's going to break the economic system? I don't think so, no.

Could this ever work? Not if I'm the only one giving voice to the concept.

The concept relies on the player culture being ready to accept that THE BEST THINGS IN ELANTHIA cannot be earned through leveling and silvers and hunting and grinding. The best things in Elanthia are earned through engaging, interacting with the other players and the NPC's and getting involved and proactive during the storylines they work so hard to put together.

This is not the way things are now.

The reality is that, no matter what, people are going to grind, because that's why they play. And that's great! I like to grind and hunt, too, sometimes. Killing things IS FUN.

But the culture of the player population, right now, wants the biggest and best things to increase level/XP/mechanical advantage, and there's only ONE WAY (right now) to get the best things in Elanthia - and that means, there will ALWAYS be a market for silvers at $X per mil, and high level no-name characters that offer some utility towards earning silver and leveling up.

What if there was another way?

Just go out and RP, buddy. Just be yourself. What would your character do? Hang out and do nothing all day, flirt with empaths in TSC? GOOD FOR YOU, BUDDY, HERE'S AN AWARD FOR BEING A LECHEROUS SLOTH! When the culture values roleplay over mechanics and economics, it is a culture that will perpetuate itself.

Then, there's an Elanthia where:

You can grind out and hunt/rest/hunt and earn silver and buy things from other players and advance your character at a steady pace.

- or -

You can play your character and remain committed to engaging the environment and other players, and you can advance this way as well, and get some nice gear which will help you advance your skills.

Right now, the latter is not really true.

With RPSCRIP, it could be.

Just an idea.

~ Bill, Coyote.

The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination.
~ Voltaire
Re: Shifting Perceived Values 03/10/2015 04:15 PM CDT
very interesting and insightful stuff.

the thing you are talking about (to dumb it down considerably) is value. I have noticed that what is valued changes not only over the years, but by town and people. For example, everyone has seen the thoughts asking to pay thousands of silvers for a spell-up, usually this is in the Landing. Where as in Ta'Vaalor, there are always people around that spell others up just because they feel it is the right thing to do, and they don't ask for anything in return! There is a different value culture in place there between the two cities and the people that inhabit those cities. Please note, I'm not saying the only way to get a spell-up in the Landing is to pay for it, as I'm sure there are people there who do it just because. All I'm saying is you don't see those messages for places in the Elven Nations.

I personally value the small things that are offered. I have no ambition to become some great and all powerful cleric, if it happens, cool, but that's not what I'm here for. Not even really here for the RP though I do love me some great RP. The things I value are the memories. For example, a few weeks ago I got an RPA, didn't realize I got it until I just happened to check in on my experience. I got it simply for chatting and having a good time with a merchant. I didn't go see the merchant to have anything done, and that was evident when she told me it was my turn and I had nothing for her. She did eventually give me a feature alteration, which was nice. But what was better was the laughter and the smiles that we shared. Those are the things I value. I couldn't figure out how to feed my fish a couple days ago, so I went to Silverwood and asked a mentor. She didn't really know, but we conversed and laughed it up for a while, to the point that I forgot why I even went there, it was great!

When I first landed in Vaalor I was overwhelmed by how helpful people were to me, even had Tobot give me 50k to get out of the starter clothes and into something nicer. I have since payed it forward with other new characters that I've seen because it made me feel good when done to me and I want to pass that feeling off to others. As a result my bank account hasn't topped 60k, but I'm ok with that because I'm doing what I enjoy. Spending a quiet afternoon, and I literally mean the whole afternoon, sitting on the docks and fishing with Isco was great. No hunting, no casting, doing nothing that would earn us silvers, but the conversation and the occasional yell of "fish on!" was fun.

All of that is well and good, however there are those, like you've mentioned who want to grind, who want to be the richest, and who want to have all the latest and greatest stuff. Nothing wrong with that either. The point is, you are stating now is a time to change values because of the new people we will be seeing. Why? Why change anything? People are who they are and they are going to do what makes them feel good, be it killing, crafting, hoarding, spending, rping, or just acting silly in the commons, it's what makes our world so enjoyable. All the different types of people, all the personalities that we see make this game what it is.

~Rayna, cleric of Oleani and Ta'Vaalor
Re: Shifting Perceived Values 03/10/2015 04:19 PM CDT
I got off track lol. I agree with you to a degree, I guess I just differ in that I don't really want anything for playing my character the way I think she should be played. If I got some great runestaff or a set of brig, a custom spell prep, RPA, you name it, because of that, great, but in the end, nothing would change for me.

~Rayna, cleric of Oleani and Ta'Vaalor
Re: Shifting Perceived Values 03/10/2015 04:22 PM CDT
>>All the different types of people, all the personalities that we see make this game what it is.

A good post, ANEWMAN2. Perhaps I should re-interpret my position as less in 'changing people' than 'changing perceived values' in a way that would emphasize group / roleplay a bit more.

I'm not saying that I want done away with anything that has to do with the 'big kahuna race', which includes a number of players of notoriety across the lands, even in Elfville . But I think there's still room for emphasizing via better recognition paths a bit more the 'softer side'.

Doug
Re: Shifting Perceived Values 03/10/2015 04:44 PM CDT
My mind has been rolling this sort of thing around since the announcement came out about F2P. I don't know how much bigger the player base in GS will become, but I have lofty hopes that it will at least double (Yes, I try to look at the glass as half full whenever possible) but even if it doesn't grow that much I think we have a fantastic development here that we need to take advantage of. I've always felt it was up to the players to dictate in which direction the game goes anyway.

As Bill stated, we have an opportunity here to determine what these new and returning F2P players see, what they experience, and how they will act within the world that is GS. Gemstone has been a role playing game to me, before anything else. I try very hard to keep each of my characters unique, even though I personally feel I'm lacking in the RP department. But when any of my people are around others characters I try very hard to step it up. If each of us decides that we will do that whenever we can then it's my opinion that F2P people will climb aboard our little GS juggernaut with little effort on our part.

This boils down to giving the F2P's the chance to belong to something larger than their own characters. I speak of inclusion, massive inclusion, on a scale that has never before been tried. We obviously already have GM's on board who believe in this, as exhibited in the many and varied story-lines of the last few years, so my thoughts and ideas go out to the players. We, the players, the true reason GS exists, as a whole, must make the effort to bring these new people into the fold.

I'm not saying make every one of the F2P's your friend, but what I am saying is to give them opportunities to become part of our family. Speaking from past experience from many years ago, there is very little in GS more difficult to endure than to be on the outside, looking in, and feeling like you aren't welcome. Those days, fortunately, are now behind us.

We, you and I, must step up to the plate and take that "Mighty Casey Swing", because it's our responsibility to see this thing through, and to make it work as WE, the players, want it to work. I know we can do this, we just have to want to, and then we have to do it.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Empires exist through conquest, they live on by exercising total control of the conquered.

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: Shifting Perceived Values 03/10/2015 06:44 PM CDT

>>They (RPAs) require roleplay to stop ...

since when?

I've had RPA's last several months before. Nowadays, Clunk usually only 'hunts' when there is an undead storyline playing out. If he earns an RPA during those storylines, they usually last until he starts hunting again, usually many many months later.

You have to be in a big hurry to have them 'run out' quickly.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Shifting Perceived Values 03/10/2015 11:09 PM CDT

The RPA bonus is for 'when' you gain exp, not an immediate must gain exp now feature. Heck, I couldn't even tell you the last time I ran of a 3x gift before it was awarded again, let alone an RPA bonus.

In other words, unlike the past, the RPA bonus only counts down the timer when you have exp to gain, not when you are standing around RP'ing, just like the Lumnis gift. When your bucket is empty, it stops counting down.

- Guards haul off the stupid corpse. -
Re: Shifting Perceived Values 03/11/2015 08:35 AM CDT
Unfortunately, every single RPA (say rather, "experience multiplier") comes with a built-in chunk of unabsorbed experience... so it's guaranteed to start its own clock.
Re: Shifting Perceived Values 03/11/2015 12:35 PM CDT
>I've had RPA's last several months before. . . You have to be in a big hurry to have them 'run out' quickly.

While I make it a point not to drop everything and start hunting like a madwoman as soon as I get an RPA, I do like to use them efficiently, and that isn't always possible. The RPA itself starts the clock ticking, but the experience my character's gaining per pulse while clear or fresh and clear is minimal compared to what she gets when she's saturated. I don't know the exact figures on this, but it's obvious even if you aren't min/maxing that you're better off staying more or less saturated throughout your RPA or Lumnis hours than you would be from getting a good fry in, going to a node and resting until you hear bells.

Add in the fact that a lot of small things start the timer going again, including guild tasks and killing a few big baddies during invasions, and someone who spends a fair amount of time doing something other than hunting is paradoxically getting less from a roleplaying award than one who adheres to a drop-everything-and-hunt play style. I've seen in my own gameplay how I've chosen to prioritize hunting over other things while I have an RPA going -- not to the point that I ignore anything but demolishing everything in the Rift, but I will use the NPC locksmith or eat herbs instead of working with other players for these services because I know I'd want to hang around and chat with them -- and that would eat up my RPA clock. As my main character is close to capping, I pay a lot more attention to those experience points than I otherwise might.

I don't like that I count points and weigh them against time spent talking with others, but I do. I don't know that I'd classify myself as "in a big hurry," either; given that others whose levels were lower than mine when I started are now a level or two above me, I certainly don't feel in a big rush. Even so, I feel the pressure to hunt for those Lumnis hours and RPA bonuses.

I doubt RPAs are going to change significantly, and I don't mean to complain about something I consider a welcome gift rather than an entitlement. They're great when they happen, and worrying about whether I should hang around to the fresh-and-clear point or go back out to the Rift is a good problem to have. I do think it would be wonderful, though, if there were some additional means of rewarding players who remain consistent within their characters, actively participate in events, show newer players the ropes or otherwise contribute to a better roleplay atmosphere.

--- Lauren, Lylia's player
Re: Shifting Perceived Values 03/12/2015 12:24 AM CDT
The last RPA I had kicked in during Walkar's funeral, and finally ran out some time last night. I remember wincing when it happened, because the experience chunk set off my Gift of Lumnis, and I wasn't going anywhere for the next few hours. I wasn't sure if it would decay on its own, but it turned out the multiplier only dropped when I was burning experience.

I left the Krolvin invasion a little earlier than I would have last night, because one of the things was in the lower range of what I could learn off, and it was wasteful being "fresh" with those both running. When the RPA was still recent it would have been no question, because you really feel the difference when they're stacked. It hurts you more than it helps being off node halfway between mana pulses, but that still means not going below "muddled", which is disincentive enough to not smell the roses with other people.

I would prefer it if roleplaying bonuses were somehow not tied to hunting. Slaughtering the innocent would only be a hobby if that was effective enough for powering up. (Unless we had something like a "misadventure guild", where you help the bad guys of the world instead of saving children, in which case I would slaughter only the innocent.) I imagine there are a lot of very powerful sorcerers and mages in the world with very little experience killing things. Less so sorcery. Can't practice limb disruption on statues.

- Xorus' player

>look parchment
Written across the parchment is the phrase:

You will one day sit, and die, upon a throne....of chocolate.
Re: Shifting Perceived Values 03/12/2015 01:24 PM CDT
* This isn't intended or directed towards any specific individual(s). *

I'm always surprised at the number of min/maxers we seem to have in the game. Since the only two multi-player games I generally play on-line are Gemstone and Wow (both of which seem to have their share of min-maxers) I don't know if this is a community thing or just the general trend/nature of people in the multi-player game market in general.

While I get what people are saying when they complain about their gift being 'wasted' or how they are 'forced' to hunt less than optimally because they got an RPA, their gift kicked in, etc. It's still over and above what you (general you) would be getting if we didn't have the Lumnis gift/RPA bonuses at all. And while I get that not always being able to optimize these bonuses causes great consternation for some individuals I would really hate to see the direction of these types of bonuses in general cater to the min/maxers which, in my mind, would only further encourage the min/max mindset.

The gift of lumnis was originally setup, at least in part, to help people that hunt less frequently keep up with those that hunt more frequently. To the extent that people are unable to min/max this benefit every week I think speaks to its effectiveness at helping the average player who hunts less frequently catch up or at least fall behind more slowly vs. the min/maxer.

If it really bothers some individuals to receive an inefficient bonus, how about setting up a flag which simply prevents an individual from receiving an rpa bonus or gift at all (turning the gift flag back on would result in your gift kicking in one week from that point)? My guess is that the flag won't be used by anyone but maybe people will start appreciating these bonuses a little more for what they are, bonuses, vs. some sort of entitlement that needs to be maximized at all costs.

Keeping with the general thread theme, I do mostly like the idea of providing non-experience based RPA boosts as well. The 'advantage' to the RPA award being experience based is that it sort of rewards players for taking a break from hunting to do something else (and doing it well enough that it earns some level of recognition) while reducing the 'penalty' for not hunting. But, assuming that isn't a concern or goal, what other rewards would make sense for RPA awards? Silver? ADV Guild points? RPABucks (tm)? What sort of ideas do people have for alternatives?

-- Robert

"Wyrom isn't interacting with me, I think he is AFK scripting."
Re: Shifting Perceived Values 03/12/2015 04:21 PM CDT
I have read that the RPA is based on total amount of experience gained rather than a time limit. If this is true, it would be a different mechanism than Lumnis and impossible to waste. It would be helpful if a GM could clarify how RPAs work.

The spirit of the first post is laudable. I think the creation of a believable character with a presence in the community is the most valuable thing in Gemstone. This isn't a moral stance; it's a statement about how I have fun playing the game. I support anything that lets players tell more interesting stories (cf. the upward mobility thread). I don't support a new series of material rewards for RP comparable to the Premium Points system. It's obvious that I like buying high-end items and gaining levels/TPs too. -- brevitas

Silvean's Player
Re: Shifting Perceived Values 03/12/2015 04:36 PM CDT
>If it really bothers some individuals to receive an inefficient bonus, how about setting up a flag which simply prevents an individual from receiving an rpa bonus or gift at all (turning the gift flag back on would result in your gift kicking in one week from that point)? My guess is that the flag won't be used by anyone but maybe people will start appreciating these bonuses a little more for what they are, bonuses, vs. some sort of entitlement that needs to be maximized at all costs.

I'm not really sure how "something I consider a welcome gift rather than an entitlement" translates to "some sort of entitlement that needs to be maximized at all costs." My statement was pretty much the opposite of entitlement, and going back to others' posts, I didn't find anyone else who said or even implied that. You were careful to explain that your post wasn't directed at any individuals, but given that no one posting here seems to consider RPAs an entitlement, I don't know where this view came from. Maybe there are some people in game who complain but haven't posted here? If so, I agree: Feeling entitled to a gift is pretty awful.

My post wasn't a complaint but more musing about why we might want other kinds of rewards for people whose roleplay enhances the game. RPAs as they stand now are wonderful, and I thank every GM who's ever seen fit to give me one. They're great gifts! It's just that...well, they sometimes feel a little bit like getting a slice of cake for successfully reaching a fitness milestone. I love cake, but I feel a little guilty eating it as a reward for something that's kind of the opposite of cake. I feel as though if I eat the whole thing, I'm no longer doing the thing that earned me a reward in the first place.

Even that isn't a good analogy, because roleplaying and hunting aren't opposites. I roleplay my character when she's swatting vaespilons just as much as I do when she's hanging out on the porch. It's not either/or, and I enjoy roleplaying no matter where I am or what my character's doing. It's all the same to me whether she's in town or hunting (although it's admittedly easier to have a conversation when you aren't in mortal peril). The current structure of RPAs, on the other hand, gives a clear advantage to one kind of play over another -- and often, it's not the play-style that initially earned the RPA. When you get one, you're technically better off dropping what you're doing and going hunting, which is antithetical to hanging around until an event's organic conclusion or finishing your conversation. It's an issue that was discussed 16 years ago, and it's still one that merits revisiting.

I guess I'm looking at it from the other end of the telescope and seeing RPAs not as a means to erase a "penalty" for not hunting, as you describe it, but as a gift, a reward for contributing positively to the game's environment in some way. As it stands now, the people who make the most of this gift are the ones who change their behavior to maximize experience gain instead of those who keep doing what they were doing to earn that RPA.

>Keeping with the general thread theme, I do mostly like the idea of providing non-experience based RPA boosts as well.

That's exactly what I was trying to communicate and apparently didn't say well enough to be clear. RPAs tied to experience are incredibly useful, and I wouldn't want to see them disappear. It would be good if we kept the cake on the table but also added the possibility of apple pie, spinach crepes or fresh strawberries, so to speak.

Now I feel like kind of an ingrate for speaking about it at all, especially when I appreciate RPAs tremendously both for the recognition they represent and for the experience boost they give my already-far-behind-her-friends character. The cake is very welcome, and I don't want to come across as complaining that it's chocolate and not almond.
Re: Shifting Perceived Values 03/12/2015 10:29 PM CDT
>> I don't know where this view came from. Maybe there are some people in game who complain but haven't posted here? If so, I agree: Feeling entitled to a gift is pretty awful.

This. And the reason I was trying to make it clear that I wasn't directing it at you or your post.

>> It's all the same to me whether she's in town or hunting (although it's admittedly easier to have a conversation when you aren't in mortal peril).

This made me laugh because I find myself in this position more than I would like to admit. Pesky critters are so rude when you are trying to have a meaningful dialogue!

>> RPAs tied to experience are incredibly useful, and I wouldn't want to see them disappear. It would be good if we kept the cake on the table but also added the possibility of apple pie, spinach crepes or fresh strawberries, so to speak.

>> Now I feel like kind of an ingrate for speaking about it at all, especially when I appreciate RPAs tremendously both for the recognition they represent and for the experience boost they give my already-far-behind-her-friends character. The cake is very welcome, and I don't want to come across as complaining that it's chocolate and not almond.

Don't feel that way! I think this is a good conversation to have. It's been discussed a few times in the past (likely more than a few) and it seems that one of the major hurdles for GMs is that as soon as they award something beyond the current experience RPA then they run into issues with perceived favoritism. So... what are some ideas that would put the "apple pie, spinach crepes or fresh strawberries" on the table while still avoiding the potential cries of foul and favoritism if the the GMs started handing them out?

To expand on the RPABucks (a terrible name but it probably gets the point across) maybe those could be accumulated and spent on RP-ONLY-ITEMS at the RPA store? I don't even know if this is a good idea (I would need to think it through a lot more) but I'm hoping the suggestion draws some others into the discussion with some ideas that are better than mine!

-- Robert
Re: Shifting Perceived Values 03/12/2015 10:47 PM CDT
I wanted to leave the thread alone a couple days to see if it would grow organically.

I will admit, that most of the time when I post here on the boards, I am posting impulsively, without a lot of critical thought or analysis. This is the writer in me that says, "write now, revise later".

The discussion of RPA's is a good one, but - not at all - my point. Where concerns RPA's, two personal notes: 1) I do not get them very often anymore, and I RP all the time. 2) I am very appreciative of them, when I do get them. Regarding min/max - due to RL schedule issues, I can no longer recall the last time I used up my Gift of Lumnis. I do believe it was last year.

That noted, it seems silly to criticize someone who is wanting to get the most out of their XP award. It's like getting a 10x Vorpal sword of doom, but, meh, you just keep it in your locker, because you don't want to show off. Why? You got it. Use the thing! We are above using gifts given to us to give our characters more experience/skills? No, I disagree. Respectfully. However, I do not think NON MIN MAX folks are any better or worse than min max folks. We're paying a premium to play a niche boutique game, I don't think it is necessary to criticize how folks want to use that time or develop their character.

None of that was my point, and while I did mock those who "expect" an RPA for showing up at an NPC function, and I did make a broad assumption about how "some folks" respond to receiving an Roleplay reward, what I was getting at was ...

Theoretically, roleplay is its own reward. I am not discounting that. I get a tremendous joy out of Turinrond ruffling feathers and getting certain reactions to his stupid nonsense, and I'm not doing it for any other reason than I enjoy it. If I can coordinate a large scale RP event - fantastic - and the very reason I created the Dae'Randir however many years ago was to promote RP opportunities for the morally grey folks in Elanthia.

I stand by my observation that what people VALUE is not THAT. People value power. Power takes skill level and upgraded gear. People value COOL NEW GEAR, and that COOL NEW GEAR costs silvers.

I do not think there's any way to get around the gear/level valuestick. I do not think that we're going to evolve into an Elanthia where, for instance, a favor from Silvean or Lylia or Roblar is worth T5 Voln Armor, no matter how highly those characters are valued.

At the same time, however, we present ourselves this conundrum: The best things to have in this game, based in no small part upon general public opinion, is directly related to silvers and gear. The ONLY WAY to achieve the best things in this game is through hunting/buying/selling.

That may seem perfectly reasonable, and maybe that's just the way it is. It's fine by me. I'm broke, but I have most things that I want. Also, if I wanted to shift my focus, I could go be an earner.

The problem, to me, is that we are introducing a bunch of new folks to this world while the population is much lower than I've ever seen it (mind you, I was gone for 5 years), and IMLTHO, they are going to very quickly see what it takes to get the best stuff in Elanthia. And for all the folks that complain about scripting zombies (just yesterday, someone entered the NPC locksmith, opened one box, left and returned and did it all over again, about 15 times in about 45 seconds while I muddled through opening 3 boxes), so long as everyone values SILVERS to buy the cool new gear coming out, and so long as there are no alternative means of gaining experience and/or getting the best things, then... the scripting zombie problem is going to continue.

As I wrote a few months ago, I am not one to cause a stink or come on here and whine and complain. When I feel the number of improbably fast moving PC's in the game outnumber the number of folks with whom I can engage in RP - I will simply quietly and politely quit playing, because the environment has shifted toward a value that I do not share. That doesn't make those folks bad. IRL, for instance, I am a skilled boxer, but I do not enjoy conflict - thus, I would not join Fight Club, but I would not judge those that do. I would simply go somewhere else, to spend my time/money.

Anyway.

This is not about whether we are entitled to Roleplay rewards. As it has always been, that should remain the discretion of the Game Masters.

This is not about the relative efficiency or counter-intuitiveness of RPA's. I do not imagine that those are going away.

I simply feel that we are at a fork in the road, with a potential influx of new players, many of whom may stay and become paid subscribers and thus have an investment in their characters as many of us do, and since we are a relatively small group of players in a relatively niche/boutique game - we very much have the opportunity to change the perceived values of what is important.

I propose that solid RP, however you want to do it, should *have the potential* to result in as great a reward for the "coolest stuff in game" or "advancing in skill level and experience" as scripting. Will 24/7 script hunting be more productive? Sure, til you get busted. That's missing the point. I want to take away the feeling that the only way to advance is to grind it out.

That sounds a little crazy? We are probably the only game on the internet where such a thing would be possible. MOST EVERY RPG follows the model of "complete task" --> "gain experience" ---> "get reward" ---> "apply reward toward advanced equipment which enables the next series of tasks to be completed". I don't want that to go away.

I am simply proposing an alternative. I personally dislike that someone can automate playing a game as personalized and customized and complex and fantastic (where concerns the RP/storylines/etc) as this one, and get better results than someone who plays a great character, gets deeply involved in all the activities, knows tons of characters by name and reputation. I think an RPA is an inadequate reward for all the hard work that the CE GM's do to bring Elanthia to life and all the hard work that so many players do to expand upon that foundation.

RP is its own reward, yes. But, why should the automated robo hunters selling characters and silvers get all the cool stuff, then? If I want some cool stuff for my character, too, you know, I have to give up all the RP and go grind some experience and silvers.

Which is fine, if that's how ya'll want things. It's what every other game does, right?

I just think we're in a unique circumstance to .. shift the perceived values in GemStone.

Keep the RPA's. Keep the grind/grind/grind. Keep the cool merchant events and keep releasing cool new things, because they are awesome. Don't change those things.

Just ... consider... that if we expand or broaden the roleplay rewards to allow those that focus on roleplay and contributing to the tremendous depth and complexities in Elanthia, consider giving them an opportunity to slowly -also- work towards having some of the best things in Elanthia, whether that be experience/skill levels or gear.

I believe, perhaps naively, that if RP rewards ever have a chance to match that which is achievable by robo hunt MA scripting, you might slowly see more people embracing the RP, and enjoying it, and less emphasis on the silver/gear grind, which could (eventually) devalue that segment of the population. I think so long as we continue to embrace the model that only high level characters with tons of silvers are the only ones who can have the best things in game, we will continue to perpetuate the decline in an interactive player population and more towards an automated population.

Ignore, embrace, dismiss, discuss as suits you.

~ Bill, Coyote.

~ Voltaire
Re: Shifting Perceived Values 03/13/2015 01:06 PM CDT
Random RP achievement thoughts over lunch:

Access to special areas of the game based on RP based participation/achievements.
- Hunting areas/rest areas with shops or services that can only be accessed by members or an organization (or those that have been recognized by said organization).

Access to special events based on invitation via RP methods.
- Access to the 'Death of the evil terror that almost destroyed the world' celebration, by special invitation only.

RP based titles (this already occurs to some extent - Yay!)
- There has been a great thread going on already talking about different types of title/status achievements.

Reputation/status with certain organizations within the game (achieved via tasks and participation in events) that allow access to special privileges associated with a given organization.
- Similar to gaining fame in a town or with a society by doing tasks/participating in events tied to that organization. It would even be better if we had a number of such organizations that were at odds with one another such that actions that gain reputation with one could potentially reduce your reputation with another.
- Members who hold a certain level of reputation with the Golden order of Turnips are allowed to purchase magical turnips from their limited store, unlock turnip-wear to a level reserved for members in good standing, visit with the turnip master who comes by once a year, etc.

Just a few undeveloped thoughts on how to encourage RP based participation vs. grind and spend.

-- Robert

"Wyrom isn't interacting with me, I think he is AFK scripting for fun and profit."
Re: Shifting Perceived Values 03/13/2015 02:42 PM CDT

For myself, I am already cringing at the introduction of yet another form of currency in these DA scripts. We have silvers, premium points, adv guild bounty points, krolvin script, arena script. I am not certain another form of currency is what we need.

The game does set value of whatever some people deem a uber item, but the staff controls that value as well. Do you need 10x gear to 'win' GS IV? Certainly not. It is our responsibility to control the value of these items. The one constant in this game, is that actions create silver, endless amounts of silver. Play long enough you will amass a fortune, take a short cut and step out of game, you can amass it within minutes.

What is the silver good for, really? The staff sends in a merchant who charges 30m to enchant an item, and the market value on that item on the secondary market is 40m. How do you earn 40m? You hunt endlessly or you find someone to give them to you.

Players have complete control here. We can, as a group say no, that is not worth 30m, it is worth 300k to me. Or we can make the realization that we really don't need this item of perceived uberness to enjoy the game. We just need each other.

There are of course some pretty nifty things out there, but to this player, who capped the game in nothing over 5x gear, there is not a single line of text in the game worth 300m silver.

This is the line that should be drawn, before we create yet another form of payment or reward that would just further askew the perceived value of what the game offers.

- Guards haul off the stupid corpse. -
Re: Shifting Perceived Values 03/13/2015 03:13 PM CDT
>For myself, I am already cringing at the introduction of yet another form of currency in these DA scripts. We have silvers, premium points, adv guild bounty points, krolvin script, arena script. I am not certain another form of currency is what we need.

I was getting confused myself, so I started a category for it

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Category:Currency
Re: Shifting Perceived Values 03/13/2015 05:14 PM CDT

>>We have silvers, premium points, adv guild bounty points, krolvin script, arena script. I am not certain another form of currency is what we need.

For wahtever reason, the thought just occurred to me that if I could turn in one kind of these to get another, I probably would. Has anyone tried that in the bank exchanges?

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Shifting Perceived Values 03/18/2015 04:13 AM CDT
One fairly innocuous thought I had reading this thread over the last week was non-functional items that are worn.

I have several of these, but for whatever reason, they are "functional" items and occupy a slot in my inventory I might rather be using for an enhancive, etc.

I wonder to what extent a merchant service might allow for:

1) Making an item that seems to be non-functional in fact non-functional. Obviously, the merchant should inform the customer if any ability is being stripped

2) Allow the destruction of an enhancive item to enhance a similar item which is otherwise not enhancive or magical. Example: a wrist worn enhancive can have it's ability moved to some other item that is wrist worn and not already enhancive.

I don't see any reason to offer the service under any limitations (e.g. as a reward for RP...most people wanting this service want it for RP). I also know that there are the wardrobes now, and other things, which could be seen as making this less relevant ("there are options") or more relevant ("people seem to like this").

Definitely dressing up my characters is part of RP, and it's pretty lame if you got a cool alteration like a decade ago, and it's a non-functional "functional" wrist worn and you have two wrist-worn enhancives. (A particular example on one of my characters.)

I apologize that my post is only modestly on topic at all.

I always felt it was ironic that, in my mind, the Landing is the most devoid of RP count per capita, yet most the RPAs I've gotten over the last several years is for going there for certain aspects of the storyline. Considering this thread and min/maxing, it's actually kind of appropriate that it works out that way. Even when I would show up, half the struggle is trying to determine what's going on and what my character would do, and the other half is trying to stay calm and ignore all the people rather evidently doing anything possible to get an RPA so they can go hunt for more experience. Of course, there were many factors (like my real life schedule), but this kind of behavior actually discourages me from attending events that are supposedly roleplaying.

Getting rid of the mechanical benefit of RPAs for storyline events would generally improve the situation I think. I don't really see that another currency is a particularly optimal solution, either, though. Looking at all the shops and stores and items already available, I doubt a few more pre-made items are likely to expand my RP options or offer even a single item for a given character. Offering alteration scrolls, etc, would be nice, but this is a huge increased workload for staff.

"What Kaldonis does on his off time is totally Kaldonis's business, dude." ~Scribes