Oh.. what to do. 07/29/2014 12:03 PM CDT

I am somewhat perplexed by some of the in-game interactions, with no real in-game guidance. I returned in February after a 12-13 year absence.. and I recently talked my RL Hubby into playing as well. So many things have changed and it seems.. for the most part.. most of the game help is found OUTSIDE the game. It was this way before, as well.. and you learn as you go.. however.. it can be.. and is.. frustrating at times.

For instance, I was trying to work in Alchemy at the Empath Guild. I spent a good 2 hours trying to find the right NPC to even talk to. You can "Go Chair" to find one NPC.. but if you didn't know that.. which I didn't.. you have to ask or try to find web resources. ONCE you talk to that NPC... I thought I was bugged. She kept offering me to join the guild.. would take my dues.. but no further information was forthcoming. After a few weeks of this, I finally assisted and a Game Host showed up, told me I was already a member and that I had to find the NPC to start my tasks. Had the first NPC said to me "Go find so and so in the garden area, I could have just gone there. Instead, it turned into a timesink to find it all online.

Another.. My character got arrested. A box found pendant had quake in it and she rubbed it in town. Blamo! she was in the big house. I had a character arrested once eons ago, so I knew what was going on.. and the fruit stained clothes are a nice addition.. thank you very much. After her hearing.. I knew I had a box somewhere with my items in it. I wandered all over Moot Hall.. where she came out of after her hearing.. but .. I could NOT find the box. I spent better part of half an hour, going into each room looking for my box. There was no in messaging that my items would be back at the Constable's office. I had to ask on the net for help.. quite frustrating.

More recently.. I am trying to remove my character from a House. I was told to go see the guard east of TC at the hall. Once again.. I could not find what I was looking for. There is no in-game messaging on how to do this. I have been to the house clerk.. everywhere I can think of.. and I cannot find it.

Am I missing something on in-game resources?
Re: Oh.. what to do. 07/29/2014 12:17 PM CDT
If you are in icemule landing or TV you always have the option to ask a mentor. Go to silverwood manor and ring the doorbell. One of the mentors will come try to help answer your questions. Also ask around. Many tims in TSC I see people getting help all the time. There is usually someone that will help.
Re: Oh.. what to do. 07/29/2014 12:30 PM CDT

That's precisely what I am talking about. So many game mechanics are just.. unknown in game.

Hubby was trying to stand.. and couldn't. I told him to go stance off to stand.. which he did.. and then stood. All of these little tips that we know as players, can make the game daunting to folks who are new and just don't know.

IF I hadn't known so I could tell him..he would still be trying to stand.
Re: Oh.. what to do. 07/29/2014 02:00 PM CDT

>Am I missing something on in-game resources?

there are usually at least 100 other people playing. did you try asking another player?
Re: Oh.. what to do. 07/29/2014 02:04 PM CDT
I think she was hoping there were more in-game resources and ways to find things out without having to constantly ask other players. I can understand the frustration intellectually, but it's been so long since I've wondered how anything worked that I can't truly grasp how horrible of a feeling it might actually be.
Re: Oh.. what to do. 07/29/2014 02:23 PM CDT
I know HELP and VERB INFO are there but not complete. There is the sprite quest for new characters that does a decent job of giving new players the basics. I know there are those that do not like this answer but well its the truth. This is a multiplayer game. No other resource available to players will ever top the collective knowledge of the players in this game. if you dont want to ask IC then go ask the mentors. That is one of their major jobs is to help answer questions like that.
Re: Oh.. what to do. 07/29/2014 02:48 PM CDT
>I spent a good 2 hours trying to find the right NPC to even talk to. You can "Go Chair" to find one NPC.. but if you didn't know that.. which I didn't.. you have to ask or try to find web resources.

>I think she was hoping there were more in-game resources and ways to find things out without having to constantly ask other players.

yes, but before I spend a half hour (not 2 hours!) running around on any issue I remember that this is an interactive game with at least 100 other players. Regardless of whether someone has been gone a long time, players need to realize that the best in game resource is each other. The task master NPC is clearly labeled.

>There was no in messaging that my items would be back at the Constable's office.

I'd have to check my logs but I believe there is messaging about where to find your stuff.

A simple whisper or thought out on the amulet asking for help works just about every time. The game is designed to require interaction.
Re: Oh.. what to do. 07/29/2014 02:49 PM CDT
A lot of the Gemstone interface is not at all intuitive. Alchemy and the guild systems are particularly frustrating examples. Krakiipedia (http://www.krakiipedia.org) contains a wealth of information but when it comes to the weirdness of Gemstone syntax, you may at times find yourself forced to ask another player or puzzle through it on your own. It took me a full year to feel like I had my common Gemstone actions figured out again. When it comes to the more cumbersome and infrequently used systems (e.g. the Animate Dead spell), I still struggle a little.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I often see GMs and veteran players making visible syntax errors. And in Gemstone's defense, I always end up spending a lot of time trying to research and unravel the systems in most video games. I recently read that the strategy guide for Fallout: New Vegas has more words than War and Peace.

In contrast to my character, I'm helpful. If you need something, feel free to contact me quietly in game or e-mail: silveanrashere@gmail.com

Silvean's Player
Re: Oh.. what to do. 07/29/2014 02:59 PM CDT

>In contrast to my character, I'm helpful.

Silvean is totally helpful to other Faendryl sorcerers.
Re: Oh.. what to do. 07/29/2014 03:24 PM CDT

<I think she was hoping there were more in-game resources and ways to find things out without having to constantly ask other players. I can understand the frustration intellectually, but it's been so long since I've wondered how anything worked that I can't truly grasp how horrible of a feeling it might actually be.>

Precisely. When I have been stymied.. I ask for help on the net, but I don't like doing it. It's a last resort to me. Especially when you are met sometimes with folks who KNOW the resources and are snerty or rude. For instance. When I asked on the net about the Empath Guild Alchemy area when I was lost.. I got a private thought to me saying "Krakii". I had been reading page after page there trying to find the info. When I said I had looked and couldn't find it.. they said "Well.. I can't come play your character for you. Figure it out". While I know this was the exception more than the rule.. it compounded my frustration. 99.9% of the folks I have met have been extremely helpful in getting back up to speed on things and if I see an in-game action and I whisper "How did you do that?" I have never had anyone NOT respond, so that's been great.

The Empath Guild NPC is labeled.. Yes. but finding them? Was tough. The Krakii page does not tell you to "Go Chair" to find the first NPC.. the First NPC doesn't tell you that the SECOND NPC is through the portal..over the hills and thru the woods and behind Grandma's house. The first NPC just keeps saying "You want to be in the guild?" when as far as I can tell.. I have already joined. While I am all for exploring and trying to figure things out on my own.. which is why I spent the time in game doing just that, sometimes you just wish for better resources so that you can PLAY. Seems this game is built around player resources providing information and with the player base so much lower than it was a decade or more ago, there aren't as many player websites as there used to be.
Re: Oh.. what to do. 07/29/2014 03:41 PM CDT
Oh yeah, you are just as likely to get a smartass answer on Lnet as you are to get a correct answer. People will purposely mislead and troll you just cause they can. I've never really understood all that, but it happens. Lnet is extremely juvenile by nature, but I live with it because of its utility.

A nice thing about having access to Lich, and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to even talk about this on these boards, but there's almost a script for everything. I actually don't use scripts to do too much (and never use any AFK scripts, it's just not my thing), but you can learn from one, just by using it once. Lets say for example, you forgot how to get deeds at the temple, or how to get deeds from the drawer. Chances are there's a script called ;deeds and one called ;drawer (I have no idea if either of those exist, which is convenient for keeping this discussion safe).

You could proabably run ;deeds once, see how it gets you a deed and then learn the mechanics. Sure, that's "Cheating" compared to figuring it out, but at least you didn't have to ask anyone. Or by using ;go2 to get to myklians, you would learn an old in-game puzzle that not many people understand these days.

I know that's not an in-game solution to your problem, but it's just a thought. You can do ";repo list" and then paste the whole list into word/notepad and then do a search for various names to find scripts that might help, even if you only use them for learning purposes. Lots of guilds (like warrior, rogue) have repetition scripts on there that would take you to the NPC and ask for tasks, which would at least show you where they are. No clue of there's an Empath one on there.

But yeah...to actually address your point: It would be great if there were more in-game hints/pointers. I think stuff that's been coded in the last 5-10 years has gotten better at that, but all the older systems just throw you to the wolves and make you have at. it.
Re: Oh.. what to do. 07/29/2014 04:10 PM CDT

>The Krakii page does not tell you to "Go Chair" to find the first NPC..

"think on guild can someone please give me a tour of the guild?" would get you to the more appropriate audience and less likely to get someone who you think is just being a wise ass.

The person who said krakii was actually efficiently pointing you to where you should be looking if you wanted a gimme answer. There is a very good map there with all the rooms and portals clearly labeled (including the go chair), this was accessible one click from the "empath guild" page. If you don't want to take the time to look at and search everything to find the appropriate portal, then you should be looking up maps. I know this is sounding harsh, but looking up things in a web browser is going to be a lot faster than having them develop redundant information in game, and I highly doubt there is staff available to go back over everything and develop the type of system you're looking for.

http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Empath_Guild_(Wehnimer%27s_Landing)

If you would like help in using krakiipedia, I would be happy to help you over IM if you email me your AIM sn or gchat handle to my play.net email.
Re: Oh.. what to do. 07/29/2014 04:22 PM CDT

If you use Stormfront with the hyperlinks highlighted, be sure you use your mouse at times for NPCs. It'll often give you a list of questions you could ask them about..or actions they might respond to.

Lochiven
Re: Oh.. what to do. 07/29/2014 05:23 PM CDT
<<http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Empath_Guild_(Wehnimer%27s_Landing)>>

That map is actually incorrect. The hub at the center has been revamped to make it traversable by simply going in the eight compass directions. The portal still goes between the courtyard and the hub, but there's no "go southern opening" nonsense anymore.

To the original poster, asking the guildmaster about training mentions that you should be going to find the training administrator. Since the guildmaster is the guildmaster and not the training administrator, that might indicate that you should be going to find someone else.

Gretchen

Visit the GSGuide wiki, now home to merchant shop inventory lists! http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/GSGuide_Wiki
Meeting Nilandia: http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Nilandia
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Oh.. what to do. 07/29/2014 05:38 PM CDT

>That map is actually incorrect.

it would get her over the chairs issue, which she spent 2 hours looking for.
Re: Oh.. what to do. 07/29/2014 05:48 PM CDT

It took me some time to figure out the chair issue.. but the 2 hours was spent trying to deal with the first NPC. In the drop down questions, there are questions about joining, paying dues.. etc. You are suppose to just.. 'know' that there is another npc because the verbage from the FIRST npc.. never really let me know I was joined. I thought I was bugged because that NPC never seemed to acknowledge I was IN the guild.. after I joined and paid dues.
Re: Oh.. what to do. 07/30/2014 04:44 AM CDT
GLD is the command for guild stuff and you can often sort out the ambiguities of what the NPCs say by checking your status with GLD.

It won't help you find the training administrator if that particular guild has them parked inside a locked cabinet at the bottom of some dark stairs with a notice on the door saying "Beware of the Tiger", but it will help sort out just what your status is.
Re: Oh.. what to do. 07/30/2014 10:11 AM CDT
I like the comment about using Lich scripts to learn and figure things out as an option, but I would caution folks not to run an unfamiliar script not knowing what it does. However, you could download the script and then open it in notepad and search it for what you are looking for, or just scan down through it until you find the appropriate section.

Always best to read through a script to make sure it is safe before you run it. I've never seen anyone seriously troll by intentionally uploading bad scripts, but it is possible. Lich isn't the apple app store after all, there isn't a moderator reading through all uploaded scripts, and some scripts might do things that could get you in trouble in Prime that are perfectly acceptable in Shattered.