Things that pull you out of Invisibility. 04/21/2017 10:22 AM CDT
Can this be looked into to make it actually make sense or just remove all the other tedious things that can pull you from invisibility?

I can be invisible and jump up and down all day long and I don't come out of invisibility.
I can scream, dance, roar...make all sorts of noise and I don't fade from invisibility.
I can drag things around while invisible and my invisibility doesn't fade.

Eating an herb, I fade out of invisibility:
>You take a bite of your ambrominas leaf.
>You fade into sight.
>Your right hand feels better.

Poking my hand on something while foraging, I fade. (As you forage around you suddenly feel a sharp pain in your right hand! Your startled movement makes you visible again!) - Yet I can jump, dance, scream, yell, roar, etc and make all sorts of other sudden movement or loud noises and I don't fade into sight.

I tend to keep invisible while foraging since people have a horrible habit of pulling me up from kneeling due to their stupid script hunting they're using (I'm not saying they're AFK, they're just utilizing a script that pulls people up from prone positions). When I'm invisible, they don't pull me up and irritate me.

There's no real rhyme or reason that one certain action makes you fade and others don't. The only things that should make you fade is if you fail a dispel invisibility ward, a creature can find you (which needs to be looked into still if you ask me) and attacking something.

-Drumpel
Re: Things that pull you out of Invisibility. 04/21/2017 10:31 AM CDT
>>and make all sorts of other sudden movement or loud noises

Erm. . . not good, not good!

Oh, yeah - I know, how about 'group close'? Isn't that what gives the 'puller' the message "looks content lying there"?

Doug
Re: Things that pull you out of Invisibility. 04/21/2017 10:38 AM CDT

>Oh, yeah - I know, how about 'group close'? Isn't that what gives the 'puller' the message "looks content lying there"?

Demeanor.

https://gswiki.play.net/DEMEANOR_(verb)
Re: Things that pull you out of Invisibility. 04/21/2017 10:41 AM CDT
Ahh, yeah. That. Thanks, V!

Doug
Re: Things that pull you out of Invisibility. 04/21/2017 01:02 PM CDT
>There's no real rhyme or reason that one certain action makes you fade and others don't. The only things that should make you fade is if you fail a dispel invisibility ward, a creature can find you (which needs to be looked into still if you ask me) and attacking something.

It's because jumping around and screaming and all that isn't considered a combat action, while eating herbs is.

And I would assume also that even though you're invisible, you're not necessarily in hiding as the reason why screaming and jumping and all that doesn't pull you out.

It would be nice to not still be getting sniffed out by kobolds and rats at level 100 though.

~ Methais
Re: Things that pull you out of Invisibility. 04/21/2017 02:12 PM CDT
>It's because jumping around and screaming and all that isn't considered a combat action, while eating herbs is.

Which may be the case, but it's a lame one.

I can do all these different things with others in the room and my invisibility doesn't fade:
>incant 916
You trace a series of glowing runes while chanting the phrase for Invisibility...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
You refresh your invisibility.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>
[ Invisibility: +0:49:00, 0:49:00 remaining. ]
Xxxxxxxxx just arrived.
>
Xxxxxxxxx removes an eonake ball and chain from in his spidersilk harness.
>
Xxxxxxxxx removes a fel-handled eonake war hammer from in his spidersilk harness.
>fall
You fall over. Clumsy oaf!
>stand
You stand back up.
>lie
You lie down.
>rol
You roll around on the ground.
>cack
You cackle!
>scream
You scream!
>
>flail
But no one can see you!
>st
You stand back up.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
Roundtime changed to 2 seconds.
>flail
But no one can see you!
>
You feel at full magical power again.
>
>tap xxxx
You lightly tap Xxxxxxxxx on the shoulder.
>poke xxxx
You poke Xxxxxxxxx in the ribs.
>slap xxxx
You slap Xxxxxxxxx upside the head! Good thing that he has no idea who did it!
>
>lick xxxx
>
You startle Xxxxxxxxx by licking him!
>breath heavy
You breathe quietly. Nobody notices.
>whistle
You whistle tunelessly to yourself, remembering days past.
>hum
You attempt to hum a merry little tune.

I just think it needs to be re-visited and many things corrected, that is all.

On a side note, when someone hears an invisible person HUM, somehow they know if it's a him or her, yet they cannot see the person:

>You hear someone humming to himself in the shadows.

In SF I can click on himself and choose profile from the option menu that comes up and pull up the person's profile, I can tell who is invisible. I don't think that should be possible.

-Drumpel
Re: Things that pull you out of Invisibility. 04/21/2017 03:10 PM CDT
>>Which may be the case, but it's a lame one.

It's actually a telling one. There's no GM available to remind you that certain liberties likely aren't too smart when you're invisible, to give you the chance to take back your action (think parlor game style).

Still, there are oddities, and Methais got one right! That latitude was around allowing for interaction while invisible but not in combat (poking, licking, etc.) to further roleplay opportunities.

Most activities that lead to gathering wealth (hunting, foraging, etc.) have RT, which is a pretty good indicator that invisibility will fail.

But it isn't perfect - each case needs to be looked at individually. In the 'ideal' implementation of Invisibility, anything that is a sudden, jarring or interruptable (like leaning into someone's personal space and bumping or getting bumped) would cause Invisibility to drop.

Which is why we should be very careful about suggesting it get 'fixed'.

Although frankly, at one point, I hope this spell moves to Arcane circle, and we get something with a bit more utility for the lands.

Doug
Re: Things that pull you out of Invisibility. 04/21/2017 05:41 PM CDT
>In SF I can click on himself and choose profile from the option menu that comes up and pull up the person's profile, I can tell who is invisible. I don't think that should be possible.

You can tell, but your character can't.

As for screaming and jumping, why should things like that pull you out of invisibility? Especially if nobody's trying to "find" you? And if they are, they cast 109 or enlist the help of a rolton, which has a much better nose than we do. Or something.

If you're hiding behind a rock and you start jumping up and down, of course it's going to break hiding, because people know where you are now because they can physically see your head bobbing up and down from behind that big rock.

With invisibility, you can jump up and down all day and although they might hear it, they can't just look over and be like, "Oh that's Methais jumping up and down behind that rock over there." because how do they know who it is without seeing me if I'm not speaking for them to recognize my voice?

Hiding still has to deal with physical barriers. Invisibility doesn't. Why? Magic.

It's not without its drawbacks though. RIP invisible man from Three Amigos.

And plus you know...anytime wizard stuff gets "fixed" we get nerfed in the process.

"I've made some adjustments to Invisibility per your suggestion. While I was looking at the code, I also reduced the duration to a flat 5 seconds and made it require Stalking & Hiding as well as water lore to increase the duration on a seed 10."

Do you want things like that? Because that's how we get things like that. :(

~ Methais
Re: Things that pull you out of Invisibility. 05/10/2017 10:07 PM CDT

It's already completely useless, I don't see the harm in a "review" really.