917 - timing of second crit cycle too fast? 04/11/2017 09:47 AM CDT
I do my best to avoid creatures that cast this spell, but I make good use of it. What I've noticed from time to time that the initial cast is almost immediately followed up by the 2nd crit cycle.

I'll cast the spell and my 3 sec cast RT starts on SF, before it ticks down one second the second crit cycle has triggered. I'm guessing it could simply be based on the fact of data going to the server and then getting returned to my screen, that lag could account for this....so by the time my 3 second cast RT ticks down and I can cast another spell, 917 has gone through 3 of the 6 crit cycles (initial crit, 2nd and 3rd crit).

None of the other crit cycles show up as almost triggering immediately after each other like the initial cast and the 2nd crit cycle of it. Which makes me believe that the 2nd crit cycle is triggering faster than 2 seconds. This happens at both my place of work and at my home, so it's not just isolated to one place and one network for me.

-Drumpel
Re: 917 - timing of second crit cycle too fast? 04/11/2017 10:38 AM CDT
Hmm. . . I'll watch for this. Honestly can't say as I've seen it, but then I tend to be a bit busy with other critters when 917 is ticking down. So I probably wouldn't notice it.

Doug
Re: 917 - timing of second crit cycle too fast? 04/11/2017 10:59 AM CDT
Your front end doesn't know about the castRT until it gets word back from the server, across whatever latency may be there. Meanwhile, the server is firing off the next cycle 2s later.

It is this response speed which I have, many times, posted about taking exception to. Even with an "oh, crap" solution ('shout rally'/1040, in my case), I may be looking at "damage from the third one after I issue the command" before I find out that hey, I broke loose... and now need to try to break loose aga-- nope, already dead.
Re: 917 - timing of second crit cycle too fast? 04/11/2017 11:18 AM CDT
>Your front end doesn't know about the castRT until it gets word back from the server, across whatever latency may be there. Meanwhile, the server is firing off the next cycle 2s later.

None of the other cycles appear to fire off faster, it's just the initial cast and second crit cycle. Every other cycle appears to hold a pretty steady 2 second span between them.

It very well could just be the response back from the server to my screen, but I don't notice any other cycle (2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th or 5th to 6th) that seems to almost fire right after the previous crit cycle with hardly any pause between them.

Maybe the the time between the first crit cycle and the 2nd one needs to be extended out to 3 seconds and then all following crit cycles trigger every 2 seconds like they currently do?

-Drumpel
Re: 917 - timing of second crit cycle too fast? 04/11/2017 11:33 AM CDT
If there's a culprit, I suspect it will be along the lines of what we experience with Temporal Revision. Irrespective, though - Robert, your own reasoning doesn't seem accurate to me.

If the spell originates on the server, there is none of this lag - comms occur when a message is in queue and available. To suggest it would consistently be between cycle 1 and 2 and never noticable anywhere else? I'ma no thinka so.

So, if we're saying we are seeing it as a player when cast on a critter (which I could understand the 'lag' argument) and seeing it as a player when cast on a character (which wouldn't be subject to 'lag' as it is being described here), then we're dealing with a 'feature.'

And I'm sure that'll just piss some folks off - even though I'd love to see it.

Anyway, it's the work of moments to set up a tracking script. Now, to just find those moments.

Doug
Re: 917 - timing of second crit cycle too fast? 04/11/2017 11:58 AM CDT
My point is that, due to the vagaries of internet traffic, two messages notionally 2s apart (and certainly that, when fired from the sender) can appear to arrive in quick succession downstream.

The first two are where you're most likely to notice (in the sense of "be aware of", as opposed to "have it occur") it, because you're also dealing with a concurrent 3s timer. The later cycles, you're involved with other things and it's more "background".
Re: 917 - timing of second crit cycle too fast? 04/11/2017 02:35 PM CDT
Oh, I get the optics of what you're suggesting. I also understand the human mind's time delay in registering. And the erroneous eye flick time sensitivity, and even the inaccuracies associated with the round time counter of the various clients (that being a big part of this, I'm sure).

None of which mandate a variance of time between the first and second cycles at the client end. Which is why it must be measured! Someday. . .

Doug