Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: 917 in Spell Active 03/28/2017 12:38 PM CDT
>As a quick point of reference we're talking. . . 5 creatures before cap? Out of . . . hundreds?

Plus Grim.

A quick flick of Wyrom's wrist sends a dagger into flight!
The thorny barrier surrounding you blocks Wyrom's attack!
One of the vines surrounding you lashes out at Wyrom, driving a thorn into his skin! Wyrom flinches slightly.
Re: 917 in Spell Active 03/29/2017 07:32 AM CDT
>2 sec is faster than a lot of people can react, even if you have a panic button. For the critters in their 20s, it's clearly too powerful. Most PCs at that level don't have a way to break a stun, and are still catching up on core training. However, if PCs can use a spell, I think critters should be able to use it. PC-only is a cop-out. If we ask for reliable killing spells, critters should be able to use them back on us. Maybe less frequently, though, and limited to the levels where we start seeing high-level sorcerer spells cast at us.

In that case, nerfing the spell because some people have slow reactions and can't press their panic button in under 2 seconds is also a copout.

Otherwise, players should get access to every spell, ability, and maneuver that critters do.

Including roa'ter burrowing.

>It IS helpful for game balance, though, and maybe a little humbling, when a player must consider being a likely target of whatever he's suggesting.

Critters also play by different rules than players do.

>Estild posting stuff

While you're here would you mind weighing in on the recent attunement/phantom lore ranks discussion? Inquiring minds want to know what dev thinks.

~ Methais
Re: 917 in Spell Active 03/29/2017 10:16 AM CDT
>In that case, nerfing the spell because some people have slow reactions and can't press their panic button in under 2 seconds is also a copout.

This is true, in a sense, but I don't think our goal should be to make combat so incredibly fast that it isn't feasible to survive without scripting. I think most players will agree that scripts shouldn't be necessary. If 2 sec is faster than a lot of people can react, then more players will see scripts as necessary to survive.
Re: 917 in Spell Active 03/29/2017 11:02 AM CDT
That's what I'm saying.

I have (now, on the Bard) a macro for "shout rally\r" (which will break him out of the stun and stand him up, most of the time).

I have the numpad for compass movement, and I even have a different macro for "go door\r" (because there's a ton of doors in GemStone).

But if he's a room with a non-'door' exit--like "go stairway", in the SW Skew of the Stronghold--then he's screwed, because I cannot type that fast enough to get it in before the next 2s cycle fires off. Not even "go sta<enter>".

(Or, as happened over the weekend, I did get off the "go sta<enter>"... but a hunting partner had already done a "drag bozo sta", so I just walked right back into the room with the caster. (Who, fortunately, was dead by then, but it could have turned ugly.))

Because the spell, once active, is resident on the server, it is GOING to fire off in 2s. The human's responses--even with a script getting triggered automatically--is subject to the vagaries of Bad Internet.

AND, that whole "2s [of spell cycle repeating] is faster than 3s [of castRT expiring so we can try to escape again, because we got hit by the next cycle, because Human Over Teh Intarwebz]" issue, too.
Re: 917 in Spell Active 03/29/2017 11:16 AM CDT
I hear ya, Robert - and I'll bet the blood was pumping, too! Where else can you buy that kind of surreal excitement, I ask.

So far, Doug's Tactics would look something like

1) Macros (check)
2) Hunting partner (double check and good on you!)
3) Situational awareness:
- a) Never, ever engage a spell caster in a room without standard exits
Appendix 1) Buy deeds ((TM) - GM Ken-something)

3a is how the Elf (and as I indicated earlier, nearly all my characters whether it's fair or not in terms of RP) will survive, 99.5% of the time. 3b is the oft-stated (by me) fade to a favorable location and wait. I call that 'patience'.

Doug
Re: 917 in Spell Active 03/29/2017 12:59 PM CDT
>This is true, in a sense, but I don't think our goal should be to make combat so incredibly fast that it isn't feasible to survive without scripting. I think most players will agree that scripts shouldn't be necessary. If 2 sec is faster than a lot of people can react, then more players will see scripts as necessary to survive.

If you're already in a hunting situation and paying attention to what's going on, there is no reason outside of some sort of medical issue/handicap why it should take more than 2 seconds to hit a macro.

It's 2 seconds, not 0.2 seconds.

>But if he's a room with a non-'door' exit--like "go stairway", in the SW Skew of the Stronghold--then he's screwed, because I cannot type that fast enough to get it in before the next 2s cycle fires off. Not even "go sta<enter>".

Set a macro for "remove gold ring\r wear gold ring\r"

Don't have a gold ring or can't ring in that area? Set a macro for incant 1020\r

Not a bard? Incant 130\r

Wizard? Incant 930 and find refuge in a temporal rift and pop back out to safety.

Don't have spells? Voln fog / Sign of Darkness / Sigil of Escape

Don't have enough spirit to Darkness out? Should have joined Voln.

Don't have any favor to Voln fog with? Should have joined COL where all you gotta worry about is mana and spirit if you're that lazy.

Can't Sigil of Escape because you already popped your muscles? Shouldn't have sold that 1107 scroll to the pawnshop. Should have also just joined Voln.

Don't have spells and you didn't join a society? You'll just have to accept the fact that snowflake builds die more. Call it a hipster tax.

Can't join a society because you're F2P? Visit the Simucoin store and fix that.

Don't have any money? Get a job.

Can't get a job? Fill a couple garbage bags with empty soda cans until you can afford a society potion.

Everyone has at least one ability to completely remove their character from pretty much any combat situation.

~ Methais
Re: 917 in Spell Active 03/29/2017 02:12 PM CDT
"Set a macro for "remove gold ring\r wear gold ring\r"" -- Methais

I have LONG thought that GemStone treasure should be set (and GM Merchants, trained) specifically to prohibit the creation of "gold" and "ring" adjective & noun combination.
Because the character in question, for example, is wearing a <something pretty> 'gold ring' with a nice Enhancive bonus, and hits that about 50% of the time depending on whether he's on a head-to-toe or toe-to-head sort that day from the system.

(Oh, and "no ring" from that area, too. So no TravelSong. Song works on the [Upper Landing], but not ring, as I recall.)
Re: 917 in Spell Active 03/30/2017 01:25 AM CDT
In addition to that long list of options, would an imbed with elemental dispel work to get rid of an active 917?
Re: 917 in Spell Active 03/30/2017 10:47 AM CDT
I think so!

I just believe that, like me, most wizards aren't likely to go there first because you can't 'tell dispel which spell' to knock off. I seem to recall some player feedback about taking down spells in a certain order. I remained quiet because I don't believe there should be any absolute path (but you've all heard me say that before).

But as it is today, you might even get to cast it twice! Sadly, it might also be to no avail.

Doug
Re: 917 in Spell Active 03/30/2017 02:46 PM CDT
It sounds to me like being hit by 917 in a room whose only exit is something you have to manually type out that you don't already have macroed would just be too rare to alter any game mechanics over.

Maybe not as rare as a situation where 915 or 514 would be the best option in a fight, but still pretty rare.

In which case, just make a macro for those special exits since you already know ahead of time you're going to be dealing with it + 917.

Some of that "adaptation" that people on here love to tell other people to do and all.

~ Methais
Re: 917 in Spell Active 03/30/2017 03:16 PM CDT
Now that I'm beginning to approach the level of the shamen, I get more reliable death-crits (I've also switched back to the Sonic Runestaff in the last couple of days, to see if the crit output is what I want it to be) so I am also contemplating running Tonis/1035 for the extra Dodging ranks that provides.
Each cast will last me nearly 90s, and I can usually fry in one quartz orb/5 minutes or less, so it's only 105 mana...

And Contemplar's post about "each skill rank carries equal weight in the calculation" has inspired me to pick up more Perception ranks (tons cheaper than CM or Dodging).

So, yeah. Adapt & Overcome, right? :)
Re: 917 in Spell Active 03/30/2017 03:38 PM CDT
>So, yeah. Adapt & Overcome, right? :)

Yes.
https://cdn.meme.am/images/9073252.jpg

~ Methais
Re: 917 in Spell Active 03/30/2017 06:39 PM CDT
>>I just believe that, like me, most wizards aren't likely to go there first because you can't 'tell dispel which spell' to knock off.

I was under the impression that the most recent cast spells were dispelled first, at least for players. If someone could confirm or deny that though, it would be great.
Re: 917 in Spell Active 04/12/2017 02:22 PM CDT
>I was under the impression that the most recent cast spells were dispelled first, at least for players. If someone could confirm or deny that though, it would be great.

It appears that if you cast 417 it will save you from Earthen Fury. Thankfully I didn't have to take a beating to test it out. Spirit came in on me (followed me) and I had just cast at the mezic, so I was in cast RT. It cast 917 on me (yeah, my ability to dodge it from a tree spirit is pretty darn good!). I was trying to get 417 up and cast at the tree spirit to kill whatever spell it had prepped, but I was a second too slow. I ran out of the room and used my prepped 417 to CAST at myself and it removed 917.

A tree spirit gestures at you!
The ground beneath your feet suddenly frosts and rumbles violently!
The earth cracks beneath you, releasing a column of frigid air!
[SMR result: 33 (Open d100: 26)]
You dodge out of the way!
prep 417
You trace a simple rune while intoning the mystical phrase for Elemental Dispel...
Your spell is ready.
The earth cracks beneath a mezic, releasing a column of frigid air!
[SMR result: 127 (Open d100: 60)]
... 15 points of damage!
The mezic falters as a chill blast of air strikes her left leg!
The mezic is stunned!
The earth cracks beneath you, releasing a column of frigid air!
[SMR result: 67 (Open d100: 58)]
You dodge out of the way!
e
[Vornavian Coast, Foggy Valley]
The ground of the path turns to shattered stone here, poking sharply up from the ground. Footing is difficult on the shifting, sliding rocks. Clattering stones can be heard to the west. You also see a wolverine and a point of elemental instability.
Obvious paths: northeast, west
Your disk arrives, following you dutifully.
An icy mist rises from the ground near you as the ground rumbles.
A wolverine tries to bite you!
A heavy barrier of stone momentarily forms around you and blocks the attack!
cast
You gesture.
The ground beneath you suddenly calms.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page