Elemental Lore preview 06/28/2009 12:54 AM CDT
It looked pretty awesome. Some major benefits for earth and water lores!

A tiny gnome runs up to you, and you realize no one else can see or hear it, as it mutters in your ear, "Hah! That's right, the cushions will tie you down and keep you from ever leaving! Evil erithi plot!
Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/28/2009 08:40 AM CDT
Is there somewhere we can view the details of this review?
Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/28/2009 01:18 PM CDT
I've gotten perhaps 10-12 total hours sleep since Wednesday and I am at the airport waiting for my flight home. If the Lore review has not been posted by tomorrow, I will type out the eight page handout from Naos.
:D

Askip
Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/28/2009 07:27 PM CDT
Turns out I have 8 copies of the rift creature preview instead of the 8 pages of the elemental lore preview, so it's up to you!

FOOL! You've activated my trap card!
Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/28/2009 08:42 PM CDT
I expect Naos will pipe in with a cleaned up/formatted version shortly, and I'd rather he paste than I type.

Let's give him a day or two to recover.

Askip

Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/28/2009 10:16 PM CDT
Rest assured that it's awesome, though!

Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/29/2009 12:36 AM CDT
Dang! I've been dreading a really awesome lore review. Now I'll want to drop all my first aid/survival ranks to get lore ranks!
Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/29/2009 09:33 AM CDT
>Now I'll want to drop all my first aid/survival ranks to get lore ranks!

But only briefly. :)

I would take a nice pelt over more AS/DS, which covers many of the changes.

Enchant, Eblade, and even Edge get some love, so the utilities were not ignored.

Still nada for Charge Item though.

Askip
Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/29/2009 09:46 AM CDT
Someone really needs to post this stuff for those of us (the majority of the games playerbase) who could not attend simucon.

Keith/Kithus

"It's my own goal to keep you better informed of our progress toward these goals in 2009, as we work to finish what we started."

Sirina - 2009 Goals
Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/29/2009 10:04 AM CDT
Copies of the changes were in short supply so I don't have one off hand. I think GM Naos might have been delayed a day or two so would expect it some time this week. I can guarantee the list to be posted before the changes go live so shouldn't be too much to worry about.

Also, in regards to charge item. He did say he was going to dig around in the spell to find out how to works which could mean he's considering tweaking it. Obviously that is my assumption and should not be taken as fact.
Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/29/2009 10:17 AM CDT
I also pressed the suggestion of potions of various levels (Alchemy or not) that lessen the difficultly to Charge.

Naos replied...
Hmmm.

Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/29/2009 10:33 AM CDT
I neglected to steal one of the printed copies of all of the changes, unfortunately. It was six or seven sheets of paper in total. There's a lot.

Here's a few sketchy details on what I remember:

Basically...

Fire = Offense
Earth = Defense
Air = Quickness/Speed/Agility/That kind of stuff
Water = Utility

Some of the notables...

409 and 415 will gain the ability to hit multiple targets with some fire lore.

Earth lore will give some self-cast benefits to 401/406/414/419. One must be wearing all three levels of guards for them to be active. Steps will be taken so that accidentally getting a shot of 419 from someone else won't screw up the self-castness of the set. The ability is sort of a deflection shield that has a chance to go off and completely block an attack... I think.

Water and Air both add to a benefit to 901/910 that add a special stunning ability. One adds to the likelyhood of the shock, the other adds to the duration.

Fire can turn 906 into sort of a mini-immolation, adding some damage over time.

904 will gain some additional abilities too, but I don't recall the specifics.

513 will get some nice benefits. One lore will help reduce the physical AS penalty this spell gives, allowing warmages to consider using it more. Another lore will also grant a very small-percentage chance for a +20 boost to CS on the cast of a warding-based elemental attack spell.

412/413 will get some benefits from fire lore with the hope being that we might actually consider using these spells.

903 will gain the ability to give critters a sort of "soaked" state. Why would we want to do this? We know what happens when lightning and water mix.

503 will get a pretty straightforward DS boost from earth lore.

Edge and e-blade will gain the ability to be cast on magical weapons with enough water lore. The bonus you can edge/eblade will depend on how much lore you have. The enchant boost will stack with the bonus the weapon already has. So, a +10 weapon with an eblade becomes a nice, shiny +30. As I recall, the lore benefits max out on a +18 weapon.

Lore will also let us enchant flaring weapons. I have no information about the difficulty of doing so. So uh, don't ask me about that. What you can enchant will correlate with the lore you have. You need fire lore to enchant fire flaring weapons. Water will be cold flares. Earth will be earth/vibe/whatever you want to call it. Air seems to still be under discussion. Similarly to the sancted and enhanced things, expect to also need an alchemical pre-temper potion for this.

This is certainly NOT an all-inclusive list and I've left out most of the numbers and specific details. This is just some stuff that I can manage to remember on a monday morning with no sleep and minimal coffee.

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."
Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/29/2009 02:11 PM CDT
Just a reminder that it isn't only wizards that use elemental spells, I know, we're the forgotten profession, and I'm sure our needs are utterly unconcerning to the PTB, but there are bards too, and even magical rogues.

The most appropriate place for this review discussion is the general magical folder.

Virilneus
Curse Buffs for Sorcerers
http://www.virilneus.com/blog/2007/12/08/curse-buffs/
Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/29/2009 02:22 PM CDT
>The most appropriate place for this review discussion is the general magical folder.

Naos will surely post there, we are just hiding it from the sorcerers.

Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/29/2009 05:59 PM CDT
I'll try elaborate on some of the fire ones (because that's what I paid the most attention to).

906 "mini immolation" version will cause periodic damage as if something were aflame. I think the duration was something around 5-10 seconds, and obviously casting 903 at your target afterwards negates the fire flare damage. It's not suppose to make the creature fall to the ground in attempt to smother the flames.

It was 903 or 904 (I think 904) that will gain the ability to become minor steam with a minimum of 20(?) fire lore ranks. It would cost one additional mana point and would need to be channeled, resulting in three seconds of hard RT.

409 and 415 will gain the ability to hit multiple targets as Raelee already stated. The amount goes up at certain thresholds of fire lore, and will cost 5 additional mana. Naos wasn't sure if it will be 5 additional mana per creature, or an additional cost of 5 flat for the mass version. He was leaning towards the former (and that made me sad). I don't remember the max amount of targets.

Edge and e-blade looked pretty nifty. In addition to water lore making it possible to edge/blade already enchanted weapons, all of the lores will add some unique (temporary) property to the item. Upon activation, air lore gives a hasted swing, fire increases your AS (I think) on the next swing, earth gives an outright parry/block. Water I don't remember.

As far as someone posting this stuff for the rest of the playerbase, Con only ended two days ago. A lot of people are still travelling back home or are settling in from the trip. My plane back to Germany doesn't even leave until tomorrow.

Naos stated at the roundtable that he planned on posting the elemental lore preview for everyone to read. Since the guy isn't even home yet, stop being so demanding. Those who attended Con got a first glimpse of the review, it was one of the perks. Several people are posting what they remember, but some patience is in order. Give people a chance to get back home and back on schedule before you start complaining about lack of information.

The elemental lore overhaul is not coming out tomorrow, it's not a huge rush to read everything this instant.

-Mandy
Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/29/2009 06:12 PM CDT
But I must know everything now! 412 and 413 were also getting some love.

Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/29/2009 06:14 PM CDT
>It was 903 or 904 (I think 904) that will gain the ability to become minor steam with a minimum of 20(?) fire lore ranks. It would cost one additional mana point and would need to be channeled, resulting in three seconds of hard RT.

I would think 903 becoming minor steam with fire lore makes a lot more sense than acid and fire making steam...

-Richard.
Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/29/2009 06:18 PM CDT
903 is going to be steam, 904 is going to cast the major acid version in crystal wands I think... can't remember the additional mana on that and I think it requires channel with the 3 second hard RT.
Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/29/2009 07:44 PM CDT
Sounds cool. Any mention of familiar bonding or re-attunement?

Bacl surreptitiously wipes a stray crumb of chocolate cake from one corner of his mouth.

Opening his robe very slightly, Bacl lifts the rim of a champagne flute to his lips and takes a furtive sip.
Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/29/2009 07:50 PM CDT
>Sounds cool. Any mention of familiar bonding or re-attunement?

No news there.

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."
Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/30/2009 12:38 AM CDT
There was mention of the 10 new unique familiars available from Mist Harbor though.

Sagoth

http://www.playershops.com/sagoth
Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/30/2009 02:19 AM CDT
I for one am just glad to see some regular posting on the wizard forums after what seems like a bit of a dry spell. I's ways exciting when a change to the game seems like it may have gone from rsn tomaybe right around the corner.

"there is no solid status quo"
Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/30/2009 09:25 PM CDT
I was very excited myself to read all the new lore benefits that will be coming. One especially looked like an idea I had even suggested!

-Adam

"You guys took all the pretty places." ~Anonymous
Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/30/2009 11:36 PM CDT
I've only just gotten in tonight, which accounts for the lack of postings. Who posts on the boards while at SimuCon? Seriously?

I'll hopefully have the posts up for each spell circle in their appropriate topics for comments by the end of the week. Some of the questions raised at the round table discussion uncovered some need for clarification on a few points, so I want to make sure that's done before I post the details, if only to avoid the questions coming up again.

The overviews given by various peeps above cover the preview pretty well, though.

--
Naos

I'm immune to fire!
Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/30/2009 11:37 PM CDT
Oh, also, I'm nerfing Cone of Lightning! Lolololol!

--
Naos

I'm immune to fire!

(No, I'm not really. Yay, Wizard Banter!)
Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/30/2009 11:42 PM CDT
<< Any mention of familiar bonding or re-attunement? >>

You can pretty much bet on not hearing much about anything other than the lore review until it's done. It is pretty much getting all the attention I have to give to GS these days, which waxes and wanes with the tides (or something like that.)

--
Naos

I'm immune to fire!
Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/30/2009 11:46 PM CDT
>>Cone nerf

Excellent!

Re: Elemental Lore preview 06/30/2009 11:55 PM CDT
<< Naos stated at the roundtable that he planned on posting the elemental lore preview for everyone to read. Since the guy isn't even home yet, stop being so demanding. >>

Yesss! Defend meeee! (Man, I read the forums in such a bizarre order sometimes...)

--
Naos

I'm immune to fire!
Re: Elemental Lore preview 07/01/2009 03:12 PM CDT
>I'm immune to fire!

:(

I almost cried upon reading this.
I'll settle for major resistance.

-Mandy
Re: Elemental Lore preview 07/01/2009 04:03 PM CDT
Awwwwwww...

--
Naos

I'm immune to fire! (lolz)
Re: Elemental Lore preview 07/01/2009 05:53 PM CDT
Hey, I offered you fire resistance.

Re: Elemental Lore preview 07/03/2009 11:53 AM CDT
Stupid rangers and their fire resistance. If rangers can have it, fire mages should too! Only better!

-Mandy
Re: Elemental Lore preview 07/03/2009 08:12 PM CDT
Are the ice spells getting any love? I roleplay an Icemage is there anything that the Icemages can look forward to? Perhaps with enough water lore incanted 512 has a chance to hit more than one target, or maybe somthing flashy to 907! I feel like we're a bit out numbered by the firemages, give us some love!
Re: Elemental Lore preview 07/03/2009 08:49 PM CDT
If memory serves me correct, none of the ball spells were getting lore updates. Although, I could be wrong trying to remember exactly off the top of my head.

-Adam

"You guys took all the pretty places." ~Anonymous
Re: Elemental Lore preview 07/03/2009 09:29 PM CDT
I remember Naos saying that water lore will possibly lower temper times for enchants. He didn't say how many ranks it will take, though.

~Karen/Arlia