Guildmaster Arlia's player 01/13/2009 09:32 AM CST
Sorry for the OOC here, but...

Our first guildmaster (guildmistress, really), Arlia.... well, her player called today, having been in a serious car accident and being hospitalized for surgery relating to a broken leg. Prayers are accepted.

- Greysleeve
Re: Guildmaster Arlia's player 01/13/2009 09:36 AM CST
The forums are OOC... Best wishes to her, anyway.

- Me
EES Website: http://www.gsranger.net/
Foraging Galore: http://www.gsranger.net/guides/foraging/
PRO Resources: http://www.gsmeetinghalls.com/

Don't feed the troll, it only makes him worse.
Re: Guildmaster Arlia's player 01/13/2009 09:41 AM CST
Oh dear, I hope she is alright!

Zizzle

The Elementalist
Re: Guildmaster Arlia's player 01/13/2009 04:07 PM CST
Ditto :-(

- Nixxi (and the beau)
AIM: GS4 Islyia
Re: Guildmaster Arlia's player 01/13/2009 11:22 PM CST
Oh my God!

I've known Karen for years, I really hope that she is alright!

-some mage's hat

"Heroing is one of the shortest-lived professions there is."
Re: Guildmaster Arlia's player 01/14/2009 08:11 PM CST
Okay, she called again, so here's an update:

She had surgery last night, they put a titanium rod into one of her lower leg bones. Depending on pain situation, she should be released from the hospital either Thursday or Friday. She's at Fort Wayne Lutheran. Hopes to be back online within a day when she gets home.

She said to say thanks to all the folks who posted in response, here and over in the Solhaven folder.

- Grey
Re: Guildmaster Arlia's player 01/16/2009 03:21 PM CST
Thank you so much for the well-wishes and also, to Greysleeve for relaying information. I slid off the ice on Tuesday morning and landed in a ravine. Let's just say thinking what COULD have happened was as scary as seeing my lower right leg twisted in a way that it should NEVER be twisted. I broke both of the bones a few inches above my right ankle and had a rod inserted in the bigger one. I don't know why he didn't do both bones, other than saying that the bigger one will brace the other one together.

I was in good hands from the moment the EMTs responded, and even now. One of my family members was always with me, which made it a little easier, especially since I was in the hospital and in pain (thankfully not much except for the first couple of hours and some on Wednesday).

I'm grateful to be alive, home, and on the mend. I know it's going to be a long road, but I'm doing everything I'm supposed to including rested and having a lot of milk, cheese and calcium. I figure calcium can't hurt the bones. I also plan on doing whatever I'm supposed to when I start physical therapy. In the meantime, I plan on doing what I can to keep myself busy, as well as gaining upper body strength (which was pretty much non-existent).

~Karen/Arlia
Re: Guildmaster Arlia's player 01/16/2009 04:38 PM CST
"right leg twisted in a way that it should NEVER be twisted." -- Arlia

Three years ago (summer of 2006) my brother tried to make too tight a corner while roller-blading on the bike path near work (where I was house-sitting at the time) and took a header, breaking his right leg in what sounds exactly what happened to you.

Nothing freakier than seeing the EMTs checking to see if it was, in fact, broken: "Okay, let's lift up here..." and his thigh & knee & even half of his shin rise off the ground... but the lower shin & ankle & foot just sorta laid there. For onlookers, it was pretty cool. :)

"I broke both of the bones a few inches above my right ankle and had a rod inserted in the bigger one. I don't know why he didn't do both bones, other than saying that the bigger one will brace the other one together." -- ibid

Yep, that's exactly what they did to him. Titanium, even. (Oooooh, Aaaahhhh.) For the same reasoning. Basically, the skinny bone doesn't really do a whole hell of a lot, so all they do is brace the big one.
Re: Guildmaster Arlia's player 01/16/2009 08:42 PM CST
::hugs::

It is SO good to hear from you Karen! :D

Sue, Kelly, and I were VERY worried when the word got out to us. Take care of that leg and feel better!

-Chaz, Bypin's hat.

"Heroing is one of the shortest-lived professions there is."
Re: Guildmaster Arlia's player 01/17/2009 09:20 AM CST
The fibula is thin and bears little or no weight, so needs no rod.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."