517: Charge Item 12/23/2008 01:53 PM CST
I charged some gold wands today, outside of a node.
At about 20 charges I would get this message:

You gesture over the pulsating orb while holding a golden wand near it.
A strand of pure essence leaps from the orb and onto the wand!
You are unable to add any more charges.
Nothing else seems to happen.

At a workshop I can take them to 40 charges. I'm curious if I now take these wands to a workshop. Will I be able to add the last 20 charges?

What research has been done into this further than whats on krakiipedia? I have heard that the # of charges an item will hold now degrades with each charging session...dropping from 40 to useless? How often does this happen?

"I wish my lawn were emo so it would cut itself." -- as seen on a t-shirt >>
Re: 517: Charge Item 12/23/2008 03:27 PM CST
Earthdiver or Jinsem can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that the "maximum" amount of charges you can add to an item is dependent on the quality (value) of the gem used to make the recharging orb.

A cheap pearl won't let you put 40 charges into an item, for example. A firestone worth 10k, though, most likely will.

As to your other question, about degradation, who knows. The spell needs help.

-Sea Wizard

>target droit
You are now targeting Droit.
Re: 517: Charge Item 12/23/2008 03:42 PM CST
<<Earthdiver or Jinsem can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that the "maximum" amount of charges you can add to an item is dependent on the quality (value) of the gem used to make the recharging orb. - Rimalon

Wrong, only bearing gem has is the length the orb will remain.

Xatier

Richard the Mayor of a Little Village up the Coast "I'm a Bearlock now."

Ildran is da bomb diggity, btw. Just don't tell him I said that. ~ GM Emeradan
Re: 517: Charge Item 12/23/2008 04:34 PM CST
>>Wrong, only bearing gem has is the length the orb will remain.

>>Xatier

Using a 1.3k star ruby and the Wizard Guild enchanting workshop, I was only able to add 13 charges to a pre-emptied pawnshop bought silver wand.

It looks like it still works like it did before. This was the usual reason why we preferred expensive orb gems. The long orb time was just a bonus on top of that.
Re: 517: Charge Item 12/23/2008 04:57 PM CST
You should know by now, Xatier. I'm usually right. Remember the bet about Empaths, hmmmm? HMMMMM?

Anyway, further testing by Earthdiver and I...

31 charges in the same silver wand with a tiny white pearl orb that was worth about 3k.

Pretty substantial jump, there.

-Sea Wizard

>target droit
Re: 517: Charge Item 12/23/2008 06:08 PM CST
Well that's interesting... I've never seen something like that the few times I've bothered to use this spell anymore.

Plus, Naos posted years ago that you could be just as efficient with a low quality gem as exspensive and never found a difference myself except length of time the orb held.

Course I usually never used anything less than about 3k value anyways like pearls, since pearls seem to be above average for orb gems.

Not that I really care anyways either. Til the spell gets fixed recharging is absolutely useless... 420 works just as well and only takes an item to imbed to use.

Xatier

Richard the Mayor of a Little Village up the Coast "I'm a Bearlock now."

Ildran is da bomb diggity, btw. Just don't tell him I said that. ~ GM Emeradan
Re: 517: Charge Item 12/23/2008 07:22 PM CST
I don't think the spell needs a complete gutting.

What prevents the spell from seeing frequent and effective use is the (relatively high) chance of ruining a rechargeable item.

The most common "failure" (with well-trained and knowledgeable infusers) that occurs with scroll infusion is to lock a scroll. Big whoop. The scroll doesn't burn to ash. And scrolls, even "rare" ones, are a replaceable commodity.

517, ideally, should be balanced such that "failure" only includes things like the orb poofing, a complete mana drain, rank 3 nerve damage, or a complete drain of charges of the item. Make Charge Item a timesink instead of making it Catatrosphic Item Failure Roulette.

What should NEVER happen is "greening" an item, destroying an item, or max-capacity degradation. Pointless facets of a spell that stops the majority of the Wizard population from even trying the spell, due to the horror stories.

It's just sad, really.

-Sea Wizard

>target droit
Re: 517: Charge Item 12/23/2008 07:40 PM CST
I can't wait to see you green that Sneaking rechargable when we try it.

You got there too soon!
I cannot set up my things!
Go hide somewhere else!
By Liia.
Re: 517: Charge Item 12/23/2008 09:47 PM CST
I thought Naos' comment at the time was only directed towards the percentage chance of recharge failure.

Said differently, if you're gonna fail, a cheap gem isn't going to make you feel any worse, and you might want the coin to get drunk.

Doug
Re: 517: Charge Item 12/24/2008 05:46 AM CST
Another difference between 517 and 714 is that a sorcerer that is high level and optimally trained will almost never lock anything but the most difficult spells at the very highest charge levels. Whereas with Charge Item you simply cannot reach that level of skill as to work safely with "challenging" material.

"I hate to say it, but Evarin's right."

= - GM Oscuro - =

Cleric/Empath Team
Re: 517: Charge Item 12/24/2008 06:10 AM CST
Not to mention the relative lack of things to charge, versus scrolls.

People looking for rechargeables should check the Ta'Illistim tables, I can't be bothered schlepping around to find a bard and sell everything I can't use myself. I found a sweet ring the other day, with 307, that based on the jewelers price I suspect is rechargeable. When its empty, it's sold.

Failures aside, the spell is entirely too much of a pain in the ass for the non-wizard. Obviously, a fresh scroll is infuseable, with rare exceptions. Did they ever make it so you guys can cast 405 to tell if something is rechargeable? Cuz really, it's a pain in the ass for you too.

Another more fun, less tedium fail.

RheisIa's Witch

....and you will know her by the trail of limbs.
Re: 517: Charge Item 12/24/2008 07:36 AM CST
All treasure born magical objects should be able to be charged ONCE up to a cap of 40.

"I hate to say it, but Evarin's right."

= - GM Oscuro - =

Cleric/Empath Team