Wizard vs. Wizard 12/10/2014 07:12 PM CST
There hasn't been much activity in the wizard folder lately. Just thought I'd share something funny from my last hunt. The only monster in the game that I know of that uses 540 against us!

You gesture at a frostborne lich.
You hurl a powerful lightning bolt at a frostborne lich!
Major Shock
AS: +589 vs DS: +425 with AvD: +50 + d100 roll: +79 = +293
A hit!
--you blink as you realize that what you thought you saw didn't actually happen.
You hurl a powerful lightning bolt at a frostborne lich!
AS: +589 vs DS: +625 with AvD: +50 + d100 roll: +93 = +107
... and hit for 9 points of damage!
Light shock to left arm. That stings!
You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the frostborne lich's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens.
A sheen of ice forms a glossy rime over each of the frostborne lich's eyes as she grasps at the gnarled bone phylactery hanging around her neck and collapses to the floor.
The glowing specks of energy surrounding a frostborne lich suddenly shoot off in all directions, then quickly fade away.
The bright luminescence fades from around a frostborne lich.
A frostborne lich appears somehow different.
The brilliant luminescence fades from around a frostborne lich.
A frostborne lich glances around, looking a bit less confident.
A frostborne lich just arrived. Wait, wasn't she here already?
A frostborne lich becomes solid again.
You sense a sudden, sharp fluctuation in the temporal field surrounding a frostborne lich.
You feel the unnatural surge of necrotic power wane away.
[Spell re-prepared]
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

What are the chances you roll high enough to hit after a 540 proc, land 9 damage, and still get the kill?

~Taverkin
Re: Wizard vs. Wizard 12/11/2014 01:30 PM CST
This was from a post in the rogue folder; stormcrows are a critter in a temporary hunting area. (Idolone, I think). At the time, I replied to this post saying that it (the deja vu feeling) looked like a temporal reversal spell that failed. Was I right?

>>You attempt to blend with the surroundings, and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
HR>
[Roll result: 186 (open d100: 66) Bonus: 33]
You spring from hiding and deliver a blow to a silver-eyed krolvin stormcrow's head!
The krolvin stormcrow is paralyzed!

[You have 3 repetition(s) remaining.]
Roundtime: 5 sec.
R>
Roundtime: 3 sec.
You attempt to blend with the surroundings, and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
HR>
[Roll result: 226 (open d100: 181) Bonus: 63]
You spring from hiding and deliver a blow to a silver-eyed krolvin stormcrow's head!
The krolvin stormcrow is paralyzed!

[You have 2 repetition(s) remaining.]
Roundtime: 5 sec.
R>
You have an unpleasant sense of deja vu.<<

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Wizard vs. Wizard 12/11/2014 03:40 PM CST
I'm not sure. I know when 540 procs against maneuvers (CMAN, crawler burrows, etc.) it doesn't display the double-attack, you just receive a message after the fact indicating that 540 was the reason the maneuver missed. Perhaps this is the message you get when you're the attacker using a maneuver against a target with 540? It's difficult to tell from this log.

Either way, 540 sure is annoying when used against you on a hunt! I've had liches burn up multiple casts of major shock with repeated 540 procs!

~Taverkin
Re: Wizard vs. Wizard 12/11/2014 04:19 PM CST
>> I know when 540 procs against maneuvers (CMAN, crawler burrows, etc.) it doesn't display the double-attack, you just receive a message after the fact indicating that 540 was the reason the maneuver missed.<<

The OP included two subdue attacks in his post; he was doing Rogue Guild subdual reps. The deja vu feeling occurred only on the second rep. I am guessing that the critter had 540 running, that it didn't trigger at all on the first rep, and that it fired on the second but failed to protect the stormcrow, hence the deja vu feeling in the attacker. Temporal reversal greatly increases the DS of the mage casting it and forces the attacker to try again, but these guild skills don't care about physical DS, so it pretty much had to fail. Anyway, that's my theory until proven wrong by further examples or analysis.

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Wizard vs. Wizard 12/11/2014 08:07 PM CST
I don't believe that's accurate. It doesn't have to be AS/DS. It will cause CMAN and other maneuvers to fail, it just won't display the double attack like it does on AS. I see it happen all the time on bandits and they pretty much never land a successful CMAN when I see that message after the fact. Which tells me it has a similar effect: vastly increasing your chances of avoiding the attack. But it only works on physical-based attacks. No boil earth, ewave, etc. But CMAN, crawler burrow, AS/DS, etc.

Still don't know if that's what happened there. It does look like the second roll hit due to some open roll luck. So perhaps 540 proc'd, it raised the chance to avoid the CMAN, but the open roll caused it to land anyway? I dunno!

~Taverkin
Re: Wizard vs. Wizard 12/12/2014 02:40 AM CST
>> It does look like the second roll hit due to some open roll luck.<<

Also bear in mind that Guild combat skills differ from normal CMan skills. Regular Cman skills only go up to 50 ranks; the OP here is probably near mastery, which means he could easily have the equivalent of over 60 normal CMan ranks. This would have the effect of raising the success rate. Also, Guild subdual is not the same as subdual strike; I don't know if they both use similar resolution tables.

Re: Wizard vs. Wizard 12/31/2014 03:15 PM CST
Just like the bonus to DS when 540 procs, you get a bonus against combat maneuvers, pretty sure it is 100, so while it will save them against most rolls they can still get nailed with a lucky open roll.