Doot doot doot. 06/02/2011 02:13 PM CDT
Just making sure I can post. NOT THAT WE EVER, YOU KNOW, TALK ABOUT ANYTHING IN HERE.

Be good.

Cheers,

-Sea Wizard

>A green-eyed white cat belches, and a bolt of blue flame explodes into the air.
>Rimalon points at Kilthal. A puff of silver smoke envelops Kilthal. When the smoke clears, a frog is squatting in his place.
Re: Doot doot doot. 06/11/2011 01:19 AM CDT
Banter? Wizards? Bantering wizards! What a concept. Inconceivable!! They are much too serious and hard-working to BANTER!

Umm .. on second thought .. what could we banter about? I confess that I can't think of a single thing in wizardry as it stands in GS at the present time that is banter-able. Can you?
Re: Doot doot doot. 06/11/2011 11:43 AM CDT
I think we should be able to make more interesting fireworks via alchemy. Such as ones that burst into animal shapes.

-- Faulkil
Re: Doot doot doot. 06/13/2011 12:56 AM CDT

<I think we should be able to make more interesting fireworks via alchemy. Such as ones that burst into animal shapes.

-- Faulkil>

The alchemy master, of course, being able to produce a giant dragon shaped firework that swoops down upon all present in a menacing fashion, promptly causing all halflings that happen to be present to soil themselves and dive for cover.

*Gryffendil would enjoy that*
Re: Doot doot doot. 06/13/2011 01:03 AM CDT
I snarfled as I imagined Gryff's reaction to this.

-Naitalya
Re: Doot doot doot. 06/14/2011 09:22 AM CDT
I have a LOT of firework messaging for different designs and the like.

The main problem I ran into, conceptually, is how or why an alchemy formula would change to effect change in the resulting show of the firework. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Realistically, one would create the numerous little bits to cram into the firework that burn at various rates and in various colors and that would fly outward at the appropriate angles in the desired configuration to create the designs desired. (Also, in this case, some appropriate application of magic to make the designs "better" than real fireworks ever could be, e.g., a flying dragon with flapping wings or whatever.) That's a lot of involvement for something that is basically fluff.

That made me think that the design should, instead, be a few tiers of showy fireworks with different formula and have some process for after the base firework is created to specify the exact pattern. The lower tier ones would be simple one-shot/one-line messages with simple descriptions. The top tier ones could be more elaborate fireworks with multiple lines of messaging over time that build up to some awe-inspiring finish. I thought to maybe tie in rune ink and brushes, and have something be drawn on the firework to specify the pattern. This could work, conceptually, with some liberal application of "a wizard did it."

Sadly, since Alchemy devoured my very life force and left me but a husk of my former, awesome self, I never got around to working with any of this.

--
Naos :(
Re: Doot doot doot. 06/14/2011 10:14 PM CDT
Sadly, since Alchemy devoured my very life force and left me but a husk of my former, awesome self, I never got around to working with any of this.

I could acquire a batch of greater health-well potion and a greater spirit-regeneration crystal if that would help any...

Alchemy has been a lot of fun for me personally. It was a LOT of work mastering it and I can't even imagine the effort to develop it but I had so much fun I'm planning on doing it a second time. So for what its worth... thanks! I'll imagine a little bit of Naos going into every potion or trinket I make from now on.

Hmmm... if there was a signature NAOS firework... what would it be?

-- Robert
Re: Doot doot doot. 06/15/2011 12:18 AM CDT
>The main problem I ran into, conceptually, is how or why an alchemy formula would change to effect change in the resulting show of the firework. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

And yet, we can make fireworks via alchemy RIGHT NOW that arbitrarily display the INITIALS of the person lighting the firework. Same firework, same recipe--and yet the initials change from person to person.

IT'S MAGIC. NOT SCIENCE.

In conclusion, give us more fireworks.

-Sea Wizard

>A green-eyed white cat belches, and a bolt of blue flame explodes into the air.
>Rimalon points at Kilthal. A puff of silver smoke envelops Kilthal. When the smoke clears, a frog is squatting in his place.
Re: Doot doot doot. 06/15/2011 12:17 PM CDT
>> I could acquire a batch of greater health-well potion and a greater spirit-regeneration crystal if that would help any...

Every time an Alchemy formula is completed in GS, I wither a bit.

>> Hmmm... if there was a signature NAOS firework... what would it be?

Hmm...that's an interesting question. We can go with huge, flaming letters spelling "I AM FIRE IMMUNE HAHA" until I can think of something more appropriate.

>> IT'S MAGIC. NOT SCIENCE.
>> In conclusion, give us more fireworks.

While this is true, the idea of designing a different formula for each of some 70+ types of fireworks makes me physically ill, and did at the time. I would rather eat broken glass, then and now. I still like the idea of one to three formulas for tiered fancy fireworks and using rune inks and brushes to draw a quick sigil on the firework to specify what pattern to do. Maybe one day...along with the billion other things rattling around in my skull...

--
Naos, still typing recipe instead of formula...
Re: Doot doot doot. 06/15/2011 01:00 PM CDT
Speaking of alchemy, if not fireworks, are there any unique Wizard formulas in the long-advertised Phase 3?

As far as I know, lichbane talismans (Clerics) and 130 sickness removal (Empaths) were a part of it?

Whilst Wizards and Sorcerers have naught (so far).

-Sea Wizard

>A green-eyed white cat meows questioningly.

>A green-eyed white cat points at a spot just beyond your feet.
A burst of flames erupts from the ground and soon a furious fire begins consuming anything combustible there.
Re: Doot doot doot. 06/15/2011 02:20 PM CDT
>Every time an Alchemy formula is completed in GS, I wither a bit.

I would much rather wizards have something that is not related to soul sucking alchemy in any manner. Familiar bonding would be sweet.

>Hmm...that's an interesting question. We can go with huge, flaming letters spelling "I AM FIRE IMMUNE HAHA" until I can think of something more appropriate.

Grrr. I'll give you fire immune...and it won't be pretty!

Mandy
Re: Doot doot doot. 06/15/2011 04:36 PM CDT
>> Speaking of alchemy, if not fireworks, are there any unique Wizard formulas in the long-advertised Phase 3?

Alchemy isn't much my bag of marbles these days, so I am not the authority on what may or may not be coming, but I have not heard much about any Phase 3.

>> Grrr. I'll give you fire immune...and it won't be pretty!

I'm ALREADY fire immune. Sheesh. Could use a tank o' gas for my car, though!

--
Naos
Re: Doot doot doot. 06/15/2011 05:12 PM CDT
>Could use a tank o' gas for my car, though!

Still going with The Witcher 2. I'll include a tank of gas because I love Holly.

On topic with wizard banter, I didn't know there was going to be a Phase 3 of alchemy. How long has this been anticipated?

Mandy