What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/28/2017 08:47 AM CST
When we were sold the WPS stuff, we were also told that merchants offering these services would be pretty frequent. As far as I'm aware, we've only seen a few instances of this being offered outside of DR, and it was in pretty limited numbers.

What happened?

~ Methais
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/28/2017 09:05 AM CST
My expectation, based on the roll out, was that WPS would be about as common as the offering flares. So far, Felthrop hasn't added it to his regular offerings. I think Methias, we are missing the behind the scenes discussion about how best to monetize more frequent offerings.
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/28/2017 09:21 AM CST
>My expectation, based on the roll out, was that WPS would be about as common as the offering flares. So far, Felthrop hasn't added it to his regular offerings. I think Methias, we are missing the behind the scenes discussion about how best to monetize more frequent offerings.

Ah, the classic bait & switch.

Oh you, Simu.

https://i.imgur.com/ikrnfXa.gif

~ Methais
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/28/2017 10:35 AM CST
It was at Duskruin, with the roll-out event. It was at Ebon Gate, the very next event.
So they were at 100% presence, through the first two.

Is there even any GM interaction at the Summit this time? I thought it was all off-the-shelf (be it silvers or SimuCoins)...
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/28/2017 12:16 PM CST
There was also someone at the Festival of the Fallen, though I think they only spun once or twice for a limited number of people.

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/28/2017 01:02 PM CST
You need to tune to TownCrier! One of Newsby's headlines right now is about a WPS merchant in the Landing On Monday, Jan 1 at 6pm...

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
;tune towncrier

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
TownCrier News Dailies via Email: http://bit.ly/2ivAJfw
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/28/2017 02:54 PM CST
>It was at Duskruin, with the roll-out event. It was at Ebon Gate, the very next event.
>So they were at 100% presence, through the first two.

If I'm remembering right, it was presented to us as being about as commonly available as GALD services, and not just confined to pay events. I wanna say it was also implied that overall it would be available more often outside of pay events than at pay events.

Did I misread/misremember something? Or did Simu misdo something?

~ Methais
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/28/2017 03:25 PM CST
"Services Model

Moving to the above rescale allows W/P/S services to be offered more commonly at events, and even through automated NPCs. W/P/S offerings will be at most events, big or small, free or otherwise. Wandering merchants may also offer the service on occasion. While it is debuting at Duskruin as a bloodscrip service, it will be offered for silvers at most other venues. The system is built to replace the randomness of limited raffle wins and reward consistent progression." -- Zissu's announcement #65 on 26-Aug-2017, emphasis mine

I didn't see anything about "as common as GALD", just "more commonly" (to include automated NPCs) at events (and 'most' of those).
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/28/2017 03:27 PM CST
I'm with Methais on this one. I was just complaining about this on a Discord the other night. I was completely under the impression that this would be MUCH more regularly available to EVERYONE. That the limiting factor was the exponentiation of the cost when you go beyond a certain number of services in a 60 day window. Based on how this was presented to us, cost exponentiation was to be the limiter. It was supposed to be a common service. The way this has panned out has been anything but the way it described.

The fact the this service was limited to a handful of people via raffle at the last two places it was offered is complete crap, in my opinion. Anyone who was still in the 60 day window either (a) wouldn't have used an automated NPC to get more services anyway (because of the exponentiated cost), or (b) would have paid so many silvers to so so via the exponentiation that the reduction in silvers to the economy would have been worth it.

Count me in the highly disappointed category.
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/28/2017 03:33 PM CST

>The fact the this service was limited to a handful of people via raffle at the last two places it was offered is complete crap

that's a bit of an exaggeration. at EG there were 3 spins for 75 people total. It can definitely be improved, but points should be proven with facts.
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/28/2017 03:53 PM CST
>I didn't see anything about "as common as GALD", just "more commonly" (to include automated NPCs) at events (and 'most' of those).

Fair enough, I couldn't remember the exact wording, but I was still in the right ball park.

That said, have they really lived up to this so far?

>Moving to the above rescale allows W/P/S services to be offered more commonly at events, and even through automated NPCs. W/P/S offerings will be at most events, big or small, free or otherwise. Wandering merchants may also offer the service on occasion. While it is debuting at Duskruin as a bloodscrip service, it will be offered for silvers at most other venues. The system is built to replace the randomness of limited raffle wins and reward consistent progression." -- Zissu's announcement #65 on 26-Aug-2017, emphasis mine

Does WPS services being offered like 3 or so times since DR fall under "most events" big or small, free or otherwise?

Does doing 3 spins for 75 people at a pay event like EG "replace the randomness of limited raffle wins and reward consistent progression."?

~ Methais
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/28/2017 04:07 PM CST
"the highly disappointed category"

For
- a brand-new service,
- that markedly improved the mechanics involved (layer with flares? able to Enchant? both damage + crit, on the same piece?)
- and was unequivocally IMPOSSIBLE four months ago (last time we saw a weighter was...?),
- which has been present at every event during that time,
- spanning a HUGE in-game event (Ebon Gate) and its GM time suck,
- as well as THE busiest six weeks of the year for personal commitments (and their GM time suck), from Thanksgiving to New Years.

Runestaff gained the ability for Acuity flares on 10 Oct 2011; at low levels, they (and mana) were described as "common".
They JUST (13 Sep 2017) got updated to PremiumPoints.

Six years.

There's a little bit of an acclimation period to work through....
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/28/2017 05:02 PM CST
>Methais' posts

Yeah, all that.

DR has a high barrier for services and was limited to 25. Since then, we had FOTF with 5 services per spin offered for a very small group of people and EG with a hard maximum of 10 services for any person/item (except the big raffle win). Why put even put in a scaling price system if you hard cap the number of services anyone can reasonably run into.

Not to mention, all three events fell inside exactly the same window with nothing after it. There is no way to reset the timer outside of being selected, so the odds of the next two major offerings overlapping also seems high. One stated reason for 2 months over 1 was that you did not want people feeling they always had to try and get work done. The longer window is doing exactly that by making the cost for missing one so high. Every day after the close of the window without work makes the odds of the next two "big" chances overlapping higher. 6 major events a year, two month window, statistics alone suggest half of those will be less than 60 days apart (as they rarely start on the same day of the month).

At the very least it should just be a calendar setup of resetting every 2 months like clockwork or else give us some way to reset it. Heck, make a shop in town that lets you do 1 service on anything not in a service window. It wouldn't result in uber gear being made every day, and at least the darn window wouldn't be so insulting.

While I am good with the concept of WPS, the implementation to this point has not made me a fan. It has so far failed to live up to Wyrom's hype at simucon or even to the expectations it would be a fully realized system.

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from the hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook,
Is a mug of beer inside this Took.
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/28/2017 08:23 PM CST
>krakii stuff

What does any of that have to do with what I was saying?

~ Methais
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/28/2017 10:53 PM CST
>I didn't see anything about "as common as GALD", just "more commonly" (to include automated NPCs) at events (and 'most' of those).

>Fair enough, I couldn't remember the exact wording, but I was still in the right ball park.

It should be noted that "more common than before" (which was two or three times per year for maybe a dozen or two people in total) is a fair cry from "GALD" level (which can occur daily). And, yes, it is quite a bit more commonly available than it was, as I have approved it to occur for every single event that it has been requested for. These events have been Duskruin (automated), Festival of the Fallen, EG, and the New Year's Day event. I'd approve it for more too but, alas, it appears that you guys are going to have to lean on the CE merchant GMs to request it more often. Much like with the new merchant enchant unlock service from earlier this year, the GMs that put out the various services need a little bit of a push to start doing it a bit more regularly.

Coase
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/28/2017 11:05 PM CST
I can plan out consistent progression in regards to gaining experience for my character.

I cannot plan out consistent progression for adding wps to a weapon or armor because of the following:

-no expectation of when and where wps will be offered
-if wps is offered there is still having to deal with being picked randomly
-no npc available at all times to allow players to check the price of wps for an item and determine how much time needs to be devoted towards resource aquisition.

A huge aspect of gemstone is the ability to crunch numbers and plan out progression. I can spend a whole night tinkering away on spreadsheets and planning out training paths for characters. I can plan out my exp gain per hour and determine how long it will take to obtain a level.

My take from the wps changes was that I would be able to obtain it at anytime barring the ever increasing costs.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/28/2017 11:10 PM CST

>I'd approve it for more too but, alas, it appears that you guys are going to have to lean on the CE merchant GMs to request it more often.

/facepalm
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/28/2017 11:22 PM CST
Okay, yeah, we'll just blame the other GMs. We clearly don't understand how this works. So is Duskruin going to be the ONLY time the Automated NPC is available? Just say yes now, so we can all get over our disappointment, and correct our misunderstandings and move on.
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/29/2017 12:08 AM CST
>Okay, yeah, we'll just blame the other GMs.

Its not about blaming anyone. We had one one system of padding/weighting for over 20 years. Most of our GMs have been GMing for 5-10 years or more and have it solidly set in their mind. Events are also often planned in advance. It takes a bit of time and pushing to swap from one solidly entrenched system to a brand new one. Its is not "lies" that we're trying to make this more available (and we have), but we're also not at the end point of this system transition either.

>My take from the wps changes was that I would be able to obtain it at anytime barring the ever increasing costs.

That is not entirely what we have in mind, no. If you're expecting to be able to plan for 15.8 services per month to hit a goal value in exactly 40 months, then that is a level of precision that we are -not- aiming for. However, we are aiming for you to be able to make measurable progress with your item based on how much effort you put into attending merchants and quest events, which we do want to have consistently (but not constantly or permanently) available.

Coase
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/29/2017 12:13 AM CST
Thank you for the reply. That helps me understand your goals better.
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/29/2017 07:36 AM CST
>That is not entirely what we have in mind, no. If you're expecting to be able to plan for 15.8 services per month to hit a goal value in exactly 40 months, then that is a level of precision that we are -not- aiming for. However, we are aiming for you to be able to make measurable progress with your item based on how much effort you put into attending merchants and quest events, which we do want to have consistently (but not constantly or permanently) available.

Fair enough. Is there a plan yet to "replace the randomness of limited raffle wins and reward consistent progression." though? Because if I'm not mistaken, all WPS services offered so far have been random/luck based via spinners and whatnot, which is the opposite of "replace the randomness of limited raffle wins."

~ Methais
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/29/2017 11:26 AM CST
Besides the automated NPC at Duskruin, I think it's all been raffle/spinner.
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/29/2017 12:14 PM CST
And access to the automated NPC was via randomization.
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/29/2017 12:45 PM CST
We have been making strides to automate where we can. The most merchant-heavy events in the more recent times have been events like RtCF/CCF, but we had pretty heavy attendance limitations and time limits to produce services. And during other events, we also have pretty big restriction lists that have for the most part been lessened or removed. You can also build some pretty awesome equipment now with freeing up the slot that WPS took. Automation does have to come with caveats though. It's the nature of the beast. But if you look at where we are today from the game of 2007, we are offering so much more.

We already offered more in 2017 than we have in any previous year in recent history. We serviced 484 characters at August's Duskruin alone. Yes, it can be argued that it wasn't HCW for everyone, but that's a lot better than 20 to 30 people for the entire year of 2017 like every year prior. We'd never be able to do live merchanting to service those kind of numbers though. Live merchanting, while personable and interactive, is extremely limiting.

This was just launched in August of 2017, looking at the offerings, we really did offer it a whole lot. We have plans to offer it even more in 2018, both at events like Duskruin and world events. As Coase mentioned, if you were expecting to progress an item rapidly, that wasn't the intended route of the system. But it is to hit a lot more players more frequently. It's not aimed to just service the same group of items like we've seen over the last 5 years.

Wyrom, PM
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/29/2017 01:26 PM CST

I think the biggest mistake in terms of the service availability was not resetting the items that were done at Duskruin so that they could be serviced at EG. The only reason they could not be serviced for the most part was because the system was released too late, not because players were dilly dallying. Also not having a permanent item estimator available. You have it already coded, just put it out permanently.
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/29/2017 01:53 PM CST
Except that the items could be serviced...
...if the character wanted to plonk down the silvers.

There was no absolute bar, there.

Even assuming the blacksmith opened on Tuesday the 22nd of August as projected, the (normal) 60-day window would have taken until the 21st of October. EG Merchant week ended on Friday the 20 @ 9:00pm.
There is probably NO coincidence about that timing.

And anyone who got their invite on any day after the first time it was (supposed to have been) available, would have been even later than that. How many posts did we see about people finding their second or third over the course of a week, or not even getting their first until a handful of days later?
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/29/2017 02:07 PM CST
<EG Merchant week ended on Friday the 20 @ 9:00pm.
There is probably NO coincidence about that timing.
>

EG merchant week ended 10/27, but the last WPS service was 10/22 (50 that day in 2 sesssions).

https://gswiki.play.net/Ebon_Gate_2017/services

Regardless, I very much doubt WPS services for EG were scheduled to the day already in August (not the MO).
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/29/2017 02:07 PM CST
>There was no absolute bar, there.

>Krakii

That statement reminds me of a high school teacher I had who would make research papers due the next day but you could turn it in up to four weeks later for full credit, just so he could tell them it was 4 weeks overdue and you got a zero if you missed class on the actual due date.

You can say no absolute bar, but it rings awful hollow if you're talking about 100m silvers for at most 1 point and more often 1/10th of a point of padding. The system is designed to stop people from going past a certain rate by making the cost unattainable. That is a barring, even if it is not exactly the same point for every player.

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from the hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook,
Is a mug of beer inside this Took.
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/29/2017 02:38 PM CST
And yet there are people who DO have that many millions of silver, or casually pass around similar numbers.
Or can afford to pick it up through out-of-game means for what is--to them--a trivial amount of real-world cash.

Gee, look: No-one standing in the line! I'll take advantage and step right up to get work done...

(I'm not saying it would be me, because I'm pretty much always silvers-poor, but there are folks who couldn't care less about an expense measured in a mere 9 digits of silvers.)

Imagine if you will Bill Gates or Warren Buffet playing, and discovering that, hey, JohnQ's character over there has 'lebenty squillion million silver, that he's willing to sell for less than ten bucks each. (Or if that's too extreme: a successful attorney, or doctor, who come here to de-stress after a tough week; or someone who made a successful stock trade; or someone who bought BitCoin at the beginning of the year and cashed them all out at in early December at 1000% return [10x] (i.e. before they dropped >20% of value mid-month)...)
Do you seriously think someone like that would have a problem picking up several hundred million, simply because that's chump change for him at the moment?
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/29/2017 02:48 PM CST

>krakii rambling

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Hunting%20and%20Combat/Weighting%20and%20Padding/view/355

>The 60 day window is meant to coincide with the frequency of festivals. Having the window be 30 or 60 days was something we discussed. We didn't want people to feel like they 'missed the window' if they took a weekend trip and missed that month's festival or a traveling merchant, and 60 days makes sure you have multiple opportunities at that. That said, having everyone priced out of their service window during a major festival is not the intent either.
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/29/2017 02:55 PM CST
And I'm still espousing something weird (like a 53-day cycle), so that it shifts around through the month rather than pretty much always being "around the same week".

That said, not everyone would be priced out, even then. Only someone wanting work on a repeat item.
Start a NEW item, you're at base cost, every time.
(And, now you have two different windows that you can potentially use, depending on when services become available.)
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/29/2017 03:03 PM CST
>Start a NEW item, you're at base cost, every time.

Tired of having to grind 100k+ exp just to gain 1 level? Start a NEW character! Now it's only like 1k exp to level up!

Thanks Krakii!

~ Methais
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/29/2017 04:03 PM CST
<beam!>

I am loving it with my little Monk (even though he just passed 20th a little bit ago). It's like every headful of experience is multiple training points, as opposed to the older ones where it's multiple headsful per point.
But yeah, I liked it even more two months ago, where it was "every pulse" == a training point.

My point, though, was that if your weapon is still in the 60-day expensive period, work on your armor (and start a new window). Or your backup weapon (in case you are Disarmed, as I hear spellcasters complain about all the time) (and start a new window). Or pay the cash and suck it up.

That's three different options, none of which include "You Cannot Get Work Done" (which is what an absolute prohibition would be).

Eventually, people are going to have multiple items on multiple timers ("this one is at T3 Ensorcel while I wait on that Sorcerer, day 9 of temper #4 towards a 6x Enchant, day17 of a weighting session, <whatever new system happens>, while that item over THERE is...").
(And hell, the people who found multiple Smithy invites at Duskruin can already be in that 'eventually' category.)
Re: What happened to WPS services being offered frequently? 12/29/2017 04:10 PM CST

>Or pay the cash and suck it up.

or read what the GMs said about timing the 60 days with major events and maybe expect them to stick to their word...