Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/24/2017 09:10 AM CDT
There is a bonus based upon Constitution bonus, but the formula on the wiki is not correct. But even after accounting for that, you were just extremely unlucky. It's no different than rolling a 1 or 100 with a d100. It happens.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/24/2017 10:07 AM CDT

>There is a bonus based upon Constitution bonus, but the formula on the wiki is not correct.

this one?

Critical Rank = Truncate[ ( (Endroll - 100) * Damage Factor - Padding Points + Weapon Weighting ) / Critical Divisor ]

or what page? so it can be removed.
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/24/2017 12:54 PM CDT
I think Estild was referring to CON Bonus / 4 = 1 point of padding is erroneous, not the critical tier calculation

~Whirlin
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/24/2017 01:08 PM CDT
What I'm most concerned with is whether or not the padding stacks additively from all sources, or if there's a discount rate if you're stacking CON, Armor, and Spell effects.

If the CON bonus thing is wrong... that's cool, next time you do the test server I'll test it out to obscene proportions. Or you could tell me and save me like, forever.

~Whirlin
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/24/2017 01:10 PM CDT
I too would like to know what padding stacks true, or stacks partial. I believe I saw that 520 is supposed to stack true (flat adder) but I forget where. I'm curious if Sunfist Padding is the same.
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/24/2017 01:38 PM CDT
"padding stacks true" -- Archsenex

Naah, see, Stack Padding True is the 53rd level spell in a RoleMaster pure Arms list, and we're totally divorced from that nowadays....

<flee!>
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/27/2017 03:39 PM CDT

"But even after accounting for that, you were just extremely unlucky"

It seems like if he really had masterful crit padding, that shot would not just be unlucky, but impossible.
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/28/2017 11:04 PM CDT
Even masterful crit padding still has potential to randomize down to only 5 points of padding, that's always fun

It's currently unknown whether or not it's a straight roll of 5 to X with equal probabilities or all outcomes, or some sort of open/weighted rolling process.

With just +9 from 520 and the +10 from HCP on my leathers, even ignoring the CON bonus... I have masterful equivalent crit padding. It just comes down to nuances.

Again, assumptions in here are plentiful, some still requiring validation:
Padding stacks additive between Armor/Spells
Padding stacks additive between Armor/Spells/Stats
Padding Stacks additive between Armor/Spells/Stats/Sigils
There may be a 'discount rate' applied for high values derived from Armor/Spells/Stats/Sigils
The randomization occurs after the padding summation occurs (verified via the log), as opposed to per source
CON bonus gives some sort of padding (verified, but not quantified)

Claids do not receive any phantom DEX crit weighting.

Lots of stuff going on!

~Whirlin
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/30/2017 04:22 PM CDT

"Even masterful crit padding still has potential to randomize down to only 5 points of padding, that's always fun"

When was this stated?

As background, I know we are talking about CRIT padding, but damage padding historically added a flat amount (e.g., masterful damage padding always reduced by say 20, with the nuance that a hit could never do less than 1 total damage). However, when damage padding was changed to add a randomized amount between 6 and the historical flat value, there was an announcement to inform everyone. I thought I recall the announcement was specifically limited to damage padding, and it did not affect crit padding (no do I remember any subsequent announcement affecting crit padding).
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/30/2017 04:27 PM CDT

There was a post by Warden stating "though there are some conditions in which items with high padding ("exceptional" ASSESS rating or higher) will see a small decrease in benefit."

If you are saying that the masterful padding can randomize to provide only "somewhat" level on any given shot, thats not what I would call "small decrease in benefit".
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/30/2017 05:17 PM CDT
No less than 6 points (somewhat), and everything except padding / weighting already that or below are subject to it.

What Warden was referring to was the frequency distribution of occurrence.

Details at:

https://gswiki.play.net/Padding#Randomization:_Critical_.26_Damage_Padding

and

https://gswiki.play.net/Padding/saved_posts#Changes_to_Padding_and_Damage_Weighting_.281.29

Doug
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/30/2017 06:37 PM CDT

OK thanks for the links. Seems like I was remembering critical WEIGHTING, not critical padding, see here from your link:

"Critical weighting is handled differently than damage weighting and has not been changed with this implementation"

So in summary I guess critical padding is randomized. So I guess any result can be expected no matter how much padding (basically), so there is really nothing that can be gained from player review of a single hit.
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/30/2017 07:30 PM CDT
>>so there is really nothing that can be gained from player review of a single hit.

Yeah, I'd agree. It would take a lot of hits to see the swing in randomization. And I doubt a player could effectively map what the percentages work out to. . . though, who knows.

Doug
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/31/2017 07:35 AM CDT
>>nothing that can be gained from player review of a single hit.

That's ABSOLUTELY not true... multiple hits are really only needed if the attempt is to derive the distribution of padding results across the potential ranges. Single hits are sufficient to determine the upper/lower limits of a given equation, and this swing highlights an example of the lower boundary of padding randomization.

For the purposes of padding testing, all yo need to do is swing until you see an instance where a critical is abnormally high/low... Most of the time it's incredibly difficult to due to randomization post-crit tier calculation, so you end up throwing out 99% of your data. Trust me, I spent weeks working on consolidating phantom critical hit information by weapon type. It's all about finding the high/low marks.

~Whirlin
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/31/2017 07:41 AM CDT
>>No less than 6 points (somewhat), and everything except padding / weighting already that or below are subject to it.

Actually, this hit proves that the number is at most 5, not 6. A number within the Somewhat range was never specified.

~Whirlin
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/31/2017 08:45 AM CDT
>>Single hits are sufficient to determine the upper/lower limits of a given equation

Heh. Yep! If you are lucky enough to be looking at the one single hit that defines the limit. Me - I usually have to look at a slew of them, not single ones. Because, you know, random.

>>Actually, this hit proves that the number is at most 5

I was looking at that just now. I'm not sure, though, if the miscalculated CON bonus affects that. So much to do!

Doug
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/31/2017 08:55 AM CDT
Operationally, it's like Lore & MOC work with splashy ball-spells. The more padding you have (higher Lore additions) the more likely you are to get good results (higher level of padding/hit more guys) but some times you're just screwed (low result/low padding/hit fewer people).

Statistically, you're likely to see good results, on average, over the course of time. But every now and again you'll see the outlier, as happened here.
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/31/2017 09:02 AM CDT
>>Statistically, you're likely to see good results, on average, over the course of time. But every now and again you'll see the outlier, as happened here.

Yeah, except - no. This is one of those situations where a spell can do you in. :) I'll explain later. I'm still maffs (trying!!) on this.

Doug
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/31/2017 09:16 AM CDT
>>>>Actually, this hit proves that the number is at most 5

Ok, so I've tried to force this to 5, but I can't. Help?

Observable data:

Double Leather Armor
Claidhmore
End roll
crit location = abdomen
damage

Stated data

HCP
+9 padding for 520
CON Bonus
Claidhmore weighting
DF (.475)

Math:

29*.475 = 13.775 [rounded to 14]
14 -6 +40 = 48 [worst possible results for player, maximum crit weight result versus maximum padding randomization]
48 / 6 = 8 [crit rank observed is also 8, so again, worst possible result for player]
Rank 8 Abdomen crit is 60 damage

Sanity check 60+14 = 74 [matches observed damage]

So, a [14-5+40] scenario (presume crit padding randomizes to bottom of somewhat range] is possible, and yields the same result because of truncation. But I don't think this hit proves 'at most 5'. Am I missing something?

Doug
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/31/2017 09:18 AM CDT
Raw damage for criticals truncates. Blood Loss Rounds.

~Whirlin
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/31/2017 09:20 AM CDT
Come on... you JUST learned that as #3 in your Data gathering Pre-statement!

Tisk tisk! I'll learn you good.

~Whirlin
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/31/2017 09:21 AM CDT
Ahh, I see. Given that, yes - 6 becomes excluded.

I don't understand why the value would be truncated in one spot and rounded in another. Are we absolutely sure this is correct?

Gads, really throws my day into a tailspin. . . /mutter

Doug
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/31/2017 09:23 AM CDT
Yeah, but see. . . I have it down as blood rounds, DF is limited to three, and crit result truncates.

Not as blood truncates, then crit results truncate then, etc., etc.

;/

Doug
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 05/31/2017 05:07 PM CDT

Personally I think it helps to work backward from the rank. A rank 8 in double leather requires a minimum of 8*6 = 48 damage coming from raw or phantom damage. You know phantom damage for a claid is 40, you also know raw damage from subtracting the bonus damage from the total damage result.

So with the above values, 48-phantom damage - raw damage, the result is the effective padding you got on that hit. I thought I did the math and it was 5 or 6. So thats what all your crit padding from armor, spell, and CON randomized down to. I fail to see what can be gleaned from this though.
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 06/01/2017 11:54 AM CDT
>>Personally I think it helps to work backward from the rank. A rank 8 in double leather requires a minimum of 8*6 = 48 damage coming from raw or phantom damage. You know phantom damage for a claid is 40, you also know raw damage from subtracting the bonus damage from the total damage result.

>>So with the above values, 48-phantom damage - raw damage, the result is the effective padding you got on that hit. I thought I did the math and it was 5 or 6. So thats what all your crit padding from armor, spell, and CON randomized down to. I fail to see what can be gleaned from this though.

So... again... this does NOT work, as blood is rounded, crit is truncated (this has been extensively tested by both myself and Mark/Riltus), since there was a decimal remainder on the blood loss, the actual damage contributing to crit is 47, not 48. Which got randomized down by 5.

One assumption to test is DEX based phantom critical weighting with claids, which my testing found no evidence of such with multiple hundreds of swings analyzed, but there may be additional profession based variables in the phantom crit weighting realm.

So it proves that within the Somewhat threshold, 6 is not the minimum, and that rounding on critical padding is applied to all sources of critical padding post summation, rather than on a per contributor basis. Furthermore, Estild also confirmed that our DEX understanding is wrong.

~Whirlin
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 06/01/2017 03:21 PM CDT

"So it proves that within the Somewhat threshold, 6 is not the minimum, and that rounding on critical padding is applied to all sources of critical padding post summation, rather than on a per contributor basis"

Did you mean randomizing on critical padding? (the quote says "rounding" on critical padding, if "rounding" is intended I do not know to what you are referring).
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 06/01/2017 03:32 PM CDT

"hat I'm most concerned with is whether or not the padding stacks additively from all sources, or if there's a discount rate if you're stacking CON, Armor, and Spell effects."

I don't know how you got from this question, which wasn't answered, to each of the things you listed were proved by the single hit.
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 06/04/2017 10:04 AM CDT
Whirlin
Furthermore, Estild also confirmed that our DEX understanding is wrong.

CON.

So dark the con of man.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Critical Padding Stacking and Randomization 06/04/2017 10:57 AM CDT
That's ok, DEX probably is wrong too.

Doug