Wearing Double Chain and considering adding a greathelm = ? 01/18/2011 01:42 PM CST
I'm wearing some double chain armor. I'm wondering if I add this greathelm(covers head + neck) will it make my armor Augmented chain or will it push it up higher? I'm only wondering because if I added just a helm... or just a torc wouldn't it also take my armor up to augmented chain? Don't want to be undertrained for what I'm wearing. I have 50 ranks in armor right now but will continue training.

Player of
Relvar
Re: Wearing Double Chain and considering adding a greathelm = ? 01/18/2011 03:53 PM CST
Adding a helm will give you all the penalties and none of the benefits except head protection of chain hauberk.

~Paul
Re: Wearing Double Chain and considering adding a greathelm = ? 01/18/2011 04:44 PM CST
>>Adding a helm will give you all the penalties and none of the benefits except head protection of chain hauberk. --- ~Paul

I am having a great deal of difficulty myself with that concept. When does wearing armor accessories benefit more than it penalizes? Why do we have helms and gauntlets, etc. anyway, if they only penalize?
Re: Wearing Double Chain and considering adding a greathelm = ? 01/18/2011 05:02 PM CST
Armor accessories are only good if they're for RP purposes or they provide some benefit beyond just being armor. For example, a rogue might want flaring leg greaves for sweeping or gkicking. There's a gorget (neck armor) that casts Song of Mirrors. There are vambraces/bracers from the Erithian boat in Velathae that provide stat and skills bonuses to TWCers, hurlers, and brawlers. Otherwise, armor accessories are worse than body armor in pretty much every way.
Re: Wearing Double Chain and considering adding a greathelm = ? 01/18/2011 05:06 PM CST
Armor accessories made sense waaaaaay back when getting to level 20 was insane and you could add the armor pieces to your existing armor as you ever so slowly increased your armor use skill instead of buying a whole new set.

Today, accessories are retarded unless they're enhancive, even then, you still have to deal with the poorly implemented encumbrance system.

-- dantastic
Re: Wearing Double Chain and considering adding a greathelm = ? 01/18/2011 05:20 PM CST
Oh dear! Your answers, Dan and WYN, made me cringe. My main wears a helm, gauntlets and boots of rolaren as part of her RP. They are a matched set, much prized many years ago. She's also in plate with 148 armor ranks. Is she hurting herself a lot with the accessories, or can she keep her RP going?
Re: Wearing Double Chain and considering adding a greathelm = ? 01/18/2011 05:24 PM CST
>Oh dear! Your answers, Dan and WYN, made me cringe. My main wears a helm, gauntlets and boots of rolaren as part of her RP. They are a matched set, much prized many years ago. She's also in plate with 148 armor ranks. Is she hurting herself a lot with the accessories, or can she keep her RP going?

If your wearing full coverage AND they aren't padded/flared, then all you doing is adding encumbrance. Lighten them and your armor to the max.

Partial armors and accessories have places strategically. My rogue and warrior both wear MBP, self mana spells and very heavy crit padded. As they get more armor ranks, I have enhancive and padded accessories to augment their protections.

~Paul
Re: Wearing Double Chain and considering adding a greathelm = ? 01/18/2011 07:53 PM CST
A couple of extra pounds of weight to fit your RP isn't that big a sacrifice. Since you're already in full plate, you're not trying to bump up AsGs with tack on pieces.

My casters use those HCP helms from an event which saves me needing to spend like 30m trying to find some 7x-8x HCP doubles. (since I care most about headshots)

The Nalfein Kitten
Re: Wearing Double Chain and considering adding a greathelm = ? 01/18/2011 08:47 PM CST
Someone doesn't play a burghal gnome!

lol @ bgs

-- dantastic
Re: Wearing Double Chain and considering adding a greathelm = ? 01/19/2011 12:19 AM CST
So let me see if I have this straight .... If you want to be in better coverage but are poor you can boost it by using accessories and that cuts the price down for those of us who don't have 30 million silvers sitting around to buy the better armor? But if you can only wear hauberk, say, then adding a helm or something will bump you up into an armor category that you aren't trained for?

Which would also presumably mean you need to know what accessory actually boosts you. Is there an article or a chart on Krakiipedia that might make sense of all this? I find the armor charts with their round time adders and action penalties etc. highly confusing.

Also ... My main's boots are actually armor, not footwear, so am I correct in assuming that counts in the encumbrance thing if not the armor hindrance thing?
Re: Wearing Double Chain and considering adding a greathelm = ? 01/19/2011 03:55 AM CST
Everything you're wearing/carrying counts towards encumberance, so yes, the boots do count. But as was said before... provided you aren't playing one of the small races, wearing accessories when you're already in full armor isn't going to penalize you other than the encumberance. If you aren't too much of a packrat, the encumberance shouldn't bother you.

My character wears leg greaves, vambraces and a helm, all over full plate I accept the small amount of added weight because they're all nicely enhancive.
Re: Wearing Double Chain and considering adding a greathelm = ? 01/19/2011 05:08 AM CST
>So let me see if I have this straight .... If you want to be in better coverage but are poor you can boost it by using accessories and that cuts the price down for those of us who don't have 30 million silvers sitting around to buy the better armor?

Kind of.

>But if you can only wear hauberk, say, then adding a helm or something will bump you up into an armor category that you aren't trained for?

Not exactly. Keep reading.

>Which would also presumably mean you need to know what accessory actually boosts you. Is there an article or a chart on Krakiipedia that might make sense of all this? I find the armor charts with their round time adders and action penalties etc. highly confusing.

Yeah, there are several. The most straightforward one to start with is actually in the "Art of the Bow" article; go figure:

http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_the_Bow_%28guide%29#Armor_Crit_Divisors

Note the "AG Name" column and the "Coverage" column. (The letters in the Coverage column stand for Torso, Arms, Legs and Head). You'll see that in any give armor group, each successive sub-group covers more of the body. When you are wearing a base armor and add an accessory to a body part that is not covered by your base armor, then all of your armor hindrance (spell hindrance, maneuver penalty, roundtime adder) are bumped up to that of the lowest armor sub-group in your base armor's group that covers the location where your accessory is worn.

Examples: You are wearing a leather breastplate (armor group scale, sub-group 9, covers the torso only). If you add arm greaves to this, you will be hindered as if you are wearing curibouilli leather, as it is the lowest scale armor sub-group that covers the arms. If you are wearing augmented chain (chain, sub-group 15, covers torso, arms, and legs) and add some leg greaves, your armor hindrance will not change at all (you'll merely gain the added weight of the leg greaves) because your current base armor already covers the legs. Back to the leather breastplate, but this time you put on a helmet. Now your armor hindrance will jump all the way up to that of brig (sub-group 12), because that's the lowest scale sub-group with head coverage.

If all you're concerned about are the physical (i.e., non-spellcasting) penalties of a given armor sub-group, then take a look at the "RT" column of this chart:

http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Armor

Multiply the value in that column by 20; that is how much Armor Use Skill is required to minimize the physical penalties of a given armor sub-group.

Now, as for the benefits of armor accessories: Adding armor accessories to uncovered locations raises the crit divisor in those locations to that of the base armor (for the arithmetic phobic: it protects those areas slightly better). It does not change your AvD or CvA. Adding unspiffy armor accessories to already covered locations gains you nothing. Adding spiked, flaring, padded, etc. accessories anywhere allows you to gain the spiffy benefits of that particular accessory in that particular body location (e.g., wearing a flaring helm allows for the chance of an armor flare on a headbutt). These do not always stack or add in completely perfect ways if your base armor already is spiffy in some way.

-Dan
Re: Wearing Double Chain and considering adding a greathelm = ? 01/19/2011 01:56 PM CST
Thank you so much, Dan, that was very helpful. Funnily enough I already had Nuadjha's Art of the Bow. I just hadn't thought to look at the info for anyone other than an archer, and even then wasn't sure about the armor stuff. I also had the Armor Use doc from Krakiipedia, but not the Armor doc. Now I have both, and things make a little more sense.

Many years ago my characters lived and died by two fabulous documents: Amerlise Vinsaile's Armor stuff, and Commandant's Guide for Warriors. Things have changed a trifle since then....

Thanks to all for the help you have given this slightly elderly, befuddled soul-behind-many.