Bola 03/30/2015 01:18 AM CDT
Did something change recently with bola's? They used to swing as a flail but no long seem to do so. Was anything announced in the past week?

Thanks.
Re: Bola 03/30/2015 08:56 PM CDT
Yeah, they swing one-handed now and can be swung while holding a shield. Which is neat. I actually got real excited for a second until I tried swinging one with a second weapon and no dice. Still can't swing an off-hand weapon with a bola or swing a bola as an off-hand weapon. You can still TWC hurl them with something else, but that doesn't mean anything since you can TWC hurl two of anything because hurling throws whatever is in your hands no matter what. They also hit about as awfully as they do when thrown, now, so... oh well.

Is a shame, really. It was a fun little exploit (and yes, I'll call it that) for those of us trained in multiple weapon types to take a vanilla and universally despised weapon and making it awesome.

To those curious, I was using a rather nice bola with undead bane and entangle flares to rather fine effect due to the following:

2x Thrown to be able to hurl it, which I never did, because throwing a bola is just awful. There is never a reason to do it, but needed Thrown training for generating DS while holding it.
2x Two-Handed Weapons to be able to swing it, and it swung like a flail. Woo!

But this was the caveat, since it is 'technically' a One-Handed Weapon as far as DS calculations go, your DS tanked because you were expected to be holding a shield or another weapon with it... so...

2x TWC except you can't be holding another weapon or you can't swing it. You can hurl it, but you can't swing it, so you need...
2x Brawling and throw on some 4x wearable brawling gloves and boom, all those TWC ranks immediately kick in and start giving you DS when you're not holding a weapon in the off-hand.

So there you have it, I was training in 4 weapon types just to be able to swing my bola like a flail that granted all of two advantages over a traditional flail. Accuracy of a bola and the mstrike recovery of a bola. Made for a happy panda.

Yeah. It was an exploit and yeah, no one except post-cap goons like me are going to be able to train in all those weapon types, but still... good job catching that bug and fixing it.

It was a good run.

.jaired
>LIKE A SAD PANDA
Please rephrase that command.
Re: Bola 03/31/2015 12:56 AM CDT
>Did something change recently with bola's? They used to swing as a flail but no long seem to do so. Was anything announced in the past week?

>Thanks. -- MYDDFAI

Yes, something changed. Not sure when. Three of the throwing weapons (bola, quoit and discus) have new melee damage tables. I'm also not sure why they have 5 sec RTs.

Thrown WeaponMelee ProfileMelee SkillMelee RTFormer Melee Profile
BolaBlackjackBrawling5 secFlail
QuoitJackbladeBrawling5 secHandaxe
DiscusJackbladeBrawling5 secCudgel
DartDaggerEdged4 secN/A
Throwing NetLeather WhipBlunt5 secN/A
JavelinSpear (1 hand)Polearm4 secN/A

Mark
Re: Bola 03/31/2015 05:52 AM CDT
Let's hope this is the precursor to them being made better when actually thrown.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Brinret says, "Bring it on."
A bolt of lightning streaks down from the sky and strikes Brinret!
... 16428101 points of damage!
Powerful blast reduces Brinret to a smoldering pile of ash!
Re: Bola 03/31/2015 08:41 PM CDT
Interesting stuff, but since a bola is now considered a blackjack when used in melee, could we get it to work properly with TWC when swung?

It'd make me soooooo happy.

.jaired
>LIKE A BOSS
Please rephrase that command.