Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 01/31/2015 10:25 AM CST
Can't the Magical hindrance for ASG-8 (double leathers) and below just go away for all spell circles?
I know the hindrance is still low, but why can't every profession have full body protection without fear of spell failure?
Anyways just a thought.
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 01/31/2015 11:24 AM CST
>>why can't every profession have full body protection without fear of spell failure?

Are you interested in the answer to this question from a game design perspective? Or was it intended to be more rhetorical in nature?

I sometimes have trouble distinguishing between the avid interest of understanding and the shut up and do it my way attitude on the boards. . .

Doug
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 01/31/2015 03:00 PM CST
this could be an interesting discussion. looking at it from an ability aspect, there is no reason some code could not be changed to allow this. However, in doing so you would be opening up a big can of worms on many aspects. Balance is one of them. Magic users are designed to not be able to wear heavier armors as they become very powerful as they mature, simply put, there is no reason for a magic user to need to wear heavier armors as their spells eventually provide adaquate defense and offensive powers. If a spell caster wishes to use heavier armors it is only fit that they receive a chance at spell failure otherwise they would be way too uber.

The second issue, which is one near and dear to my heart as a spell caster, is the societal norms as well as perceptions that have generated throughout the years. For example, in the beginning days of D&D this rule was established and has since become the norm for roleplay games. I could not conceptualize my cleric wearing heavy armor because it just does not seem right.

The third and last issue in my opinion is the why bother aspect. By this I mean if spell casters can wear any armor they wished with no chance of spell failure....why not allow warriors, rogues, heck, everyone easily train to use spells? Thus eliminating the class system all together. It would eliminate the class system because once that happens, than everyone will want to be able to bless, lockpick, berserk, heal others ect.

Just my two cents

~Rayna, cleric of Oleani and Ta'Vaalor
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 01/31/2015 09:01 PM CST
this could be an interesting discussion. looking at it from an ability aspect, there is no reason some code could not be changed to allow this. However, in doing so you would be opening up a big can of worms on many aspects. Balance is one of them. Magic users are designed to not be able to wear heavier armors as they become very powerful as they mature, simply put, there is no reason for a magic user to need to wear heavier armors as their spells eventually provide adaquate defense and offensive powers. If a spell caster wishes to use heavier armors it is only fit that they receive a chance at spell failure otherwise they would be way too uber.

The second issue, which is one near and dear to my heart as a spell caster, is the societal norms as well as perceptions that have generated throughout the years. For example, in the beginning days of D&D this rule was established and has since become the norm for roleplay games. I could not conceptualize my cleric wearing heavy armor because it just does not seem right.

The third and last issue in my opinion is the why bother aspect. By this I mean if spell casters can wear any armor they wished with no chance of spell failure....why not allow warriors, rogues, heck, everyone easily train to use spells? Thus eliminating the class system all together. It would eliminate the class system because once that happens, than everyone will want to be able to bless, lockpick, berserk, heal others ect.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To clarify a bit more.
I am speaking purely for the lighter armors meaning double leathers and below. Clerics and Empaths can already wear those without any hindrance, but wizards, sorcerers, bards and monks are another matter. Of course the heavier armors should have spell hindrance. I see it as if anything it would bring the game more in balance considering Clerics and Empaths have the potential to have higher DS than a Wizard or Sorcerer and yet they have access to hindrance free double leathers. I just fail to see how removing the small hindrance in place on double and reinforced armors for those who use mental and elemental spheres of magic would unbalance the game in any way.
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 01/31/2015 09:16 PM CST

I see where the OP is coming from. I'm not sure why, exactly, a wizard's spells should be more prone to armor failure than an empath's. I'm not arguing for casters in plate, but as someone who can't stand hindrance, I would love to be able to wear doubles (and the helms/aventails/greaves that allows).
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 01/31/2015 10:01 PM CST
Well, wizards have more destructive power than clerics or empaths so they need to be more vulnerable for balance ... oh wait, that's not true anymore. Never mind ...

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/01/2015 02:21 AM CST
The roots of the justification for variance between the professions is the circle of magic to which they belong.

The elements are harder to draw upon through materials other than robes. The spirits answer pleas or prayers, and are not subject to the same difficulties, although encasing oneself in metal does start to inhibit the channeling of power. Mental powers come wholly from within, but when the mind is so occupied it becomes increasingly difficult to deal with physical distractions.

The values themselves are the 'balance' referred to above. The reason for the 'variance' is based on the method of managing the power itself.

As to whether or not doubles should give hindrance to any class, it's an interesting debate. Hindrance has to start somewhere, and 'encasing oneself without regard to the material seems a reasonable place to start.

Doug
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/01/2015 03:06 AM CST
<<The elements are harder to draw upon through materials other than robes. The spirits answer pleas or prayers, and are not subject to the same difficulties, although encasing oneself in metal does start to inhibit the channeling of power. Mental powers come wholly from within, but when the mind is so occupied it becomes increasingly difficult to deal with physical distractions.>>

This reasoning would seem to suggest that clerics and empaths should be able to go all the way up to brig with no hindrance.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/01/2015 06:15 AM CST

>This reasoning would seem to suggest that clerics and empaths should be able to go all the way up to brig with no hindrance.

Metal scales appear on armor at AsG 9. Metal isn't the structural material till chain but its part of scale class armor.
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/02/2015 05:16 AM CST
An alternate answer, which is quite without insight I admit, is just because that's how it's always been. There's not a small amount of light, full, and reinforced leathers out there which would plummet in value if this was changed.

I basically agree with the idea that all the pures could be in the same type of armor under a fair system. Then again, you can imagine about how much I care since my main character is still in robes.

>Kayse scrambles to avoid being sucked into the void!
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/02/2015 11:05 AM CST

>>I basically agree with the idea that all the pures could be in the same type of armor under a fair system. Then again, you can imagine about how much I care since my main character is still in robes.<<

Maybe an alternative would be to allow those with mental, elemental and hybrid spell circles to fully train off hindrance for everything up to double leathers, that way if people want to do it, it would cost them extra TPs as a trade off..
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/02/2015 11:08 AM CST
>>Maybe an alternative would be to allow those with mental, elemental and hybrid spell circles to fully train off hindrance for everything up to double leathers, that way if people want to do it, it would cost them extra TPs as a trade off..

This is no different than just removing the hindrance.

What I want to know is why. Why is removing hindrance a discussion / priority?

Doug
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/02/2015 07:27 PM CST

>>>What I want to know is why. Why is removing hindrance a discussion / priority?

Because it stinks for those of us who'd like to wear greaves/helmets/etc and not have hindrance? If there's no good reason why some casters are being discriminated against, then even the field? If there's some balance thing that I'm not taking into consideration, I'm all ears, but it seems like an arbitrary decision.

Or make the paladin anti-hindrance armor thing work better on other casters maybe? Paladins could certainly use more utility, and a competitor for armor support wouldn't be terrible for the game.
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/02/2015 07:43 PM CST
Thanks.

It does stink. This is intended to be a decision with consequences. Heavier armors or completing partial armors affect all professions to a greater degree than lighter armors, not just spell casters. Deciding to get the benefits of heavier armors comes with the trade-offs that such a decision requires.

Doing away with spell hindrance essentially negates any need to deal with consequences. There's no 'discrimination'. But a free ride? I'm not thinking that's much better.

IF we support the concept that our decisions should have consequences (by the way, this is one of the game's differentiators) - what would it make sense to offer in place of spell hindrance? Something that could be traded away as a 'replacement' consequence.

Doug
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/02/2015 08:08 PM CST

You are extrapolating doubles to plate again? Talk about straw-man arguments. I'm just asking if there's a good reason for elementals to be second class citizens in regards to hindrance. All we're asking for is for doubles to have a TRAINABLE minimum of 0% hindrance. The trade-off would be the TPs cost, obviously.

When this was initially designed there were no enhancive greaves and possibly not even crit-padded ones (I'm not sure when that started tbh). But these qualities have increased the penalty on elemental users disproportionately.

Btw those consequences you describe for non-casters... casters get those penalties as well. (ie: maneuver penalties to dodging boils, etc)

Is doubles for empaths a "free-ride"?
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/02/2015 08:19 PM CST
>>You are extrapolating doubles to plate again? Talk about straw-man arguments. I'm just asking if there's a good reason for elementals to be second class citizens in regards to hindrance. All we're asking for is for doubles to have a TRAINABLE minimum of 0% hindrance. The trade-off would be the TPs cost, obviously.

Um, I am? No - I'd say that the extrapolation is happening elsewhere. I'm not talking about plate at all. I did talk about heavier armors.

>>When this was initially designed there were no enhancive greaves and possibly not even crit-padded ones (I'm not sure when that started tbh). But these qualities have increased the penalty on elemental users disproportionately.

No, the decision to wear them results in the penalty - and it's no more disproportionate than it is for any spell user who has been wearing full AG based armors. This is called consequence - often mis-termed 'inconvenience' by those who don't understand 'why' something happens.

>>Btw those consequences you describe for non-casters... casters get those penalties as well. (ie: maneuver penalties to dodging boils, etc)

This is quite nearly correct - and I would really enjoy hearing discussion about over-training in armor for spell-casters as well. I'm not exactly sure I'd focus on hindrance out of the gate, though. And don't you just hate that elven spell casters can't even get into their preferred armor - chain? What's up with that?!

>>Is doubles for empaths a "free-ride"?

Better question would be is the spirit circle a free ride, don't you think? In either case, the answer's no because spirit spells can't hold a candle to elemental spells. AmIRite?!

Or, is this back to the - my convenience my way - argument style that is pervading the boards of late? Because if that's all we're headed towards, that is as reasonable in this genre as magic is. No logic to it.

Doug
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/02/2015 11:15 PM CST

First off it isn't a priority, it's just starting a conversation to get the ball rolling on something that has needed to be done in general for awhile now which is an Armor Review.
No it isn't just hindrance that needs to be reviewed I agree manuever penalties should be reviewed as well but the hindrance on Elemental, Mental, and hybrid sphere circles seem to be the most obvious things that need reviewed.

>>Better question would be is the spirit circle a free ride, don't you think? In either case, the answer's no because spirit spells can't hold a candle to elemental spells. AmIRite?!<<

You are most definately wrong about this, have you played a Cleric or Empath lately? Or even a Paladin vs Bard? Try it then come back and say this.

Why does it feel like this thread is getting trolled...
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/02/2015 11:16 PM CST

>>>Better question would be is the spirit circle a free ride, don't you think? In either case, the answer's no because spirit spells can't hold a candle to elemental spells. AmIRite?!

Are you right? If that is a balancing factor used in the spells, that would be an answer I would accept! Better that than "that's the way it's been, so too bad". (Btw when I left during gs3, wizards could wear doubles)

If rogues were getting extra maneuver penalties compared to warriors, wearing the same armor with the same training, I'm sure they'd also wonder why.

A wizard currently needs 15 ranks in Armor Use to get hindrance DOWN to 4%. Vs the spirit-users that can train to 8 ranks and stop there. I'm just saying there should be an OPTION to keep training to get that hindrance down, I don't think it's beyond the realm of reasonableness.

>>>>No, the decision to wear them results in the penalty - and it's no more disproportionate than it is for any spell user who has been wearing full AG based armors. This is called consequence - often mis-termed 'inconvenience' by those who don't understand 'why' something happens.

If, tomorrow, all helmets were given +20 crit padding. You don't understand how that changes the balance between a class that has no penalty to wearing them an one that does?
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/03/2015 12:46 AM CST
>Because it stinks for those of us who'd like to wear greaves/helmets/etc and not have hindrance? If there's no good reason why some casters are being discriminated against, then even the field? If there's some balance thing that I'm not taking into consideration, I'm all ears, but it seems like an arbitrary decision.

Robes and Iron Skin, FTW.

Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/03/2015 12:47 AM CST
>>Why does it feel like this thread is getting trolled...

Perhaps because there's no acknowledgement of the position, nor any attempt to answer serious questions? I'd call that a facet of trolling - a much more significant one than simply calling it out first, or falling back to failed high school debate logic terms. Of course, YMWV.

>>You are most definately wrong about this, have you played a Cleric or Empath lately?

Um, yes and yes? Lately and for many a year.

>>Or even a Paladin vs Bard?

Um, no and yes? Lately and for many a year. No paladin, though - in case that gets overlooked in the rush. I am working on a couple rangers - if that can qualify?

>>Try it then come back and say this.

Try it? And then 'come back'? Dismissive much, AmIRite?

As the 'AmIRite' should indicate, my point was slightly tongue in cheek (both times). But each remains no less a point, for all its failed humor. (Both times.)

>>If that is a balancing factor used in the spells, that would be an answer I would accept!

Without going to far afield, I think this is the case. But it's the case because of a number of tied-together facets of the game. For a very limited view, highest damage factor for a weapon? What's its speed? Can it be trained down to 'zero'? How about bolt? Which magic sphere has the highest general damage factor for bolt spells? Which magic sphere has the less powerful bolt spells? What is bolt / spell speed? Should it be trained down to 'zero'? What other limitations exist to help level damage factors?

In other words, I feel it is a significant mistake to play a cleric, then play a wizard (or, as in my case vice versa) and then say "wow! Wizards have it a lot harder than clerics in casting spells in double leather!" without recognizing all the ways wizards have it much better than clerics. And even then, for game balance (not character convenience), you can't change willy-nilly without considering warriors (who do cast spells), rogues, etc.

In fact, there's two things I don't think fit here in these lands - game design by player convenience, and game design by player committee. So why am I asking my serious question (and expecting an answer)? Because I don't pretend to know everything - and so I watch for new ideas to shape my thinking. So far, not one answer to the serious question.

>>(Btw when I left during gs3, wizards could wear doubles)

And plate (and chain! Dammit!) Spell rolls were resolved totally differently, then - and heavier armors did cause some penalties, but were not resolved like today. Believe me - it's a good thing that we don't have wizards rolling around in plate (or chain, unless they're elves, dammit!)

I'm very confused about what the crit padded helmet point is, here, so I'm going to pass on it unless you can amplify it a bit.

>>A wizard currently needs 15 ranks in Armor Use to get hindrance DOWN to 4%. Vs the spirit-users that can train to 8 ranks and stop there. I'm just saying there should be an OPTION to keep training to get that hindrance down, I don't think it's beyond the realm of reasonableness.

I don't think it's beyond the realm of reasonableness either. What I'm trying to say is that's not consequence - that's training. What consequence could replace it? This entire game is based on giving players myriad choices to make, with pros and cons. And where we are today, the choice of deferring a skill rank until 10 or 20 levels later is no consequence at all. Ultimately, those skills come.

So I ask the really serious question - if each profession is supposed to have some difficult choices to make, and for the wizard one of those choices is protection versus efficiently casting spells - what would we offer as an offsetting consequence? What would take the place of 'efficiently casting spells' above?

The 'honoring of the game's past' -- the way things used ta was done -- from my view has nothing to do with hindrance and everything to do with consequence.

And in the time honored tradition of the lands, I'm simply asking what would be slotted to exchange the consequence of hindrance?

Because just dropping it ain't.

Doug

P.S. The serious question that isn't getting acknowledged is -- what consequence would replace the consequence of hindrance?

P.P.S. The time-honored answer to this query is generally 'don't like the hindrance, play a spirit caster' (choice / consequence) - but you'll note I'm not offering that as a reply, because I truly want to see what we can come up with as a replacement consequence. Also, because if you're a moderately long-lived player, you'll already have a spirit user or two that you're working on - which makes it pointless to suggest someone 'try a profession' as a recourse.
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/03/2015 12:49 AM CST
>>Robes and Iron Skin

Iron Skin is definitely a kicking spell. I'm watching for those uber level robes to start being built - have a few sets myself just for that reason.

Really dislike the fact that wizards can only just get to brig class, though. Elven chain, dammit!

Doug
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/03/2015 01:09 AM CST
>Or make the paladin anti-hindrance armor thing work better on other casters maybe? Paladins could certainly use more utility, and a competitor for armor support wouldn't be terrible for the game.

>>Better question would be is the spirit circle a free ride, don't you think? In either case, the answer's no because spirit spells can't hold a candle to elemental spells. AmIRite?!<<

>You are most definately wrong about this, have you played a Cleric or Empath lately? Or even a Paladin vs Bard? Try it then come back and say this.

Figured I'd at least get in here as a serious paladin player. You don't want to bring Paladins into this discussion. They are a class explicitly designed to cast well in heavy armor; that's a class-specific feature they were designed with. If you go that route, you'll get immediately shot down.

But um, Paladins really have basically one powerful spell (you can call 1615 and 1630 two different spells if you really want to), and it's mostly a setup spell that sometimes gets a death crit. There are a couple other Paladin warding spells, but exactly none of those other ones have any chance to kill anything.

Don't get me wrong. The Paladin Base is a great circle, and I like it. I'll freely admit this isn't exactly a spirit vs. non-spirit case, but um...it is also not the case that you want to mention the word "paladin" again in this thread, IMO.

Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/03/2015 06:05 AM CST
>Iron Skin is definitely a kicking spell. I'm watching for those uber level robes to start being built - have a few sets myself just for that reason.

Its a punching spell. Its also rubbish for high level hunting because robes plus Ironskin means you get slaughtered by manoevers like the crawler spawn. So unless your uber robes have massive resistance against both slash and puncture, forget them. I've been instantly killed by every crawler spawn without slash fittings and survived every spawn with them. Fittings aren't available on robes. Some situations treated Ironskin plus rubes as untrained armor of the Ironskin AsG and I'm not convinced all those bugs have been squished.

>I'm very confused about what the crit padded helmet point is, here, so I'm going to pass on it unless you can amplify it a bit.

If a trade if is balanced at one point in time, and then one side is given a hefty boost, it ceases to be balanced. Monks were decently balanced three years ago in the test server, but in the actual game today they are rubbish.

When something new is added into the game, such as mass use of enhancives, classes that don't get to use as many, like wizards or sorcerers (or monks) are liable to get pissed off about it. When squares in general get an extra 2-300 Cman points to play with, those that don't, like monks, are liable to get pissed off about it. When your class is designed to take a 75% (i.e. from 100 down to 25) experience penalty for grouping with others, when your class is designed out of a critical item for newly built capped hunting grounds, you are liable to get pissed off about it.

A generally available crit padded helm that could be used by every other class without penalty, but which would inflict a penalty on bards wizards and sorcerers if they used it, isn't in the same league as what has happened to monks over the past three years, but its the same sort of thing. Monks are forbidden fusion in order to keep other classes balanced. Monk related items in quest prize lists take multiple quests to acquire enough scrip and are worse quality than you get for 30k silvers off FWI carts. When the balance is changed by giving everyone else but you a buff, you get pissed off about it.
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/03/2015 09:09 AM CST
Just for the record, I use 1212 from scrolls on a sorcerer.

I'm not sure if that makes a difference for your points, but I'm just saying.

Even without Iron Skin (since I haven't charged those scrolls in awhile) I do pretty fine with 6x Robes that have some ensorcelling.

Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/03/2015 09:14 AM CST
>Just for the record, I use 1212 from scrolls on a sorcerer.

Errrr...1202 (I often make mistakes for rummaging for spell numbers too...owing to 1712)

Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/03/2015 10:17 AM CST
>>A generally available crit padded helm that could be used by every other class without penalty, but which would inflict a penalty on bards wizards and sorcerers if they used it, isn't in the same league as what has happened to monks over the past three years, but its the same sort of thing.

Ahh, I see. So, even though the penalty is from the choice of wearing a certain armor sub group, and even though the impact of that choice stems from the profession choice of elemental magic - we'd prefer to blame the tool rather than our choice.

Because, there's no penalty for wearing that helmet. There's a penalty for casting spells in certain armor sub groups in the magic sphere chosen. And, lest we forget two very important things - a global change like this would be balanced before release with every creature getting exceptional weighting on their aimed head shots, and; it won't happen as a result of the treasure (snort!) system, and it still requires the element of choice.

Thanks, Rath - I appreciate you walking me down the monk path with that explanation. Always good to stay on point.

>>Just for the record, I use [1202] from scrolls on a sorcerer.

Yep, robes are the new black, no doubt about it - Iron Skin or no. I suspect Iron Skin will surpass Heroism in terms of scroll value, as the word gets out. Especially those who hate spell hindrance but want to have the protections of heavier armors.

Doug
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/03/2015 11:13 AM CST

>>Just for the record, I use [1202] from scrolls on a sorcerer.

>Yep, robes are the new black, no doubt about it - Iron Skin or no. I suspect Iron Skin will surpass Heroism in terms of scroll value, as the word gets out. Especially those who hate spell hindrance but want to have the protections of heavier armors.

Hahaha. That'll be the day. I picked up several of the ones from RtCF that can be recharged and actually still didn't touch any of them.

People like to tell me about the mechanical benefits of heavy armor and other stuff. My canned reply is that I can't imagine that character not wearing robes from an RP perspective (and armor concealers are not for me...he has concealed tattoos but it doesn't mean he doesn't have those tattoos). But between an aura enhancive helm and Iron Skin I at least have some claim to any "benefits."

Probably if I cared I'd have like, anything that was fusion at all? Maybe one day I spring for fusion robes. My alt I made like 2 months ago has better gear than my main sorcerer because...enchanted robes and a 4x flaring runestaff is basically enough for sorcery.

Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/04/2015 10:12 PM CST

Another alternative would be to change the coverage of robes to be full body.
Let's be real here has anyone ever seen robes irl or in a game that covered just your chest and stomach(besides GS)?
I haven't. Most times I see robes the go down to your feet and down to your hands and many have hoods.
I'd probably be more inclined to go with robes on my pure casters if they actually were robes rather than a glorified wife beater.
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/05/2015 12:32 AM CST
>Another alternative would be to change the coverage of robes to be full body.

Robes basically aren't armor. They are a platform to enchant on. Personally I envision them covering torso, legs, and arms, but it doesn't really matter that they do, since all you're really getting is the DS from enchants (and possibly TD from ensorcell).

Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/05/2015 08:23 AM CST
Or the benefits of padding, fusion, resistance, scripts, etc.

It's basically an armor with the same divisor as skin - so it doesn't really matter if it covers or not.

And, unless I'm very mistaken (like insanely so), it allows all professions to wear armor accessories that also have these benefits, with zero hindrance.

Yep, kickin' (or punchin', if you're a Jeet Koon Do follower).

Doug
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/05/2015 11:51 AM CST
>it allows all professions to wear armor accessories that also have these benefits, with zero hindrance.

This relates clearly to the OP. And for practical and productive purposes, a line of thought I too wanted to promote as an option.

Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/05/2015 11:59 AM CST
>>And, unless I'm very mistaken (like insanely so), it allows all professions to wear armor accessories that also have these benefits, with zero hindrance.

As Rath had pointed out though it sucks to hunt places like the rift and Nelemar without having warrior resistance put on your armor and you can't put those fittings on robes. I guess one could put them on accessory pieces but that still leaves one vulnerable in the torso area and also weighs you down a bit more if you had accessories for that reason alone.
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/05/2015 04:30 PM CST
>I guess one could put them on accessory pieces but that still leaves one vulnerable in the torso area and also weighs you down a bit more if you had accessories for that reason alone.

If you don't have fittings (or another source of resistance) a high proportion of instant deaths are from torso crits. It might have dropped me from one death per bounty (which is what I was taking from crawler spawn manoevers in robes) to one death per two bounties but leathers gave me 20lbs extra carrying capacity compared to adding accessories to robes as well as getting rid of all those deaths.
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/06/2015 12:00 AM CST
The topic of fittings with robes is certainly a new one for me. I've not hunted in the capped areas.

I know we've somewhat derailed from the OP discussion, but is there a problem to advocate that fittings should be able to work on robes? My guess is the reason they don't work is exactly because robes aren't actually armor? But as to being a platform to enhance our defensive capabilities, I don't see a major issue allowing this change. But, it's not a topic I've ever really thought about.

How much does that change help monks? I recall there was also the problem of Iron Skin that it doesn't give the CvA bonus of heavier armor classes (which ensorcell helps with a little, but not a whole lot), which is another issue entirely. Is there a major concern for game balance allowing such fittings on robes? When fittings and warrior resistances were designed, how thoroughly was this point evaluated, and what were the reasons to not allow it?

Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/06/2015 09:14 AM CST
>How much does that change help monks?

I reckon it makes one of the capped areas (Plane 4) huntable without going mutant. I suspect CvA reasons would drive monks to armor for Nelemar and the Scatter, and fittings aren't needed for OTF.

Its not a big deal though. Open UAC is crippled by the presence of characters using other systems. It doesn't change that.
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/07/2015 12:27 PM CST
Rathboner...

I couldn't really follow your last post. I say that admitting that I don't know much about robes.

Could you lay it out for dummies? I'd really appreciate it!

(This is an honest request with zero mockery etc)

Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/09/2015 08:31 AM CST
By design monks wear robes and 1202. Wearing armor is mutant. There are two reasons for wearing armor: fittings and CvA. Wearing robes makes for worse defense against Rift and Nelemar manoevers because of the lack of fittings. It also makes for worse defense against warding spells because of the poor CvA.

If you are wearing armor anyway, because you'd be killed by warding spells if you didn't, you don't care about whether fittings can be added to robes. I suspect this is the case for monks in Nelemar and the Scatter. A monk wearing chain in Nelemar can get puncture fittings put in it anyway and the availability of fittings won't move them back to robes because of their CvA issue. A monk wearing reinforced leather on Plane 4, solely to get slash fittings in it, as I did, would be able to go back to 1202 plus robes if fittings were available to them.

OTF: can wear robes anyway, fittings are only a marginal benefit if made available. 1202 viable without fittings.
Nelemar & Scatter: wearing chain anyway for CvA reasone so fittings already available. 1202 not viable even with fittings.
Plane 4: CvA manageable in robes, but slash fittings required. Fitting availability in robes makes 1202 viable.
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/09/2015 09:00 AM CST

>>Plane 4: CvA manageable in robes, but slash fittings required. Fitting availability in robes makes 1202 viable.

It has been about 2 years since I hunted plane 4 with any regularity but at the time I was dying as a plate wearing paladin. I purchased a hcp aventail and added slash fittings to that armor accessory and I don't think I died a single time after to a burrow. I agree with having fittings available to robes, it comes across as an oversight rather than intentional exclusion.

*Reason for using fittings on aventail was that it was padded and my armor was not, in addition since I only needed the resistance on my neck vs the burrow I used up my resistance less quickly as finding a warrior with the required armor training wasn't always quick.
Re: Magic Hindrance for ASG 8 and below... 02/09/2015 10:29 PM CST
Thanks! I see now what you mean clearly in terms of what reasons a monk may have shifted to armor, and what would be necessary to move back to robes.