Item Properties and Special Abilities 03/07/2014 10:31 PM CST
Players frequently ask questions -- particularly during service-heavy events -- regarding which equipment properties and special abilities are compatible with each other. This post is intended to serve as a canonical reference to address those questions.

This information is best used to determine what properties can definitely not be combined with each other. There is no guarantee that any two (or more) particular properties may be combined onto a single item at an event, or ever, even where this post indicates that it is technically possible. If you attempt to use this post to say "But Finros said you could do this" when you are turned down for a service, you will be thoroughly mocked by the merchant and/or myself.

Take care to read the caveats following the list of properties; some apparent exceptions to the rules are explained. Any property marked with a "[*]" has a specific note associated with it.

This listing is divided into four categories. Category A consists of properties which every piece of gear has. Category B consists of properties that are all mutually exclusive to each other. Category C consists of properties that are independent of each other, and of properties in any other category. Category D consists of scripts. Properties that apply only to weapons or armor are marked as such; otherwise assume that the property can apply to both (though it may come into play through different means). Shields are considered armor unless specifically disclaimed.

Category A: Present on all equipment; magnitude may vary in some cases
- Appearance
- Enchant (usually 0-50, can also be negative)
- Ability/inability to attack/affect magical creatures [*]
- Sanctified/non-sanctified status
- Forging modifiers (if forged by a player)
- Material properties [*]

Category B: Only ONE may be present; magnitude may vary in some cases, may be temporary or permanent in some cases
- Damage padding [armor, but not shields]
- Damage weighting [weapons]
- Critical padding [armor, but not shields]
- Critical weighting [weapons]
- Defensive bonus from weapons (commonly known as "Defender weapons") [weapons]
- Offensive bonus from armor [armor]
- Magical defense (TD) [armor]
- Minor Elemental Edge (spell 902) [weapons]
- Temporary blessing, with or without holy water flares
- Conventional permablessing (e.g. not Creature Bane - Undead)
- Fire flares
- Cold flares
- Lightning flares
- Acid flares
- Vibration (earth, impact) flares
- Disintegration flares
- Disruption flares
- Vacuum (void) flares
- Plasma flares
- Steam flares
- Unbalance (burst of force) flares
- Grapple (tendril of force) flares
- Dispel flares
- Mechanical (three varieties: slash, puncture, crush) flares
- Mana flares [weapons - runestaffs]
- Acuity flares [weapons - runestaffs]

Category C: Any number may be present; magnitude may vary in some cases; may be temporary or permanent in some cases
- Enhancives
- Resistances [armor]
- Creature Bane [*]
- Spikes [armor]
- Ensorcellment
- Weapon bonding (either spell or cman) [weapons]

Category D: Only ONE may be present
- Everything not mentioned above (yes, seriously). This includes everything from the weapons that hiss when you wave them (and do nothing else), to the properties of Sorrow.

Notes regarding [*] marks in the above list:
- The ability to attack/affect magical creatures is only partially implemented with regard to armor and shields. Some offensive maneuvers require magical gear, others do not. This will likely be made consistent in requiring magical gear, over the long term.
- Material properties are relatively new in Gemstone. Modern gear made out of particular materials, such as adamantine or black ora, are likely to have their special abilities as an inherent property. Older gear may use a script to accomplish similar effects, which of course occupies the script ability of the equipment.
- Creature Bane items may grant damage/critical padding/weighting or flares, separate from anything in Category B. Only one Creature Bane foe type and one Creature Bane effect may be present.

The greatest caveat is in regard to Category D, scripts. Scripts have great flexibility in what they can do and may include the application or modification of one or more Category B items, in addition to whatever other effects they may have.

I believe this list to be complete, as of this date. If you don't see a particular special ability listed in Categories A-C, it is almost certainly a Category D (script) ability, of which there are quite literally hundreds.
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 03/08/2014 09:43 AM CST

Thanks for this post, it should become a readily available resource. Perhaps a new spot in the Document folder could be created to make it easily found?

~
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 03/08/2014 02:21 PM CST

So blink flares would fall under D? What about banshee flares and bubble flares? are they D as well?
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 03/08/2014 03:26 PM CST
Not sure if you're joking but:

<<Category D: Only ONE may be present
- *Everything not mentioned above (yes, seriously)*. This includes everything from the weapons that hiss when you wave them (and do nothing else), to the properties of Sorrow.>>

No they are not mentioned in A-C, Yes they are scripts (scripted flares).
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 03/08/2014 08:07 PM CST
For the purposes of this list does fusion = enhancive?
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 03/08/2014 08:48 PM CST

No, fusion is a script.

Dgry
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 03/09/2014 09:07 AM CDT
Yeah, fusion is an enhancive that is made by a script. So definitely a script in the forefront of things.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 08/27/2017 03:16 AM CDT

Finros or other staff-

Request to please update this post or the corresponding official section of this page:

https://gswiki.play.net/Item_properties

Thank you
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 08/27/2017 06:49 AM CDT
I'm confused (no surprise). I though the new W/P/S change allows for both damage and crit weighting on weapons and armor now?

Wyrom says, "Ordim is the reason savants won't be coded as well."
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 08/27/2017 10:05 AM CDT
I thought that was confirmed in Zissu's post.

Doug
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 08/27/2017 10:12 AM CDT

>I'm confused (no surprise)

I'm requesting for staff to update the OP by Finros from this thread that was made back in 2014.
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 08/27/2017 10:14 AM CDT
Oh dear lord. I thought we had the charts of clarity (which are much clearer than this list) to figure out what goes where.
A necro bump like that is just confusing!

Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 08/27/2017 10:20 AM CDT
Zissu just posted a clarification.

If two different padding types exist on same item - both full effect.
Otherwise, same as before.

Doug
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 08/27/2017 10:21 AM CDT
Yes, but there was no reason to bump a nearly 4 year old thread of bad information and potentially confuse other people with a big long list by a name in red.

Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 08/27/2017 10:27 AM CDT

>Yes, but there was no reason to bump a nearly 4 year old thread of bad information and potentially confuse other people with a big long list by a name in red.

Excuse me, but perhaps I write the documentation and I know what I'm doing.
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 08/27/2017 10:48 AM CDT
Based on our private conversation I'll offer an apology if you feel my tone is out of line.

However, Based on the utter trash forums that exist here it's not helpful to those in threaded view when, during a major system change, a GM post is suddenly showing up with outdated information. It may make more sense in the legacy view mode where things are just a wall of random disconnected posts, but in a semi modern forums format, it's effectively a thread necro bump.

This entire post is a negative attack at the archaic, antiquated and utterly embarrassing forums software that a company in 2017 continues to make excuses to maintain. While NUMEROUS outside forums are spawned to try and make something from the nearly unusable software here filled in, to the point where the PM of the game is reaching out to use a player generated forum to help communicate.

Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 08/27/2017 10:58 AM CDT

Reminder that this is a request for GM help with documentation on the following page:

https://gswiki.play.net/Item_properties

and not a complaint from me about the forum software.

Joe- I'm sorry if you were confused, I tried to make it clear the OP was outdated and, thus, why I was requesting an update. I'm sorry if you never saw the original post before today, it was very helpful, which is why I am making this request.
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 08/27/2017 04:15 PM CDT
>Request to please update this post or the corresponding official section of this page:

With regard to item properties, this change has removed the four types of padding and weighting from Category B and put them into Category C (to use my original divisions). That is, an item can now have both critical and damage weighting [weapons], or both critical and damage padding [armor, but not shields], and those properties are not exclusive of any other Category B property.

Other than that, the original post remains accurate. Whether individuals prefer my original formatting or the derived "Charts of Clarity" is, of course, a personal opinion -- but at present, the latter are missing some aspects that were in my original post, such as magical status and sanctification status, plus some examples. They do show several common script types, though.
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 08/27/2017 04:20 PM CDT

>Finros

Thanks!
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 09/07/2017 09:44 PM CDT

For completeness, sighting [bows/crossbows] goes into C?
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 09/07/2017 09:51 PM CDT
Yep
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 09/07/2017 09:53 PM CDT

>Yep

sorry, only accepting a Yes from Finros as it is his official post.
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 09/07/2017 10:31 PM CDT
I can proxy for Finros, though he's more than welcome to confirm when he sees this. Sighting is indeed now aligned (with weighting and padding) most appropriately to Category C from his initial post.

Zissu - Combat and Magic Systems Dev Lackey
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 09/07/2017 10:42 PM CDT

>I can proxy for Finros, though he's more than welcome to confirm when he sees this. Sighting is indeed now aligned (with weighting and padding) most appropriately to Category C from his initial post.

great, thanks
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 09/07/2017 10:51 PM CDT
In category A you have material properties. Does this include fancy materials such as Zelnorn, kroderine, adamantite? Or are those considered a script and would fall under Cat D?

http://i.imgur.com/lsWPzG9.gif
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 09/07/2017 11:24 PM CDT
When a GM has the time could they advise which category the rare flares would fall under so I can update the charts of clarity?

https://gswiki.play.net/Flare

Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 09/08/2017 03:03 AM CDT
They are not considered a script. But part of the actual item build or something.

Which makes them cool, because more.

But for proof, I've very recently seen Voln or Ithzir scripted kroderine for example, among others. It is possible, the trick is finding and getting the service.
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 09/08/2017 03:14 AM CDT
I'll save them time!

Acuity flares - Cat B
Blink weapon - Cat D
Bubble flares - Cat D
Chronomage flares - Cat D
Grapple flares - Cat B
Greater elemental flares - Cat B & D (the basic flare is B the other cool stuff beyond basic flare is D)
Ironwright's holy flares - Cat D
Knockout flares - Cat D
Mana flares +5 - Cat B
Mechanical flares - Cat B
Poison flares - Cat D, maybe B & D (also there are a few types, not sure on this but probably just D).
Polearm rebalancing flares - Cat D
Rotating flares - Cat B & D
Rotflares - Cat D
Shadowdeath flares - Cat B & D
Unbalance flares - Cat B
Vial flares - Cat D
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 09/08/2017 04:28 AM CDT
I think Rotflares might be category C actually since it seems to be able to go on almost anything. I'll have to wait on confirmation on that one.

If a GM could just confirm Roblar's information is correct and confirm which the poison flares are, that would be fantastic.

Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 09/08/2017 04:33 AM CDT
Also will need info for parasite weapons, disarm returning, ethereal strings, splitter, wand-holding staff, greater weapon moods, and ethereal weapon. I am assuming these would be category D.

Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 09/08/2017 06:42 AM CDT
>> I think Rotflares might be category C actually since it seems to be able to go on almost anything. I'll have to wait on confirmation on that one.

Very sure they are, just like "Unleashed Pain" Flares, which is the name of the flare attached to the Nerve Staff script. Technically, Ethereal Chain Flares are also a script, not a flare, since Ethereal weapons can have true flares on them.

Really wish the word Flare was reserved for just true flares (in the actual flare slot on the weapon) and Combat Scripts had their own designation. It would have prevented a lot of confusion (but of course, when the first one was released... they had to explain it somehow "it's like a flare!"
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 09/08/2017 10:56 AM CDT
<I think Rotflares might be category C actually since it seems to be able to go on almost anything. I'll have to wait on confirmation on that one.>

It is indeed Cat D/a script, cleverly done to work with (almost) all other scripts.

All the other ones in the next two posts are scripts/Cat D.
Re: Item Properties and Special Abilities 09/09/2017 12:11 AM CDT
> In category A you have material properties. Does this include fancy materials such as Zelnorn, kroderine, adamantite? Or are those considered a script and would fall under Cat D?

I'm afraid that the answer to this question isn't entirely straightforward. Modern items are built with inherent (Category A) material properties, including for "fancy materials". Older items may have used scripts for material properties before the materials were formalized. And aside from that, even some modern "materials" are still scripts in various forms -- for example, "pure black ora" is a script while regular black ora is a standard material. In any case, the three examples you named are modern materials with inherent properties.

With regard to flares, my listing of Category B flares was complete with nothing missing. All other flares are scripts (which may or may not use the Category B slot as part of the flare script); additionally, there may be variants on the Category B flares ("greater X flares") that are actually scripts.