re: Runestaff flares (From EG folder) 09/22/2011 12:43 PM CDT
Re: Runestaff Flares on 09/22/2011 12:52 PM EDT
Links-arrows 1825
Reply Reply
>In light of runestaves getting offensive flare ability and apparently a CS booster, I think all shield flares should be reactive.
Pah. That's what you have the weapon for. Besides, this'll actually help make pures want to use a runestick, rather than feel forced into it.
Ideally, the runestaff flares will take training into account, and flare more often based on your skills. Primary focus on MIU and AS, then HP and XMC, then spell ranks.
Either way... awesome.
~Godefroy

I agree that runestaves need improvement and a reason to use them.

However, I disagree with your suggestion that flares take training into account. Mainly because I'm of the opinion that there should be a limit on how much offensive (and defensive) power a runestaff has (as far as any future developments). Perhaps one, or the other, but not both. Especially not in the same runestaff.

-farmer
re: Runestaff flares (From EG folder) 09/22/2011 02:32 PM CDT
I am not 100% I understand your comment re: offensive AND defensive flares. All three of those flares shown were flares from a casting of a spell, not reactive. It gives flares of varying sorts when a spell is cast, much as a weapon may do.

Is your issue that spell damage is too high, or that runestaff defense is too strong?

~Godefroy

Morvule hisses, "Ssssally ssssellssss sssseashellssss by the sssseasssshore."
re: Runestaff flares (From EG folder) 09/22/2011 05:00 PM CDT

I could see a few different things going into play here. First off....I really hope those runestaves will be off the shelf like that and not only a few raffle wins.

Next, I could see your 'attuned' element being the default flare for your runestaff, unless you found a merchant to replace them. Beyond that, I wouldn't like to see training go into effect for frequency/intensity of flares at least as a passive trait. Two possibilities come to mind.....piggyback on the 340 style of having to bless the item inbetween hunts for those 1-3 ubercasts. The other would be something like being able to cause your staff to behave a bit like cloak of shadows. Your staff could cast a spell when stunned, and if you wanted a spell you didn't know well then you could get another runestave user of another profession and more skill/lore/spell ranks to magick yours up for your next few hunts.

Curious to see what else comes of this, definitely a perk to pures everywhere!

Lochiven
re: Runestaff flares (From EG folder) 09/23/2011 05:07 PM CDT
Why does this runestaff flare compare in flavor to the proposed changes in the sorcerer bolt that is "supposed" to utilize plasma and bonus flares from demons...also, why is this runestaff flare coming out BEFORE the proposed sorcerer spell is released even though it's already been passed through the test instance? Not that I don't want my runestaff to flare, that'd be SWEEEEEEEET!