Veil iron 07/13/2011 06:54 AM CDT
Does a veil iron weapon do anything speical? The materials page says something about draining magic near it but I've never seen it happen.
Re: Veil iron 07/13/2011 10:27 AM CDT
I was so afraid of this when I got a veil iron weapon that I put it into a locker with nothing magical, just in case. It sounds silly admitting that, but I did! As it turns out, veil iron is just a pretty name and it doesn't do anything at all anymore.

~~k
Re: Veil iron 07/13/2011 12:15 PM CDT
5x and can't be further enchanted by a player. Desperately in need of a GM to rewrite it and make it special.

-Richard/Fjalar.
Re: Veil iron 07/13/2011 01:14 PM CDT
I agree. Veil iron should be more special instead of a hindrance. Not being able to enchant is a massive penalty, certainly more than the benefit of starting at 5x.

I suggest the metal increase a players TD to simulate the ability to absorb/reflect/negate magic. This could also add to casting hindrance by a slight percentage to indicate the same. It would be a good metal for squares once more if something along these lines occurred. Alternatively, it could strip spells, a single one per flare.

~Galenok
Re: Veil iron 07/13/2011 02:49 PM CDT
it was a rare metal long ago, and actually was worth money when breakage actually existed. Right now, anything made from veil iron is just heavy. Sell it.
Re: Veil iron 07/13/2011 04:23 PM CDT
>I suggest the metal increase a players TD to simulate the ability to absorb/reflect/negate magic. This could also add to casting hindrance by a slight percentage to indicate the same. It would be a good metal for squares once more if something along these lines occurred. Alternatively, it could strip spells, a single one per flare.
~Galenok

Veil iron needs a complete re-write. Kroderine and (the separately released) dispel flares already do what veil iron was supposed to.

-farmer
Re: Veil iron 07/14/2011 03:40 AM CDT
Agreed; it needs a re-write. It's one of those things where the advantages went away as breakage left, and then someone decided to do something with it, and however noble their intentions were, there just wasn't follow through. What we're left with is a half-finished idea that is more of a penalty than a bonus. My suggestion would be to just throw out the whole idea of magical interferance or absorption, because as The Farmer said, those spots have been filled.

Take a fresh look at it: what is it, where does it come from, did it comes from another plane? or from space you say? So how about it becomes a weapon-only metal that can pass through armor/weapons, thereby bypassing some element of armor on a flare, or has variable AvD vs different metals, or bypasses elemental defense spells, or bypasses block/parry as it passes through weapons/shields, or some other such strange and wonderful new thing. That's just one thought, and I'm sure other people could come up with other ideas that would be equally nifty.

Make the change, add it to the conversion chamber, (or don't and only apply it to new veil iron weapons), and move on.

Whatever effort was made in the past just hasn't come to fruition. We respect those who make such efforts even when they don't succeed, but it's time to move veil iron back into the "special" category.

Kerl