shields 04/24/2013 05:56 AM CDT

can someone tell me what size a kite shield is? i am thinking it would be large, but i cant figure out how to prove it other than trying each of the size focus skills.
Re: shields 04/24/2013 06:36 AM CDT
Did it not show up on inspection? It should be medium. (Edited: I should go back to bed.)
Re: shields 04/24/2013 06:38 AM CDT
This link will help too: http://www.play.net/gs4/info/armory/armorshields.asp

But in general it is...

Small:
buckler, kidney shield, targe

Medium:
heater shield, heater, knight's shield, lantern shield, parma, target shield

Large:
aegis, kite shield, pageant shield, round shield, scutum

Tower:
greatshield, mantlet, pavis, wall shield

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: shields 04/24/2013 06:44 AM CDT
What Aulis said.

EXCEPT: There are some out there that are medium. If you haven't done so yet, try INSPECTing it. Loresong might tell you as well.
Re: shields 04/24/2013 08:55 AM CDT
If you do find one that's medium, you can probably make it large by using the converters in most armories.
Re: shields 04/24/2013 04:54 PM CDT

hmmmmm, veniom-banded faenor targe, a silvery rolaren kite shield(2 of) and a glaes-bound silver alloy buckler. all medium. do i just be glad all my shields are the same size or do i try to convert them to large and small.

level 22 and i havent actually used a shield sence about level 8

mostly use burnished imflass bastard sword enchanted to +22 and burnished eahnor bastard sword for undead

| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 148 48
Shield Use.........................| 105 25
Combat Maneuvers...................| 148 48
Edged Weapons......................| 148 48
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 148 48
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 50 10
Physical Fitness...................| 144 44
Dodging............................| 134 37
Re: shields 04/24/2013 11:27 PM CDT
Well if you aren't using a shield get rid of it I'd say. You also don't need to train in edged weapons to use a bastard sword as a two-handed weapon. If you do that I suggest you train more armor with the freed up points, the sooner you can squeeze into plate the better usually.
Re: shields 04/25/2013 05:38 AM CDT

options, i like having the option of using the bastard sword one handed with a shield. this character is still in the first 30 days of gs4 conversion, and i suppose that with dodge, having the option of using a shield when facing bolts is not that important anymore.

i'm asking questions because i have to refigure the roleplaying concept for this character. going from a near maxed starting roll in gs3 and baredly having the tp's needed to follow the concept, at one point i thought i would never bring him into gs4. after a 8 year vacation from gs, i figured i might as well see if i can come up with a decent compromise of concept and funtionality. it might not be possible.

how much dodge do most twohanded and two weapon warriors go with anyway. i left the 1x brawling off the skills i posted earlier because i already know that has to be dropped off the training when i restat.
Re: shields 04/25/2013 05:57 AM CDT
As an aside, it would be cool to see shield CMANs which somehow enhanced the experience of using a GRIPable weapon to make the style more effective and appealing.

I imagine you'd want to at least 2x dodge as a baseline if you weren't training in shield use at all.
Re: shields 04/25/2013 09:14 AM CDT
>>how much dodge do most twohanded and two weapon warriors go with anyway. i left the 1x brawling off the skills i posted earlier because i already know that has to be dropped off the training when i restat.

>>I imagine you'd want to at least 2x dodge as a baseline if you weren't training in shield use at all.

Most have anywhere from 1x to 2x. My experience has been to load up on it a bit early then let it slide as you want to work your way into the heavier armors. If you have ready access to spells you can manage with 1x dodge and 3x armor until you reach your goal there. Eventually you'll likely want 2x dodge though and more, but I'd say 2x dodge before cap is reasonable.