THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/14/2012 11:49 PM CDT

So, with the advent of the new UAC and the changes to Voln Fu, my initial trials have led to the inescapable conclusion that, as anticipated, holding a shield and using the UAC just ain't gonna work, at all. I literally can't even hit a rolton, being fully trained in brawling, while holding a shield, using the Jab/punch/grapple/kick system. Given the degree of penalty for holding a shield making the use of the "Voln Fu ver. 2.0" completely non-viable, I am drawn to some inescapable conclusions:

1) The warrior who trains OHE/Shields/Brawling for Voln Fu is obsolete. No longer works. For such a warrior to make use of the UAC, one has to put away their shield, which for the warrior in plate with somewhere in the ballpark of 1x dodging means getting beat on pretty hard. The only remedy is wild stance dancing and shield on/off the shoulder, which to me is just ugly aesthetically, as well as being a giant pain, and as such, not a good option.

2) The only way to approach workability for the warrior is a fully dodge heavy training path. With the OHE/Shield/Brawl warrior, such a path seems like its really only viable as a huge post-cap project requiring millions of EXP to reach up levels of dodge. Now, working on dodge happens to be a long term post cap goal for me anyway, but that's still an extenuating circumstance, especially when considering your warrior who isn't either millions of exp post cap or on their way that way.

therefore

3) There really isn't much reason for us OHE/Shield warriors to train in Brawling anymore, unless we are counting on the afore mentioned millions of post-cap EXP ndodge training.

So here we are, what shall we all do? Sure the open hand DS of having brawl training was nice, but that was when we had a shield in our other hand and used Fu. Since that's no longer appearing to be an option, is it time for us to drop the brawling, give up on our martial arts dreams for good and put those points to another use?

I'll be putting a lot of thought into my current training plan in days and weeks to come, but I would love to hear what some of my fellow warriors are thinking about this new advent. Anyone have any thoughts to share while we adapt to this brave new world?

Disclaimer: I think the Voln updates are in general great, despite the fact that they have needs be caused an existential crisis for warriors of a certain training path, so I don't want to imply that I'm distraught or anything. It's just that now that we are here, I think it's time to talk about it!

*Mohrgan grins cheerfully*
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/15/2012 12:49 AM CDT
The size shield that you uses impacts the MM a great deal. Using a buckler, it's still possible, but hard. Using a tower shield is next to impossible.
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/15/2012 12:55 AM CDT
Does shield-use reduce the size penalty though? For people 3x in shields, you should still be able to be nimble regardless of the size shield. I agree with a penalty, but there should be ways to reduce the penalty.

I like the UAC and I like the Voln changes all around, but I'm in agreement that OHE/Shield/Brawl builds seem a lot less viable right out of the gate. The UAC system is fairly amazing in the messaging, tiers, intricacy, etc..., but once I started trying to kung-fu like-level creatures, I was womped pretty quickly without some creative stance dance/grab shield macros.
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/15/2012 01:04 AM CDT

Yeah, maybe a buckler, but most of the warriors who use shields use towers. Maybe a second shield (buckler) as an option but...eh...still.

Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/15/2012 01:04 AM CDT
Myself, I'd see if you could push for bucklers at least to be classified as a crushing-type brawling weapon for purposes of the UAC. It makes logical and game-balance sense to me.

- Metadi, the punny one
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/15/2012 01:06 AM CDT

Having Shield Use modify the penalty would be one interesting option. Definitely not there as implemented, I'm fully 3x at cap.

I also think the UAC is really awesome, in general. Just not for a shield using warrior in plate. I'd be interested in hearing from THW/Brawling warriors with lots of dodge how using Voln Fu with the UAC works, since I assume they are wearing plate too.

Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/15/2012 01:24 AM CDT

I really hope they offer another fix skills after all of these Voln changes.

Overall I love the changes to Voln, but they completely squashed multiple characters training paths.
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/15/2012 01:24 AM CDT
As a capped sorcerer with 0 ranks in brawling and CM, I can jab a rolton with a medium shield....jes sayen!
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/15/2012 01:33 AM CDT

\As a capped sorcerer with 0 ranks in brawling and CM, I can jab a rolton with a medium shield....jes sayen!\

I guess I did connect that one time for 1 damage. I stand corrected...

>jab rol
You make a precise attempt to jab a rolton!
Your attack is hindered by holding a battleworn black tower shield!
You have decent positioning against a rolton.
UAF: 547 vs UDF: 58 = 2.000 (capped) * MM: 5 + d100: 34 = 44
A clean miss!
Roundtime: 4 sec.
R>
A rolton tries to bite you!
With extreme effort, you block the attack with your shield!
R>jab rol
You have good positioning against a rolton.
UAF: 547 vs UDF: 41 = 2.000 (capped) * MM: 5 + d100: 95 = 105
... and hit for 1 point of damage!
Weak jab to chest doesn't faze her.
R>jab rol
...wait 1 seconds.
R>jab rol
UAF: 547 vs UDF: 41 = 2.000 (capped) * MM: 5 + d100: 76 = 86
A close miss!
R>jab rol
...wait 1 seconds.
R>jab rol
UAF: 547 vs UDF: 41 = 2.000 (capped) * MM: 5 + d100: 59 = 69
A close miss!
R>jab rol
...wait 1 seconds.
R>jab rol
UAF: 547 vs UDF: 41 = 2.000 (capped) * MM: 5 + d100: 3 = 13
A clean miss!
R>
A rolton trots west.
R>jab rol
...wait 1 seconds.
R>
* Graffix just bit the dust!
>w
>jab rol
UAF: 547 vs UDF: 58 = 2.000 (capped) * MM: 5 + d100: 54 = 64
A close miss!
R>jab rol
UAF: 547 vs UDF: 58 = 2.000 (capped) * MM: 5 + d100: 46 = 56
A close miss!
R>jab rol
...wait 3 seconds.
R>jab rol
...wait 1 seconds.
>jab rol
UAF: 547 vs UDF: 58 = 2.000 (capped) * MM: 5 + d100: 59 = 69
A close miss!
R>jab rol
...wait 1 seconds.
R>jab rol
UAF: 547 vs UDF: 58 = 2.000 (capped) * MM: 5 + d100: 54 = 64
A close miss!
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/15/2012 02:14 AM CDT
R>jab def
You attempt to jab a spectral triton defender!
Your attack is hindered by holding a golden vultite maul!
You have good positioning against a spectral triton defender.
UAF: 605 vs UDF: 517 = 1.170 * MM: 36 + d100: 49 = 91
A close miss!
Roundtime: 3 sec.
R>jab def
Your attack is hindered by holding a golden vultite maul!
UAF: 605 vs UDF: 517 = 1.170 * MM: 34 + d100: 56 = 95
A close miss!

R>jab
Your attack is hindered by holding a vultite katana!
You have decent positioning against a spectral triton defender.
UAF: 605 vs UDF: 517 = 1.170 * MM: 34 + d100: 64 = 103
... and hit for 1 point of damage!
Ineffectual strike knocks a wisp of ether from the triton defender's right arm.

>jab
Your attack is hindered by holding a vultite katana!
UAF: 605 vs UDF: 517 = 1.170 * MM: 33 + d100: 15 = 53
A close miss!

That is with a THW in hand

R>jab def
You make a precise attempt to jab a spectral triton defender!
UAF: 597 vs UDF: 481 = 1.241 * MM: 81 + d100: 49 = 149
... and hit for 4 points of damage!
Quick strike rips left arm open!
To your dismay it quickly closes on its own.
Strike leaves foe vulnerable to a followup kick attack!

>kick
You make a precise attempt to kick a spectral triton defender!
UAF: 597 vs UDF: 440 = 1.356 * MM: 99 + d100: 100 = 234
... and hit for 45 points of damage!
Light strike to the triton defender's head.
A wisp of vapor trickles earthward.
Roundtime: 6 sec.

R>smite
You make a precise attempt to smite a spectral triton defender!
Your arm and fist briefly glow silver with holy power!
UAF: 597 vs UDF: 440 = 1.356 * MM: 89 + d100: 32 = 152
A crimson mist suddenly surrounds the triton defender as she is unwillingly drawn into the corporeal plane!
Roundtime: 5 sec.

>kick neck
UAF: 597 vs UDF: 501 = 1.191 * MM: 85 + d100: 88 = 189
... and hit for 34 points of damage!
The triton defender glares maliciously as the strike slides through its right hand.
You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the triton defender's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens.
The spectral form of the triton defender tenses in agony as she begins to dissolve from the bottom up!
Roundtime: 6 sec.

That is bare handed. You'll notice the difference in the MMs. I also don't have any enchanted gear to increase my UAF which would help. I did pull off one crit kill on a defender, the system has some quirks that will take a bit of getting used to. For me, I may use it to set up defenders for a head strike, but I don't see me using it to actually kill them. I also lose 50 DS putting away my weapon, my DS still isn't bad in offensive, but the loss of DS is certainly noticeable.
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/15/2012 04:11 AM CDT

>Myself, I'd see if you could push for bucklers at least to be classified as a crushing-type brawling weapon for purposes of the UAC. It makes logical and game-balance sense to me.

>- Metadi, the punny one

That'd be something worth considering too, but really, if we are looking at logic, I don't see a real reason that one couldn't hold something in their left hand and punch (or even kick) just as easily, as was the case with the old Fu. Grapple, I agree, should not work with something in the off-hand, in the same way THROW didn't work with the old Fu.

I am thinking that the new UAC is set up to be exactly what it is called: Unarmed. Therefore, I don't see shields being considered the same as a brawling weapon as a very likely addition to the system. The more I play with it, the more convinced I become that the old Voln Fu Warrior just doesn't, just isn't supposed to, exist anymore. The only thing keeping me hesitating from using my FIXSKILLS immediately, at this point, is in case anyone comes forward with a compelling reason that Brawling might still be useful to a warrior that I have overlooked, since the UAC pretty clearly is not.

No doubt, as implemented, this is going to take some reconsideration of training for a lot of characters who have been going the OHE/Shield/Brawl-Fu path since the dawn of time. After all, I'd argue that it was among the most common and popular training paths for a warrior to take, after THW.

So it goes.

Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/15/2012 06:11 AM CDT
Some of those clips people look like they are aiming while not intending to.

>kick

You have to set your aim location to random in order not to aim. "precise" in the messaging indicates it was aimed and you take the usual RT penalty for aiming.

My opinion from my beta testing was that it would kill the sword/board/brawl style for squares. I think its been tweaked to be even worse since then, possibly in an attempt to make it unviable for pures and magical semis to UAC with shield too and not just kill it for warriors.

I haven't decided yet whether to give up brawling, Voln, or retire the character, but the build is dead.
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/15/2012 10:50 AM CDT
<The only thing keeping me hesitating from using my FIXSKILLS immediately, at this point, is in case anyone comes forward with a compelling reason that Brawling might still be useful to a warrior that I have overlooked, since the UAC pretty clearly is not.

I like to walk around with empty hand defense or in the field if needed, as well as fitting my concept of my warrior (and the Ice Tavern/pugilism brawls, brawl cmans, simple brawl AS/attack for RP etc) - that is why I'd never fixskill away from brawling as an extra weapon style.

Still, despite the cool messaging and tiering system, I'm feeling nerfed when it comes to using this a situation attack style (spirit drained, encumbered, unstunnable/uncrittable undead) as a 3x dodge, 3x shield 2x brawling warrior. Using the system as designed (empty hands) leaves me open to far more injuries than would get with my shield/weapon and probably takes longer to do the job. Safer to go back to the primary weapon when dealing with like level undead foes, maybe after stowing and smiting uncorporeal like crusaders into the corporeal world.

I like the idea of shield use training mitigating/removing the penalty (at least for jab/punch/kick), I use a medium shield by the way, not tower. Buckler size shield suggestion would be smart too as would also aid in that shield size class usefulness/under utilization.
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/15/2012 02:41 PM CDT
It seems entirely reasonable that grappling would be a problem, but you should be able to punch or kick with a shield in one hand, and kick with a THW. In both cases there should be a penalty, but it shouldn't be so bad as to make it virtually unviable. Punching with a THW in hand never really made sense, nice or not.

The same goes for armor. A penalty for plate makes sense, but this is a fantasy land, we do a lot of things in heavy armor that aren't all that possible in reality. Any penalty should be small.

Kerl
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/15/2012 02:49 PM CDT
Funny how they are doing this when it is exactly what people were worried about. I can understand making it more difficult, but what they've done seems excessive. And the only real reason for them doing so seems to be to keep the image they want of people who use UAC.
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/15/2012 03:40 PM CDT

It seems excessive only if you still think of unarmed combat as what it used to be, a special attack. Now its been moved to be an actual combat style instead of just an added benny you can train. Being able to use it with a shield would be like being able to use archery with a shield.

You can still do the Voln OHE/Shield/Brawling path but you aren't going to be what you were before, actually just a OHE/Shield warrior with a mechanics bypassing special attack against undead. Now you are a geniune multi discipline warrior build like all the non-Voln types. You can successfully use both of your combat styles seperately but you'll have to make actual trade offs now.

This means that you can't specialize your other training, especially your cman's to just min/max your ohe/shield build. Now you'll need to spread it out to cover the unarmed combat build as well, just like you would if you were a non-Voln brawling style user. This applies to equipment as well.

Give it some time and think of it that way, as you would if you picked up a second combat style. The other thing to keep in mind is we also don't have the UCS gear available which will add directly to your UAF and parry as well as add in flares. That's another big benefit, your UCS gear at step 8 Voln is now permablessed.

I know its not what anyone wants to hear and I sympathize. I'm not posting this to dump on anyone's concerns, but I just wanted to give an outside perspective on it. Its not as bad as it looks at first pass. Hope it helps.
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/15/2012 03:57 PM CDT
For a warrior compared to other training paths UAC leaves a lot to be desired as it is now. Either way you slice it we'd be giving up DS to use a combat system with a slower kill rate. We also haven't been given access to any of the UAC cmans that monks will be getting as far as I know.
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/15/2012 04:37 PM CDT
>You can still do the Voln OHE/Shield/Brawling path but you aren't going to be what you were before, actually just a OHE/Shield warrior with a mechanics bypassing special attack against undead. Now you are a geniune multi discipline warrior build like all the non-Voln types.

You can't still do this. The UAC is a two handed system. Previously brawl was a one handed system. If your previous build was based on TWC or THW then its not a big deal, but if it was based on shield you are stuffed.
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/15/2012 04:39 PM CDT
And in this game, slow = death. You simply can't fight slowly and hope to be as successful as you are with another weapon style.

~Galenok
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/15/2012 04:51 PM CDT
>It seems entirely reasonable that grappling would be a problem, but you should be able to punch or kick with a shield in one hand, and kick with a THW. In both cases there should be a penalty, but it shouldn't be so bad as to make it virtually unviable. Punching with a THW in hand never really made sense, nice or not.--Kerl

A fix along these lines would make me pretty happy with everything. The shield penalty (or perhaps the "not both hands open" penalty--I also have a warrior who uses polearms, but I have not tried anything with him yet) is what is really killing this change for me. So much of it is good. This one fix that Kerl suggested would make me extremely happy.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/15/2012 05:16 PM CDT

Rathboner, I meant that if you want to use the UCS then you have to swap over to UCS mode, stow your shield/weapon and use it. I know its not the same as the old way, the old way you weren't really using 2 combat styles. You were using a ohe/shield style with a special attack. Now its like all of the other dual combat style training paths in that you have to train/equip for them both, not just use one as a special attack.

I'm just saying that's how you have to look at it now. I know its a big letdown especially for shield users. I'd guess it'll make brawling much less attractive as a secondary style. However I'm not too sure, because what other secondary combat style would be better? You'd still have to lose the shield to use'em.

Has anyone tried using a buckler with it? It should have a smaller negative MM mod.
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/15/2012 05:53 PM CDT

>However I'm not too sure, because what other secondary combat style would be better?

Hurling. If it ever gets fixed, or if you have the right toy. Otherwise just switching between weapons, because there isn't another secondary style any more. Brawling used to provide a special attack for one and two handed use. It now only provides a special attack for two handed use.
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/15/2012 11:40 PM CDT
>Rathboner, I meant that if you want to use the UCS then you have to swap over to UCS mode, stow your shield/weapon and use it. I know its not the same as the old way, the old way you weren't really using 2 combat styles. You were using a ohe/shield style with a special attack. Now its like all of the other dual combat style training paths in that you have to train/equip for them both, not just use one as a special attack.

Unfortunately, it isn't quite that simple. Stowing your shield means your DS drops to the 100s, pre-spell tanking. When you have post cap critters swinging in the 400s-500s, even with plate and full DFreduction, that just doesn't cut it. The only other option to keep your DS even workable is something like doing 3x dodge, which would be a stretch still for a plate wearer, notwithstanding that it's completely impossible to train in all those things unless you're as far post cap as Roblar ;). You stow your shield as a OHE/Shield user and you are going to get whomped. That's just not an option. You literally can't train for all of those things at once. Ergo, the UCS is pretty well dead on arrival for the shield user.

Yeah, from the way it stands, it looks like I'm going to have to drop all my Brawling for the time being to take up Hurling. And I don't like that one bit for the exact reasons that Roblar mentioned. My character has been built for over a decade on being able to Brawl, being able to defend open handed, being able to kick and punch. It doesn't fit my vision of a warrior to have a combat profession who can't even throw a punch...that's just nonsensical, as I see it. I am really having a hard time reconciling the fact that I won't be able to throw a punch any harder than an infant were I in a barroom brawl, but it just seems like it's either that or accept that I have 1500 or so TPs invested in a combat skill that is essentially useless to me for combat.

I think that it is actually just about as bleak for shield users as we are making it out to be, unfortunately.

But, on the other hand, the rest of the Voln updates are fantastic, so maybe in time it will become apparent that losing this combat option balances out in the other gains to the society. I really don't mean to come off on the whole update sounding doomy and gloomy, I'm just rather trying to adjust to the fact that my character's dozen year plus development around a style has abruptly been forced to do a 180, and what that is going to mean for the very identity of my character.

Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/16/2012 02:51 AM CDT
Even with the 3x dodge it isn't worth the trouble, maybe if you had TWC to go along with it to get the DS from using an offhanded weapon but that is a lot of training just to be able to use a secondary attack skill. And it seems wrong to me that a warrior would have to go through all that when that is supposed to be our thing. I'll still keep the brawling for the reasons that Roblar mentioned, but as it is now it wouldn't be of much use to me while hunting like level. Someone posted it in the unarmed combat folder, and while they could have been a bit nicer about it I do agree with what was said. They could have brought the system to be more inline with current game play without wrecking it for so many people. Instead they worry about making it not so overpowered when that should be the goal, with the need for tiering up it still wouldn't match the speed of archery or casting but it would have more general use. Also seems silly to me because they've essentially created a system that will be used solely by one profession with the exception of people who are far enough post cap that such restrictions no longer matter.
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/16/2012 06:25 PM CDT

Another thing that is irking me about this whole affair, the more I think about it, goes back to what Roblar mentioned. Yet another ramification for Shield Users is that we now are forced to decide if we want to invest 1500 TPs simply so our DS with a shield in one hand and the other hand empty doesn't tank whenever we stow our weapon to pick up a gem. If we reasonably assume that it was 100% intended that someone holding a shield can no longer throw a punch or kick (ignoring for the moment that I still don't necessarily think that this entirely makes logical sense), then maybe holding a shield with an open hand should no longer be dependent on Brawling Skill to keep our DS from tanking.

If we aren't supposed to be able to use the UAC while holding a shield by design, then the additional penalty of being forced to train in Brawling just so we can pick up a diamond without getting our head taken off in the meantime seems doubly harsh should we decide we would prefer to reconsider our secondary combat style to something we can use. If the two combat skills are designed to be prohibitively incompatible, then the two aspects of the Brawling skill (the AS and the open-hand+shield DS) might warrant a re-thinking. If Brawling is now a skill for two open hands and two open hands only, then it should only impact DS for two open hands. I don't think it's fair to have it half and half, two open hands as an absolute requirement for the attacking skill, yet still affecting the defense in a negative way of someone with something (a shield) in one hand.

Otherwise, it's just another kick in the teeth to shield users (no pun intended).

>Mohrgan's player
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/18/2012 02:02 AM CDT
We're considering changes to held item penalties. I was probably overzealous in increasing them after feedback from the beta indicated that the previous penalties barely had an effect.
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 07/20/2012 11:05 PM CDT

:D

That is great to hear. I have really been enjoying the system as I have been taking it for a test drive on it on lower level creatures and would be overjoyed to be able to keep using it as a secondary with my shield and not too drastically alter my training path. Appreciate the feedback!

Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 08/09/2012 05:35 PM CDT
I'm THW user (though, I used to do OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln with my character before I converted) and I always 2X dodging and brawling, so I find the new system to be more effective. There are some downsides. Here are my thoughts...

I miss throw because it had a better guarantee of getting something prone, but grapple does way more damage and stuns more frequently. Partly because of no throw, UAC is not as good against non-corporeal undead. There's not enough chance for a knockdown or stun and you don't seem to do enough damage if you try to tier up your jabs, so you just spam punch. Smite is useless. Its duration is not even long enough to hit something, let alone kill it. I also don't use kick as much unless I'm tiered up to it since it's a 5 sec RT and I figure I might as well use a claidhmore/two-handesword/whatever for the same RT.

In general, the system works better for me. I've been doing more damage and more crits than I used to and I kill things quicker. It's very easy to get something stunned before it can hit me and then just tear it to pieces. Of course, I was already kind of built around the system, so it makes sense that it would work for me. It sucks that the OHE 1X brawling build is useless and even a 2X build seems pointless unless for RP reasons. Voln fu used to be cool in that it was so versatile. It was sort of more of a secondary or utility skill, but you could work a lot of good gimmicks with it. Way back in GS3, I had a friend who was level 12 or something and used to put on full plate, rub a haste medallion, and just punch tomb wights to death. He'd be fried in a minute. Anyway, now it's more of an all or nothing thing. I think that, for someone like me who is trained better for it, UAC is a good replacement for voln fu. In general, however, it seems voln fu is gone and UAC is something completely different. It's definitely a different way of fighting. To use an example: with voln fu I used to always open with a throw and then use punches, kicks, or weapons. With this I always start with a jab or a punch and I'm not limited to undead. Still mostly stick with the claidhmore for the living.
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 08/09/2012 05:43 PM CDT
Smite times are decent as long as you get something to tier three, excellent position. I've never had a problem crit killing things that way.
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 08/10/2012 08:48 PM CDT
Geijon is still built as a 3 weapon user. I haven't played with UAC enough to add it into my combat much as most Warriors Feint, Neck/Head crit with mauls nowdays, and I'm no different, but posts like these are helpful and I'm a pretty consistant forum reader.

-G
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 08/12/2012 12:24 PM CDT

OK!
Was wonderin meself on how i feel as a one-hander, brawlin, shield usin Voln Warrior.
When this unarmed combat came out, I was devestated! Was gonna Fixskills!
But! When they adjusted, I just found a few minor tactics kept my training skills viable!
Still testing on much lower Undead and need to try living creatures yet. But seems my current trains, to date, seems OK!

Don't git disheartened me friends! Me ole trainin still be goods!

Goldstr Aimright
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 08/12/2012 02:00 PM CDT
It's hard to train a warrior wrong; armor, shield, and a couple of weapon types. (THW plus OHE/brawling/shield lets you switch back and forth, so you can use a shield for better DS (and shield bash!) or go for inflicting heavy damage, whichever the scenario calls for).

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 08/12/2012 02:44 PM CDT
Whenever I wanted more DS, I trained in more dodge never saw a reason to use a shield. When I had joined voln many years ago I picked up brawling to use voln-fu, not needing a bless to kill undead was rather useful at times. With the changes it is easier just to bless my weapon and kill things. I keep the brawling because it is part of my character now, not really that combat effective any more though, it can be amusing to use from time to time though.
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 09/19/2012 01:08 PM CDT
>Myself, I'd see if you could push for bucklers at least to be classified as a crushing-type brawling weapon for purposes of the UAC. It makes logical and game-balance sense to me.

- Metadi, the punny one<

I know I'm a little late to the party with this reply, but I wanted to re-address this issue. I've been advocating the use of a shield to be used as a weapon for quite a few years now. Especially for a warrior, fully trained in: Sheild Use, Brawling, Two Weapon Combat, and Combat Manuvers...I don't understand why a small or medium sized shield couldn't be implemented as an off-hand weapon? Add 1-3 seconds RT according to training, and use it like any other two weapon swinging build. Historically I would say there's more than enough evidence supporting the fact that shields were implemented not only as defensive tools, but offensive weapons as well.

I remember I really wanted to see some kind of in game change that gave shields some offensive properties after watching "300", lol! But it was awesome to see them recreate spartans using their shields so effectively, both defensively and especially offensively! I'm not saying adopt shields as a brawling weapon, but we should still be able to use them as a weapon, IMO it would defintely breathe some desperately needed life back into the sword and board builds...
Re: THE discussion: The changes to Voln Fu and the OHE/Shield/Brawling Voln warrior path 09/19/2012 03:44 PM CDT
>>I remember I really wanted to see some kind of in game change that gave shields some offensive properties after watching "300", lol! But it was awesome to see them recreate spartans using their shields so effectively, both defensively and especially offensively! I'm not saying adopt shields as a brawling weapon, but we should still be able to use them as a weapon, IMO it would defintely breathe some desperately needed life back into the sword and board builds...

http://www.play.net/gs4/info/maneuvers/list.asp#shieldbash
http://www.play.net/gs4/info/maneuvers/list.asp#shieldcharge