Suggestions needed. 04/04/2013 08:47 PM CDT
Hunting area and weapon purchase.

2 handed warrior , Giantkin, about to hit level 11. I need a hunting area that can support my bank account, in order to finance my new weapon. I currently swing a Claid I found off a gobgoblin, and a military pick I got from the pawn shop. I currently have close to 100 thousand silver. How much silver should I save before investing in my first weapon, an what weapon should it be? I'm 2x in Cm and about .8x in ambush.

Really need advice as this is my first warrior, and I've been away a long time. Thank you for your time.

Nakakan
Re: Suggestions needed. 04/05/2013 12:21 AM CDT
No idea for warrior stuff, my little warrior is still low level.

If you see Malisai in game (just profile malisai), have some ranger whisper me and ill buy you 4x gear. Nothing fancy, just plain 4x of what you are using.

Player of Malisai
Re: Suggestions needed. 04/05/2013 02:22 AM CDT

If you're looking for 4x gear you're probably going to want to get a maul, or at least that's what I recommend. It's faster than a claid by 1 second and packs a pretty great punch. Plus it's crush damage.

If you're going to stick with the claid then you can keep the one you have. Enchanted claids are very expensive (1x go for around 1-2 mil, 2x for around 8mil, and the most recent 4x that I saw sold for what was around 40m). Might be a consideration for later, when the 20 AS isn't really as important as it might be now.

Are you 3x in armor? If so, you're probably pretty close to being able to wear chain shirt (40 ranks). That'd probably be a good place to start with 4x gear. The next big jump would come at 70 ranks for metal breastplate. Plus the upside of going with the torso-only armors is that you can add greaves/legplates/helmets as you increase in ranks to get to the next armor class you're trained for.
Re: Suggestions needed. 04/05/2013 02:30 AM CDT

Likewise, my new warrior is also around your level (9). I'm currently hunting thurfels island and definately wouldn't mind a partner. So if you find yourself in Icemule, let me know!
Re: Suggestions needed. 04/05/2013 04:10 AM CDT

Hobgoblin claidhs only have half the standard claidh weighting. Get backroom access (or find someone else that has it) to Tykel in the Landing and get a proper one.

Mechanically the maul is by far the best unweighted THW. It has the properties of a 9s weapon but swings at 7s.

I wouldn't train in ambush for a claidh, and I wouldn't train in it yet with a maul. With huge AGIDEX it might be worth it about level 20.

Icemule works fine for the 10-15 level range, though if you neither skin nor hunt undead you'll be wanting to move somewhere else from 15-30.

I'd take a trip and explore. Pick a town, ask the local Adventurers Guild for a bounty, and see how you get on. If you don't much like the hunting, or the company, or the lack of company, move on. Icemule is a fine place for 10-15, but you might find it problematic 15-30 if you dont skin or hunt undead.
Re: Suggestions needed. 04/07/2013 01:29 PM CDT
Definitely a 4x maul. Nasty suckers; most of my folks have one. Mattocks and flails aren't bad either, and probably easier to find. You may want to get a regular claidh also, for lesser foes. The disadvantage to one of these is that they cannot be blessed, nor can the usual 0x claidh hit critters that can only be hit with magic weapons.

I have a dinky script that I use for a new character to get backroom access to Tykel's. It doesn't matter what items you buy, just how many. So, I grab 1000 or so silver, then order a dagger, buy it, order a dagger, buy it, drop dagger, drop dagger; repeat ad nauseam. Go out every 30 or so daggers and come back in to check your status as far as backroom access goes. If you enter Tykel's and see 100 or so daggers lying on the floor, that's what they are from.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Suggestions needed. 04/07/2013 01:40 PM CDT
As a general suggestion, if scripting (or macroing or up-arrow / entering) you could always put your daggers in a large sack, and swing by the well to sploosh it.

Makes the environment so much nicer for the next person. And applies in all shops where folks are looking to gain backroom access.

Easy, and considerate. What more is needed?!

Doug
Re: Suggestions needed. 04/07/2013 03:23 PM CDT
Or re-sell them at the pawn if you can. I would not encourage people to leave 30+ things laying around.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Suggestions needed. 04/07/2013 03:53 PM CDT
>If you enter Tykel's and see 100 or so daggers lying on the floor, that's what they are from.
THROGG

Everytime I see this, I want to pick them up, find the person who was this lazy and inconsiderate and hurl them into their eyeball.

All 100 of them.

I have yet to catch someone in the act, but I'll gladly suffer the consequences of killing someone in town to show how much I dislike this (common) practice.

-farmer
Re: Suggestions needed. 04/07/2013 08:40 PM CDT
Everytime I see this, I want to pick them up, find the person who was this lazy and inconsiderate and hurl them into their eyeball.
All 100 of them.
I have yet to catch someone in the act, but I'll gladly suffer the consequences of killing someone in town to show how much I dislike this (common) practice.

Fully agree. It is the epitome of laziness to do this, when it is so, so, so easy to pick them up and dispose of them properly, for a few xp or a few coins.

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: Suggestions needed. 04/08/2013 12:02 PM CDT
But cleaning up after oneself leaves less time for bopping.

-james, bristenn's player

You think to yourself, "FFF-"
A giant white bunny hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
You evade the bolt by a hair!
Re: Suggestions needed. 04/08/2013 01:24 PM CDT

But picking up and throwing in a barrel 30,000 daggers one at a time gives a capped old fart one extra rank in underwater basket weaving!
Re: Suggestions needed. 04/08/2013 04:16 PM CDT
Hmmm, I actually never thought of sticking them into a sack for disposal. ::Blush::
OK, suggestion noted! Wilco.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Suggestions needed. 04/12/2013 02:32 PM CDT
Ordering 5 or 10 at a time works just as well for getting backroom access and you can just TOSS PACKAGE to throw them away right there on the spot.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.