Katanas 06/21/2016 09:25 PM CDT
Can we look at getting the -10 AS penalty removed with one-handed use? I think the 2x Edged requirement is enough to indicate our mastery over the weapon in one-handed combat. My Erithian Warrior would be most pleased!
Re: Katanas 06/23/2016 11:58 AM CDT
I have to agree with this since using a Katana one-handed is very expensive and adding -10 AS on top seems to further discourage it. Also, why is the penalty only applied when the off-hand is empty? I understand that Katanas have natural HCW but Katars offer a similar increase in effectiveness to the HCW from Katanas through high DFs for a base 3 RT weapon and some of the best AvDs of all the one-handed weapons against the heavier armors. All while being puncture/slash only for effective ambushing as well attrition based combat. If anything Katars should be the weapon with the -10 AS penalty if something is held in the offhand since they are the brawling hybrid.
Re: Katanas 06/23/2016 01:33 PM CDT
Not only are they the Brawling, as you mention, but they also require you to be trained in both of their weapon skills to take advantage of them fully. Not simply permitting you to be trained in a different skill, as the katana does.

So, yeah. They earn their benefit.
Re: Katanas 06/23/2016 02:03 PM CDT
I am pretty sure one handed AS with a katana uses both two-handed and one-handed skills.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack,
>Pressed to the wall, dying, but fighting back!
Re: Katanas 06/23/2016 02:23 PM CDT
Menos is correct.

Two-handed katana uses THW skill.
One-handed katana uses the average of your THW and Edged skills, just like a katar.

The other switchable weapons work as expected:

Bastard swords use only THW/Edged as appropriate.

Spears just use your polearm skill, regardless of grip, because that's how polearms work.
Re: Katanas 06/23/2016 03:51 PM CDT

That's entirely my point with Katanas. In order to use them one-handed you HAVE to train in THW and Edged. It's my understanding the -10 AS is there to show case the difficulty using a Katana one-handed yet we're effectively masters of one handed AND two handed weapons simply by training to use a Katana. -10 AS on top of the double training is a bit too much. Furthermore, THW is more expensive at 3/1 than brawling at 2/1. Katanas are the most expensive weapon to train for in the game AND have a -10 AS penalty. It's annoying.
Re: Katanas 06/23/2016 03:55 PM CDT
They do come with built-in weighting, though.

It sounds almost as though the designers let you choose which weapon you want to use in a given circumstance, no?
Re: Katanas 06/23/2016 04:12 PM CDT

My understanding was that while you could use a katana with only one hand (via training), they really aren't meant to be used in that fashion. The -10 AS is to account for the fact that the weapon is meant to be used with both hands (one for force, the second for guidance). That isn't to say that there shouldn't be a negative to AS or what have you, but I think that was the original thought.

It's been a long time since they were released though, so I could be remembering wrong.
Re: Katanas 06/23/2016 05:51 PM CDT
I dont remember what the specific reasoning was when they were released but it definitely feels excessive as it is implemented. If it is for realism then that is a slippery slope when grippable polearms, bastard swords etc. have no such limitation. Balance is probably the cause of the -10 AS but I feel having to train in two weapon skills for maximum effectiveness one-handed is steep enough.
Re: Katanas 06/24/2016 11:32 AM CDT
"I feel having to train in two weapon skills for maximum effectiveness one-handed is steep enough." -- CaveManiac

Wait, what?

If I were that sort of person, I would read this piece of sentence and think that you want to train in only a single skill [presumably 2Hand Weapons], but continue to use the katana one-handed.
Please tell me that I need not be that sort of person.

You are training in two skills in order to have the flexibility to use the weapon either 2- or 1-handedly.
Yes, there is an AS penalty when used 1-handed.
However, as noted previously, the weapon comes with free built-in weighting.
Yes, I understand that the claidhmore comes with even more built-in weighting, and no AS penalty, either, so there!
However, the claidhmore does not provide the flexibility to be used 1-handed.

Different tools for different situations. Different skillset for different tools.
Re: Katanas 06/24/2016 01:19 PM CDT
"I feel having to train in two weapon skills for maximum effectiveness one-handed is steep enough." -- CaveManiac

"Wait, what?" -- Krakii

In order to use a katana one handed, you need to train in THW as well as Edged. You cannot simply train in edged and use a katana one-handed (at least that is my recollection).

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: Katanas 06/24/2016 01:28 PM CDT
Okay, going THAT direction. <nod> Got it.

(Yes, your recollection matches what I remember now that you mention it. I just don't use katanas that often. Thanks for the reminder!)
Re: Katanas 06/24/2016 01:41 PM CDT
I read the overall point as 'why is there a -10 AS in addition to the requirement to train in two skills'.

My answer would be - while swinging a katana one handed can lead to significant painful results, the weapon is designed to use leverage in the stroke - so the 'penalty' of not getting that leverage is expressed in the system by a reduction in AS.

In truth, though - that's old school thought. While I'm fairly confident in its accuracy, it sort of is a Heisman answer to the (perhaps more) direct question of 'can we not just do away with this penalty, please?'

Doug
Re: Katanas 06/24/2016 01:57 PM CDT
Exactly what he said.
Re: Katanas 06/24/2016 02:03 PM CDT
This, though, off the wiki: https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Katana

>>There is no AS penalty if the off-hand is empty.

Doug
Re: Katanas 06/25/2016 07:57 PM CDT
Exactly, which is entirely useless. There is no reason (neither RP nor mechanical) to ever do that.
Re: Katanas 08/13/2016 09:50 PM CDT
You can get +15 DS for an empty offhand, now, if you have 0.5x in TWC. Plus its just dang convenient for looting.

I would say, depending on the creature, if you fight with a katana you might want to try 1-handed, no shield.
Re: Katanas 08/13/2016 11:16 PM CDT
<You can get +15 DS for an empty offhand, now, if you have 0.5x in TWC.>

If that applies without brawling ranks and/or a THW weapon in hand, it has to be a bug....

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.