Dual wielding whips. 11/04/2015 05:13 PM CST

A friendly reminder that as of a couple days ago, I still cannot dual wield whips. I can hold them in both hands, but only the right hand will register an attack with TWC and Blunt training.

Who broke the whips?!
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/04/2015 07:37 PM CST
>A friendly reminder that as of a couple days ago, I still cannot dual wield whips. I can hold them in both hands, but only the right hand will register an attack with TWC and Blunt training.

I was under the impression that you can't dual wield whips and has always been that way. Did it work at some point in time and I wasn't aware of it?

I'm still waiting for all one handed weapons to be allowed to be used with TWC. I know you still can't swing a ball and chain in TWC. Last I tried (month or so back) whip didn't work for me, one-handed spear didn't work, pilum didn't work.....

When can we get all one handed weapons to be used in TWC?

-Drumpel
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/04/2015 07:49 PM CST

I spoke with another player in game and they said that they could dual wield two whips about three weeks ago. I spoke to a couple GM's also in game and that they were suppose to be able to be dual wielded and that they would send the information to the appropriate person(s).

I have not personally ever dual wielded whips before, so I'm just going off on what was said by another player.

Hopefully they will look at Ball and Chains, Spears, and Pilums as well.
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/05/2015 01:50 AM CST
AFAIK, whips and whip blades were never dual-wieldable. If that has changed, it's something recent.
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/05/2015 07:56 AM CST
Weapons I know you can't dual wield:
whip-blade (I haven't tested, but I hear you can use 1 with TWC. You cannot wield 2 at the same time)
whips (may work like whip-blades, I haven't tested, but might be able to use one whip, just not two at one time)
morning star (may work like whip-blades, I haven't tested, I think only one can be used in TWC)
ball and chain (cannot utilize in TWC)
one handed spear (cannot utilize in TWC)
pilum (cannot utilize in TWC)
katana (if I remember correctly: new style can't be used. old style is falchion based, they can be used in TWC)

I think that covers the items in question.

You can wield two bastard swords gripped as OHE in TWC. So you basically have two oversized broadswords you're wielding in both hands, but you can't fully use some or others at all in the the above items in TWC? Stupid, if you ask me. Let us have our fun with one handed weapons.

I'm curious when they'll actually allow all weapons that can be held with one hand to be used in TWC.

-Drumpel
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/05/2015 11:20 AM CST
>You can wield two bastard swords gripped as OHE in TWC. So you basically have two oversized broadswords you're wielding in both hands, but you can't fully use some or others at all in the the above items in TWC? Stupid, if you ask me. Let us have our fun with one handed weapons.

This issue has been fixed. You can now no longer wield two bastard swords in TWC.

-NOTAGM PFLATS, tongue firmly in cheek
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/05/2015 02:20 PM CST
>This issue has been fixed. You can now no longer wield two bastard swords in TWC.
>NOTAGM PFLATS

So it seems....you can no longer utilize a bastard sword in TWC, period.

Back on 10/16/15 (post #120 in this folder) I could at least swing a one-handed gripped bastard sword and another OHE weapon (a falcion, in this case):

>glance
You glance down to see a bastard sword in your right hand and a scimitar in your left hand.
You swing a bastard sword at a kobold!
AS: +75 vs DS: +48 with AvD: +30 + d100 roll: +64 = +121
... and hit for 14 points of damage!
Slash to the kobold's right leg hits high!
Kinda makes your knees weak, huh?
You swing a scimitar at a kobold!
AS: +59 vs DS: +46 with AvD: +30 + d100 roll: +17 = +60
A clean miss.
Roundtime: 7 sec.

I tried using a bastard sword with a one-handed grip and a handaxe today - doesn't work. The off-hand never swings.

That sucks. Stop making stupid limitations with one-handed weapons. It's a game. It doesn't have to be perfect or be 100% like the real world. Those that train in TWC are in the same boat as THW people. You give up extra DS and skills (shield manuevers) when using TWC or THW for hopes of increased damage. Why restrict weapons in TWC that you can wield with one hand?

You already need crazy AGI/DEX to off-set the increased RT for wielding larger/slower weapons in TWC. If someone wants to swing around a couple of 6 second OHE/OHB, then let them. You spend a lot of TPs in the ability and a weapon skill (or two) and then you're restricted to specific weapons.

Say that you do take a one-handed gripped bastard sword (base RT = 6) and a morning star (base RT = 5); your TWC RT (according to the gswiki) is BaseRT1 + (BaseRT2 - 2). 6 + (5-2) = 9 seconds. To offset the high RT, you need a minimum of 38 AGI/DEX bonus to reduce the RT by -3. Most races need to start their AGI and DEX high to get the -3 reduced RT or they need to get up a chunk of levels to hit that reduction.

To me, the logic is flawed that you can utilize a large weapon (bastard sword) or a 'long' weapon (ball and chain) and get the full benefit of a shield in the left hand, but you can't utilize another weapon in the left hand.

No class really gains any benefit from using TWC. Warriors can train in CMAN PARRY...that's about it. CMAN DERVISH isn't terribly exciting, but could be useful in specific situations and Warriors and Rogues can only train in it. I can't think of any other CMAN that is beneficial to just TWC users.

Is TWC over powered in some way that I'm not seeing? Each swing is subject to EBP. Maybe I'm one of the few that this bugs, but I find it stupid to restrict any one-handed weapon for TWC use.

Weapons I know you can't dual wield - updated:
whip-blade (I haven't tested, but I hear you can use 1 with TWC. You cannot wield 2 at the same time)
whips (tested, cannot utilize in TWC)
ball and chain (cannot utilize in TWC)
one handed spear (cannot utilize in TWC)
pilum (cannot utilize in TWC)
bastard sword (cannot utilize in TWC)
katana (if I remember correctly: new style can't be used. old style is falchion based, they can be used in TWC)
morning star - can wield two for TWC

Guess I'll just wait for a good reason to be supplied as to why these weapons are restricted in TWC or for the day when they're finally given the okay to be fully used in TWC. Until then, I have one of my characters on hold and I'll just keep playing a few others that I enjoy.

-Drumpel
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/06/2015 09:43 AM CST
You can use new-style Katanas with TWC but only one at time, ie. Katana and wakizashi. Katanas also get a -10 AS when they are wielded with one hand unless your off-hand is empty.
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/06/2015 10:22 AM CST
>You can use new-style Katanas with TWC but only one at time, ie. Katana and wakizashi. Katanas also get a -10 AS when they are wielded with one hand unless your off-hand is empty.

Good to know. Thanks! I'll update my little list here now.

OHE weapons you can't use or have limitations with TWC - updated:
whips cannot utilize in TWC
ball and chain cannot utilize in TWC
one handed spear cannot utilize in TWC
pilum cannot utilize in TWC
bastard sword cannot utilize in TWC
katana New style, only one can be used in TWC. Using katana OHE gives -10 AS Old style is falchion based, they can be used in TWC)

-Drumpel
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/06/2015 07:48 PM CST

I was told that whip-blades can be dual wielded by GMs, trying to find out where to buy them at the moment. I just don't know if two whip-blades can be dual wielded at once. Going to find that out as soon as I get two.
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/06/2015 08:41 PM CST
Do a quick check of the pawnshop tables. They are pawned fairly often.
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/06/2015 11:07 PM CST
There's a shop just outside the North Gate of the Landing that sells whip-blades.... or at least there used to be, I don't know if it's finally been removed.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/07/2015 01:22 PM CST
Can't use two whip blades at once. I hope this is an RP thing, since they pretty much bite in combat.
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/07/2015 01:27 PM CST
>Can't use two whip blades at once. I hope this is an RP thing, since they pretty much bite in combat.

Weapon strengths/weaknesses in general are a mess. Why they haven't overhauled them is beyond me.

The GMs have shown they're perfectly willing to buff monsters in the form of new spells and lore-based buffs, but they won't overhaul weaponry in a similar fashion. It can't be for balance reasons on the monster side of things. I can only guess there is simply a lack of desire to see meaningful change in this regard. That, or the systems themselves are so archaic they're not seen as worth the bother.
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/07/2015 01:28 PM CST
<<
The GMs have shown they're perfectly willing to buff monsters in the form of new spells and lore-based buffs, but they won't overhaul weaponry in a similar fashion. It can't be for balance reasons on the monster side of things. I can only guess there is simply a lack of desire to see meaningful change in this regard. That, or the systems themselves are so archaic they're not seen as worth the bother. >>

Or maybe its more "There's only so many of us and only so many hours in the day." ;)

SGM Sleken
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/07/2015 02:02 PM CST
>>Or maybe its more "There's only so many of us and only so many hours in the day." ;)

Isn't that what Daylights savings time was for, to give you that extra hour just to make those whip blades dual wieldable weapons of wonder?
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/07/2015 02:14 PM CST
>Or maybe its more "There's only so many of us and only so many hours in the day."

Changes are made to this game all the time. Changes which require the allocation of GM development. So it's a matter of GMs not giving it enough of a priority to allocate manpower to it. There's nothing wrong with that, it simply is.
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/07/2015 08:31 PM CST
>Or maybe its more "There's only so many of us and only so many hours in the day." ;)
>SGM Sleken

Yeah! A NIR does see our lowly posts in here! We have been noticed....

So, what's it going to take to have you guys switch over all one handed weapons to be allowed with TWC?

-Drumpel
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/07/2015 08:36 PM CST
I have no influence on combat related coding.

SGM Sleken
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/08/2015 01:08 PM CST
<I have no influence on combat related coding.

<SGM Sleken

A crowd of various races of Elanthia gather with their children to witness SGM Sleken and they are armed with whips and whip-blades. They hear his words and are angered into motion! The crowd churns with furious rage as the sounds of cracked whips and whishing whip-blades snap and hum through the air! The relentless assault upon SGM Sleken is like that of a summer time breeze wafting through the air that it doesn't even seem to effect him in the slightest - no, it would seem he hardly even knows he is being assaulted!

"He is immune to our weapons!" one of the crowd yells in awe.

"Quickly! Run for your lives before he strikes us down with bolts of lightning!" another screams in panic.

"Hide the children! Hide them in the darkest places so he can never find them!" yet another crowd member bellows with worry.

The crowd grabs their children and disperses in various directions with haste as they toss their ineffective weapons to the ground.
Another crowd off in the distance looks upon them with smirks and jibes. They are outfitted in massive claidhmores, elegant katanas, and other far superior weapons.

"Oh, look at the poor fools and their feeble weapons! Ha ha!" one of the other crowd members jeers at the pathetic other crowd.

"Such a sad sight, I always thought those whips and such were just toys! My daughter has one! Ha ha ha!" another of the crowd roars with laughter.

"Why would they even try to hunt with those? Surely this must be a joke!" yet another of the other crowd asks somewhat seriously.

One of the children from the original crowd slips back and snatches a whip and runs towards SGM Sleken. The child rears his arm back with the whip in hand and sends it arcing overhead in a vicious circle before snapping it towards SGM Sleken. The whip thrums through the air as the tip of it strikes against SGM Sleken's hair and barely causes his fine hair to move. Horrified and scared, the child shrieks and flees towards the monstrous lands, screaming all the way.

One of the other crowd members with his massive claidhmore resting upon his shoulder looks at the fleeing child and asks, "Huh. You think we should stop the child before the kid gets hurt?"

"Nah, we'll fetch him from the Adventurers guild. We'll at least get paid for our trouble." says another of the other crowd.

"Huh. Yea, you're right! We'll get paid for it! Ha ha ha! Good thinking!" laughs the one with the massive claidhmore upon his shoulder.

And so, this is how the orphans came to be in Elanthia and why the Adventurers guild has missing children for bounties. Won't you stop the needless suffering of the children of Elanthia and reunite them with their shamed and pathetic families? Give whips and whip-blades a chance. Make them better.

Unite the whips! Unite the whip-blades!

-cheers-
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/08/2015 07:25 PM CST
Hehe.
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/10/2015 11:04 PM CST

You CANNOT use whip-blades in TWC.
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/11/2015 07:52 AM CST
>You CANNOT use whip-blades in TWC.

You can't wield two at once? Or you cannot even use one of them?

The ball and chain, for example, the off-hand never swings if you're wielding a ball and chain. This weapon you CANNOT use with TWC at all. I just want to clarify. Thanks.

-Drumpel
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/13/2015 11:00 PM CST

If you have a whip-blade and anything else in your left hand, only the weapon in your right hand will swing. I'll log in and see if I can swing the whip-blade in my left with something else in my right.
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/16/2015 08:37 AM CST
>If you have a whip-blade and anything else in your left hand, only the weapon in your right hand will swing. I'll log in and see if I can swing the whip-blade in my left with something else in my right.

Sounds just like how a pilum, whips, one-handed spear, ball and chain and bastard sword works. Thanks for the update.

-Drumpel
Re: Dual wielding whips. 11/22/2015 02:05 AM CST

So, any word on being able to dual wield whips, whip-blades, or the like? Is it being reviewed? Anything right now would be helpful in regards to information on being able to dual wield the weapons mentioned on this thread.
Re: Dual wielding whips. 12/03/2015 07:17 PM CST
So, for a nice Christmas present you guys are allowing all weapons that are held with one hand to be used with two weapon combat, right?

No reply means I'm right (I can hope).

-Drumpel
Re: Dual wielding whips. 12/07/2015 05:44 AM CST
I think they should enable all these whips and chains and other long lengths of rope.

After you swing both of them, they get tangled around your legs, and you fall over...

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Dual wielding whips. 12/07/2015 06:47 AM CST
>After you swing both of them, they get tangled around your legs, and you fall over...

no no no...after swinging you have a 50%- seed 10 summation on swimming ranks for them to tangle up and make you fall.

No seriously...it would be cool if they had a random chance to trip or disarm on attack based on CM skill with ranks in CMAN skill improving success. If you are going to restrict them from one feature (TWC) they should get some type of bonus result somewhere else.
Re: Dual wielding whips. 12/07/2015 07:15 PM CST

Any official word on this yet? Is it being looked at? Any word in regards to dual wielding any of the aforementioned weapons would be appreciated - I'm talking to you, GM... whomever-that-can-answer-the-questions-at-hand!

If damn gnomes and halflings can wield claids, we should be able to dual wield the weapons in this thread! I saw a gnome with a "small steel claidmore" about a week ago. Small... steel claidmore? Small? Uh. Wait. What? Small to a gnome or a half-giant? If it's smaller than a normal claidmore, does it still make it a claidmore?

WHAT FOUL MAGIC IS THIS?!
Re: Dual wielding whips. 12/07/2015 08:23 PM CST
I shall call it......a mini-claidhmore.

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: Dual wielding whips. 12/07/2015 11:12 PM CST
<I saw a gnome with a "small steel claidmore" about a week ago. Small... steel claidmore? Small? Uh. Wait. What? Small to a gnome or a half-giant? If it's smaller than a normal claidmore, does it still make it a claidmore?>

ah, yes.... those. they were sold oFf the shelf years ago. in the hands of a giantman yoU wouLd see it as "a Large dagger" and in the hands OF an elf or human it would be "an average falchion... with itS df cHangIng to maTch the race of whoever's holding it.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.