One handed weapons you can't use with TWC... 10/15/2015 10:15 AM CDT
Out of morbid curiosity, is it a balance issue or strictly a mechanic (coding) issue to not allow some one handed weapons to be used with TWC? I don't want to hear some mumbo-jumbo talk about how it shouldn't be possible to use certain OHE/OHB weapons with TWC due to the nature of the item.

Take a ball and chain for example, I couldn't utilize one with TWC while holding other types of weapons (cudgel, mace, etc), I never get a second swing regardless of what hand the ball and chain is in. Why can you use a ball and chain with a shield? Shouldn't the logic be that the off-hand item would be unusable? You're swinging a one handed weapon that won't work with another weapon in the off hand, but your shield will?

I don't see any kind of balance issue with weapons that can't be used with TWC to be changed to allow it.

whips (last I checked couldn't be)
ball and chain
one handed spear
pilum
whip-blade (I don't recall if you can TWC with these, not without testing)
other OHE/OHB weapons that I missed???

If a weapon is allowed to be handled with one hand, they should be allowed to be used with TWC. Now, if it's a coding issue and there's no way around it without a re-work, then that's a different story. I'd like to believe the flag to allow the weapon to work with TWC should be flipped and viola! The weapons that weren't working with TWC now do.

Most weapons that don't work with TWC are kind of lackluster and people avoid them anyway. Bring some spice of variety to these gloomy weapons. Give them some love.

-Drumpel
Re: One handed weapons you can't use with TWC... 10/15/2015 11:46 AM CDT
Speaking of whip-blades, I simply could not resist picking up the 'acid-pitted mithril-tipped whip-blade' (Hyphenated-Madness!) at the pawnshop the other day.

Despite the description, it was neither acid-flaring nor +5.

It's nearly up to +20.

Anyone interested in it, simply as an object lesson in I Will Hurt Your Eyes?
Re: One handed weapons you can't use with TWC... 10/15/2015 12:22 PM CDT
>Despite the description, it was neither acid-flaring nor +5.

Odd. I remember when I purchased an 'acid-pitted mithril handaxe' years back. At the time, I thought it was one of the coolest weapons my rogue every came across. I only ever saw the normal 411 e-blade type flares on weapons. This was the first acid one I had seen.

And yes, it was the normal +5 and flared acid.

Back on topic - so, when can expect all OHE/OHB and the couple of one-handed grip polearms to be used in TWC?

-Drumpel
Re: One handed weapons you can't use with TWC... 10/15/2015 02:51 PM CDT
one handed spear

This has bothered me in the past, because I really wanted to play a 'hunter' type character, with an axe in the right hand, and a spear in the left hand. Ah well.

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: One handed weapons you can't use with TWC... 10/16/2015 07:18 AM CDT
Ball and chain is too slow for TWC. Are any 6s base weapons allowed with TWC? I thought it was only on a statue that you found 2 bastard swords.

A ball and chain is basically a mace that takes 2s longer to swing, you might not notice the RT penalty in one handed use, since both 4 and 6s have a 5s minimum but the RT would be horrible in TWC.
Re: One handed weapons you can't use with TWC... 10/16/2015 08:12 AM CDT
Ball and chain is too slow for TWC. Are any 6s base weapons allowed with TWC? I thought it was only on a statue that you found 2 bastard swords.

>grip sword
You grip the bastard sword with one hand.

>get sci
You remove a scimitar from in your leather backpack.

>glance
You glance down to see a bastard sword in your right hand and a scimitar in your left hand.

You swing a bastard sword at a kobold!
AS: +75 vs DS: +48 with AvD: +30 + d100 roll: +64 = +121
... and hit for 14 points of damage!
Slash to the kobold's right leg hits high!
Kinda makes your knees weak, huh?
You swing a scimitar at a kobold!
AS: +59 vs DS: +46 with AvD: +30 + d100 roll: +17 = +60
A clean miss.
Roundtime: 7 sec.

This would be a similar setup that I was curious to doing with a ball and chain and mace (6 second and 4 second weapons). With the character in question, he should swing the weapons in 6 seconds....but I can't say for certain due to ball and chain not working with TWC.

You can swing a big, heavy OHE in TWC, but you can't do it with a ball and chain.

So, when will the NIRs allow all one handed weapons to be used with TWC?

-Drumpel