Need some quarterstaff love 02/06/2011 03:05 PM CST
Eh, I'm bored so I figured I'd toss out a couple of suggestions; though they've probably been brought up many times before.

1) Drop the RT on quarterstaves to 4sec. They hit like a wet noodle compared to other THWs and the feature that you can TRIP with this weapon doesn't off-set the DF differences when compared to other THWs.
- Not to mention that TRIP doesn't work that great unless you waste putting CM points into cman TRIP. Such a bland cman to try and disable targets with. I say, remove cman TRIP and allow players to use TRIP like they could in the past....but I know this won't happen

2) Allow quarterstaves to strike twice - incur an extra two seconds of RT. Allow players to train down a second with enough DEX/REF or just plain flat out THW ranks (40 ranks....maybe 60 ranks?).
- Use the GRIP verb to allow players to enable or disable the double strike feature of a quarterstaff

Just being bored....it's a couple of ideas.

-Drumpel
Re: Need some quarterstaff love 02/06/2011 03:45 PM CST
And in the mean time please stop making them for festival merchants. Build some other useful kind of THW for us to buy. :)
Re: Need some quarterstaff love 02/06/2011 09:52 PM CST
Even if they dropped the rt to four seconds, gave them double hits, and allowed the trip verb to be used based on ranks in THW people still wouldn't use them. I also think they should have revised trip with the cman changes and dropped the rt for that down to 3 seconds like hamstring.
Re: Need some quarterstaff love 02/07/2011 01:45 AM CST
>1) Drop the RT on quarterstaves to 4sec. They hit like a wet noodle compared to other THWs and the feature that you can TRIP with this weapon doesn't off-set the DF differences when compared to other THWs.
- Not to mention that TRIP doesn't work that great unless you waste putting CM points into cman TRIP. Such a bland cman to try and disable targets with. I say, remove cman TRIP and allow players to use TRIP like they could in the past....but I know this won't happen

I agree entirely with the dropping the quarterstaff to 4 seconds and possibly put a few other weapons in lower RT bases as well. I think trip should be left at the same cost currently, but it should cause damage as per an unbalance flare with all 5 ranks in the CMAN skill.

>2) Allow quarterstaves to strike twice - incur an extra two seconds of RT. Allow players to train down a second with enough DEX/REF or just plain flat out THW ranks (40 ranks....maybe 60 ranks?).
- Use the GRIP verb to allow players to enable or disable the double strike feature of a quarterstaff

I think this is plausible, but the double-striking staff attacks should get separate DFs from a single strike staff attack instead of increased RT.
Good with flaring staves. Not particularly strong with the actual blow. Hasted wizards could actually make some pretty good use of an e-bladed staff? Interesting!
Warriors bonded to a staff could easily master TRIP and also get some pretty good attack streaks in with a bonded staff with a quick focused Mstrike recovery time on top of double-striking with each attack when using an Mstrike, guaranteed flares or stacked damage weighting?
Paladin with a double-striking bonded staff (now has spell flares) = lots of spell flares!

-James-
player of Fremie

Mirayam says, "You are not a rogue, sir."

Mirayam exclaims, "You are noble!"
Re: Need some quarterstaff love 02/07/2011 06:34 AM CST
Quarterstaffs.. Quartarstaves.. whatever.. should move to polearm skill and be improved and updated along with all the other slow, useless types like the halberd, jeddart axe, and hammer of kai. The nag, while also fairly useless, at least has the improved avd bump.
Re: Need some quarterstaff love 02/07/2011 10:06 AM CST
<<Warriors bonded to a staff could easily master TRIP and also get some pretty good attack streaks in with a bonded staff with a quick focused Mstrike recovery time on top of double-striking with each attack when using an Mstrike, guaranteed flares or stacked damage weighting?>>

Some good ideas, but not sure if you mean that warriors that are bonded would also get double strikes from the bonding during mstrikes. If so, that is not the case (not on mstrikes, berserk, or cmans). Unless you mean if they attack or open ambush in between mmstrikes?
Re: Need some quarterstaff love 10/19/2011 09:46 AM CDT
Time to bump this old thread. Proposed quarterstaff changes:

-Quarterstaves become a hybrid weapon THW/TWC
-GRIP changes between single attacking or attacking with both ends
-When GRIPed for dual attacks the offhand weapon is a copy of the mainhand but treated as if its base RT is 0
-Offhand parry DS formula applied to quarterstaves

Thoughts?

Keith/Brinret

Yes, a capped character can definitely hold their ground a lot better than a level 2 druid.
GM Wyrom

Wyrom promised us druids!