bastard swords 01/17/2011 07:27 PM CST
i've a question about this particular sword, as I am thinking of bringing up a two hander. Thats something I have never done, so I am at a bit of a loss with the weapons.

What I specifically am attempting to decide is,, a bastard sword, that sung to says it requires skill in one handed can or cannot be swung by two handed?

Secondly, how does a two handed swing with a bastard sword compare to a crit weighted maul, or claidmore in the ability to take things down. I understand the AvD is different,and the sword seems at least on paper to get more hits, but throw in the weighting and how does the maul compare?
Re: bastard swords 01/17/2011 07:41 PM CST
Firstly, you use the GRIP verb to swap inbetween swinging a bastard sword one-handed or two-handed.

As far as how hard it hits, here's a lot of information about them along with both the DF's for their one-handed and two-handed uses: http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Bastard_sword

Bastard swords definitely don't hit as hard as anything crit weighted. One of their best advantages is that they have a very good speed for how hard they do hit. And are one of the easiest weapons to get the RT down on.

Also, here's a link to a DF chart for all the two-handers: http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Two-Handed_Weapons

It's a good place to compare and contrast them to decide what you'd really like to use or what might be better in one situation versus another.

-Adam

"You guys took all the pretty places." ~Anonymous
Re: bastard swords 01/17/2011 09:01 PM CST
Bastard swords are mostly for warriors, or the occasional rogue or paladin. They don't hit as hard as a true two handed weapon, but they give you a certain flexibility in their usage. You can grip them 2 handed for more striking power, or use them one handed with a shield, for better DS. So, you might want a shield in use when fighting a bolt casting critter, then later on stow the shield and change grip when fghting something different.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: bastard swords 01/17/2011 10:50 PM CST
>What I specifically am attempting to decide is,, a bastard sword, that sung to says it requires skill in one handed can or cannot be swung by two handed?

The loresong is probably triggering off how the bard is GRIPping it and would say 2-handed if sung to after the GRIP was changed.

The main trade off with speed is being able to get another action off before the critter responds. It isn't that you can get 7 strikes in 42 seconds with a 6 sec RT and 6 strikes in 42 seconds with a 7 second RT, its that the extra second can be the difference between you getting the next action and the critter getting the next action. You won't see many critters that fast that it makes much difference at low level, but at higher levels critters get faster and that extra second can make all the difference for some characters.

At low level one of the slower THW weapons will work best, but if you don't have the AGIDEX to bring an aimed shot down to the minimum RT, a faster weapon becomes more attractive as you level up.