Quarter staff 03/17/2013 03:06 PM CDT
I'm trying to gather information on the quarter staff. How many people actually use one? Is this an item that you might use when you are very young then trade out of it as soon as possible? Does anyone use cross train ranged and THW's in order to use the bow as a quarter staff?

The reason I'm asking is that I wonder if there would be any damage done to THW users if the quarter staff disappeared so any opionions along those lines are appreciated.
Re: Quarter staff 03/17/2013 04:49 PM CDT
I use them periodically, but it's generally only when loot hunting and I want to be able to carry more while still keeping a low RT and don't need the effectiveness of a maul or something else. Pretty limited use case.

I did use one when hunting TK's with my paladin in prime. Fast mstrike's helped me out a bit there, but really it was mostly for the novelty and I would have done just as well with any other THW.

As for them disappearing.. I would like to understand why. I don't see any benefit in reducing people's choices for how they outfit their characters.
Re: Quarter staff 03/27/2013 08:05 PM CDT
>The reason I'm asking is that I wonder if there would be any damage done to THW users if the quarter staff disappeared so any opionions along those lines are appreciated.

I'm sure there are a few people who like them, though I don't think it would "nerf" THW by any means.

If anything, I think quarter staff base RT should be reduced to 4 seconds, since it has no other redeeming characteristics.

>"Walkar says, "Yes, too many kings never work. Especially when there's only one throne. It's a wicked game."
>Shameless plug.
Re: Quarter staff 03/27/2013 08:45 PM CDT
<<<If anything, I think quarter staff base RT should be reduced to 4 seconds, since it has no other redeeming characteristics.>>>

Good idea. It's a shame such a fundamental weapon is so unloved. In the right hands, a staff can be an amazingly versatile and effective weapon. I don't think a reduction in base RT would be out of line. I'd especially love to see some staff-specific CMANs. At the very least, it'd be nice to be able to spin one.

~ Heathyr
Re: Quarter staff 03/28/2013 12:29 AM CDT
I'm wondering if it wouldn't be best for the game if the quarter staff was turned into a brawling weapon. This fits perfectly with Monks right? Unfortunately no one who train THW is going to go through life swinging a quarter staff.

Bows also melee as a quarter staff. I bet a lot more archers cross train in brawling than in THW's so it would give bows an opportunity to be used for something other than shooting arrows. It'd be great fun for me to see the Monks using quarter staffs and the UCS/Ranged fighters take a shot, then crack a critter in the head with their bow.
Re: Quarter staff 03/28/2013 08:53 AM CDT
Since it's usually going to be used in a twirling, spinning motion--not so much 'jabbed', like a pointy lance--the currently-sucky quarterstaff should be assumed to be swung with this end and then automatically swung with that end, to try and hit again.
In the (I agree, it should be!) reduced base RT of 4s.
With full AS.
And chance to flare as usual.

Yes, this would basically be the poor man's coraesine weapon. But with a sucky DF. Basically, the flares would be what would make it a worthwhile weapon.

I wanna be first in line to buy a coraesine quarterstaff....
Re: Quarter staff 03/28/2013 09:38 AM CDT
>I'm wondering if it wouldn't be best for the game if the quarter staff was turned into a brawling weapon. This fits perfectly with Monks right?
WOLFFC3

I doubt you'd have anyone complaining if you turned quarterstaffs into UAC 'shields' that mimic a runestaff and magical ranks, but subbing in UAC ranks. Make it a pure defensive weapon with a few fun (new) quarterstaff only CMans attached to disable/stun, rather than damage. Rebalance flares come easily to mind for the first one.

-farmer
Re: Quarter staff 03/29/2013 05:30 PM CDT
This may be the way to get 1202 monks some CvA.
Re: Quarter staff 04/11/2013 08:44 AM CDT
Quarterstaves are bad....really bad. I tried building a warrior around a translucent vultite alloy quarterstaff once (masterful crit weighting) and it was still so bad that I just couldn't stand it.

That being said, I've been given to understand that for high level rogues quarterstaves rock for head hunting. It's worth noting that when I sold my tranny staff, it sold fast and for a lot.

As for making quarterstaves better, I think that the RT reduction is a good idea, sort of turn them into the katar of THW such that some character builds might be based around mstriking with them. Even with the RT reduction, however, their dF would still have to be like...doubled, at least for chain and plate. Personally I think it's a shame that so many weapon bases are just flatout useless, especially ones like staves and halberds, whose designs are so good that they spontaneously appeared in multiple cultures throughout history.

Player of Kilshaar
Re: Quarter staff 04/28/2013 09:26 AM CDT
I'd like the Quarter staff lowered to 4 seconds base RT. It would make the weapon have a use when hunting at low level against things that attack every 5 seconds.
Re: Quarter staff 06/25/2013 10:59 AM CDT
I second this. Something, anything, has to be done if these mechanically 'bad' weapon bases are ever going to be used more. No doubt a bunch of nay-sayers will jump in and say something like "I CAPPED IN 7 YEARS USING A QUARTER STAFF!", but as I have no doubt we all know they're just bad. I tried to make a little ranger work with a translucent staff once, and even with the masterful crit weighting it was still laughable.

It wouldn't hurt if there were more high end examples of the bad weapon bases released into the game as well. Maybe have an ironic merchant who has decided to sell his collection of uber ball & chains, quarter staves, and halberds ever since seeing a claidhmore in action.

Player of Kilshaar
Re: Quarter staff 06/26/2013 08:32 AM CDT

Yeah I think I've complained before when merchants with THW inventories use a slot to sell a quarterstaff heh. They and several other weapon bases certainly could use some upgrading, however I would caution against tying it into use by a monk. You would be consigning it to oblivion if your proposal would somehow benefit monks. :)
Re: Quarter staff 06/26/2013 10:33 AM CDT
It'd be neat if martial professions received passive bonuses for certain weapon types. Monks and quarterstaves would certainly work.

!>tell child to be quiet
The child cries, "I don't wanna!"
Re: Quarter staff 06/26/2013 03:12 PM CDT
It would certainly put my monk's quarterstaff-based fishing pole to some amusing use.
Re: Quarter staff 06/26/2013 05:47 PM CDT

sounds like some folks are desperately fishing for improvements to their staffs

Thuunk
Re: Quarter staff 06/26/2013 05:51 PM CDT

I caught that ...
Re: Quarter staff 06/26/2013 09:07 PM CDT

So your just now figuring out now that when you swing a runestaff its just a quaterstaff? some people want thier spell defense and be able to beat some with thier staff.Me i just like taken em away and beating em with the wet noodle to death.
Re: Quarter staff 06/26/2013 10:28 PM CDT
I think at least monks should have some special skills with staves. It's the most basic, fundamental weapon in just about every system of martial arts. And in the hands of an expert, it can be absolutely brutal. It's also an excellent defensive weapon. If these defensive qualities were present in the staff (a parry bonus, for example) it might make it more appealing for some. There are many possibilities, but somehow this basic weapon needs some kind of improvement.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Quarter staff 06/27/2013 01:03 PM CDT
Also, I'm sure it's been said, but you should be able to 'grip' a quarterstaff to use it in conjunction with TWC and it's minimum RT should be 4 seconds. I know, I know, this would break the game. So, anyone got a perfect 7x HCW Lance for sale I can used on my paladin with maxxed lore Arm of the Arkati?

Player of Kilshaar
Re: Quarter staff 06/27/2013 02:15 PM CDT
>Also, I'm sure it's been said, but you should be able to 'grip' a quarterstaff to use it in conjunction with TWC and it's minimum RT should be 4 seconds.
ZENNSUNNI

I really don't see the rationale in this.

-farmer
>He's right on all counts. ~Vanah
>Farmer is 100% correct. -REIDYN
Re: Quarter staff 06/28/2013 12:05 PM CDT
>I really don't see the rationale in this.

You don't see the rationale in being able to use both ends of a quarterstaff to make multiple strikes as though one were using a weapon in each hand? In most table top RPG systems (and Gemstone is one of these, mechanically speaking), staves can be used with the dual wield mechanics. Most famously, this is the case in D&D since 3rd edition (dunno if you could in 2nd?). Above and beyond the wide precedent, I frankly don't feel like you're being very forthcoming and this seems like a troll to me. If not, please continue.

Staves have been used as weapons in most cultures still extant today, and in the most evolved forms of combat using them, they're hardly held like a giant baseball bat a la two-handed weapon skill. In the following video, you'll see a staff being used with great fluidity from hand to hand. Now, if you "don't see the rationale" in allowing such a weapon to be used in conjunction with TWC, then I think communication between us on this matter is unlikely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG4Pn_oVYCo

Player of Kilshaar
Re: Quarter staff 06/28/2013 01:25 PM CDT
Hey Zen,

I agree, many staff techniques are more akin to two-weapon styles, with both ends of the weapon used in rapid succession. At the same time, the actual technique involved is quite different from two-weapon combat. That's why I think the staff really deserves a special category in and of itself. Employing two-weapon mechanics certainly doesn't seem unreasonable, although I'd prefer to see a whole new set of mechanics for this classic weapon.

~ Heathyr and friends

Re: Quarter staff 06/28/2013 01:35 PM CDT
I was really hoping to see something come out for this with the implementation of monks. I get that the Gemstone UAC is UNARMED combat but I still see using a quarter staff as more of an extension of martial arts (and therefore an extension of UAC) than of TWC or THW combat.

-- Robert
Re: Quarter staff 06/28/2013 05:21 PM CDT
>You don't see the rationale in being able to use both ends of a quarterstaff to make multiple strikes as though one were using a weapon in each hand?
ZENNSUNNI

Your original idea didn't describe what you wanted in such detail. Instead it simply said..

>"Also, I'm sure it's been said, but you should be able to 'grip' a quarterstaff to use it in conjunction with TWC and it's minimum RT should be 4 seconds."

... which says to me: Quarterstaff+another weapon (because of the TWC). Having two built-in strikes with a quarterstaff is an entirely different suggestion and one I've always thought should happen by default. Maybe not 4 seconds, but certainly a reasonable 5 with decent AgiDex.

Random fact: There are 're-balance' flares (combat script) that mimic this. You don't often see them because the GM who originally released it is gone, and it's been released maybe twice, and whomever owns it now hasn't released it since.

>I was really hoping to see something come out for this with the implementation of monks. I get that the Gemstone UAC is UNARMED combat but I still see using a quarter staff as more of an extension of martial arts (and therefore an extension of UAC) than of TWC or THW combat.
-- Robert

A pure weapon/arrow parrying/blocking weapon comes to mind with no or minimal DS gain (considered bare handed) with the ability to use for CMans like disarm. Then give it a grapple type effect where it only does setups (stuns/knockdowns) but no actual HP damage. Base it on MOC even for double dipped benefits, but no real need to train in an actual weapon skill.

-farmer
>He's right on all counts. ~Vanah
>Farmer is 100% correct. -REIDYN
>Farmer is correct -Wyrom
Re: Quarter staff 06/28/2013 05:57 PM CDT
A pure weapon/arrow parrying/blocking weapon comes to mind with no or minimal DS gain (considered bare handed) with the ability to use for CMans like disarm. Then give it a grapple type effect where it only does setups (stuns/knockdowns) but no actual HP damage. Base it on MOC even for double dipped benefits, but no real need to train in an actual weapon skill.

My monk could definitely get into something along those lines.

-- Robert