NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 04/08/2018 04:04 PM CDT
>You remove a sturdy modwir chest from in your elven-crafted robe.
>ring chime
>You ring the chime, and ask Tisanoff if he can open your modwir chest.
>He looks over the modwir chest, frowns, and tells you, "Havin' some trouble, eh? Of course I could open this, but it'll cost ya. Gimme 3584 silvers, and I'll have it open before you know it."
>pay 3584
>Tisanoff accepts your silvers.
>Having paid, you place a sturdy modwir chest on the table. Then, Tisanoff turns his attention to the modwir chest and deftly disarms a small trap, and then picks the lock with ease. "There you go," he says matter-of-factly as he hands your chest back to you.
>open chest
>You open a sturdy modwir chest.
>get coins
>You gather the remaining 2367 coins from inside your modwir chest.
>Roundtime: 2 sec.
>l in chest
>There is nothing in there.

..Seriously?

I get it, hunting pressure etc etc. I get it, the NPC locksmith is a time-saving convenience and I should expect it to cost.

But costing more silver to open the box than the value of what is in it? This is from Nelemar, one of the capped hunting areas in the game. The loot is already, on the average, lousy(to put it mildly)..but coming out of a hunt with less coin than I would have if I just left the boxes sitting on the ground? That is utterly ridiculous. And it is far from uncommon.

Avaia, player of
Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 04/08/2018 04:20 PM CDT
Make friends with a locksmith or someone that knows 125. Paying for the NPC smith only makes sense if you're hunting in the richest hunting grounds the game has to offer and even then you're wasting silver.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 04/08/2018 06:02 PM CDT
>find starch

>There are no adventurers questing that match the names specified.

..so where are ya when I need ya?

But seriously... you know me, Starchitin. You know I know the options. The point is still valid that using the locksmith and losing silvers on the deal, is ludicrous.

Avaia, player of
Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 04/08/2018 08:07 PM CDT
It's not the silvers, it's the other stuff that you come out ahead on. Gems, pawnable items, any Enhancives or other items.

I just wrote a half-dozen messages about it last week.
Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 04/08/2018 08:42 PM CDT
Yeah, I think all that's known.

I think what's missing is that's one box.

Do that over a hundred boxes and come out behind 10% in the total tally, and I'll be impressed.

Doug
Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 04/09/2018 04:39 AM CDT
>It's not the silvers, it's the other stuff that you come out ahead on. Gems, pawnable items, any Enhancives or other items.

If operating under trading penalties e.g. elf on Teras, you'll get charged like this.
Marginal cost for extra 1k silvers in a box - about 250
Marginal cost for extra 1k scroll in a box - about 1050

Pawnables are only worth having in a box if you hit the charge limit (or actually want to keep and use rather than pawn), otherwise you make minimal profit and possibly a loss from having it in the box.

There are a lot of boxes left for the janitor in Nelemar, and if you don't have someone waiting to open them for the experience, and aren't permanently lootboosted, its the sensible thing to do. Nelemar is trivially easy to hunt compared to other capped hunting grounds and you pay for that convenience with rock bottom loot.
Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 04/09/2018 09:18 AM CDT
"Nelemar is trivially easy to hunt compared to other capped hunting grounds" -- Rathboner

Looks like "Cause"...

"and you pay for that convenience with rock bottom loot." -- ibid

...and "Effect".

Hunting pressure adjustment, anyone?
Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 04/09/2018 09:43 AM CDT
I dont want to make light of an issue that someone is a bit peeved about enough to post it in the forums, but when i step back and look at the situation objectively i can only shake my head. My cleric is lvl 16 and has literally found a whopping 2, yes 2 boxes like this out of at least 100. So 2%. I have easily made half a million silvers on the others. Sorry, but your complaint isnt even close to being justified. Its like complaining about every other rsndom event that hapoens in game from artisian and guild failures to when armor decides to activate its hindrance and cause that critical spell to fail. Best advice i can give is face palm snd move on.

I got fired from the keyboard factory....turns out i was not putting in enough shifts
Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 04/09/2018 09:54 AM CDT
Yer, hunting pressure is why I generally advise people against super specialized builds. The more you can adapt to different hunting grounds, the less likely you're going to be forced to spend time hunting in the over-hunted ones.

It's also something I tend to keep my mouth shut about when folk complain about my favorite hunting spots. They can go ahead and give up on them without bothering to figure out how easy they really can be for the amount of loot they generate.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 04/09/2018 10:21 AM CDT
<My cleric is lvl 16 and has literally found a whopping 2, yes 2 boxes like this out of at least 100.>

Comparing level 16 hunting and near/post cap hunting in terms of loot is like comparing apples and oranges.

At low/mid levels there are so many options that just about any build should be able to find some place to hunt that has decent, if not good, loot. Starting in the 70's the choices narrow down significantly though, with only a few choices at some level ranges.

Unfortunately, much of the hunting grounds post level 75ish tend to be geared towards specific professions or build types, forcing others to just one or two over-hunted spots. In the late 90's this has somewhat lessened with the introduction of the Confluence and Red Forest, but I still advise folk to make as much silver as they can from levels 30-65ish cause it drops way off after that point. Near/post cap it can get really difficult to make mountains of silver just from hunting. My characters in their 40s and 50s have no problem bringing in a million silvers in the time it takes them to get through a Gift of Luminis, but the two I have in their 70's are lucky if they bring in 100k in the same amount of time.

Starchitin

Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 04/09/2018 12:00 PM CDT
"In the late 90's this has somewhat lessened with the introduction of the ... Red Forest" -- Starchitin

What do I now know about the Red Forest?
(Because I'm in the mid-80s right now, and about done with the trivially easy treekin/looking for a harder challenge to age out to.)

Is there a fifth, hidden, section, beyond the treekin? Or does the elf-side access have harder beasties in it?
Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 04/09/2018 12:08 PM CDT
> I dont want to make light of an issue that someone is a bit peeved about enough to post it in the forums, but when i step back and look at the situation objectively i can only shake my head. My cleric is lvl 16 and has literally found a whopping 2, yes 2 boxes like this out of at least 100. So 2%. Sorry, but your complaint isnt even close to being justified.

Spend a number of years post-cap hunting, then get back to me. I guarantee you your opinion will be different.

Avaia, player of
Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 04/09/2018 12:32 PM CDT
It occurs to me that loot depression might be partly responsible. Wasn't there a mechanic put in place some time back that lessens the value of treasure if you underhunt? In capped areas we are almost forced to sometimes underhunt by default. In Nelemar, for example, all mixed together are creatures from levels 93-105 or so. At 100, does anything I get from a level 93 critter suffer some sort of negative adjustment? If so, I wonder if there is a mechanic that could be put in place to mitigate this.

Avaia, player of
Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 04/09/2018 04:59 PM CDT
I know that treasure can come from Bounties, but the primary payoff of the Adventurer Guild is the Bounty Points and those benefits.

And I know that treasure can come from Grimswarm, but again the primary payoff there is Society standing and advancement.

But it sounds like there needs to be some 91st level creatures available <somewhere else> than just the one or two places they are now, that could pull the capped people away from the same ol' same ol' areas and be a hunting ground that they go to for treasure.
(I say 91st, so that they can still earn experience, rather than being some absurdly over-level person borking an area for those of an age for it.)

Maybe some super-sized Illoke or elementals down in the Bowels, or something. <shrug>

(Or, yeah, since we're talking about greater vruul over in another thread right now.... :)
Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 04/09/2018 06:06 PM CDT
<What do I now know about the Red Forest?>

Likely nothing, I just assumed it had critters in the 90's there without actually checking the wiki like I usually do

Starchitin

Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 04/09/2018 06:11 PM CDT
>> there needs to be

While it happens in the mid-reaches, too, there's a real future problem we keep bumping up against.

The game pretty much ensures upward pressure on the higher-level hunting areas. Why? That's the name of the game - to advance, gain fame and fortune (literally), and maximize one's abilities in the lands.

OTF and Nelemar are possibly the most frequently hunted cap hunting grounds. I wouldn't even really call them post-cap because of the range of NPC levels.

Confluence, Sanctum and war camps are better - and the treasure's probably better. Not farm-worthy, no doubt, but likely better than OTF / Nelemar.

Scatter is a true post-cap area. But it is small, singular as a region, and therefore probably fairly susceptible to hunting pressure. So it's not idea to generate wealth from, either.

And who knows which areas are tied to which other areas where the 'nearly capped' are creating additional pressures?

Given that everyone (hopefully!) ultimately ends up in one of these hunting areas, there's no really good way to provide relief. Even just upping the treasure floor has its problems. . .

Doug
Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 04/09/2018 06:20 PM CDT
And areas that only have 1 hunting ground per range of levels ... get really crowded, really fast, too.

It seems rather unfair to penalize the loot because there's no other place to hunt at your level in that part of the world.

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 04/09/2018 07:37 PM CDT
"there's no other place to hunt at your level in that part of the world." -- Luxelle

Like everyone, you have your choice: you can stay there (and be limited in your hunting), or you can move to where there is hunting as an option (and not be in <whichever area that was where you were parked>).

It's a living world (simulacrum). Not everything of every type will be every where.

Hell, we haven't even gotten to migratory animals or effects.... :)
Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 04/09/2018 07:54 PM CDT
>Like everyone, you have your choice: you can stay there (and be limited in your hunting), or you can move to where there is hunting as an option (and not be in <whichever area that was where you were parked>).

https://gswiki.play.net/List_of_creatures_by_level

If you look at the list of creatures by level, you'll notice how weighted the creatures are towards low level hunting.

If there were as many options at 60+ as there are for 40- I feel the situation would be much better.

It would be interesting to see trackers for how many kills per creature for those creatures 40- and revamp the unused creatures into higher level hunting grounds.

I know everyone wants something different when it comes to development, but if I were in charge, I would have a team dedicated to hunting grounds as that is what people spend a majority of their game time doing. I'd rather have too many hunting options than hear complaints about limited options.
Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 04/09/2018 08:08 PM CDT
"Comparing level 16 hunting and near/post cap hunting in terms of loot is like comparing apples and oranges."

Fair point, however you're talking about loot in general, what's the % of boxes that cost more to open than is in them at (x) level? I'm willing to bet it's under 5%.

Keep in mind here, the original post was complaining about a loss of less than 2k in silver out of one box. 2k is not going to break you in this game, especially since (I'll go out on a limb here and say) they made well over that their next trip out.

One or two boxes out of a 100 is not a justifiable complaint and that is all there is to it.

I got fired from the keyboard factory....turns out i was not putting in enough shifts
Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 04/10/2018 07:06 AM CDT
>It occurs to me that loot depression might be partly responsible. Wasn't there a mechanic put in place some time back that lessens the value of treasure if you underhunt? In capped areas we are almost forced to sometimes underhunt by default. In Nelemar, for example, all mixed together are creatures from levels 93-105 or so. At 100, does anything I get from a level 93 critter suffer some sort of negative adjustment? If so, I wonder if there is a mechanic that could be put in place to mitigate this.

Level 93 gives standard loot. You take underhunting loot penalties when you can't learn from the critter, but they are only really severe if you are hunting something with no pressure on it that can't learn from. They barely affect Nelemar (3rd floor doesn't spawn at 93 and only a small fraction of base level 93 are 88-90 and give no exp) and there's a positive adjustment at level 105 and up too.

I reckon its the Confluence plus making Nelemar easy to hunt from the Landing that have killed off the loot. Added convenience plus extra unattractive areas for most professions (that is really rich if you are the right profession) have driven the amount hunting Nelemar up, and the average its compared to down.

>Confluence, Sanctum and war camps are better - and the treasure's probably better. Not farm-worthy, no doubt, but likely better than OTF / Nelemar.

They are farmed. Loot pressure is zero on average. Loot killed in one place means farm-worthy places elsewhere. The Confluence design is paradise for farmers.
Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 06/14/2018 08:15 AM CDT
>You ring the chime, and ask Tisanoff if he can open your modwir box.
He looks over the modwir box, frowns, and tells you, "Havin' some trouble, eh? Of course I could open this, but it'll cost ya. Gimme 3181 silvers, and I'll have it open before you know it."
>pay 3181
Tisanoff accepts your silvers.
Having paid, you place an enruned modwir box on the table. Then, Tisanoff turns his attention to the modwir box and deftly disarms a small trap, and then picks the lock with ease. "There you go," he says matter-of-factly as he hands your box back to you.
>open box
You open an enruned modwir box.
>get coins
You gather the remaining 1609 coins from inside your modwir box.
Roundtime: 1 sec.
>l in box
In the modwir box you see a clear sapphire.

Avaia, player of
Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 06/14/2018 08:16 AM CDT
You remove an enruned haon chest from in your elven-crafted robe.
>ring chime
You ring the chime, and ask Tisanoff if he can open your haon chest.
He looks over the haon chest, frowns, and tells you, "Havin' some trouble, eh? Of course I could open this, but it'll cost ya. Gimme 2775 silvers, and I'll have it open before you know it."
>pay 2775
Tisanoff accepts your silvers.
Having paid, you place an enruned haon chest on the table. Then, Tisanoff turns his attention to the haon chest and deftly disarms a small trap, and then picks the lock with ease. "There you go," he says matter-of-factly as he hands your chest back to you.
>open chest
You open an enruned haon chest.
>get coins
You gather the remaining 2376 coins from inside your haon chest.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
>l in chest
There is nothing in there.

Avaia, player of
Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 06/14/2018 08:22 AM CDT
This is nothing new; some times you get stiffed.

On the other hand, this morning I had one box that cost ~1700 to open, but had >6k inside. And a different one cost ~5k to open, but had some imflass hauberk that sang as >1M value (temp padding, and +2TD).

<shrug>

They're called 'random' die rolls, for a reason.

Also, I don't know if the mechanics differ from town to town--for the life of me I cannot think why they would be done that way...--but if they work the same as the Landing, you can just use the verb 'pay' by itself (no numeric value) and the correct number of silvers will be taken out of your pockets, OR you will be told that you don't have enough.
Saves a half-doze keystrokes, and a LOT of reading & comprehension/not mis-typing. :)
Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 06/14/2018 08:44 AM CDT
Leave boxes from overhunted critters, particularly if in Nelemar, for the janitor unless you have a PC lined up to pick them for you.
Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 06/14/2018 09:12 AM CDT
This is what makes the NPC locksmith inferior to other methods of opening boxes... at least if you hunt something that doesn't drop decent loot. I only make use of it when hunting things that are rich compared to other critters and can't get into the boxes myself.

If there aren't any locksmiths at the spot they normally hang out at in your town, check the SERVICE verb or ask on the amunet/lich if there are any around. If you can't find a locksmith, 125 or 707/708 can get you into any that aren't mithril/enruned/glyph trapped (use 125 outside town and exercise caution with 707/708). If you don't know these spells or can't find someone that does, some warriors can BASH boxes open for you via a guild skill they can learn.

<Also, I don't know if the mechanics differ from town to town--for the life of me I cannot think why they would be done that way...--but if they work the same as the Landing, you can just use the verb 'pay' by itself (no numeric value) and the correct number of silvers will be taken out of your pockets, OR you will be told that you don't have enough.>

All locksmiths work like this. Also, what the NPC locksmith charges isn't purely random, it's based on the trap, lock, contents, as well as a random component. Most of the time they charge more then 4k there will be a nice magic item, armor, or much more silver then normal.... and every time I've been charged more then 5k (that I can recall), the box had an enhansive or really nice armor. This is also why boxes from kobolds generally cost less to open then those from minotaurs.

Starchitin, the OG

Re: NPC Locksmith costs more silver than is in the box 06/14/2018 09:19 AM CDT
"what the NPC locksmith charges isn't purely random, ... , contents" -- Starchitin

I was referring to the random contents: some times you get just-silvers, some times silver+gem(s), some times silver+gem(s) +wand,
... +CoolThing,
... ... +GMcustomItem,
whatever.