Spiraling 09/11/2017 09:24 AM CDT
The pawnbroker says, "I'm afraid I don't have that much silver on hand, Elf, so I'll have to give you an Icemule promissory note for it."
He scribbles out an Icemule promissory note for 11209 (minus a small 24 silver surcharge) and hands it to you.

I think we're overusing notes. The situation seems to be worsening.

Doug
Re: Spiraling 09/11/2017 09:36 AM CDT

the pawnshop has always given notes for items over 10k. what's annoying is it forces you to have a free hand, while the gemshops will put the note (higher silver threshold before giving one) in your container or (I think) hand that the item used to be in.
Re: Spiraling 09/11/2017 10:19 AM CDT
>>the pawnshop has always given notes for items over 10k. what's annoying is it forces you to have a free hand, while the gemshops will put the note (higher silver threshold before giving one) in your container or (I think) hand that the item used to be in.

The whole note system is annoying, to my way of thinking. But, I'd settle for raising the limit of items to sell (to 250K) and raising notes to match (to 100K or above).

Issuing a note for anything at the current pawn prices is disruptive to me.

Doug
Re: Spiraling 09/11/2017 10:25 AM CDT

>The whole note system is annoying, to my way of thinking.

yeah, it's also really annoying with EXCHANGE in that if the exchange is for a vast amount of silvers (when I really want to use the command), it forces the buyer to use a note because the buyer cannot receive the item. Same with Playershops, you have to use a note because you're too heavy to hold the item.
Re: Spiraling 09/11/2017 10:32 AM CDT
Its inflation. When you have to have several tons in silver coins to make routine transactions, it gets clunky. The game needs a currency reset. Make 1000 old silvers = 1 new mithril and a lot of the aggravations around merchanting would go away. I saw one player tied in all sorts of knots at a recent merchant because the item handed over to lighten was too heavy to accept back afterwards and have turned down an opportunity at another merchant (the merchant was standing there begging for items to lighten and getting no takers) because the same thing would have happened to me.
Re: Spiraling 09/11/2017 10:38 AM CDT

>> Its inflation. When you have to have several tons in silver coins to make routine transactions, it gets clunky. The game needs a currency reset. Make 1000 old silvers = 1 new mithril and a lot of the aggravations around merchanting would go away. I saw one player tied in all sorts of knots at a recent merchant because the item handed over to lighten was too heavy to accept back afterwards and have turned down an opportunity at another merchant (the merchant was standing there begging for items to lighten and getting no takers) because the same thing would have happened to me.

Wait.. the merchant didn't just joke about it a little, and then SHOVE the item? That's what happens to me at EG...
Re: Spiraling 09/11/2017 10:40 AM CDT
I have previously suggested use of the 'escrow' verb.
Given recent changes, perhaps even building it into the 'urchin' functionality?

"escrow vaalorn sword with krakii for 999000000" sends the urchin to find Krakii (who is probably in the same room) and demand payment.
Krakii pays the urchin who is asking for the money, thereby lightening her load.
The urchin returns to the seller and just gives Ardwen (let's be honest) the silvers--who doesn't care about encumbrance because he's already holding the item--and automatically receiving the sword.
The urchin then delivers the sword to Krakii, who can receive it. Because now, no encumbrance.
Re: Spiraling 09/11/2017 10:48 AM CDT
>Wait.. the merchant didn't just joke about it a little, and then SHOVE the item? That's what happens to me at EG...

I don't know how it was eventually resolved, I left after about 15 minutes when it was still unresolved and it was clear there weren't going to be any more services that session. I would have expected a GM to be able to circumvent the mechanics, but it wasn't happening and its left me leery of ending up in a similar predicament.
Re: Spiraling 09/11/2017 10:49 AM CDT
>Issuing a note for anything at the current pawn prices is disruptive to me.

Its issuing a separate note for each sale thats really disruptive. If the pawn just ticked up the value of the note I was holding each time it wouldn't be nearly as bad but its issuing a dozen notes for a dozen items and requiring the previous one to be put away every time thats disruptive.

When you buy they just change the value of the note, rather than forcing you to have a separate note for every transaction and they should do the same when you sell.
Re: Spiraling 09/11/2017 10:52 AM CDT
"escrow vaalorn sword with krakii for 999000000" sends the urchin to find Krakii (who is probably in the same room) and demand payment.
Krakii pays the urchin who is asking for the money, thereby lightening her load.
The urchin returns to the seller and just gives Ardwen (let's be honest) the silvers--who doesn't care about encumbrance because he's already holding the item--and automatically receiving the sword.
The urchin then delivers the sword to Krakii, who can receive it. Because now, no encumbrance.

I like it, only with a slight modification.

The urchin runs off with your silver and buys a house on Teras, you never see him again.

Viduus
Re: Spiraling 09/11/2017 11:05 AM CDT

>> I don't know how it was eventually resolved, I left after about 15 minutes when it was still unresolved and it was clear there weren't going to be any more services that session. I would have expected a GM to be able to circumvent the mechanics, but it wasn't happening and its left me leery of ending up in a similar predicament.

That's really weird. I've seen it happen a couple times, and it's trivial to resolve. The Merchant has always just done an override and forced the item onto the player. During EG, since the games made you need to have tens of thousands of silver on hand, EVERYBODY was overloaded, even routine services like unlocking etc. ran into this.
Re: Spiraling 09/11/2017 01:01 PM CDT
Sorry, I stopped reading after the, "I like it."

So, when should we expect implementation?
(Either version, really... :)
Re: Spiraling 09/11/2017 07:39 PM CDT
The whole note system is annoying, to my way of thinking. But, I'd settle for raising the limit of items to sell (to 250K) and raising notes to match (to 100K or above).
Issuing a note for anything at the current pawn prices is disruptive to me.
Doug

I'd like to see the limit be severely reduced, not increased. 10k maximum for any single item sold. Reduce skin and gem values by 90%.

Its inflation. When you have to have several tons in silver coins to make routine transactions, it gets clunky. The game needs a currency reset. Make 1000 old silvers = 1 new mithril and a lot of the aggravations around merchanting would go away. I saw one player tied in all sorts of knots at a recent merchant because the item handed over to lighten was too heavy to accept back afterwards and have turned down an opportunity at another merchant (the merchant was standing there begging for items to lighten and getting no takers) because the same thing would have happened to me.

I disagree that we need a currency reset. There are a lot of solutions that would fix the current problems, that is not one of them.

They could simply make silvers weightless in town.
Re: Spiraling 09/12/2017 08:55 AM CDT
>>I'd like to see the limit be severely reduced, not increased. 10k maximum for any single item sold. Reduce skin and gem values by 90%

I do not intend to make this the 'make silvers great, again' thread, and so I purposefully suggest that agenda item find its own home. I know it already has two, in fact, since I contribute there.

This is the 'annoy me no more with note after note after note after note after note after note . . . ' thread. Irrespective of what the value of the item ends up being, the note situation is the focus for this point.

I suspect that Rath's suggestion could answer a significant portion of the challenge. Weightless while in town sounds fun, but there's probably an issue or two we need to consider.

We could make one pawnshop / gemshop in the lands able to buy valuable items above the ceiling in other locations. Perhaps the Harbor - help make my premium subscription great again, too! At any rate, there needs to be relief from the 'not buying anything this valuable today' message. Limit of purchase is immaterial, there needs to be a pawn NPC driven outlet.

TL;DR - No notes - and let everything sell.

Doug
Re: Spiraling 09/12/2017 12:19 PM CDT
A currency reset would have its own issues to consider. To name a few... weightless coin pouches, Relieve Burden (314), Pickpocketing, Trading, the dozens or hundreds of small currency transactions with NPCs all over the lands, and Call Lightning (125).
Re: Spiraling 09/12/2017 12:40 PM CDT
<We could make one pawnshop / gemshop in the lands able to buy valuable items above the ceiling in other locations. Perhaps the Harbor - help make my premium subscription great again, too!>

Hmm, some good notes (on notes ha) but I especially like the above as a premium perk. Since it seems pawnshops all have their own closely related coding, this should be easy as one pawn and a small sub upsell benefit, even if only to 50K.

To limit mass funnelling of sales by non premium accounts to premium accounts for sale, the marginal increase and a limit of 3-5 items a day allowed per account.

One pawnshop to rule them all! It must because the lazy and relaxed tropical island lifestyle..
Re: Spiraling 09/12/2017 07:35 PM CDT
<and Call Lightning (125).>

Hmm... if 1,000,000 silvers = 10,000 mithril = 100 vultite = 1 veil iron...

I'm starting to like this proposal.... assuming mithril/vultite/veil iron slabs resulted...

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.