Weapons in boxes 09/06/2017 10:32 PM CDT
I thought I'd seen an NIR post some time ago that weapons wouldn't be found in boxes any more since the critters would be using them instead.... but I just found a runestaff in a box. I'm not complaining, it's a nice runestaff (well, expensive, at least), I just didn't think that was supposed to happen any more.

Did I read a post wrong or did I discover some sort of hiccup in the system? I've found plenty of runestaves of varying quality on the same critters this box came from (tomb troll necromancers), so I assumed they were treated the same as any other weapon....

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Weapons in boxes 09/06/2017 10:42 PM CDT

Might be a manually placed in hopper item? I think the change where they are only carried was for auto generated weapons. Could be off the mark.
Re: Weapons in boxes 09/06/2017 10:46 PM CDT
<Might be a manually placed in hopper item? I think the change where they are only carried was for auto generated weapons. Could be off the mark.>

It's possible.... I haven't found a bard to sing to it yet. I've found a lot of "scorched orase runstaffs" on critters over the years though, all of them being wielded by the critters I found them on.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Weapons in boxes 09/07/2017 01:16 AM CDT
Was it in a warcamp? I have found weapons in boxes there, though I am unsure about other places now that I think about it.

_ _ _
Wyrom gestures at you, causing you to explode.
Re: Weapons in boxes 09/07/2017 02:13 AM CDT
<Was it in a warcamp?>

No, it was from tomb trolls

Starchitin

Re: Weapons in boxes 09/07/2017 06:25 AM CDT
I find drake & feras stuff in boxes all the time.

My recollection of the GM's post was that the weapon needed to be something the creature would be using, but that could be off; it's been a while since I read it.
On the other hand, that post should be on the Wiki, because I'm pretty sure I put it there.
Re: Weapons in boxes 09/07/2017 03:37 PM CDT
<My recollection of the GM's post was that the weapon needed to be something the creature would be using, but that could be off; it's been a while since I read it.>

Well flesh golems, tomb trolls and tomb troll necromancers all occupy the same space, the necromancers use runestaves, but the other two don't. I thought both boxes I got that hunt came off the necromancers, but I could be mistaken...

It's not a big deal, just caught me by surprise. I've found a lot of weapons being wielded by critters, but none other then drake weapons in boxes since they started swinging them.

Starchitin

Re: Weapons in boxes 09/07/2017 08:48 PM CDT
Weapons continue to be found in boxes. I think it was Wyrom who said they didn't, but then later clarified that they are still found in boxes. I am not sure what the circumstances are, but I asked him about it when he stated it, because I was sure I had found one, and then sure enough I did find one the next day.

Kerl
Re: Weapons in boxes 09/08/2017 10:29 PM CDT
>> I think it was Wyrom who said they didn't, but then later clarified that they are still found in boxes

I was (and still am) pretty sure that there are two types of weapons to find - GM-crafted, and system-generated - and that GM-crafted will always be used by the creature, but system-generated weapons are an either / or proposition.

But if that weapon is 'special' beyond what the system can generate - perhaps I have it backwards.

Doug
Re: Weapons in boxes 09/09/2017 02:07 AM CDT
<But if that weapon is 'special' beyond what the system can generate - perhaps I have it backwards.>

Well, my empath hasn't managed to find a bard yet, but at this point there's nothing to indicate it could be special other then the pawn offering it's max (which I think would happen with a 4x runestaff anyway).

No long, no show, no enhansive properties unless it's one that can't be determined via INFO, SKILL, HEALTH, etc, weight is 4 lbs, no ANALYZE info.... might have flares or something, but I'm not holding my breath.

Starchitin

Re: Weapons in boxes 09/09/2017 11:17 AM CDT
I requested my town's pawnshop be made smarter, like the Landing pawnshop and give you a quote of value if it exceeds the 35K limit. That helps determine if it just barely exceeded it and likely nothing on it or if way over and likely rank based enhancives or something else.

Also, order 5 at Adventurer's Guild. Messaging replies will determine if it is enhancive, though yes you can also test by checking your own commands.

Bless it with Voln or pure potion to see if primary slot is full with a flare or something, or swing alot if so to determine flare type. If not a flare likely sanctified or defender.

Weighting is trickier now but likely find a warrior.
Re: Weapons in boxes 09/09/2017 11:18 AM CDT
Nevermind on weighting/padding checks, it's a runestaff. But for other stuff.
Re: Weapons in boxes 09/09/2017 11:29 AM CDT
>I requested my town's pawnshop be made smarter, like the Landing pawnshop and give you a quote of value if it exceeds the 35K limit. That helps determine if it just barely exceeded it and likely nothing on it or if way over and likely rank based enhancives or something else.

This would be an outstanding QOL improvement for all pawnshops in game. I'd love to see it happen.

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: Weapons in boxes 09/09/2017 11:50 AM CDT
I would like some other way to check weighting and padding levels.

It's hard to find a warrior to assess stuff.