Real treasure chests 05/31/2017 10:46 AM CDT
So, a friend and I were discussing the number of gems found in a looted box and we thought it would be fun to come across a real treasure chest one day; as in filled to the brim with gems and coins. I imagine it would be almost impossible to lift/carry but think of the reward for your efforts to get it back to town and opened!

>>You slay me woman! ~ Wyrom

https://gswiki.play.net/Rohese_Bayvel-Timsh'l
Re: Real treasure chests 05/31/2017 11:01 AM CDT
>So, a friend and I were discussing the number of gems found in a looted box and we thought it would be fun to come across a real treasure chest one day; as in filled to the brim with gems and coins. I imagine it would be almost impossible to lift/carry but think of the reward for your efforts to get it back to town and opened!

Heaviest box I've ever found on a creature was just shy of 210 pounds. I figured that was about the total weight of the box since I pulled around 32K in coins from it and a couple of gems. Thankfully my dwarf weighs around 220 pounds, else he wouldn't have been able to pick it up (if I remember correctly, you can't pick up an object that weighs more than your character) and stuff it in his disk.

I know people have found heavier boxes that can only be opened in the field because they're 300lbs+. It's not a common thing, but I recall hearing this happens kind of on a treasure timer reset in your area....or I could just be remembering wrong and all it is is a result of being really lucky.

-Drumpel
Re: Real treasure chests 05/31/2017 11:06 AM CDT
Oh I've found those before too filled with about 30k in coins or some heavy armor, but I'm thinking more along the lines of 40-50 gems as opposed to the usual 2 or 3.

Re: Real treasure chests 05/31/2017 11:08 AM CDT
If I found a chest, either heaping with Gems or with just 40-50, I would probably be utterly terrified for my life. I would not expect to make it the rest of the day alive.
Re: Real treasure chests 05/31/2017 11:22 AM CDT
The heaviest box I ever found had around 50k in silver and a table leg in it.... I actually had to drag it to the bank with me and GET COINS again after depositing what I got the first time to get them all. Luckily there was a giant in the same hunting ground to load it into a disk for me after I picked it open and pulled out as much silver as I could.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Real treasure chests 05/31/2017 11:40 AM CDT
I do recall one of the GMs posting about how they had put some items into the hopper (not sure if they are still out there or are added every now and then) that have a pile (ok, not really a pile, but more than just one or two) of gems in a container such as a bag/pouch/etc.

So it is or at least was possible at one point to find a handful of gems in containers from boxes....

I wonder if this is still a thing.

-Drumpel
Re: Real treasure chests 05/31/2017 10:27 PM CDT
People have found gem collections in boxes before. Rare hand feed into the treasure system. Pretty cool.

On the big box note: my biggest box was around 47,000 silvers. Not sure exactly, but a max strength/size human could not lift it, (you can't lift more than your own body weight in one lift, (you can carry more than that though!).

Kerl
Re: Real treasure chests 06/02/2017 03:21 PM CDT

This is an awesome idea. To make it happen in an automated way, all the individual treasure rolls need to have a chance for dependency. Right now all the rolls are appear to be completely independent - a box with 30k silvers does not appear to have any different chance of having a gem, or other item, than any other box.

What I think would be more dramatic is if a box with 30k silver (a heavy box) had a much better chance of other good treasure rolls. So when you find a really heavy box, you really really want it opened because its got a good chance of also having multiple gems, jewelry, and armaments.
Re: Real treasure chests 06/03/2017 02:14 PM CDT
<< What I think would be more dramatic is if a box with 30k silver (a heavy box) had a much better chance of other good treasure rolls. So when you find a really heavy box, you really really want it opened because its got a good chance of also having multiple gems, jewelry, and armaments. >>

I think it might be better to just have the system say, "The value of this box is exceptional and has 50k, now what is the breakup of items causing it to be 30k?". That way some boxes will have 50k in silver, other 50k in gems, yet others 10k in silver, 23k in gems, and a 7k coronet,and a 10k necklace.

Josh
Re: Real treasure chests 06/06/2017 09:30 PM CDT
I thought this was gonna be about doing RL loot crates in the same fashion as real gems used to be done, but with treasure chests. Full of random GS themed loot.

What a great idea, I'm glad I thought of it!

~ Methais
Re: Real treasure chests 06/07/2017 01:03 AM CDT
I support this idea too!