Loot Boosts? 05/12/2017 11:21 PM CDT
Can anyone explain how these work exactly? There's nothing in the wiki for it? Do I run it when hunting and hope for better drops from LOOT verb? I don't even know when the contents of a chest are determined, on gen or on open. Is there more of a swing at higher levels versus lower? Any tips in general in regards to them?

Thanks!
Re: Loot Boosts? 05/12/2017 11:47 PM CDT
>>Can anyone explain how these work exactly? There's nothing in the wiki for it? Do I run it when hunting and hope for better drops from LOOT verb? I don't even know when the contents of a chest are determined, on gen or on open. Is there more of a swing at higher levels versus lower? Any tips in general in regards to them?

In my experience, you use them first, and then when you search enemies, the treasure is higher or better. The contents appear to be determined when you find them, unless it is the case that a value is assigned instead? But you get better boxes for sure. I find it makes the biggest difference on things that already drop nice gems, etc. Then those good gems just happen to drop far more often, as well as boxes. I have no idea how level is affected, though I think it is only related to the treasure system itself and not loot boosts.

For example then, my wizard currently in plat might find a few boxes, and each has a gem. Then when I boost, I end up filled up on boxes, each of which have a couple gems. Also all the times I found really neat things were under the effects of a major loot boost.

_ _ _
Wyrom gestures at you, causing you to explode.
Re: Loot Boosts? 05/12/2017 11:51 PM CDT

Content of boxes should be fixed on spawning, not opening or first looking Inside. GMs occasionally would tease what's been left to rot from people not picking up boxes.
Re: Loot Boosts? 05/13/2017 06:48 AM CDT
Use it at the beginning of a hunt just before you kill the first critter. It's no use on critters that only have skins and no other loot. Then hunt the entire 15 minutes. Because you will be hunting longer than usual, it's good to use with instant mind clearers or long-term experience boosts. Box contents are determined on gen.
Re: Loot Boosts? 05/13/2017 06:50 AM CDT
>Can anyone explain how these work exactly? There's nothing in the wiki for it?

My assumption is that they shift loot by one or two tiers i.e. running a minor loot boost is the same effect as group hunting, and running a major loot boost is the same effect as uphunting over 5 levels in a group.

> Do I run it when hunting and hope for better drops from LOOT verb?

Yes.

> I don't even know when the contents of a chest are determined, on gen or on open.

At gen. The encumberance effects from the contents are apparent immediately. The method of opening can change them (e.g. 125 melting silvers, disarm generating trap components) but contents are set when the box drops.

>Is there more of a swing at higher levels versus lower?

There's more of a swing at high tiers. Essentially because going from a 10% chance of a 500 silver gem to a 20% chance of 1000 silver gem is worth a lot less (300) than going from a 30% chance of a 2000 silver gem to a 50% chance of a 4000 silver gem (1400). The mechanics aren't known well enough to say it works exactly like that, but that sort of effect is in place.

>Any tips in general in regards to them?
When you are going to be doing a lot of looting in the next 15 minutes, when those critters are relatively rich and when you can recover all that extra loot back to town.

I also use them when the loot would be depressingly dire without them. I'd be a lot more upset about the Rift being made unhuntable by a bug that isn't being addressed if I couldn't use loot boosts in Nelemar.
Re: Loot Boosts? 05/13/2017 01:01 PM CDT
>I'd be a lot more upset about the Rift being made unhuntable by a bug that isn't being addressed if I couldn't use loot boosts in Nelemar.

What's the deal with the Rift?

~ Methais
Re: Loot Boosts? 05/13/2017 01:16 PM CDT
>What's the deal with the Rift?

Giants with shields get 10s RTs they shouldn't at inconvenient moments.
Re: Loot Boosts? 05/13/2017 08:42 PM CDT

>Giants with shields get 10s RTs they shouldn't at inconvenient moments.

Halflings rule!

Ducks
Re: Loot Boosts? 05/13/2017 09:23 PM CDT
Humans too :(

Not finding an opening while ambushing with a shield incurs 10sec RT instead of 5, and made me drop all ambush ranks. Mstrike, spells (yay, paladin), & maneuvers fill in the gap for me at 55.
Re: Loot Boosts? 05/14/2017 06:33 AM CDT
>Humans too :(

I think anyone but giants can train out of being affected it, but yes, anyone without enough aiming skill for the shot they are trying to make.
Re: Loot Boosts? 05/15/2017 08:17 PM CDT
>Giants with shields get 10s RTs they shouldn't at inconvenient moments.

That's pretty random. How long has that been happening? Seems like that would be a high priority fix.

~ Methais