Okay, something is rotten in the state of Denmark... 02/14/2017 09:15 PM CST
"The first thing that strikes you about the strongbox is the weight, which is about 84 pounds."

Holy crap! Alright, this is why people don't bother to pick up boxes, because of encumbrance...

(Although if that was a reasonably close facsimile of the representation of the silver [or magical suits of armor, or whatever] inside, then I'd be a lot happier about it.)

(For the record, NO, there was not nearly 13000 silver inside.)

Already broke one lockpick this week on this area's boxes, so I go to Larton.

You gather the remaining 2981 coins from inside your steel strongbox.
In the steel strongbox you see some wolifrew lichen.

And just to make sure...

As you sing, you feel a faint resonating vibration from the wolifrew lichen in your hand, and you learn something about it...
This is a small item, under a pound.

The first thing that strikes you about the strongbox is the weight, which is about 7 pounds.

So, after I take the just-over-eighteen-and-a-half-pounds [18.6] of silver coins out of the base-weight-seven-pounds [7] strongbox that had a less-than-one-pound [call it 1] == less-than-twenty-seven [<27] pounds of ACTUAL WEIGHT...

...I'm left being puzzled where the other SIXTY FRICKING POUNDS came from in what the system is telling us.

So, yeah.

GMs? What's up with boxes, and weight, and encumbrance, and all that?
Re: Okay, something is rotten in the state of Denmark... 02/14/2017 10:10 PM CST
Could be the spellsong had trouble combining the weights of the three items, for some reason. Did you ever WEIGH the strongbox to see what that said?

I know when I've found boxes that (legitimately) weigh 80+ pounds there's always been more then 10k or a suit of armor inside (usually the former).

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Okay, something is rotten in the state of Denmark... 02/14/2017 10:23 PM CST
Loresinging doesn't provide an accurate weigh on locked boxes. I'd argue this is a BUG.

Full-box Song: The first thing that strikes you about the strongbox is the weight, which is about 82 pounds.

Full-box Weigh: You carefully examine the wooden strongbox and determine that the weight is about 24 pounds.

Actual content: You gather the remaining 2935 coins from inside your wooden strongbox.

Empty-box Song: The first thing that strikes you about the strongbox is the weight, which is about 6 pounds.

Empty-box Weigh: You carefully examine the wooden strongbox and determine that the weight is about 6 pounds.
Re: Okay, something is rotten in the state of Denmark... 02/15/2017 06:00 AM CST
I agree that it should be considered a bug.

On the other hand, they probably did that intentionally so that people do not just leave behind the "obvious junk" boxes.

Still, seems a pity that the (usually wildly inaccurate) 'weigh' verb is a better guideline in this instance than the (usually highly accurate & desirable) 'loresong', which costs not only RT [like 'weigh'] but mana, too.

:(
Re: Okay, something is rotten in the state of Denmark... 02/15/2017 06:16 AM CST
>Already broke one lockpick this week on this area's boxes, so I go to Larton.

>"The first thing that strikes you about the strongbox is the weight, which is about 84 pounds."

I never bother with that verse, I jump straight to the one that tells me whether I would break a pick. ;)
Re: Okay, something is rotten in the state of Denmark... 02/15/2017 08:01 AM CST
> On the other hand, they probably did that intentionally so that people do not just leave behind the "obvious junk" boxes.

Agreed on all counts. I'll start tracking various weights on boxes and try to derive the base weight of a locked box vs that of its contents. My immediate hunch is the base song-weight of a box is was 80 and each additional object weighs 2 pounds. That would meet the findings for both your box (coins + lichen = 84) and mine (coins = 82). Two boxes clearly isn't enough to go on though.
Re: Okay, something is rotten in the state of Denmark... 02/15/2017 09:36 AM CST
I have about 6 mules on the other account stacked up with boxes that I didn't feel like bringing the Thief in for--which is good, because, you know: they break picks--so I can develop a sample set this evening when I get home.
Re: Okay, something is rotten in the state of Denmark... 02/15/2017 10:27 PM CST
So here's the first cut on the data, a nice round baker's dozen:

Gross Weight How Tare Weight
container loresong verb Opened lock trap silvers other loresong verb
battered steel coffer 42 14 picked well-crafted - 1382 bone wand 6
iron-bound fel coffer 72 25 picked tricky - 2448 uncut emerald 10
corroded iron coffer 104 34 Larton somewhat difficult yes 3615 green zircon, blue sapphire, banded sardonyx stone 10
enruned haon coffer 102 28 Larton somewht difficult yes 3666 clear topaz, star sapphire, amb leaf 7
enruned maoral trunk 48 18 picked tricky - 1611 - 6
rotting modwir strongbox 75 22 picked tricky - 2611 crystal amulet 7
badly damaged iron box 38 15 Larton fairly complicated - 1118 - 10
rotting thanot box 78 24 picked moderately well-crafted yes 2827 uncut diamond 5 5
scratched haon box 38 13 Larton very difficult - 1231 brown zircon, yellow sapphire, iron wand 7 7
rotting wooden box 82 22 Larton very difficult yes 2900 uncut emerald, pink spinel 6 7
plain fel box 37 15 Larton very difficult - 1192 - 7 8
battered silver chest 91 32 picked simple - 3094 moonstone cube, small pink pearl 8 9
weathered maoral chest 48 17 picked fairly plain - 1645 large pink pearl, uncut diamond 6 6

(For the first bunch, I forgot to LoreSing to them again after they were empty.)
Re: Okay, something is rotten in the state of Denmark... 02/15/2017 11:22 PM CST
I'll bet it's the silvers that give loresongs trouble, rather then that the boxes are locked. It would be interesting to see if getting a rogue to relock a box after the silvers were removed (or getting a sorcerer to phase the silvers out) yielded the same results or if those pouches folk can put silvers into have the same problem...

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Okay, something is rotten in the state of Denmark... 02/16/2017 04:57 AM CST
Looks like silvers are weighed at around 25/lb rather than 160.
Re: Okay, something is rotten in the state of Denmark... 02/16/2017 08:18 AM CST
Robert, tell me where you're hunting so I can ransack the place? :D

Gross Weight How Tare Weight
container loresong verb Opened lock trap silvers other loresong verb
weathered fel box 37 13 picked 1152 green garnet, petal-cut sapphire tiara 7 6
scratched fel box 76 22 picked Vial 2674 silver lockpick 7 6
engraved mithril trunk 36 19 picked 940 golden wand 13

I had a difficult time getting weights with my level six bard - those loresinging changes are strikingly apparent at lower levels. I must take it for granted as Naamit!
Re: Okay, something is rotten in the state of Denmark... 02/16/2017 09:43 AM CST
Heh.

How much you want to bet the "found box" weight is set by an old ICE system, when we didn't care about encumbrance/weight?

And it never got changed when coins got smaller/lighter, when we did start carting about encumbrance/weight?
Re: Okay, something is rotten in the state of Denmark... 02/16/2017 09:53 AM CST
No 't' in 'caring'. Derp.
Re: Okay, something is rotten in the state of Denmark... 08/20/2017 12:01 PM CDT
Just thought I would re-visit this six months later...

Two this morning:
Loresong: 47 & 86 pounds
'Weigh': 19 & 26 pounds
Sung lock: very difficult & fairly simple
Trap: yes (-267) & no
Actual lock: 720 & 320
Loot: 3002 + nothing & 1523 + blue topaz

GMs, what are we being encumbered for? (Not that I was--both of these were in my disk--but if I were to be carrying them...) X, or 3X?

And why can't the (normally extremely accurate & reliable) LoreSong results be fixed and brought into line with actuality?
Re: Okay, something is rotten in the state of Denmark... 08/21/2017 07:05 AM CDT
Those look like typical Landing boxes. The ones in other towns have much better stuff in them.

Starchitin

Re: Okay, something is rotten in the state of Denmark... 08/21/2017 09:48 AM CDT
My point, of the entire thread, has been the (massive) discrepancy in the reported weight.
'LoreSing' says 86 pounds, 'weigh' (and actual silvers) says a third of that.
Normally, LoreSing is the go-to for accuracy.
Re: Okay, something is rotten in the state of Denmark... 08/21/2017 09:56 AM CDT
Takes a stout box to hold that many silvers. . . a really stout box.

Doug
Re: Okay, something is rotten in the state of Denmark... 08/21/2017 10:22 AM CDT

>LoreSing

Loresing