Thread For Nifty Finds 05/15/2016 08:06 PM CDT
a palm-sized sky blue box

In the sky blue box:
magic (4): a cerulean glass orb, a clear glaesine orb, an etched deep blue orb, an etched light blue orb.

I don't remember which orb has which besides the obvious two, but they have 101, 202, 103, and 107 and are all rechargeable.

Found on Nelemar 3rd floor.

~ Methais

Reading the wizard nerfs:
http://i.imgur.com/hNaDm98.gif
Re: Thread For Nifty Finds 05/15/2016 08:54 PM CDT
Nice find for a wizard.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Thread For Nifty Finds 05/19/2016 03:49 PM CDT
>Nice find for a wizard.

I actually found two more of these on the test server yesterday. Same box, same orbs, same properties, etc. 416'd a box and saw it so I had to dig it out and check. Then shortly after I found another one. The one I found in Prime was from Nelemar 3rd floor, one from yesterday on Test was in the Scatter, and I forgot where the last one was from. I think also Scatter but I'm not sure.

Is this some sort of new addition to the treasure system? At first I was thinking it just carried over as if it just hadn't been "found" yet on the test server, but I still had my original one on me from Prime, so the snapshot for Test was taken after I found this in Prime.

Something like that seems like something a GM would have created and thrown in the hopper, as opposed to the treasure system generating it on its own.

But I really have no idea since I've already found 3 of them, 2 being on Test in the same day, so all I can come up with is it was a GM made item and they threw at least a handful of them into the hopper.

Any NIRs able to give any info on this?

~ Methais
Re: Thread For Nifty Finds 05/19/2016 06:32 PM CDT
Someone on a Lich chat channel who wasn't you mentioned finding a box with a box of orbs in it after you found yours but before Test opened.

Not helpful, I know.
Re: Thread For Nifty Finds 05/20/2016 06:02 AM CDT
There has definitely been discussion how Scroll Infusion is much more powerful than Charge Item these days.

It's certainly possible that this is a new kind of treasure expected to roll out with a variety of standard magic in them.

Only a speculation, but it'd be a nice bone tossed to wizards.
Re: Thread For Nifty Finds 05/20/2016 02:01 PM CDT
The biggest reason why Scroll Infusion is so much better is because finding "rare" spells on a scroll is much more common than finding a rechargeable item with one.

Plus the whole having multiple spells on one scroll thing, so item management is a lot easier too between that and the RUMMAGE verb. With rechargeable a you just have to remember what has what spell on it.

Buff recharging!

~ Methais
Re: Thread For Nifty Finds 05/20/2016 02:04 PM CDT
It would be nice if Charge Item could work on all brand-new items (so, no Duplicate...), up to some useful number (20? 15? 10? I don't insist on 40...), but it worked for ANY spell-casting item you find. No worries about it being "mage rechargeable", because this isn't a "re"-instance. You're just charging it for the first time.

Yes, mage rechargeable will still be valuable because you can keep that item and re-use it.

But meanwhile, some of the other trinket-style items could be made more worthwhile having/carrying.
Re: Thread For Nifty Finds 05/20/2016 02:08 PM CDT
Between catastrophic failures that ruin the item, either by greening it or blowing it up, combined with item degradation anytime you recharge it, guarantees that no rechargeable items are permanent, which really leaves no reason to make rechargeable items any less common than scrolls.

If a NIR thinks that's OP, then please explain why every fresh scroll can be charged and are better than MR items in every possible way.

~ Methais
Re: Thread For Nifty Finds 05/20/2016 02:27 PM CDT
The nerfing of recharging was a classic example of over-correction. There were problems with it, but the fix basically killed its usefulness. On the other hand, if you look at it as though the items are disposable, (not an easy thing with a lot of legacy items), then see Methias' explanation above about why scrolls are so much better. Buff charge item!
Re: Thread For Nifty Finds 05/20/2016 02:34 PM CDT
The biggest contributing factor to the 517 nerf wasn't even the spell itself, it was due to Ciston almost mass producing non-crumbly wearable MR items with "rare" spells due to a combination of abusing Thailor's staff by putting 420 in it, which could be invoked by anybody to imbed any spell they had, combined with his jewelry box that would turn any MR gem into a non-crumbly wearable item.

Clearly the solution was to nerf Charge Item and not the items being abused (which ended up getting nerfed anyway, at least the staff).

Hopefully one day the current staff can fix that old staff mistake.

What do you guys (dev) think?

~ Methais
Re: Thread For Nifty Finds 05/20/2016 03:17 PM CDT
The staff (started as a shield) should never have been able to take 20th level spells in the first place. (Back when it was created/based on RoleMaster, 20th level spells represented 'mastery' of the list; it was the capstone. Anything after a spell gap [25, 30, and so on] represented graduate degrees. :)

Rechargeable gems are comparatively rare. (Though more common than they were then.) The jewelry box was extremely rare (one of only a few, though there are more now.) The staff was unique. The outlay of silver to get them into a single person's hands was tremendous; ONLY then were they able to produce the unbalancing effect they had, and then only with a supply of the appropriate gems, and casters.

Change the staff to cap at 19th level. Change Item Creation to 25th level. Require Item Creation to be self-prepped. (Use a RoleMaster idea, and make Item Creation a 25th level 'ability' gained when you have one of those graduate degrees in the list. At that point, you can create items with [lower level] spells in that list, period. Frees up a slot in the Minor Elemental list, too!) Lots of different ways that it could have been done.
Re: Thread For Nifty Finds 05/20/2016 04:09 PM CDT
>Change the staff to cap at 19th level. Change Item Creation to 25th level. Require Item Creation to be self-prepped. (Use a RoleMaster idea, and make Item Creation a 25th level 'ability' gained when you have one of those graduate degrees in the list. At that point, you can create items with [lower level] spells in that list, period. Frees up a slot in the Minor Elemental list, too!) Lots of different ways that it could have been done.

The problem had nothing to do with 420 or 517. The problem was Thailor's (now nerfed) staff + the jewelry box.

420 is already weak in the fact that it has no direct benefit to the caster since we have no need for magic items with our own spells in them. I can't even remember the last time I used it for anything. For my own needs, I've never used it because I have no self-beneficial need for it.

The only thing that needed to be done (and I think it's what was done) is capping the staff at level 19. The rest would do nothing but create unnecessary headaches and misery for people who never did anything wrong.

~ Methais
Re: Thread For Nifty Finds 05/22/2016 01:07 AM CDT
<420 is already weak in the fact that it has no direct benefit to the caster since we have no need for magic items with our own spells in them. I can't even remember the last time I used it for anything. For my own needs, I've never used it because I have no self-beneficial need for it.>

At higher levels, I'll agree with this. However, my sorcerer used 420 to imbed rods and wands with 705 and 711 whenever he could get a ranger to imbue a few until he had enough mana to make it through a hunt without pausing to wait for a pulse.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.