Ease hunting pressure for the less active 04/21/2016 06:04 PM CDT
Hunting pressure is a great way to make encourage players to try different hunting areas or provide a benefit for hunting more difficult critters around their level. However, when someone (or a group of people) come in and are constantly script hunting (afk or not), the pressure ramps up fast. If there were multiple places to hunt at each level around each town, it'd be easy to move on when this happens. More likely, you'd have to switch towns, which means you lose your community.

I'd love to see something implemented that would keep the treasure in an area higher for those who aren't hunting so aggressively. Maybe once a week, a timer could be reset and allow someone 12 of hunting without without hunting pressure. For those who are always hunting to rake in silvers, this wouldn't affect them much as they are moving around based on hunting pressure anyway. For the rest of us, you'd still have a chance to make some coin or find a nice item without moving to a new town just because of a few people moved in.
Re: Ease hunting pressure for the less active 04/21/2016 06:20 PM CDT

I will lend my support. This is a good idea. I support anything that makes it easier to get loot.
Re: Ease hunting pressure for the less active 04/21/2016 06:56 PM CDT
Perhaps there is a way to make hunting pressure non existent during Lumnis? Or lessened.

Character formerly known as Drauz
Re: Ease hunting pressure for the less active 04/21/2016 11:10 PM CDT
>Perhaps there is a way to make hunting pressure non existent during Lumnis? Or lessened

Non-existent would be good. You end up for the most part choosing between exp and loot.

~ Methais

Reading the wizard nerfs:
http://i.imgur.com/hNaDm98.gif
Re: Ease hunting pressure for the less active 04/22/2016 02:15 PM CDT
I support this as well. Either make a real effort to stop afk scripting or make loot not affected by hunting pressure. It seems like there is zero chance for option a to happen, so option b works for me.
Re: Ease hunting pressure for the less active 04/22/2016 02:19 PM CDT
I like the concept.

But it seems to me what we're asking is that rather than measuring value out as a total over time, we're asking to measure value out to an account / character by total over time.

No matter how the objective gets specified, we're asking for more compute resources and a fundamental change to the value algorithms in place now.

Fancy way of saying, it's gonna take work and work requires priority against everything else. Might be a bit - even though it is as needful as we deem it to be.

Doug
Re: Ease hunting pressure for the less active 04/22/2016 08:25 PM CDT
With the recent addition of major and minor loot boosts from login rewards, I'm assuming implementing this wouldn't be all that hard. The systems are already in the game, so it's just a matter of putting them together in a new way. It might end up being a pain to introduce, but it might also be simple.
Re: Ease hunting pressure for the less active 04/25/2016 01:35 PM CDT

We do things because they are hard.
Re: Ease hunting pressure for the less active 04/26/2016 08:16 PM CDT
Is there anything already related to this? Because I swear if I start hunting with a new character who hasn't killed anything that week, I find noticably more treasure, even if it is in the exact same area at adjacent times. Has anyone else noticed this sort of trend?
Re: Ease hunting pressure for the less active 04/26/2016 10:01 PM CDT
Since you mentioned new I am assuming you are hunting in low level areas which has few other hunters. Due to that you would see a lot less hunting pressure in that area which will in turn make the loot better.
Re: Ease hunting pressure for the less active 04/26/2016 11:17 PM CDT
Sorry, I meant different. For instance, my warrior was in one place for a while and established a pretty good baselines for what treasure would be (not so good), and whenever I then bring in my bard or sorcerer, for instance, to that same area, hunting the same creatures, I noticed a distinct increase, particularly related to average box weight. Specifically this last week, my warrior had been stabbing some Fire Guardians nicely, but any of my tertiary characters that would kill some guardians noticed higher weights their few couple hunts.

I... I may have an issue with having too many characters, but that's an intervention for another topic.
Re: Ease hunting pressure for the less active 04/26/2016 11:44 PM CDT
>> I noticed a distinct increase

Oh, really? Now that's insightful. I hadn't thought to test things that way. Probably not at risk of doing those tests anytime soon, either, since I spread characters out across the lands and at many different levels.

Still, if this can even be characterized over the course of just a few hunts with data collected, I'd sure be interested in hearing from the game management team why that's happening. It definitely would seem to change the complexion of the assumed difficulties around character specific hunting pressure variables.

Doug
Re: Ease hunting pressure for the less active 04/27/2016 12:33 AM CDT
One idea that I have about hunting pressure is to change it to be based on how long/often you hunt an area, instead of being based on overall hunting volume in an area. In other words make hunting pressure unique to each character instead of to an area. This would encourage exploration (as per one of the intentions of hunting pressure) by making camping an area for hours much less productive, it would increase the potential for lesser active hunters, and it would make chronic script hunting types less likely to stay in any area for longish periods of time.

I have to say hunting pressure implementation was/is one of the top three reasons why I only have a paid account around 3 months out of every year now...instead of the two simultaneous premium accounts I used to have full time. The others being RSN (slow/no development in areas I care about) and the changes that basically ruined the tree house as a hangout spot.
Re: Ease hunting pressure for the less active 04/27/2016 12:42 AM CDT
One idea that I have about hunting pressure is to change it to be based on how long/often you hunt an area, instead of being based on overall hunting volume in an area. In other words make hunting pressure unique to each character instead of to an area. This would encourage exploration (as per one of the intentions of hunting pressure) by making camping an area for hours much less productive, it would increase the potential for lesser active hunters, and it would make chronic script hunting types less likely to stay in any area for longish periods of time.

This won't work. Most towns only have 1 area you can hunt in. I think you might believe that people should move towns every few hours, which is unrealistic, because people don't want to play that way. People form communities in various towns, and they stay in them.

You also have to take into consideration that many people can and do play for several hours every day. Forcing them to move to an entirely different town so that the people who only play here and there have better treasure is a guaranteed way to make that base core play less.
Re: Ease hunting pressure for the less active 04/27/2016 01:08 AM CDT
>Oh, really? Now that's insightful. I hadn't thought to test things that way. Probably not at risk of doing those tests anytime soon, either, since I spread characters out across the lands and at many different levels.

I will work on trying to crunch some numbers. I had never really tried before because my main characters are different levels in different places, but several of my less used characters are in the teens and in the Landing, so I happened to be in the same spot.
Re: Ease hunting pressure for the less active 04/27/2016 07:49 AM CDT
>I will work on trying to crunch some numbers. I had never really tried before because my main characters are different levels in different places, but several of my less used characters are in the teens and in the Landing, so I happened to be in the same spot.

Interesting....

I haven't paid much attention to this, but it might explain things I've seen. I've got a couple characters at the same level around Solhaven that I could try checking things out with the treasure. I just wonder if I'll find time....

-Drumpel
Re: Ease hunting pressure for the less active 04/27/2016 02:44 PM CDT
I always notice better loot when hunting with people than solo. Trouble is ... I am in Illistim, where not many people hunt anywhere else but OTF...

I thought it was something planned into GS to encourage going out with buddies, and consider it a BRILLIANT idea :)
Re: Ease hunting pressure for the less active 04/27/2016 02:52 PM CDT
Yes, there is a group hunting loot bonus.

Also for hunting over level, in addition to certain creature better/worse and hunting pressures. And now the Boost prizes.
Re: Ease hunting pressure for the less active 04/28/2016 02:15 PM CDT

i have noticed that my sorc makes way more loot per hunt than my rogue does. the boxes will pile up for my sorc with only a few for my rogue, and thats at cap.