Share your unique finds. 03/01/2016 06:29 AM CST
I found this years ago on a very young character. Maybe level 10 or so at the time. It does not do anything that I can tell. Just has a nice show.

a faerie charm
You carefully inspect your faerie charm.
You determine that you could wear the charm anywhere on your body.
Cast of bright polished silver, the charm has been shaped into the likeness of a tiny faerie girl. Her wings are made of the finest golden netting fitted over thin wire and her eyes have been set with sparkling pale blue sapphires.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Share your unique finds. 03/01/2016 07:56 AM CST
I have two, both of which were found ages ago and both of which I still wear and enjoy. I found the sprite in amber myself, and the shoes were a gift from Silvean.

- a teardrop of flawless amber

LOOK: Trapped within the translucent amber is a tiny sprite, a final look of sorrow on her face.

- a pair of sparkling ruby slippers (casts 130)

LOOK: There's no place like home.

I don't wear them often, but the slippers are still one of my favorite things ever.

More unusual, custom-created box-found items would be great. It's more work for a GM to custom-build items and pop them in a hopper for automatic distribution, which is how I believe things were done in the old days, but it always felt truly special to get one of these treasures. I'm assuming the assortment of box-found enhancive or pocketed items is automated, and those are nice finds too, but the fluff was also great fun.
Re: Share your unique finds. 03/02/2016 09:31 AM CST
>- a pair of sparkling ruby slippers (casts 130)

>LOOK: There's no place like home.

Nifty. I found "some fancy ruby red slippers" once and stuffed them in my locker. Because they're just fluff, and now I feel inferior. :(

How do you activate 130 on yours? Whatever it is, it should be WIGGLE MY TOES instead since there's no CLICK HEELS verb.

~ Methais
Re: Share your unique finds. 03/02/2016 12:24 PM CST
I haven't used them in forever because I don't want them to lose all their charges, but I'm pretty sure it's TAP. (Come to think of it, I don't even think WIGGLE TOES was an option back when I got these.)
Re: Share your unique finds. 03/02/2016 06:35 PM CST
The amber-trapped sprite and the 130 slippers sound like amazing finds - so jealous!
Re: Share your unique finds. 03/02/2016 07:04 PM CST
>The amber-trapped sprite and the 130 slippers sound like amazing finds - so jealous!

I love both of them, and I wear each fairly often. I feel lucky to have them!

Maybe a GM could chime in here on whether the old-school version of treasure hoppers is still around or if the system's purely automated now and generates random goodies (enhancives, embeddable jewelry, and so forth). The old system was probably more labor-intensive, but it was exciting to find something special in a box. I remember more than a few people adding some new wrinkle to their characters' habits or personalities based on a particularly cool box-found item. They were that special.

To be fair, that was also a time when you counted yourself lucky to get work from an alterer two or three times a year, and anyone who had head-to-toe alters was fabulously wealthy. Still, I miss the excitement of opening a box to find something amazing inside. I've found a couple of moderately nice enhancives and weapons since I've been back, some of which I use; those are fun to find too. Discovering something obviously hand-crafted by some especially creative GM, though, was particularly memorable.
Re: Share your unique finds. 03/02/2016 07:13 PM CST
>> Maybe a GM could chime in here on whether the old-school version of treasure hoppers is still around or if the system's purely automated now and generates random goodies (enhancives, embeddable jewelry, and so forth).

GM here! The 'old-school' style of feeder items that GMs manually create and feed into the system still exists. Those finds are understandably more rare than the randomly generated items with their limitless supply. Sometimes you're lucky enough to be IG when one of your items goes out, and that's fun! The fun quickly turns to sadness, however, when an item goes out in a box and then the box isn't picked up.

GM Reidyn
Customer Experience Systems
Re: Share your unique finds. 03/02/2016 09:10 PM CST
Oh, fantastic -- then I'll keep using Piercing Gaze on everything I find instead of leaving boxes in Nelemar or the Rift. My items are 15 or 16 years old, and I still cherish them; finding something new would be fantastic. I would hate to spoil your fun or mine by missing out on a cool item. :)

That brings up another question, though: If an item goes out in a box, and the box doesn't get picked up, do you rescue the item inside and toss it back in the hopper for the next lucky person to find?
Re: Share your unique finds. 03/03/2016 01:46 AM CST
I was inspired to create a fire Mage character around a firecat fur mantle I found in a box about 10 years ago. Nothing special about it other than a nice design but she's still wearing it!

>>You slay me woman! ~ Wyrom

http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Rohese
Re: Share your unique finds. 03/03/2016 07:15 AM CST
It would be worth checking if the slippers can be charged at a merchant.

>The fun quickly turns to sadness, however, when an item goes out in a box and then the box isn't picked up.

I wonder if there's any way to tag these kinds of items, so that if they go to the janitor they can be recycled back into the hopper.

The deathbot will come back eventually.

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Share your unique finds. 03/03/2016 10:08 AM CST
>tap clo
You tap a light brown plush suede cloak that you are wearing.
>l my clo
Heavy brown suede has been pieced together with almost imperceptible hems, leaving the creamy material of the cloak with a flawless smoothness. Lightly edged along the bottom with a rich nut brown leather to contrast the suede, the cloak is lined in deep chocolate silk lined with many pockets.

It's full of junk now, but it WEIGHs as less then 2 lbs... not a bad thing for a gnome to find in a kobold box (and came so close to selling at the pawn before LOOKing at it that it's scary).

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Share your unique finds. 03/03/2016 11:38 AM CST
>The fun quickly turns to sadness, however, when an item goes out in a box and then the box isn't picked up.

Do these items not get thrown back in after the janitor picks them up or something? How does that work?

~ Methais
Re: Share your unique finds. 03/07/2016 06:25 PM CST
Found this in the Citadel last July. Don't know why an arbalester had it but...

a suede-wrapped vultite morning-star

Despite showing some signs of use, the morning star appears to be maintained with the utmost care. An elegantly curved felwood baton with a dark suede wrapped grip is joined at the top by a two-foot long vultite chain. The chain extends to a perfect vultite sphere with lethal spikes protruding in regular intervals.
There appears to be something written on it.

>read my morning-star
In the Common language, it reads:
Stalwart Defender

Also has +1 blunt ranks.

The deathbot will come back eventually.

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p