Unique Drops - ?rate and location 02/20/2016 05:48 PM CST
I am the type of player that always saves my boxes and has them at least opened by the town locksmith. However, I'm troubled by the fact that I don't think I have gotten the "Droughtman-quality" unique loot that supposedly comes from the treasure hopper.

Am I doing something wrong? Do all players have an equal chance of getting a unique drop? Is there a set rate or is it completely random?

Also: Do you think a treasure boost would help? A luck boost?

Are there any superstitions that some of you lucky souls have about finding these items?

I'd also be interested to know what sort of items you've found lately - Let's hear em!
Re: Unique Drops - ?rate and location 02/20/2016 06:12 PM CST
Having played off and on for years I have only found two unique items in the treasure system, both valuable to me as a player, but without any real functionality. By unique I mean something that has a unique show or description.

My great fear is that I accidentally sold or threw away something that had some hidden mega power. Being diligent about checking each and every thing you find certainly helps. After a while you get used to determining what needs more attention and what does not based off of shop appraisals.

I have found plenty of enhancives, jewelry, weapons, and armor, plus rechargeable embeds, crumbly and not crumbly. No 10x db pin-worn self-mana WOF gigantic capacity cloaks though.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Unique Drops - ?rate and location 02/21/2016 01:49 AM CST
I believe it was on New Year's Eve that I found these in a box:

>some bright yellow pants embroidered with smiling duckies

Doesn't get much more unique than that.

Um, does anyone want to buy them?

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Unique Drops - ?rate and location 02/21/2016 04:48 AM CST
I would expect a treasure boost to help, but a chance that is virtually zero is still virtually zero after its been doubled.

I've found one fluff item that sits in a locker because its too heavy for a halfling to carry. (Its not that its all that heavy, but halflings can't afford fluff.)
Re: Unique Drops - ?rate and location 02/21/2016 07:51 AM CST

>(Its not that its all that heavy, but halflings can't afford fluff.)

All pure fluff needs to be reduced to gem weight or less
Re: Unique Drops - ?rate and location 02/21/2016 09:10 AM CST
>>I've found one fluff item that sits in a locker because its too heavy for a halfling to carry. (Its not that its all that heavy, but halflings can't afford fluff.)

On the topic of weight and treasure, it's something else when you find a super heavy box and get excited, but then it turns out that it's just some glaes chain hauberk that weighs oodles. Still not a bad box, but my imagination ran wild up until opening it so...

The only trend I have ever noticed is that richer creatures have a higher tendency to appear with magical equipment, but I think anything suitably special would be outside of the random generation, so that doesn't really help?

V V V V V

https://twitter.com/gs4_tahminarre
Re: Unique Drops - ?rate and location 02/21/2016 09:29 AM CST
>>On the topic of weight and treasure, it's something else when you find a super heavy box and get excited, but then it turns out that it's just some glaes chain hauberk that weighs oodles. Still not a bad box, but my imagination ran wild up until opening it so...

Still better than 30k and a chipped brick.

~ Methais
Re: Unique Drops - ?rate and location 02/21/2016 10:58 AM CST
<The only trend I have ever noticed is that richer creatures have a higher tendency to appear with magical equipment, but I think anything suitably special would be outside of the random generation, so that doesn't really help?>

Most of my characters routinely hunt in some of the richest hunting grounds in the game and I've only ever found one unique item drop in a box... that was dropped by a kobold.

<some bright yellow pants embroidered with smiling duckies>

How much are you asking?

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Unique Drops - ?rate and location 02/21/2016 12:54 PM CST
<some bright yellow pants embroidered with smiling duckies>

>How much are you asking?

Well, Star, how's this: since they are not something that I am ever going to use and the pawnshop says they are worth a whole 1500 coins, if you want them I'll give them to you, and if you feel inclined to give me anything in return, that's fine. How's that for being a tough negotiator? Just shoot me an email and we can meet up.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Unique Drops - ?rate and location 02/21/2016 11:50 PM CST
>>Still better than 30k and a chipped brick.

Ha, that is true! The worst thing about magic metal armor like that is the pawnshop appraises it for more than 35k, so it could theoretically be so interesting. But then it's not.

I kind of think there should be a chipped brick tossed in that is actually a super awesome returning thrown weapon. (Well, as awesome as something thrown can be at present.)

>>Most of my characters routinely hunt in some of the richest hunting grounds in the game and I've only ever found one unique item drop in a box... that was dropped by a kobold.

Unique not so much, but just magical it seems to completely hold true for me. I guess they have the cash to nreak out their mithril swords and such.

V V V V V

Re: Unique Drops - ?rate and location 02/22/2016 06:23 AM CST

Be happy you got armor. I have had or seen 20+ boxes tha weighed over 50lbs and every single one was coins and 1 gem. No complaints getting 10 to 15k in coins but kills the excitement of a heavy box.
Re: Unique Drops - ?rate and location 02/22/2016 12:35 PM CST
The problem I have with finding armor in boxes is that it's always chain or above and I only have one character that wears anything above brig. Sure, I get whatever the max is from the pawn, but at least there's a much better chance I could use it if it was brig or lower...

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Unique Drops - ?rate and location 02/22/2016 08:52 PM CST
I found 2 unique armor drops years ago - descriptions and shows are close, but not accurate.

some pitch black armor
had a show of something along the lines of: The armor is dyed so black it appears to draw the light inside.
was 4x full or double leather

some filthy ratskin greaves
had a show of: dirty/patchy/matted ratskin fur lines.....something something something
leg worn greaves

I haven't found anything terribly exciting - but damn it, I wish I had kept the leg greaves (or didn't lose them). They went with a whole ratskin armor outfit I had going (gloves, armor, sheath, cloak and so on....once I lost/misplaced the greaves, I lost interest in the outfit and sold everything off).

Now all you seem to find are random generated weapons/shields with some useless enhancive(s) on them and not worth keeping.

-Drumpel
Re: Unique Drops - ?rate and location 02/22/2016 08:58 PM CST

some cornflower blue silk slippers heeled in lacquered argent wood

Got these out of a box in the past couple of months
Re: Unique Drops - ?rate and location 02/22/2016 10:33 PM CST
Let's see... my wife found this awesome jewelry piece that changes the creature it displays when you TURN it of FLIP it or something. e.g. an opal eyed mouse pendant (fish, puppy, kitten, parrot). This was years ago.

And about a year back we found an impossibly difficult to open box (for my rogue at least - I've never seen difficulty messaging that high before) with a 2x per day disk making rod in it as well as a key for the box. My wife uses the rod and I kept the box for when my rogue gets older.

Both of the above items were found on non-capped characters.

My capped character who I hunt the most with finds runestaves and enhancives mostly. Nothing ever unique like the above items and I'm pretty good about checking everything out before I sell it. One of the runestaves was an early acuity runestave before that was more of a thing so it was fun to play with it. Another runestave was +32 or so. And my favorite (because I use it still in hunting) was a 5x plasma flaring runestave (love plasma flares in the temple).

So no complaints other than I still feel my non-capped characters have better odds at the 'fun' loot while it feels like being capped is a handicap in that regard. The other factor is probably that all of my non-capped characters hunt with one of my wife's characters while my capped character generally hunts solo. It's my understanding that group hunting can be a somewhat significant factor in boosting the loot into that 'fun' range.

-- Robert

Bazzelwyn says, "Maul maul maul maul maul maul maul."
Bazzelwyn says, "The answer is maul."
Re: Unique Drops - ?rate and location 02/23/2016 09:29 AM CST
Coolest thing I ever found -- YEARS AGO -- was a box. In the box was a ribbon and an envelope. In the envelope was a love letter.

These are in the Loft room bolted to the coffee table in the WL-branch of the Beacon Hall Annex (it's in the Kobold Village).

Besides some modest enhancives and stuff, I'm not sure all what I've found that was clearly designed by a human and not the hopper.

As for pure fluff, it should generally go in non-functional locations as well. I'd like to see a merchant come by that converts things to non-functional. There are definitely cool items I have or made that take up enhancive slots. They don't seem to really do anything so they might as well not count towards functionality.

The deathbot will come back eventually.

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Unique Drops - ?rate and location 02/23/2016 02:23 PM CST
>> Coolest thing I ever found -- YEARS AGO -- was a box. In the box was a ribbon and an envelope. In the envelope was a love letter.

I remember you sharing that at some event. That is a pretty neat thing to find!

-- Robert

Bazzelwyn says, "Maul maul maul maul maul maul maul."
Bazzelwyn says, "The answer is maul."
Re: Unique Drops - ?rate and location 02/23/2016 02:28 PM CST
I always thought it would be cool if items could be found in these random containers the treasure system spits out. But they're always empty instead. :(

~ Methais
Re: Unique Drops - ?rate and location 02/23/2016 02:53 PM CST
If I may make a suggestion to the higher powers, would it be possible to (even slightly) increase the rate of unique GM drops? I would much rather receive some items with character than another enhancing from Roger.

No offense to Roger ;)
Re: Unique Drops - ?rate and location 02/24/2016 10:05 AM CST
>>I always thought it would be cool if items could be found in these random containers the treasure system spits out. But they're always empty instead. :(

Years ago, and I mean like a decade ago, I found a beaded pouch on a goblin, inside the pouch was a talisman of some sort. Bard-song told a story about a kobold shaman, before there were kobold shaman to massacre. It was a neat little fluff item, which I have no idea whatever happened to.

- Guards haul off the stupid corpse. -
Re: Unique Drops - ?rate and location 02/28/2016 07:57 PM CST
Who is to say they haven't tried?

i remember a name in red years back, trying to explain how it wasn't so easy just to add stuff to the hopper. supposedly a lot of red tape involved.
I don't remember who explained it,(I really want to say it was Khaladon, this is how far back we're looking here,) but i do remember that it kind of reminded me of the scene in office space where 3 different people call up to yell about the wrong cover sheet on the TPS report.

And since i don't want my post pulled. i'll just pass on the obvious joke that i could make. :P

~Hapenlok
Re: Unique Drops - ?rate and location 02/29/2016 09:02 PM CST
Reading back, I see that Wyrom and a couple other made some announcements when some special items went into the hopper. It would be awesome if the GMs would do that more often - even once a month, it would at least stir some excitement.

And, back to the grind...
Re: Unique Drops - ?rate and location 03/01/2016 06:10 AM CST
One thing that could be really neat with this sort of thing, if possible, is more historical items that only appear in their general zones. So some neat Elven item would only appear near one of the elven cities.

But in any case, I would like to see more neat historical items show up in treasure.

V V V V V

Re: Unique Drops - ?rate and location 03/01/2016 07:39 AM CST
>Reading back, I see that Wyrom and a couple other made some announcements when some special items went into the hopper. It would be awesome if the GMs would do that more often - even once a month, it would at least stir some excitement.

This.

~ Methais