Service 08/14/2017 05:49 AM CDT
Just typed SERVICE SHOW while sitting in Icemule and I seem to be getting as least some results from the Landing as well as Mule. I'm shown in IMT's Town Center but there's also someone listed as being in "Town Square Central" and there's someone sitting at a table in the raging thrak showing too.

Has this always been the case? I thought you were only supposed to see those that are in the town you're in?

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Service 08/14/2017 08:07 AM CDT

>Has this always been the case? I thought you were only supposed to see those that are in the town you're in?

since you can easily ring or take the local chronomage (5k per day) to the Landing and Solhaven from Icemule, it shows the service for all 3 and ditto for the other two towns.
Re: Service 08/14/2017 03:04 PM CDT
Huh... I never noticed that when I was in the Landing... I always thought that the amunet areas were the service areas.

While I get the reason, it really makes it difficult to tell who's in Icemule unless the name of the room they're in has the name of the town in it (I'm really not familiar with Icemule at all). Would be a lot more helpful if it also said which town/environs folk were in.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Service 08/16/2017 08:29 AM CDT
It needs an option to filter by town as well as by service type. Its not critical if you are looking for a service in the Landing, or if its a rare service, but I've given up using it in Icemule for common services.
Re: Service 08/16/2017 08:31 AM CDT

>but I've given up using it in Icemule for common services.

why not just spend 5k for the pass?
Re: Service 08/16/2017 10:37 AM CDT
>why not just spend 5k for the pass?

Because I'm going to use a local service. It'll be the NPC or bench if there isn't a local player providing it. Spam from Landing now crowds out what previously was a useful tool to determining that in Icemule.
Re: Service 08/16/2017 10:41 AM CDT

>Spam from Landing now crowds out what previously was a useful tool to determining that in Icemule.

Why is it spam if you can ring there? Your argument seems a little silly to me, it's not like you have to go to Teras or that people in the Landing are much different. People asked for this change because those areas are easy to get to. It also leads to more IG interaction, which using the town smith or healer doesn't provide.
Re: Service 08/16/2017 03:24 PM CDT
<Why is it spam if you can ring there? Your argument seems a little silly to me, it's not like you have to go to Teras or that people in the Landing are much different. People asked for this change because those areas are easy to get to. It also leads to more IG interaction, which using the town smith or healer doesn't provide.>

What about low level characters where running to the Landing is still a dangerous proposition? Unless I'm mistaken, Icemule is still a starter town and those people aren't likely to have a ring set for them to just pop over to the Landing to get that missing leg and gushing neck healed.... Heck, when I'm hunting in the Rift I have a hard enough time convincing myself to go all the way to Mule rather then Pinefar unless I absolutely have to.... I'm not about to extend that trip to the Landing or try to keep track of where multiple rings are set (setting one to the other side of the slippery part of the trail is way more important to me).

I'm not against it showing all three towns at once for those that find it convenient, but it won't hurt anyone if there's a way to see just who's local too if one wants to. Heck, when I'm hunting in the Rift I have a hard enough time convincing myself to go all the way to Mule rather then Pinefar unless I absolutely have to.... I'm not about to extend that trip to the Landing or try to keep track of where multiple rings are set.

Starchitin

Re: Service 08/16/2017 03:53 PM CDT

>What about low level characters where running to the Landing is still a dangerous proposition?

You don't run to the Landing, you take the chronomage for 5k or a gold ring, or the travel token that everyone is provided with.

That being said, the daily chronomage pass info should be added to the starter guides because it's just silly that people aren't using them.
Re: Service 08/16/2017 06:23 PM CDT
Remember that:

1. 5k is a lot to a newbie
2. F2P folks have no access to the Chronomage

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
;tune towncrier
Re: Service 08/17/2017 06:45 AM CDT
>I'm not against it showing all three towns at once for those that find it convenient, but it won't hurt anyone if there's a way to see just who's local too if one wants to. Heck, when I'm hunting in the Rift I have a hard enough time convincing myself to go all the way to Mule rather then Pinefar unless I absolutely have to.... I'm not about to extend that trip to the Landing or try to keep track of where multiple rings are set.

Exactly.

Local means different things to different people, and different things to different game systems. An informational tool like SERVICE should allow the player to use it in a way that suits their idea of what is local, and whichever mechanic's definition of local is constraining them and that means having the ability to filter by location because mechanics have vastly different definitions of what is local.

Maybe rather than SERVICE ICEMULE, SERVICE LANDING, etc. there should be SERVICE ESP, SERVICE VOLNRETURN, SERVICE SYMBOLTHOUGHT, SERVICE FTP, SERVICE GOLDRING, SERVICE NEXUS etc. but there should be a way to filter to other definitions of local than GOLDRING.
Re: Service 08/17/2017 02:16 PM CDT
Add SERVICE TOWN - done!

Not sure about the other half dozen variants.