Gender specific titles 07/20/2010 09:09 PM CDT
Any update yet on when we might see the gender specific titles that were missing from the list please, in particular the High Priestess to go with the currently available High Priest.

Thanks in advance.

Pinklitudinous anyone?!

~~ 'o (the cleric formerly known as Rohomobo Fash'apos'troph'ilim'inzel Illistim or Rohomobo '''' for short)~~
Re: Gender specific titles 07/20/2010 09:16 PM CDT
>>Any update yet on when we might see the gender specific titles that were missing from the list please, in particular the High Priestess to go with the currently available High Priest.

If you would please post a list of the ones that you feel are missing, that would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

GameMaster Oscuro

Rogue Team
Cleric/Empath Team
Re: Gender specific titles 07/20/2010 09:54 PM CDT
I've checked through as many professions and skills lists that I have characters for and there are actually only two obvious ones that I'm aware of (and have a personal interest in) and two debatable ones:

High Priest --> High Priestess
Runemaster --> Runemistress

Archpriest --> Archpriestess?
Spiritmaster --> Spiritmistress?

Thanks in advance Oscuro.

Pinklitudinous anyone?!

~~ 'o (the cleric formerly known as Rohomobo Fash'apos'troph'ilim'inzel Illistim or Rohomobo '''' for short)~~
Re: Gender specific titles 07/20/2010 10:06 PM CDT
In a similar vein.. I would like to request the following gender neutral/non-feminine titles for females, which are not currently available:

Ranger profession:
Woodmaster (currently just Woodmistress)
Huntmaster (currently just Huntmistress)

Bard profession:
Poet (currently just Poetess)
Loremaster (currently just Loremistress)
Bard (currently just Bardess)

Sorcerer profession:
Sorcerer (currently just Sorceress)

There is precedence for this in that both Beastmaster and Beastmistress titles are available to female rangers (in the skill title group), both Songmaster & Songmistress titles for female bards, Demonmaster & Demonmistress and Incanter & Incantress titles for female sorcerers.

To me, there is a dramatic difference in connotation. For example, a Beastmistress is a Mistress TO the Beasts, whereas a Beastmater is a Master OF the Beasts.

Also, the Bard profession has (for females) the option of Poetess and Master Poet. It seems that there should be a Master Poetess option available, too.

Thanks.
Re: Gender specific titles 07/20/2010 10:49 PM CDT
>To me, there is a dramatic difference in connotation. For example, a Beastmistress is a Mistress TO the Beasts, whereas a Beastmater is a Master OF the Beasts.

Beastmistress does't have that connotation to me. Do you also see DemonMistress as a Mistress TO the Demons?

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: Gender specific titles 07/20/2010 10:59 PM CDT
Yes.

- Overlord EK

>act @naos on @
Re: Gender specific titles 07/21/2010 03:46 AM CDT
I don't think all these titles should have female versions.

I don't think "Rogue Guild Mistress" or "Grandmistress of the Rogue Guild" has the same ring. I don't know why. I think in real life, male or female, the MC is the Master of Ceremonies. Anyone disagree? I've just ever heard of a "Grandmistress" in real life. Maybe it's because once women moved into certain leadership roles in the modern world, their titles became gender-neutralized. Like, at prep schools, Headmaster became Head of School, not Headmistress.

And turning Marksman into Markswoman, Crossbowman into Crossbowwoman, etc just sounds silly.

But I like the ones I read posted earlier in this thread.

-E
Re: Gender specific titles 07/21/2010 08:37 AM CDT
<<I don't think all these titles should have female versions.

<<I don't think "Rogue Guild Mistress" or "Grandmistress of the Rogue Guild" has the same ring. I don't know why. I think in real life, male or female, the MC is the Master of Ceremonies. Anyone disagree? I've just ever heard of a "Grandmistress" in real life. Maybe it's because once women moved into certain leadership roles in the modern world, their titles became gender-neutralized. Like, at prep schools, Headmaster became Head of School, not Headmistress.

<<And turning Marksman into Markswoman, Crossbowman into Crossbowwoman, etc just sounds silly.--Eulogia

Personally, I totally agree! And I don't see master as necessarily being a male-only word any more. I'm a guild master (not really, I lack the patience to do the guild). A guild mistress (to me) would be the resident woman of loose morals that the guild keeps around... <g>

Some titles do make a good gender-specific split, but some of them (again to me, personal opinion) just really don't need a gendered version.

--Xynwen--
"My real name is Mephistopheles, but you can call me baby"
Re: Gender specific titles 07/21/2010 08:41 AM CDT
How come there is only a charwoman and not a charman?

Don't squeeze the charman.

Hugs,

~Jay

"Seriously, when I see "Uninvited" cartoon hearts flutter around my head."
Re: Gender specific titles 07/21/2010 08:53 AM CDT
Outside of use in the Catholic church I've always thought of Priest as a gender neutral word. Priestess sounds silly at best to me.

Olivier/Chivalrous-Proud inventor of the causality destroying Droit ballista

(OOC) You whisper to Oweodry, "What do you think about that ACT she just did?"
>
(OOC) Oweodry's player whispers, "I think it's called the ACT verb not the IMPLICATE verb."
Re: Gender specific titles 07/21/2010 09:05 AM CDT
>>Priestess sounds silly at best to me

Tell that to the Ancient Egyptians and latter day pagan religions ;)

But I agree, a lot of the titles don't lend themselves to gender specific derivations such as Guild Master hence I only suggested a couple of them be considered.

Lady Rohese
I'm on the Tweetdeck, Captain, shall I engage the hyperdrive?
Laphrael
Make it so

Re: Gender specific titles 07/21/2010 10:34 AM CDT
Some titles do make a good gender-specific split, but some of them (again to me, personal opinion) just really don't need a gendered version.

I agree. Do we really need to supplement "manhole covers" with "womanhole covers" in the name of gender equality? That just sounds so wrong.
Re: Gender specific titles 07/21/2010 12:02 PM CDT
Oddly, I've always considered mistress to be just the female version of master, particularly in the setting we are referring to. I've never thought of mistress as being subservient.

While I can appreciate not all women want to be differentiated from men, I see that as a more modern concept. I'm sure there have been women of all eras who expected to be treated as the equals of men. This varies even amongst my own characters.

I would consider it a disservice to not at least have master/mistress titles as options, where they make sense.

An example where they don't make sense, to me, would be when it's not referencing a relationship--Master Healer, Master Alchemist, Guild Master--these things refer back to a skill that has been mastered as opposed to something that is being "lorded over".

I see woodmaster and woodmistress as being exactly the same thing: Someone who has some sort of special relationship and understanding with the woods.

Same with beastmaster/beastmistress; this is someone who has some sort of "power" over creatures.

I do see some female characters as being more of a "master" than a "mistress".

That said, I can see Alisaire being "master". I try not to look her in the face, though, so I can't be sure.
Re: Gender specific titles 07/21/2010 12:08 PM CDT
Lol.

I'll master you!

- Overlord EK

>act @naos on @
Re: Gender specific titles 07/21/2010 01:29 PM CDT
If females get the option of either Priest or Priestess, males should too. There shouldn't be a gender specific title that is only for females, unless there is also a gender specific title that is only for males.

Either both get the choice, or neither do.

I don't see male followers of male deities wanting to exercise the option of a Priestess title, but male followers of female deities might.
Re: Gender specific titles 07/21/2010 02:02 PM CDT
You master skills, not mistress them. Master is gender-specific only when used by itself. I have a hard time with the Enchantress title. I'd rather my wizard be known as an Enchanter.
Re: Gender specific titles 07/21/2010 02:34 PM CDT
What's this about mistresses for guild masters? Whichever one gets assigned to me can find me in the Illistim chapter.

-Keleborrn.
Re: Gender specific titles 07/21/2010 06:06 PM CDT
Oh, oh! I have helpful suggestions for gender specific titles!

Male Character the Man
Female Character the Woman

Example:

Eugenides the Man.
Rimalon the Woman.

~Eugenides, The Last

You monotonously drone, "Bwaaaaaaaaaah."

Aydan monotonously drones, "Bwaaaaaaaah."

A barn owl says, "Bwaaaaaaaaah."
Re: Gender specific titles 07/21/2010 07:26 PM CDT
>>Incanter & Incantress titles for female sorcerers.

Is there really an Incantress title? Isn't that just a bit silly? That would be like calling my lock picker a lock pickeress, just adding an 'ess' to any title/job.
Re: Gender specific titles 07/21/2010 07:32 PM CDT
>>Eugenides the Man.
>>Rimalon the Woman.

>>~Eugenides, The Last

Wow, that's good for the lulz. If I may throw my support behind the suggestion. I'd be less confused when dealing with Rimalon, if she had such a title.

~Galenok
Re: Gender specific titles 07/21/2010 09:15 PM CDT

I am not opposed.

-Sea Wizard

You reach into the cauldron and take out a silvery monogram rocket.
The cauldron raises up two of its legs and clasps them in victory.
Re: Gender specific titles 07/21/2010 09:22 PM CDT
<<If you would please post a list of the ones that you feel are missing, that would be extremely helpful. Thanks. GameMaster Oscuro

Sea Wizardess

~Mikoguchi Chydenar; Jackal Corps

<<Auchand whispers, "That's the fifth moon, kthx."

<<You bury your face in your hands.
Re: Gender specific titles 07/21/2010 10:15 PM CDT
>>You master skills, not mistress them. Master is gender-specific only when used by itself. I have a hard time with the Enchantress title. I'd rather my wizard be known as an Enchanter.

en·chant·ress
   /ɛnˈtʃæntrɪs, -ˈtʃɑn-/ Show Spelled[en-chan-tris, -chahn-] Show IPA
–noun
a woman who practices magic; sorceress.
an irresistibly charming or fascinating woman: an enchantress who breaks men's hearts.

Replace enchantress with heartbreaker!

~ The girl behind Debia

Contribute to the economy of Debia! You too can make a difference!
http://pshops.lichproject.org/shops/3792
Re: Gender specific titles 07/21/2010 10:16 PM CDT
>>Eugenides the Man.
>>Rimalon the Woman.

>>~Eugenides, The Last

Shouldn't it be Eugenides THE Man or Rimalon THE woman?

Or Rimalon THE woMAN?

~ The girl behind Debia

Contribute to the economy of Debia! You too can make a difference!
http://pshops.lichproject.org/shops/3792
Re: Gender specific titles 07/21/2010 10:33 PM CDT
Or maybe..

Rimalon the Eugenides,

and

Eugenides the Rimalon!

Though I'm not sure poor Droit would like potentially being married to Rimalon AND Eugenides..

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath