Warcamp difficulty 06/02/2014 10:12 PM CDT
Hey, so I've started going through GoS for the first time. I do enjoy and appreciate the work that went into it, and for the most part enjoy the tasks/ect, but the warcamp difficulty is ridiculous; constantly swarming which wouldn't necessarily be bad by itself, but every mob has a disablement effect ewave/implode/spikethorn/cmans, and if one lands on me it's over. I find myself constantly dying over and over trying to gain ranks. and while I am certain I will master, I doubt I'll ever go back into one after mastering; if that's the intention of the warcamp difficulty to turn players off from doing them.. then you succeeded in my case. even Cmans/Ewaves are fine, just turn off the constant boil earth/major ewave/spike thorn/implosion and fully spelled up mobs generating with wall of force + spirit guide..

it's a bit ridiculous when something walks in that I have 0 chance of killing and gets to implode/major ewave or just hit me with a 117'd attack strength before I get a chance to anticipate anything.

needless to way the warcamp experience is not very fun, for the most part warcamps for me are ewave, swing, swing, run wait for stuff to follow did something die? great wait a second then go back and search. rinse repeat. even being force to that level of cheese I'm still dying constantly.

that being said.. I guess you guys have to scale diffiuclty to those who have 5 slaves and can be fully spell tanked 24/7... which sadly I cannot, and should not be necessary.

went through around deeds in the past 15 ranks.. yay? is that supposed to be fun? for me or for the clerics? or all the wasted time I get to sit there dead?
Re: Warcamp difficulty 06/03/2014 12:22 AM CDT
Other than 1 rank, you don't need to enter warcamps to advance if you are having issues.

You can group up, you can get outside spells (don't need slave accts). Having razed many of them when the western mainland didn't have much capped options, at the time a low TD non-GoS warrior (and prior to berserk + MOC/mstrike improvements), I recognize the challenge they can be when you're trying them at an advanced level (so that they have all those killer cmans & AoE spells).

If it's too difficult, skip it. If not, use the tactics you mentioned of hit and run (not sure what profession you are), spell tank and realize you may always get hit with an instant death or roundtime lock from a series of unfortunate events. Personally, sounds like a challenge (fun) to me.

Good luck.
Re: Warcamp difficulty 06/03/2014 12:39 AM CDT
Exactly, except for the rank that requires you to raze 5 camps, you don't ever need to enter another camp.

Warcamps were never designed with the intention of them being hunted alone. That being said, it can be done.

Personally I love the challenge of warcamps. Though I do have to admit the recent changes to them (dirt kick, spiked armor etc) are a pain. I also don't think the treasure payoff is worth the effort anymore. 1 box per twenty kills and the grimswarm are not rich.

You can use AOE spells sparingly without setting off the magic shroud.

As one becomes more familiar with warcamps, you can sense when the tide of battle is no longer in your favor. Retreating isn't a bad option.

All of my characters except for my sorcerer have mastered GoS. If COL gets nerfed I will put my sorcerer through the pain of GoS.

Peace
Zhelas

(Lord Paladin walks around Droit examining his equipment.)
Lord Paladin: How does he....How does he work?
Re: Warcamp difficulty 06/03/2014 07:54 AM CDT
Retreat is constantly an option. A very wise one. Some people claim grimcamp rewards are high. I've yet to ever find this to be accurate but those that hunt them on a constant basis seem alright with them. I find the lack of gems to be highly annoying.

~Galenok
Re: Warcamp difficulty 06/03/2014 09:40 AM CDT
I hunt Warcamps sparingly with a partner and find them to be a nice change of pace from regular hunting (either my warrior with a bard or my ranger with a rogue). As both sets of characters are in our mid-30s we probably don't see all of the nasty capabilities that the warcamps have to offer although we have noticed an increase in difficulty with the recent changes. It usually takes us a good 2-4 hours to clear a small to medium sized camp as we usually find we need to give a lot of ground or leave to recover our wounds and let the camp settle down a bit. We don't die frequently but we also tend to error on the side of caution when working the camps, retreating when it gets too busy and picking off the leaders that initially follow (and also fighting near the entrance for a quick getaway and so we can drag a disabled partner if necessary). I suspect that if my hunting partner and I each hunted the camps solo we would find our death rates much higher as we've had many a harrowing near death experiences at the hand of the grimswarm which have been thwarted by a quick intervention by myself or my partner. That is part of what makes the warcamps exciting though!

As far as spells go we use our own as well as wizard spells and small statues but not anything outside of that.

I don't mind the difficulty but I will agree that the reward isn't worth the risk. We do much better treasure-wise simply killing things at or above our level in normal hunting grounds with virtually zero risk.

I like that the warcamps are very challenging (at least for our characters) and the different combat experience that they offer. I doubt that I would make them my primary way of hunting with the current implementation though.

-- Robert
Re: Warcamp difficulty 06/03/2014 11:18 AM CDT
Warcamps...my third favourite thing in the game (killing Taladorian Knights was my greatest, most loved, most desired, please bring me more, single most satisfying thing of Radeeks life, with the exception of Phever, of course).

I don't know where your character is based, but every Tuesday evening at 8:30 eastern The Drakes Vanguard goes warcamping from their compound outside Wehnimer's Landing. It is truly a fun experience and really gives you excellent training for invasion tactics as well as warcamp tactics. And level isn't really a problem in these warcamps. Few people ever die, no matter their level. We take great pains to insure the safety of lower level hunters, as best we can. We've taken many pre-titled people into these warcamps right alongside many capped and near capped hunters. I guarantee you'll learn something about warcamp mechanics from these hunts, and you can even hang around afterwards and ask questions and RP with us since quite a few of us hang around after we clear and raze the camp.

And Knight General Svardin Odinsmane is the very best at leading groups of people into combat. I've never seen anyone as quick to notice things out of the ordinary as he is. I feel safer in any group led by him because I know our chances of success are greatly improved and my own personal survival, while never assured, is greatly enhanced by his leadership and knowledge of group hunting with invasion / warcamp scenarios. With the Drakes a lower level character is NEVER considered a "meat shield". The Drakes pride themselves on helping people, members and non-members alike, with their training and survive-ability on the battlefield. While some of our people with us do die from time to time it is also Drakes procedure and training to get that person back to health and life and back into battle as quickly as possible, circumstances permitting. You are not just a number with the Drakes, you are an asset, member or not.

So come out and join us if you're in the area and have a good time, and maybe even learn something that you can use the rest of your career.

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

Radeek Andoran
General, Drakes Vanguard
Re: Warcamp difficulty 06/03/2014 02:02 PM CDT
That sounds like fun. What time do you guys usually wrap up in the evenings? I can't usually get on before 11:30 ET, maybe I could catch the tail end of a hunt sometime?
Re: Warcamp difficulty 06/03/2014 02:25 PM CDT
We normally finish off a warcamp by around 9:30 eastern or so. However, the Drakes do something every night of the week. Not always war camps though. Tiered hunts geared to the participants level, undead hunts, Bounty help, the list goes on. We begin each evening at 8:30 eastern though. Sorry, unlike our fabulous town Guru a lot of us are on eastern time. However, a lot of the Drakes are on late and if you'd like just toss a think on the amulet and any one of our number would be more than happy to introduce you to our organization and what we do and stand for. And yes, first and foremost we are a militia, with a military style chain of command. However, we are not the gung-ho type of people you might expect. While we are excellent at combat as a group, attendance is rarely, if ever, mandatory at any event. People come when they can. And you do NOT have to be a member of The Drakes Vanguard to participate in any event we hold, or to hunt with us or to help us defend those areas we call our own. We welcome those who are not in our membership, and encourage those who aren't members to hunt with us. Some choose to join and we are very happy they do. But we realized early on that to be a member is not to everyone's taste and we don't push it. If you care to hunt with us, then great! If you wish to join then even better. But there are a lot of people who just hunt with us occasionally, and we welcome them as well.

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

Radeek Andoran
General, Drakes Vanguard
Re: Warcamp difficulty 06/03/2014 09:25 PM CDT

As I level up I have noticed you can enter certain level ranges where the difficulty is far greater than a few levels before or a few levels after, either they get new spells you are not prepared for or they get a simple AS bump or cman that exceeds your ability to defend from it, others have mentioned similar experiences as well. This extends even into hiding and I have experienced phases were only the giants were not able to see me, and other where I could hide from everything all day long.

I suppose what I am saying is that warcamps are not meant to be done solo, but for many they are possible (if slow) pre cap but even then you will find some levels where it isn't worth the time to do so. Find some others and group through those phases as this was not designed as a solo experience.

Dendum Willowthen of the Wendwillows
Supreme Admiral, Gnomish Cross Blood Line Exploration Society.
Re: Warcamp difficulty 06/03/2014 09:32 PM CDT
Just seconding all these points. Warcamps are hard solo, more or less so depending on your class. You don't need to do them to advance in GoS. Hunt with the Drakes Vanguard and get a few razes under your belt.
Re: Warcamp difficulty 06/03/2014 11:21 PM CDT
Before I capped I found solo camping easier(as a warrior) than with a partner. They seem to come out a lot faster with 2 people. Though 4-5 people seems the butter zone where even with the extra ones from multiple people they die pretty quick. You seemed pretty disgusted by the thought of spells, I'd reconsider this and be in a town with people to hopefully get at least mass spells and hopefully more. Also over time you'll notice which ones give you the most problems and target them first. For me sorcerers and their implosions are the most deadly and need to be given top priority, then mages/clerics/empaths, then the warcry jerks and lastly the lowly poor rangers who are mostly just fodder and there to thorn poison you for getting too cocky. Also being in one town is helpful, people get to know you and you get to know them and find out who to ask for spells. Theres lots of people more than happy to help, for instance in Icemule, Taverkin is pretty easy to convince to spell you with wizard spells or in ta'vaalor if you see Kakoon he doesnt seem to mind either. Just remember to use all the tools you have at your disposal, throw up an area web or a vine if you know the spell, or elemental wave once in a while(just be careful not to anger the shroud too much)or feinting the scary ones to rt lock them before they get too much time to rt lock you, etc. I also agree with the theres nothing wrong with retreating if a particular nasty wave comes out, the camp will reset in 15 minutes so you dont have to wait forever.
Re: Warcamp difficulty 06/04/2014 02:46 AM CDT
Not in GoS, but I have a monkey to find camps for me so I can hunt around RR when there's not invasions going on. Although I only have one account, my sorcerer has a serious scrolls collection, so he actually gets more spells than multi-accounting would allow, owing to all the self-cast limited glory.

I think it's a matter of finding a few tricks that work for your hunting style and profession. Also there are some well advised tactics, like rarely leaving the first two rooms. Area web is definitely a major boon (though they will quickly set it on fire, it can still use up a few actions rounds).

As a sorcerer solo-hunting I just spam focus implosion, since I, too, did not often find the loot in camps very great otherwise, and this is a tactic which kills stuff very very fast. If I get a partner, it's ball spells all the way, especially Fire Spirit in troll camps.

I'm not sure how my mid-30s paladin would do, but he's in Voln for various reasons. It's the kind of thing I think in the early or mid-20s might have been nearly impossible, but as I progress more must be better. Between getting redux, Judgment, and now Divine Intervention, I find myself sticking up against swarms of three or even four when in the past I'd often retreat even past two. And if warcamping was my thing, I'd have many more than 5 ranks of MOC.

>(OOC) Rozy's player whispers to the group, "Spiiiiiderhalfling!"

>Out of no where, a ki-lin gallops in.
Re: Warcamp difficulty 06/04/2014 12:27 PM CDT
For any new character, I would highly advise completing your RAZE task and your Arena task before you hit lvl 20, things get much nastier once they start using more maneuvers on you. I know that doesn't apply to the original poster, but is great advice. There are some thresholds where it just gets much harder than it had previously been.