In-Game population growing 05/30/2017 08:19 PM CDT
I just want to say thank you to Wyrom and to all of the other staff for the outstanding work they have done to revitalize the game. For the last few years getting to 400 players in-game at one time was a good accomplishment. Most nights somewhere in the mid-300s was typical, and 500 only seemed to happen when a major festival or event was going on, if it even happened then. Lately 500 is pretty common just on a regular night; this evening, for example, is just a normal Tuesday and there are 509 characters in-game right now. That's a definite uptick in the player population, and it is really nice to see.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: In-Game population growing 06/01/2017 06:13 PM CDT

>>Lately 500 is pretty common just on a regular night; this evening, for example, is just a normal Tuesday and there are 509 characters in-game right now. That's a definite uptick in the player population, and it is really nice to see.

agreed, good to see.

any ideas on how to get them to spend time in Zul Logoth?

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: In-Game population growing 06/02/2017 01:38 AM CDT
>any ideas on how to get them to spend time in Zul Logoth?

Other than more hunting areas? Since the highest level critter in Zul Logoth is about 35 trains, and the lizards and veabas have little treasure, hunting there is only really viable for about 10-15 levels, twenty at most if you want to uphunt wormlings and then later underhunt the zombies and wraiths, the population is always going to be limited. Making it so you could ring in and out from Zul to either the EN or the Landing would help, but making it possible to bypass the cart rides would also sort of ruin the flavor. So until there is an expansion, I am not sure of what would help get more people in there.

I think it would be cool if the next hunting ground, at whatever level, were attached to Zul Logoth. That would get more people there, and if more people were there for higher levels I think more would also come for what already exists.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: In-Game population growing 06/02/2017 06:01 AM CDT
The mine carts are cool the first time and a pain after that. It's pretty much a pain in general to get to Zul Logoth from the Landing or Ta'Illistim. Two separate areas of level 85 - 90 critters and level 90 - 95 critters would be great.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: In-Game population growing 06/02/2017 08:42 AM CDT
> The mine carts are cool the first time and a pain after that. It's pretty much a pain in general to get to Zul Logoth from the Landing or Ta'Illistim. Two separate areas of level 85 - 90 critters and level 90 - 95 critters would be great.

I'd take another 95-105 area while we're at it!
Re: In-Game population growing 06/03/2017 10:05 AM CDT
>any ideas on how to get them to spend time in Zul Logoth?

More hunting grounds. I spent lvl 28-37 there, left when there were nothing else to hunt.
Re: In-Game population growing 06/03/2017 05:25 PM CDT
>> >any ideas on how to get them to spend time in Zul Logoth?

>> More hunting grounds. I spent lvl 28-37 there, left when there were nothing else to hunt.

^^^This. I play around a dozen characters based in various parts of the land. I LOVE the concept of Zul but there isn't much point (for me) in basing any of my characters there when they have to move on so soon. Even River's Rest (RR), with a broader range of hunting options, suffers from this. I've started three characters there (RR) but two have already moved on to greener hunting grounds.

-- Robert
Re: In-Game population growing 06/03/2017 07:19 PM CDT
I always wondered if it would help to give forging a bonus in that city. Something about superior forges would give some a reason to go. Maybe give TI a bonus to alchemy due to the city of learning...landing a bonus to skinning, solhaven being a good place for cobbering because of its port city and ability to get goods. Basically give more reason besides hunting to go there.
Re: In-Game population growing 06/03/2017 09:18 PM CDT
Speaking as one individual that forges.

I would most likely go to the town when I wanted to forge and lock myself in the forge (which I do in any other town) and then when I was done I would head back to wherever I'm hunting. It's possible I'd bump into you entering / exiting the town or when I stepped out to visit my locker or the pawnshop but outside of that I don't think it would create much sense of population.

I like the town and I love dwarves but all but 1 of my characters hunt (the one that doesn't is a halfling and not really interested in this town) so the attraction for the town, as is, just isn't there (for me).

It would be super awesome if we expanded the hunting options for this town (maybe something along the lines of Mines of Moria from Lord of the Rings) where there were goblins / trolls / unspeakably evil things the deeper you went. Also a good opportunity to add in mining and smelting.

Without that it's just someplace to visit or pass through every now and again (the last treasure hunt event I participated in a year or so back was a lot of fun though - that is the last time I've been to the town outside of just passing through I think).

-- Robert
Re: In-Game population growing 06/03/2017 10:04 PM CDT
>It would be super awesome if we expanded the hunting options for this town (maybe something along the lines of Mines of Moria from Lord of the Rings) where there were goblins / trolls / unspeakably evil things the deeper you went.

This would be wonderful. There are rock troll zombies in Zul but no actual live rock trolls. Mix some living rock trolls with a couple of other subterranean giant critters, like solpugids, whip scorpions or whatever, and that would easily be another area.

Grutiks could be elaborated upon too. They're a creepy race of misshapen grey skinned humanoids that's lived underground for a long time. Are there critters that they hunt? Things they are afraid of deeper in the caves? Monsters they domesticated? And surely there could be more to their society than just shamans and savages. Perhaps some hunters, elders, chieftains and whatnot?
Re: In-Game population growing 06/04/2017 10:53 AM CDT
>>Grutiks could be elaborated upon too.

The area they are in is also HUGE given the population and number of creatures there. It could easily be split in half spawn-wise with a new population of Grutik in one half and the current in the other.

There are also a lot of thematically appropriate lower level creatures to fill in the area up to the teens like Burrow Orcs and Cave Trolls. I think there was a thread about all this sort of thing in the ZL folder before also.

_ _ _
Wyrom gestures at you, causing you to explode.
In-Game population growing (Zul) 06/04/2017 06:37 PM CDT
So, this post will focus on the parts Zul, recap the parts of interest with respect to forging, and try to further the discussion:

DVDMORSE: Lately 500 is pretty common just on a regular night; this evening, for example, is just a normal Tuesday and there are 509 characters in-game right now. That's a definite uptick in the player population, and it is really nice to see.

CLUNK: agreed, good to see.
CLUNK: any ideas on how to get them to spend time in Zul Logoth?

City Specialization to Reinforce roleplayed Cultural expectations?)

DMWCINCY: I always wondered if it would help to give forging a bonus in that city. Something about superior forges would give some a reason to go. Maybe give TI a bonus to alchemy due to the city of learning...landing a bonus to skinning, solhaven being a good place for cobbering because of its port city and ability to get goods. Basically give more reason besides hunting to go there.

PEREGRINEFALCON: Speaking as one individual that forges.

PEREGRINEFALCON: I would most likely go to the town when I wanted to forge and lock myself in the forge (which I do in any other town) and then when I was done I would head back to wherever I'm hunting. It's possible I'd bump into you entering / exiting the town or when I stepped out to visit my locker or the pawnshop but outside of that I don't think it would create much sense of population.

PEREGRINEFALCON: It would be super awesome if we expanded the hunting options for this town (maybe something along the lines of Mines of Moria from Lord of the Rings) where there were goblins / trolls / unspeakably evil things the deeper you went. Also a good opportunity to add in mining and smelting.

>selectively left some things out, to focus on "forging" & "unspeakably evil things the deeper you went."

CLUNK: The first unspeakable evil has been sealed off. The status of the second unspeakable evil is "presumed sealed off, or not accessible from with Zul by normal means.

Secondly, "forging". Something that might help is to have the forges Zul to allow access to visitors while the forge is in use. Over the years, Clunk has had many folks come to visit. As PERGRINEFALCON pointed out, catching someone while forging basically means they have to get lucky and catch the forging character (Clunk) while he is outside the forge. Most of the visits have been by others seeking to order blades. Other have been to share news and discussion of current events. Some characters have been sent to "Seek out Clunk for forging lessons". Other characters have brought slabs for Zul, or for Clunk. Others have been sent for other reasons. The roleplay in Zul is active, but really really difficult because of the implementation of forges as isolated havens.

So, access to the forge while it is rented would be helpful, perhaps with appropriate mechanics blocks in place to prevent forge abuse, or assassination or kidnapping of the weaponsmith from becoming possible.

Zul could then become "the center" for forging, with a small but decicated community of those working the forges, and allowing roleplay interactions while doing so.

Clunk

Clunk

Re: In-Game population growing (Zul) 06/04/2017 06:53 PM CDT
I always thought it would be awesome to have amazing sound properties for performing inside the hollows carved in the Mountain.

It's small, but it happens in my head! :)

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Re: In-Game population growing (Zul) 06/05/2017 04:51 PM CDT
>>I always thought it would be awesome to have amazing sound properties for performing inside the hollows carved in the Mountain.

well now, have you found the places that echo?

Clunk

Re: In-Game population growing (Zul) 06/05/2017 06:21 PM CDT
1 actual echo ...

But I still imagine the acoustics of the caverns of Zul Logoth to be AMAZING :)

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Re: In-Game population growing (Zul) 06/07/2017 08:08 PM CDT
Sounds like ZL should have a concert soon!

_ _ _
Wyrom gestures at you, causing you to explode.