Offline Experience Absorption 05/12/2016 02:08 PM CDT
I've been an on and off player of Gemstone for... awhile now. I'm back for a bit and I had a quick question/suggestion about experience absorption. As I'm sure a number of other people have, I've dabbled in a few Simutronics games over the years including DragonRealms. One of the really neat features that DR offers is offline experience absorption. I'm not 100% on all of the details but it basically works like this: The game keeps track of your log out time and your log in time. A timer (starting at 30 minutes <I think> after your last log off) begins to count down. The longer you are logged out of the game (up to 8 hours) the more (%) you absorb of your unabsorbed experience. This essentially means that if you 'lock' (fry in GS) a number of skills and then head off to bed, when you log in the next morning... you've absorbed all of it! (assuming you've been out of game for at least 8 hours).

DR doesn't have anything like the Gift of Lumnis that I'm aware of, and I understand that some people here use the lack of absorption when offline to jump start their gift with a full or saturated head but what are people's thoughts on offline experience absorption? I can see it going both ways... We now have the BOOST items which include an instant head clearer which will absorb all experience (up to 1000) in your head but will not apply the Gift. This seems like what I would suggest for the how the offline absorption would work. At the same time, we have the Gift which people would probably want to keep the lack of offline absorption for, mostly for convenience. It's kind of a convenience one way, convenience another... but once your gift is gone, you still get the benefits of the offline absorption.

I like GS quite a bit the way it is, but I am curious if this is something we might ever see? As a casual player, it's nice to not have to 'worry' about waiting either before or after I log in to clear my head. I try to use that time now for RP, and I don't foresee that changing even if we got offline absorption but again it would be nice to not have to even think about it.

Thoughts?
Re: Offline Experience Absorption 05/13/2016 08:25 AM CDT
It was hinted that RPAs and Gift might be toggled by a flag from an upcoming release this year. At least, some such kind of release related to one of those things was mentioned, and I understood it that way. If this 1) Is correct 2) Is implemented, then your idea will have more sway.

In either case, I would consider it natural that if they implemented the offline experience absorption you mention, there could be a flag to toggle it for anyone that doesn't like the idea (for whatever reason).

I can see this needing to be considered carefully in the context of multiple characters on an account. By not logging in, do we mean any character on the account, or the specific character? Frying one character, logging in another, and on down the line, might be an 'abuse' of such a system, should it be implemented. Maybe it's perfectly okay to do that and Simu wouldn't care if such an approach was taken, but definitely keep in mind for things like how players approach gaining experience: if it can be done, it will be done.

There have been resting scripts to log characters out once their mind hits a certain state since as long as I can remember. What this does is allows players to accomplish that without being logged in, and maybe keep their buff spells for an extra 15 minutes, which I personally don't see as a bad thing.
Re: Offline Experience Absorption 05/13/2016 09:32 AM CDT
I would definitely agree for the need for a flag or toggle option for those who would not want to use it.

It would be character specific, but I'm not sure how this could be abused. It would take 8 hours to absorb all of the XP in a character's head, much longer than remaining in game to absorb.

I will have to look up one of those resting scripts, would be useful to have.

I look forward to hearing about further possible implementations with the Gift and RPAs.

(Sorry if the format on this post is weird, I'm posting from my phone at the moment.)
Re: Offline Experience Absorption 05/15/2016 07:40 AM CDT
>I will have to look up one of those resting scripts, would be useful to have.

If you use lich, see if ;rest is on the repo. I grabbed one like that awhile ago, and I just modify it each time I use it (whether I want to go to clear as a bell, clear, fried, etc). Might be worth making an actually good one that you can tell it what mind state you want to go down to. :D

If you don't use lich, I can look around for something in my archives in wiz format perhaps. The script concept is just to put EXP each minute, and then it has a match check on each possible mind state. Then if you want it to quit on a certain one, you make it goto the label that exits.
Re: Offline Experience Absorption 05/15/2016 07:55 AM CDT
I do have lich, but I don't know anything about modifying the 'scripts' it uses. Unless it's an option in the script itself.

I could write up a pretty simple SF script using those guidelines though that will work.

Still would be nice to have a flag for convenience. :P
Re: Offline Experience Absorption 05/15/2016 08:48 AM CDT
I'll look into updating rest.lic

There is no maintainer, so I should be able to upload a fancier one. I'm only recently getting into more lich scripting and uploading the stuff I work on.

But if you open it in a text file, it's pretty painless.

start:
fput "exp"
match "rest", "Your mind is completely saturated. It is imperative that you rest immediately!"
match "rest", "Your mind can't take much more of this! You must rest!"
match "rest", "Your mind is numbed."
match "rest", "Your mind is becoming numbed."
match "rest", "Your mind is muddled."
match "rest", "Your mind is clear."
match "rest", "Your mind is fresh and clear."
match "quit", "Your mind is as clear as a bell."
matchwait

Change "rest" to "quit" at any point you want, save, and call it.
Re: Offline Experience Absorption 05/15/2016 09:44 AM CDT
You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

Thank you for all the help and info.