The first 30 12/16/2014 08:42 AM CST
I would like to make a simple request. Remove "Gift of Lumnis" for the first 30 days. It is a tragedy how quickly people are ripping through the levels in their first 30 days. Many make use of the availability of stat fixing to maximize their discipline and logic and mindlessly swing a claid in order to skip the content that used to be almost the entirety of the game. Quite frankly I still stand by my original thought that Lumnis should be reworked as I previously suggested but this stop-gap measure would at least prevent people from ignoring the first fifth of the game.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Be nice to Wyrom or I will cut you!
Re: The first 30 12/16/2014 02:33 PM CST
When ripping though levels Lumnis is less than 10% of my experience. Bounty rewards are about 60%. Its bounty experience that has really sped up levelling not Lumnis.

Lumnis kills levels 0-5 because you start out with it active but after your first 6 hours its bounties that allow you to zip through levels at a supercharged rate.
Re: The first 30 12/16/2014 02:40 PM CST
That's the first week of Lumnis out of four.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Be nice to Wyrom or I will cut you!
Re: The first 30 12/19/2014 03:41 AM CST

I don't think it's brand new people ripping through those first levels. It's peoples ALTs right? Why force them to slowly replay stuff they've already done? Many(most? all?) characters don't get many of their more interesting abilities until at least the teens anyway. If I had the option to click a button and lose the respect thing and just start at 20, I would do it. Those levels are a grind (to me).
Re: The first 30 12/20/2014 08:34 AM CST
I don't know. I like the first 10 levels, after that the grind begins. I'd like to see 0-10 stretched in someway.

Obviously, not everyone would like that if experience gain was reduced.

It is a shame they can't bump up Thrak to work until level 4, the messages and iron tasks to 7 and 10. It isn't a massive amount of experience, but those things are sort of interesting, even fun. I tend to ignore new towns because you can race to 3rd level so quick that message running doesn't really help you learn to navigate.

I actually started several characters in the Rest, where there are no low level assists. It is doable thanks to the GoL and AG.

Magarven the Mad
Re: The first 30 12/20/2014 01:27 PM CST
>>I would like to make a simple request. Remove "Gift of Lumnis" for the first 30 days.

Actually, I'd like to ask the reverse. Keep the "Gift of Lumnis" up for the whole 30 days or 20 levels please. They are just "learning levels" in my opinion and haven't done much for me other than getting through tediousness of early levels.
Re: The first 30 12/20/2014 01:32 PM CST

>>Keep the "Gift of Lumnis" up for the whole 30 days or 20 levels please.

Having an account full of level 11 characters, I can honestly say that if the gift were extended, they would continue to grow.

~The red-robed summoner steps forward, bows respectfully, then steps back. His hood falls back slightly and his dark sea blue eyes stare out from the shadows. He grins wickedly, then steps into the shadows.
Re: The first 30 12/20/2014 02:34 PM CST
<Having an account full of level 11 characters, I can honestly say that if the gift were extended, they would continue to grow.

In the same boat, with the same opinion.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: The first 30 12/20/2014 03:05 PM CST
>I don't know. I like the first 10 levels, after that the grind begins. I'd like to see 0-10 stretched in someway.

I agree with this. The early levels go by way too fast now. I think one reason I have so many characters is that I enjoy going back through those areas again. The lower level hunting areas are some of the most fun in the game, and now you are done with them in a hunt or two.

I'll also say I have played a number of casters up from level zero, at least two in each profession. While it is not easy, it's not as bad as it is being made out to be here, especially since empaths got harm.

On the other hand, I would be more than happy to see a way to give lower level characters more mana. I think there have been some good suggestions here.

So give them more mana and then stretch out the experience to make them do a few more hunts using it. :)

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: The first 30, fair more fun than the last 30 12/20/2014 03:55 PM CST
>I agree with this. The early levels go by way too fast now. I think one reason I have so many characters is that I enjoy going back through those areas again. The lower level hunting areas are some of the most fun in the game, and now you are done with them in a hunt or two.

>DVDMORSE

Up until Tanivar, I hadn't played a character past level 30. Those were the fun years, in a world with a lot to do.

I'm got Tanivar up close to 84 now and there is little to hunt and the grind has been only tolerable because it was the first slog through it all with some things I hadn't seen before. It's not a trip I'll wade through again.

Make the first 20 or 30 levels take far longer. That's where the true joy of playing Gemstone is. After that the fun is a long downhill tedious trip.

Tanivar Somakre

Healing, you want it, you shall have it.
Re: The first 30, fair more fun than the last 30 12/20/2014 05:55 PM CST
>>I'm got Tanivar up close to 84 now and there is little to hunt and the grind has been only tolerable because it was the first slog through it all with some things I hadn't seen before. It's not a trip I'll wade through again.

Make the first 20 or 30 levels take far longer. That's where the true joy of playing Gemstone is. After that the fun is a long downhill tedious trip.<<

For you, maybe. Different folks get different strokes from different things. I enjoy playing my capped characters as much as my level 15-20 crew. Right now I am working on my rogue; I want to see how squares work at high level, since I already have done the spell caster thing three times. She just hit level 60, and is having gobs of fun working on guild skills and crunching skulls with her bare hands. I'd just like to see a bit more variety in high level areas. As in "the Landing area deserves capped hunting! Make it so!"

Mind you, I go way back, to when titling meant something. At level 20, you could actually ::gasp:: use a vultite weapon! Such power! And people would be running around town yelling "anyone seen the runner??". If you want to regress and use some retro experience table for such things, I wouldn't particularly object to that. Been there, done that, lived through it.

But really; after 30 you have plenty to do. Varunar, Shan, Darkstone, Broken Lands, Stronghold, Bowels, Bonespear, Pinefar, Citadel ... there's something for everyone.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: The first 30, fair more fun than the last 30 12/20/2014 06:29 PM CST
>But really; after 30 you have plenty to do. Varunar, Shan, Darkstone, Broken Lands, Stronghold, Bowels, Bonespear, Pinefar, Citadel ... there's something for everyone.

>THROGG

I didn't say a sudden dropoff, I said that the fun is a long downhill tedious trip after 30.

Which is true. :)

I've given thought in the past to fixskilling all his training points into a pool and just going back to the early hunting days waving a sword on the Mine road. I'd likely have the points to train him decently in Cmans and the other melee skills. The only drawback being anyone that level hunting with him would get shafted where treasure is concerned. The monsters would concentrate on high level Tanivar though, which would be nice for others in a hunting party as a tradeoff.

Tanivar Somakre

Re: The first 30, fair more fun than the last 30 12/20/2014 06:45 PM CST
Not true in the slightest. It's just your opinion. Other people don't particularly find the first 30 levels all that fun.

-Richard/Fjalar.
Re: The first 30, fair more fun than the last 30 12/20/2014 07:21 PM CST
<The monsters would concentrate on high level Tanivar though, which would be nice for others in a hunting party as a tradeoff.>

This is incorrect, they won't concentrate on you due to leveling but would very likely run off in fear (appropriately). They have a sense when they are overmatched.

The only monsters that concentrate on you that I know of are those spawned by you, such as bandits or Grimswarm.
Re: The first 30, fair more fun than the last 30 12/20/2014 07:29 PM CST
>This is incorrect, they won't concentrate on you due to leveling but would very likely run off in fear (appropriately). They have a sense when they are overmatched.

Interesting, I often run around full offensive stance when hunting with an older crowd and rarely get touched.

Tanivar Somakre

Re: The first 30, fair more fun than the last 30 12/20/2014 08:00 PM CST
That should just be good luck for you!

But in your example, if they were instead aiding you in your hunting grounds, those critters are more likely to flee the room than engage the older characters (versus you).

So group hunting with a much older character who has gimped themselves to be similar in ability to young creatures will induce some actions where they run, more than focusing attacks on the older character. Either way, some action rounds will not be attacks so might still be a benefit for a younger character to group with you.
Re: The first 30, fair more fun than the last 30 12/20/2014 08:02 PM CST

In layman terms, you will still be a level 100 threat, just a poorly trained one. The level 20 NPC's will react to you as if you are level 100.

~The red-robed summoner steps forward, bows respectfully, then steps back. His hood falls back slightly and his dark sea blue eyes stare out from the shadows. He grins wickedly, then steps into the shadows.
Re: The first 30, fair more fun than the last 30 12/20/2014 09:02 PM CST
>>you will still be a level 100 threat<<

He's only 84; a mere babe in arms.

>>The only drawback being anyone that level hunting with him would get shafted where treasure is concerned. <<

That depends on how you help out. If you don't kill anything and don't loot, I am pretty sure it doesn't affect the treasure. My empath goes out all the time to help friends hunt or do AG tasks, and they seem to get treasure just fine. She confines her assistance to keeping her friends healed, and keeping the critters all smiley by casting empathy repeatedly.

>>I'd likely have the points to train him decently in Cmans and the other melee skills<<

Gee, ya think?
Can you say "mutant"? I knew you could!
Lores? Lores? I don't need no stinking lores!

>>skill
Guennhafyr (at level 100), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 90 20
Combat Maneuvers...................| 201 101
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 204 104
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 120 30
Physical Fitness...................| 355 255
Arcane Symbols.....................| 120 30
Magic Item Use.....................| 151 51
Harness Power......................| 200 100
Spirit Mana Control................| 120 30
Perception.........................| 140 40
Climbing...........................| 150 50
Swimming...........................| 170 70
First Aid..........................| 300 200

Spell Lists
Major Spiritual....................| 61

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 58

Spell Lists
Empath.............................| 114
Training Points: 2 Phy 22 Mnt<<

Look ma! No TPs converted!

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: The first 30, fair more fun than the last 30 12/20/2014 09:18 PM CST

>He's only 84; a mere babe in arms.

>THROGG

<laughs>

Tanivar Somakre

Re: The first 30, fair more fun than the last 30 12/21/2014 11:52 AM CST
>I said that the fun is a long downhill tedious trip after 30.

Definitely not my experience. It wasn't until about 30 trains, 20 at least, where it started to become more "fun" for me and my characters. Better equipment, better spells. The "best" times have been in the 40's and 50's in my experience. The creatures are a bit tougher and my character has more abilities. When you add in society skills, maneuvers, and spells, a LOT more fun down the road in my opinion. AND, I can last more than 2 seconds in an invasion nowadays. Probably like 5 seconds now.
Re: The first 30, fair more fun than the last 30 12/25/2014 07:30 AM CST
I am not sure if this is true for every character, but 25-30 is when you transition from requiring support from the town systems to butt-kicking professional who can lend support.

The flavor of the game changes at that point, you require fewer services from town and can count on your abilities and your friends. GSIV is a strange game, at younger levels you tend to see the general player base as "the town" for many levels and they tend to be far more helpful than the NPCs or automatic features of each town. You learn which individuals have what abilities and start making friends (or enemies) and you are starting to have the means to support younger players.

It's a nice system, but I wish that transition period was a tad longer. You always have the general player base for support, but the automatic systems in towns assume that level 5 is the top out point. I think it should be much higher.

Magarven the Mad
Re: The first 30, fair more fun than the last 30 12/25/2014 08:36 AM CST

>>You always have the general player base for support, but the automatic systems in towns assume that level 5 is the top out point. I think it should be much higher.

I agree, the town should support new character development beyond level 5, perhaps even up to level 15.

Re: The first 30 12/25/2014 02:23 PM CST
<I would like to make a simple request. Remove "Gift of Lumnis" for the first 30 days. It is a tragedy how quickly people are ripping through the levels in their first 30 days. Many make use <of the availability of stat fixing to maximize their discipline and logic and mindlessly swing a claid in order to skip the content that used to be almost the entirety of the game. Quite <frankly I still stand by my original thought that Lumnis should be reworked as I previously suggested but this stop-gap measure would at least prevent people from ignoring the first fifth of <the game.

You observe a problem: Players choose the fastest route to squeeze the most experience out of their first 30 days.

Your solution: Force them to slog through it for a little bit longer.

My response: Why not address the underlying problem? Why is picking up a claidhmore and hitting the attack button repeatedly the best way to success?

I know it isn't as easy as nixing Gift below a certain level, but how about giving people more things to do by design instead of continually suggesting that we force people to slow down and enjoy all of the...nothing we have to offer? Perhaps if people had as many activities designed for them as other games have they might be more likely to grab some friends and participate?

If that were to happen, the path to success would be far more likely to involve cooperating with other players, learning new skills, advancing in societies, crafting skills, etc., etc. The claidhmore is the way to go because we give new players no mana, no resources, no activities, no group content. We just expect them to rely on other players to...do something they could more effectively do on their own by grabbing a claidhmore. And the solution is to make them slow down and "enjoy" it? I don't think so.

~Taverkin
Re: The first 30 12/25/2014 04:50 PM CST
I think the problem is not_so_simple (tm).

For example, we want to have more things to do in the first portion of the game, and more ways to enjoy it. And for example, we want more things to do in the last portion of the game, and more ways to enjoy it.

For example, it is a shame that a lot of new characters are set up to 'race' through the first 30 days, taking steps to maximize gains in level at the expense of 'enjoying the lore of the lands.' And for example, a lot of more tenured players are interested in creating characters with levels (for a variety of reasons) as rapidly as possible and don't need to 'revisit the lore of the lands' in their view.

For example, the Gift does permit a rather interesting motivation when combined with the first 30 days of re-skilling and the first 5 attempts at re-stat allocation to side step what tenured players may consider a 'grind' to their new goal. And for example, new players seeking help may be given this as 'guidance' on how to enjoy the game 'more quickly'.

For example, the game isn't intended to be 'won' or 'accomplished' in three months (I'll leave the debate to how long it should take alone, for right now and request responders do the same here, since this is targeted player 'help'). And for example, the game can take years, sometimes more than a decade, to achieve the 'pinnacle', only to find out that there's more to be had (I'll leave the debate for how much more it should have after this accomplishment alone, for right now and request responders do the same here, since this is targeted player 'help'.)

In short, we have somewhat incompatible goals to go with our somewhat constrained resources. And it is absolutely certain that not everyone is going to think any of the matched statements above should be or even are reasonable goals. I offer them only after having watched various stated goals be implemented and experiencing the path many times as what they likely are rather than what any of us might wish they could be.

Somewhere, someone suggested that perhaps the first 20 levels should be 'free' to attract new players and give them time to acclimate and explore the lands (with props to the suggestion creator -- I'm just being lazy this Fine Day). Perhaps the combination of

1) New account;
2) New character on account (times however many - what do we care if there are 50 characters below 20th level?);
3) Until level 20 (or debate this, I only offer it as a starting point for the discussion), and;
4) And then give the player a choice to continue to advance with the account being billed (and all below 20 characters remain free).

There are challenges still to be overcome even with this scenario - but for the purely new player (and capturing the purely new player attention via marketing and induction) there are distinct advantages. Does it help me create that warrior I've been putting off creating? Not in the least. But then, I'm not the 'player that needs help' in this context.

Peace to all, and a wondrous Holiday of happiness and cheer.

Doug
Re: The first 30 12/25/2014 07:25 PM CST
>>don't need to 'revisit the lore of the lands' in their view<<

It took me 8 years to cap my first character; granted, much of that was in GS III. But the next two I created I kept equal in experience at all times; I capped them both in 3 years. The difference, of course, was that I knew what to expect. If Simu had suddenly come out and said "we're cutting all new character's experience gain by 50%, or some such nonsense, I would have been a bit peeved. As a prior poster mentioned, "30 something" is when characters start to flesh out their professional abilities. Why make them delay this achievement?

Having said that, I also think everyone should go and enjoy things like the kobold village, gremlins, making iron, exploring the catecombs, etc. One solution I can think of is to make such areas spawn creatures that are proportional with the training of the exploring adventurers. Might be a bit of a bother to code, but it's already being done with GoS warcamps. Or have Rheteger give more varied tasks like "bring me 10 iron slabs" or "I have an order for 23 rabid squirrel tails".

Making Iron: it's not just for Voln anymore.
Re: The first 30 12/25/2014 08:51 PM CST
You may have noticed I'm a big fan of designing the game to encourage players to experience whatever it is we wish them to experience. So, to piggy-back off of Throgg's idea and to steal from something that is commonplace in WoW, where I also have a good number of hours logged...

If you want players to go explore the kobold village, then how about sending them there on a "quest" or "bounty" with objectives that ensure that they experience whatever it is you wish them to experience?

Apply the same logic to all design so that we incorporate lore and mechanics, rather than viewing them as separate and competing elements of the game. This is something I find very frustrating about GS players and GMs. And please forgive me if you've heard me drone on before about "RP and G", but it's important to me! You want people to participate in a certain way? Don't begrudge them their own motivations. You can't force it. If people play for experience and levels, beating them over the head with signs that tell them to SLOW DOWN! won't change a thing. But giving them incentives that are meaningful to them and also cause them to experience the game the way it was intended to be experienced represents the holy grail, in my opinion.

~Taverkin
Re: The first 30 12/25/2014 11:50 PM CST
I started playing Gemstone II back in 1988 on GEnie and would start a new character, typically a healer, around every twenty or so levels. The game is a lot of fun during those levels with a lot to do if your just playing to have fun and not driving for levels like so many do. Levels eventually wandered by due to healing experience but only the first five were really vital for a healer. The RP was the fun back then, especially after the invasions from other online services happened bringing in new people.

I created Tanivar a couple years shy of Gemstone moving to the web in the late 90's and wandered off to another Land fall of 2000 where I spent ten years having fun with many visits back home here to see what had changed. I retired Tanivar at level 31. When I wandered away from where I had strayed to and came back to Elanthia I un-retired Tanivar after deciding to see what the game had to offer at higher levels, and so Tanivar walks this land today.

Monster combat abilities improved enough by level 50 that Tanivar was having to pick and choose his opponents to avoid getting quickly dead because training costs for melee combat skills cost to much. So I shifted him to Fighter/Mage then to pure caster. This ended just going out and hunting nonstop for experience, manna quickly running out put a stop to that. So I'd hunt for a few minutes and then duck into a Major Sanctuary for 15 minutes and read a couple chapters in a book while waiting. Got a lot of reading done these past few years... <rolls eyes> :).

Tanivar has just hit level 84 and is now finding he can only maintain his mind at however full it was when he hunts in the labyrinth so he now will be hunting in krynchland at the northern end of the Thanatoph Bowels. krynchs are all he can really hunt there since the elementals take a ton of manna to kill and he can't fill his mind hunting them and the Illoke Elders and Jarls still tend to quickly do him in with the giant hand spells, got to start getting that anti-crush armor adjustment as a routine thing.

Tried OTF but that didn't work out very well. Not a spot for a hunting Pure, at least an empath pure. Hopefully the Rift will prove a good hunting spot.

I think he'll settle back into the town healer scene in another half dozen levels. He should be close enough to capped to hunt with just about anyone by then and he'll just hunt in groups. That was always the fun part of Gemstone II and III anyway. :)

Tanivar Somakre

Re: The first 30 12/26/2014 01:10 AM CST
<I think he'll settle back into the town healer scene in another half dozen levels. He should be close enough to capped to hunt with just about anyone by then and he'll just hunt in groups. <That was always the fun part of Gemstone II and III anyway. :)

As I see it, if we provide the mechanical support for grouping we should see more players actively seeking partners for mutual gain. The problem from my perspective is that there is so little support for such activities in this game. And it's a bit ironic, given that this game prides itself on the social aspects. But as I said before, I think some players and even GMs have a tendency to look at the social (RP) and game mechanics (G) aspects as separate entities at odds with one another. Yet a player like yourself who clearly expresses some frustration with solitary hunting and obviously wants to socialize, finds himself unable to find willing partners.

I think we need to make more of an effort to move away from that. Mechanics like the bounty system were a BIG step in the right direction. For example, grouping up for bandit tasks especially, but also the various creature tasks that can be shared. Bandits are the best example because they provide the best group incentives due to faster spawn rates in groups as well as ambush/trap mechanics that wreak havoc on solo hunters. And the rewards for completing AG tasks draw most players in. It's a perfect example of game mechanics driving social interaction.

Think about who your friends are in this game. Do they also tend to be your hunting partners? Design incentives that players find rewarding to draw them in. Design mechanics which favor groups. And players will participate. We can't afford to continue a policy of complaining that people don't want to socialize when we refuse to take the necessary steps to encourage the social aspects of this game by design. It's not that players are anti-social. It's that we've designed a game that essentially places socializing at odds with mechanical goals. Fix that and we can change everything.

~Taverkin