Confluence Updates 04/25/2015 03:22 PM CDT
The following updates have been made to the Elemental Confluence hunting ground:

-The former strict restrictions on teleportation/location magic within the Confluence have been relaxed: You can now use location magic to view other players within the same portion of the Confluence as yourself, and the Confluence now has a special "out-of-realm" vision in Locate Person (116) to better allow pin-pointing where exactly someone is. You can now use teleport magic within the Confluence though, if you are not attuned, there is a chance for an elemental backlash to cause damage and disrupt the teleportation attempt. Further, general return magic (like Spirit Guide (130), Symbol of Return, etc) will attempt to return you to within a room or two of a point of elemental tranquility.

-Confluence portals will be much less likely to spawn on the trails between towns and will not intermingle Confluence portals from different towns in the same area. This should greatly reduce/eliminate the issue where someone could enter a portal near Icemule and, upon exit, find themselves close to Solhaven. It will take a few days for the portals to fully adjust to this new spawn scheme.

-The breath weapon maneuver attack of the air elementals has been adjusted to not inflict RT even if the maneuver is successfully resisted. Cold damage now slows down air elementals temporarily.

-Earth elementals should no longer be falling on players when they are already prone.

The previously mentioned treasure and UCS updates are still pending.

Coase
Re: Confluence Updates 04/25/2015 03:36 PM CDT
>-The breath weapon maneuver attack of the air elementals has been adjusted to not inflict RT even if the maneuver is successfully resisted.

Thanks for the updates. I love them all so far, but this one in particular should make the place much more manageable.

~Brian, Sepher's player

(Kaldonis does not like Sepher and thinks he is wasting time.)
Re: Confluence Updates 04/25/2015 05:00 PM CDT
Great updates so far! Thanks for working on these and making it a more 'possible' place for me to hunt.

I'd love to see a "common area" where rescues could go and possibly all confluence's merge together. Something like that of Idolone. You could branch out to different places, but rescues would bring you back to the center. Maybe a central confluence void? And once you leave it you're back out into the confluence you started in? Or, maybe there's permanent tranquility point within the central confluence void as well as random ones within each confluence.

Just be a little nicer for those of us who enjoy rescuing.
Re: Confluence Updates 04/26/2015 06:47 AM CDT
Great updates, Thank you!
Re: Confluence Updates 04/26/2015 05:46 PM CDT
This all seems positive.

Especially the rescue and air elemental updates.

Thanks, Coase.

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein
Re: Confluence Updates 04/26/2015 09:20 PM CDT

I am finding the Confluence much more manageable with my near-cap wizard. Maybe it's the couple of levels he's gained, or maybe it's the updates, but... thanks!

-E
Re: Confluence Updates 04/26/2015 10:14 PM CDT
>Confluence now has a special "out-of-realm" vision in Locate Person (116) to better allow pin-pointing where exactly someone is

Can anyone confirm that this is working?

I could be wrong about this, but my experience with out-of-realm Locate Person is that it shows images pertaining to the location of the caster, not the target, so the additional line for being inside a Confluence area is not helpful in finding out where the target is (in fact you'd only get that line for trying to locate someone while you are in the Confluence, regardless of where the person you're trying to locate happens to be).
Re: Confluence Updates 04/27/2015 01:15 AM CDT
Voln fog is not taking bodies when grouped. Is that intentional?

Also, not really related to any of the updates but, the Landing point of tranquility took me to an area that seemed unfinished after I rescued someone.

go tranquility
I could not find your default dragging target. Clearing it.
As you push yourself up against the elemental tranquility, you suddenly feel it give way! You tumble through a black void, illuminated only by a rapidly approaching pinprick of light. Just as you are about to strike the source of the light, it wraps around you, and you realize that you are back in Elanthia!

[Below Crevasse, Forest]
You notice a point of elemental instability.

A grim mountain spirit floats in, following you.

[Below Crevasse, Forest]
You notice a grim mountain spirit (flying) and a point of elemental instability.
Obvious paths: up, down
>set desc on
You will now see room descriptions.

[Below Crevasse, Forest]
This is forested. You also see a grim mountain spirit that is flying around and a point of elemental instability.
>l inst
The air is oddly warped and distorted here, almost as if something unseen was trying to push through from the other side of an invisible barrier. Every so often a puff of rock dust is emitted from the anomaly, which quickly reseals itself.

[Below Crevasse, Plains]
This is a plain.
Obvious paths: up
Your mountain spirit followed.

You feel more refreshed.

[Below Crevasse, Forest]
This is forested. You also see a point of elemental instability.

[Below Crevasse, Alpine]
This is alpine.

[Below Crevasse, Subpolar]
Room is subpolar.
Re: Confluence Updates 04/27/2015 02:26 AM CDT
>This is a plain.

Nah, it's not unfinished. That's just Elanthia's Kansas.
Re: Confluence Updates 04/27/2015 02:44 AM CDT
Nice improvements, thanks.

> The previously mentioned treasure and UCS updates are still pending.

I've been searching in this forum for 10-15 minutes and I've failed to come upon any mention of treasure or UCS updates other than some gripes. Could someone let me know what's under discussion? (I'm interested in the treasure part.)
Re: Confluence Updates 04/27/2015 07:47 AM CDT
<<I've been searching in this forum for 10-15 minutes and I've failed to come upon any mention of treasure or UCS updates other than some gripes. Could someone let me know what's under discussion? (I'm interested in the treasure part.)

If I remember correctly, no details have been announced/mentioned. So they'll come when it is announced fully I imagine.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Confluence Updates 04/27/2015 10:44 AM CDT
UBERWENCH
Nah, it's not unfinished. That's just Elanthia's Kansas.

:(

GameMaster Estild
Re: Confluence Updates 04/27/2015 10:51 AM CDT
>Maybe it's the couple of levels he's gained, or maybe it's the updates,

Or maybe it's Maybelline.

Okay. I can go on with my day, now.

~Brian, Sepher's player

(SecretName does not like Sepher and thinks he is wasting time.)
Re: Confluence Updates 04/27/2015 11:33 AM CDT
I didn't say Kansas was a bad thing, Estild! New Orleans is a below-sea-level mud flat, so I can hardly poke fun.

And hey, I hear you have beautiful trees in Kansas -- both of them. :D

(I kid because I love. <3)
Re: Confluence Updates 04/27/2015 03:57 PM CDT
Thanks, Coase (and other staff unnamed)!

This is very very much the kind of thing I was hoping for:

>-The former strict restrictions on teleportation/location magic within the Confluence have been relaxed: You can now use location magic to view other players within the same portion of the Confluence as yourself, and the Confluence now has a special "out-of-realm" vision in Locate Person (116) to better allow pin-pointing where exactly someone is. You can now use teleport magic within the Confluence though, if you are not attuned, there is a chance for an elemental backlash to cause damage and disrupt the teleportation attempt. Further, general return magic (like Spirit Guide (130), Symbol of Return, etc) will attempt to return you to within a room or two of a point of elemental tranquility.

I hope a couple questions for clarification are okay! When you say the same "portion" of the Confluence, do we mean the same instance of the Confluence and the same hot/cold side? (That's my reading.) So, finding the pit and leaping across is might be necessary. And since there is no relation to which elemental instability we enter and which side we end up on, we still have the 50/50 chance to enter a different side. That's all okay for the moment, these are just queries and not meant to read as complaints. I'm assuming the 116 messaging could tell me which side of the Confluence someone is, etc.

I'm also very curious to play, but how about Planar Shift? For that, we need, some way or another, to get a rune, even for the "gold ring" version. My thought is that this may work similar to a gold ring generally. Find a tranquility point, and turn your ring or SENSE PATTERN (no rune book in hand). Of course, I don't know what'll happen if the layout shifts (I'm not asking for all the spoilers), but supposing the layout doesn't shift until the use of open 740, will this work? Namely, 130 is okay when it gets me to a safe place but I'm not sure barfing on the floor of the Confluence is really what I want (so, I can make the choice to use 740 if I already found a Tranquility). And if 130 works to bring someone near a tranquility, 1620 should do that, too (self with enough lore ranks, or to another corpse normally), yes?

I'm also assuming that Planar Shift is only going to work from within the Confluence. Though how this could be coded (to allow me to get a rune, but prevent me from Shifting in from outside the Confluence with nice chalk if I bothered to write that rune in a book) I'm not sure. Not that I think paying 27k in chalk to get into the Confluence is gonna be some over-powered feature if it was allowed, but I'm just hoping Planar Shift works in some manner with the Confluence. Any easy method could be to only allow the "gold ring" version of Planar Shift, which sounds great to me at the moment...

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog
Re: Confluence Updates 04/27/2015 04:06 PM CDT
Also...Symbol of Need shows things to people in the same realm as the Confluence entry?

Re: Confluence Updates 04/28/2015 11:20 AM CDT
I also had some friends in River's Rest asking about bandit tasks, etc.

>Alanna says, "I'm sorry Kaldonis, but I don't seem to have any tasks that are suitable for you. ...

Wouldn't be a bad thing if she mentioned something about a soulstone for certain level ranges. Only a minor fix but, might be appreciated! (I knowz how to uze my zoulztone!)

Re: Confluence Updates 04/28/2015 11:02 PM CDT

>ask akr about bount
Surtey Akrash says, "Ah, so you're from the Adventurer's Guild? Yes, I do have a task for you. I've been working on a concoction that requires a glistening engorged bulb. Unfortunately, I need a specific variety that only grows in the Elemental Confluence near the Elemental Confluence.

so does this mean it doesn't matter what town I enter from?
Re: Confluence Updates 05/04/2015 05:06 AM CDT
checked gold rings:

>You turn the ring on your finger and feel a little pulse in it.

checked planar shift:

>You have difficulty aligning your senses with the mana flows in this area.

Would definitely appreciate if Planar Shift worked within the Confluence.

Thanks!

Re: Confluence Updates 05/07/2015 05:57 AM CDT
Kinda get that I'm posting to myself here, but that's okay!

I don't see that Planar Shift with inter-realm in and out of the Confluence as being overpowered. After all, aren't 9.5 elemental souls cheaper than 27k for nice chalk?

On the other hand, I can see that from a design and in-world perspective it could be undesirable to allow cross-realms shifting to and from the Confluence.

Naturally, I know nothing about the back end of the game. One thought I had to solve this riddle is if SENSE PATTERN can never be used to write a symbol into a runebook, but can only be used to keep the rune pattern in mind. Since the "gold ring" version of Planar Shift is strictly intra-realm, and moreover than I can't really see the use in writing planar runes from the Confluence into a book anyway, I felt if this approach was possible it could be a good compromise.

Re: Confluence Updates 02/11/2016 06:19 PM CST
Super late but I do not believe that Sigil of Escape follows the same teleportation rules as 130 or Symbol of return. Unlews im missing something I have not been able to use Sigil of escape (the normal version) to get within a few rooms of a tranquility.