Fire critters 02/21/2015 12:32 AM CST
Went hunting with my rogue for the first time in the area around the Eye of V'Tull. She's primarily using UAC, but found out the hard way that you can't punch skayls. Well, I had actually suspected that, after her experience hunting sentinels in Darkstone, so she had a cold flaring sai as her backup attack mode. Managed to kill a skayl via ambush, and was even savvy enough not to try and loot it. Enter the lava golems. I seemed to be unable to kill these guys. I mean, I know golems of any type don't crit, but these guys kept reforming and standing up again after I whacked their legs. I got in some head shots, but of course ... golems ... not crittable. Also after a hit or two, my armor heated up and started giving me damage. I was totally unable to kill one, and I'm 5 levels over them, no less.

Is there some sort of trick to hunting these? What about fire sprites and tsarks? They're higher level, but would they be more susceptible to ambushing tactics?

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Fire critters 02/21/2015 05:50 AM CST
>Is there some sort of trick to hunting these?

Play a monk ;) Its fine at that level.

UAC gear with cold flares, (Mist Harbor winter weapon cart has it) and being lower level than you are now. I found them fine when I was getting small numbers for UAC tasks and chunky experience per kill, but not worth bothering with at higher level. Bleeding out critters with UAC is OK if you are getting 100-150 exp per kill, but at 50-70ish, forget it. Golems reform, but they are sloooooow, and so what if several of the shots you are going to have to take to bleed them out are leg shots. Skayls can be punched but they are fast enough to fight back and have some nasty abilities so its a lot more dangerous. Have a cleric in your pocket if you feel inclined to search them.

Tsarks were fine. Sprites are probably fine if you dodge the fire mages who are also probably fine, particularly if you have ranger resistance. It was the nuisance value of the other critters that meant I didn't bother with sprites, and I never went back when I was of a level to try for them in the fire mage area.
Re: Fire critters 02/21/2015 06:35 AM CST
If you are in Voln, stock up on soul golem favor while on Teras. It may well be the last standard hunting area in the game where a brawler can accumulate favor in like level hunting. Its the last hunting area where I could accumulate favor both with rogue and monk.

UAC is a whole lot more tedious than fu for golem hunting, but its not catastrophically less potent like it is against non-corp undead.
Re: Fire critters 02/21/2015 10:11 AM CST
The trick to non-corporeal undead when using UAC is to knock them down. Typically when my rogue decides to take on undead (which is hardly ever, same with lava golems, ignore), it's a punch to the leg, then they stand, then repeat. Over and Over. As long as the undead hasn't any spell prepped they will stand and fall over and over until they die. Also, standing forces them into offensive.
Re: Fire critters 02/21/2015 11:55 AM CST
And if you don't get a knockdown you die. Punch leg is a good chance at a knockdown, but overall its a losing proposition because of what happens when the attack whiffs.
Re: Fire critters 02/21/2015 06:28 PM CST
>Is there some sort of trick to hunting these? What about fire sprites and tsarks? They're higher level, but would they be more susceptible to ambushing tactics?

lava golems have never been worth the trouble, especially against physical attacks. Don't waste your time. Tsarks have thick hides, but are otherwise pretty much pushovers. Sprites dispel like crazy, but are also pretty weak.

--Jurp