Cheap Critter Based Drowning 12/09/2014 03:53 PM CST
Drowning has really started to get annoying in the temple. It doesn't seem fair that it can potentially be an auto kill for casters. At least anyone using melee has a chance to attack the critter that is drowning them. For years, we could at least ring out while being drowned, which was obviously a bug, and fixed, and I have no problem with that, but there should be some recourse for casters. I have literally been drowned while totally unencumbered, with 91 ranks of dodging, 101 ranks of combat maneuvers, water walking on, a 60 bonus to dexterity, a 55 bonus to agility, and a 15 bonus to strength. What more can you do? I usually wouldn't complain, but this last time was just too much. It killed me even though my Temporal Reversion flared!

A spectral triton defender leaps at you with uncanny agility, and you feel your breath leave you as he slams into you with his full force! You feel yourself careening into the water, your head held back as you desperately gasp for air.
Roundtime: 9 sec.
SPR>
Your surroundings melt away as the air around you shivers with a large flux of mana. You glimpse yourself coming to a horrible end at the hands of a spectral triton defender before being wrenched back in time prior to your demise. The temporal shadows fade with the oddly calming feeling of deja vu.
SPR>
You fight desperately against both the triton defender and your own body's need to breathe. You kick and roll, trying anything to cause the defender's unrelenting grip to falter, but to no avail.
SP>
You feel the magic of your spell depart.
SP>
You struggle with all of your fading strength against the defender, who continues to stare down with a determined resolve, his clammy hands holding you firmly under the water.
SP>
The last of your strength leaves you, as you give in to the desires of your failing body. Involuntary spasms wrack your muscles while your lungs fill with water, and a cool, serene darkness rapidly overwhelms your senses.

Isle Snack Muncher
Re: Cheap Critter Based Drowning 12/09/2014 04:22 PM CST
How much swimming skill did you have? Also, how encumbered were you?

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Cheap Critter Based Drowning 12/09/2014 05:27 PM CST

Did you have waterwalking (112) casted on you? Can't you also use a gold ring, or perhaps a gold ring inside a holder, to teleport out of a drowning? You know, be like Brave Sir Robin.
Re: Cheap Critter Based Drowning 12/09/2014 05:40 PM CST
I should have listed that...unencumbered, 101 ranks of swimming!

Isle Snack Muncher
Re: Cheap Critter Based Drowning 12/09/2014 07:16 PM CST
>> Can't you also use a gold ring, or perhaps a gold ring inside a holder, to teleport out of a drowning? You know, be like Brave Sir Robin.

This no longer works as of about... 6 months ago?

-- Robert

"Wyrom isn't interacting with me, I think he is AFK scripting."
Re: Cheap Critter Based Drowning 12/10/2014 08:18 AM CST
Armor accessories and robes? I think Ironskin users take a heavy penalty on manouvers for wearing accessories on robes, it might be a more general thing.

Its probably just fumble rolls though. If a critter creams you with a d100 (open): 275 roll on a CML manouver you know its the open roll that did for you and no amount of training would have made any difference. SMR rolls have higher fumble rates and you don't get any messaging to tell you that this time it was a part of a run of bad luck.

Are you putting yourself in a position where that manoever can be used on you more than you need to? I don't know the details of how those critters operate but e.g. I lay down to hunt bandits in order to take away shield bash because they get so many actions per combat on me (at 100 actions per ambush, some of those are bound to be open rolls and open roll on a shield bash is a death crit)
Re: Cheap Critter Based Drowning 12/10/2014 10:27 AM CST
I'm a wizard, so it's full leathers that I'm wearing. You're right though, with this particular maneuver it's a hidden roll. So perhaps I did get nailed with some crazy hidden roll, but that fact that then means auto death, compared to any melee class is frustrating. I'm a war wizard, but I don't always carry my weapon out (yet another story about how as a wizard, with 101 ranks of cman, 5 ranks of disarm, and 5 ranks of cunning defense, and I can STILL be disarmed in the temple 15% of the time) At the very least let us be able to pull a weapon out while being drowned, so there is a small chance of maybe fending it off. As far as putting myself in the position of it happening, the only time it ever really happens is on a run by. Some of the critters lead with it, so you might just be walking through a room, and bam, you're down and it's all over.

Isle Snack Muncher
Re: Cheap Critter Based Drowning 12/10/2014 11:10 AM CST
I've had this attack happen to the Elf quite a few times, and died from it twice.

What I find interesting is that there was no benefit at all from Temporal Reversion. At the very least, the spell should have kept you from being stunned (or stunned as long). The key to breaking out of the hold without any weapon is simply to STAND, I've found. But if you're stunned, that goes no where, fast.

I wonder if halflings have some racial modifier to this attack.

Doug
Re: Cheap Critter Based Drowning 12/12/2014 02:26 AM CST

It's purely anecdotal, but:

- Elf
- Wizard
- Level 89
- Robes
- 1x PF, 40 ranks swimming

I die maybe 1 out of 5 drowning attempts. That counts attempts I outright evade.

-E